The "Can't remember the name of this game" Thread v2.0

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#201  Edited By Ignor

X19 updates, but the leaderboard hasn't been updated recently =/

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#202  Edited By FireBurger
@Jasta: Was it Claymates?

Skip to :51 for the blue ball. 
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By FireBurger
@Ignor: For your game, was it on PC. If you played a demo, I assume it was...
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By Ignor
@FireBurger:  Yeah. I played it on either Win98 or XP.
Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#205  Edited By Kiemoe
@FireBurger
@Kiemoe: Was it Sango Fighter by any chance? The company logo doesn't have any weapons, but worth a look.

Dude. I have no idea how you figured it out from my crappy and misleading clues. I am very impressed. It totally was Sango Fighter. Now please excuse me while I go relive my childhood. You are my hero!
jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#206  Edited By jasta
@FireBurger said:
" @Jasta: Was it Claymates?

"
Nope that wasint it, but I can totally see why you thought it was! The blob had eyes on top of its head I can remember that for certain, also it didint roll it just sort of walked from side to side.
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By FireBurger
@Jasta: Super Putty or Putty Squad. Putty Squad is the sequel.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#208  Edited By CptChiken
@Diamond said:
" @FireBurger said:

Here's another one, and it's very vague. It was on PC (probably mid-90s) and was an FPS. I really can't remember much other than I think it had sci-fi type guns, the level I remember was made mostly of stone, and it had very distinctive steps that were composed of individual, floating discs. Not a lot to go on, so hopefully someone remembers those steps.  I've checked out Hexen and Heretic and I'm pretty sure it's neither of those.

What about Rise of the Triad?  The individual floating disk steps is totally a ROTT thing.

@CptChiken said:

" Ok this is going to be a real long shot because i cant remember much about it but hey heres what i can remember. 

Its a 1990s PC space shooter, It was first person and i think you were in a space ship. I remember there were enemies of different colour green ones a purple ones, i remember the purple ones being REAL bitches.  
My one vivid memory of it is a demo i had on there where my brother had recorded the run of one of the late levels. It started off with him going through a circular door which slides open like the action of a camera shutter if you know what i mean. Through the door is a huge RED room full of enemies and the door is like really high up at the top of this open space and the rest of the room is below with loads of enemies.  
I remember this contrasted with what i could remember because all the levels i'd played were corridor crawlers.  

I think i remember that when you got to the end there was cut scene type of thing where the ship would escape as the level blows up? but i might be confusing games.

I know its not much but i hope someone will be able to help, i know its not very likely.  

Oh and if you were wondering, this is what i meant but the door opening mechanism: 

No Caption Provided
"
 Sounds like Descent or one of the Descent clones.

"
Jesus christ... you are right! 
How the hell.... i didnt expect anyone to get an answer from my pittyful amount of information. 
THANKS!
CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By CptChiken

Ok heres another game i forget. 

Again its from the 90s or like 2000, but probably late 90s. Its a racing game set on either other planets or post apocalypse earth. I think its probably other planets because i remember one of the tracks being in a futuristic city, an other was in a desert and another was in some green hills area but thats all i can remember track wise.  
I remember the cars were all kind of beaten up and bolted together dusty metal. I also remember them quite often having the wheels on like arms out at the front. The fastest car i think was a bulky red thing. 
I think i remember the drivers of each vehicle having an identity and more often than not they were very steam punk esc. But all of them were grimy seedy looking characters. 

Thats all i can remember for now but i'll try and think of more and update this.   

oh yeah this is a PC game on windows 98 i think. I remember it came with a Tiny computer i bought back then.

Hope you can help

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#210  Edited By MistaSparkle

I got another game that you guys may be able to help me out with. Also I don't have too many details, but hopefully its enough to get some ideas. 

It was an arcade game, top down, and you played as a ninja, I think. 
You can throw something like a javelin, but maybe it was supposed to be a knife or something. Anways it looks like a javelin or spear. 
You are a blue or black colored ninja fighting red colored ninjas.  

That's all I got. Sorry, but I never made it past the first level XD 
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Ignor
@X19:
I found the game I was looking for while searching for CptChickens's game. It's called Scorcher. Sorry about all the misleading clues.

@CptChiken:

Was it Powerslide or Twisted Metal 2
I would like some more information on the art style and perspective of the game. 
Was it top-down or in first person? Realistic or exaggerated?

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By FireBurger
@X19: Found the game I was looking for. It was Redhook's Revenge. I was pretty close in my description (no Redbeard, though). Thanks to anyone who tried to find it!
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By FireBurger
@Jonny7892: It wasn't Murders in Space, was it? It's not top-down, but it could be it.
CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By CptChiken
@Ignor: You guys are incredible, it was powerslide thank you :)
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By FireBurger
Csaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#216  Edited By Csaint
@smudo said:

" @Csaint said: 

It could be, I'm really not sure; I was very young when I played it. But I remember there to be a parrot not just any bird, and the only thing that I'm certain of to this date is the sound that it makes, or rather, the tune. Thanks anway~ "
Well, there was a 1995 remake with a parrot instead of a bluebird. I didn't play the remake so I have no idea if it made any little noise/tune.

Now with 20% more parrot!
 Now with 20% more parrot!
"
Yes! I think you nailed it! I do remember him parrot standing by the window~ Now if I can only hear'em sing again ^^ 
Thanks a million dude!    
guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#217  Edited By guthwulf

Hey guys! 

I'm looking for an arcade game which I played in the early nineties (Don't know if it was released earlier). It was an action-adventure type of game with three (maybe four) player co-op. Playable characters included a guy with a spear, someone with a sword (might be guy or girl), and one with a whip I think. I also remember that from time to time you had to fight some kind of golems which appeared from the ground. 

I know this is all terribly vague, but that's all I can remember. 
Please help meeee!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FireBurger said:
" @Jasta: Was it Claymates?

"
I was honestly just about to ask if anyone knew the name of this game... I was looking for it. Thanks man, you read my mind!
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By FireBurger
@Keenblaze: Haha, well that redeems the effort, I suppose. Glad I could help!
baron_calamity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By baron_calamity

I don't know if I can just jump in but I need help. There is one game I played 25 years ago that I can't remember the name. I'm thinking it may have been something my brain made up. It is driving me crazy.  Details: 
Platform: Arcade 
Time period: mid 80s. It could have been an early 80s game that I didn't play till the mid 80s.
Theme: Pirates. This is where it gets a little hazy. I don't remember if you are a pirate or if one of the enemy types are pirates. 
Levels: 
1. You are on a deck of a ship. The graphics are a bit goofy. It is a single over head view but all the characters are animated from the side. You can go up down left and right. You have to avoid pirates and canon balls. The canon balls fire at regular intervals and are easy to avoid. The pirates wander around in a random pattern, you can either avoid or you can fight. Your only weapon is a sword at swings out one block away on the left and right.  
2. You are in a jungle running away from a tiger. The whole screen is scrolling to the right while tigers are coming out to your left. The best and only stratgey is to run below the tiger as it passes you, trying to not run into the trees. 
3. I can't really remember the third level but I believe there is one. 
4. Levels one through three repeat and eventually you and your girlfriend fly way in a hot air ballon. Then the game starts over at a higher difficulty level. 

Any ideas?
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By X19
smudo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#222  Edited By smudo
@baron_calamity: Pirate Pete, maybe? 

Skip to about 7:20 for Pirate Pete gameplay.
warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By warpr
@Jonny7892 said:
"

I doubt whether anyone will know this but here goes nothing. O.K it was a PC game from the 90's where you controlled a group of astronauts on some sort of space station. It was sort of point and click but from a RTS top-down perspective. Does anyone know it?

"
How about X-Com or Syndicate?   That's the only RTS like games I can think of where you control a group of people.
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By X19

The "Can't remember the name of this game" Thread v2.0

• If you're new to page check out the "Getting Started" tab.     
  • Thanks to ESREVER there is now a list version of the leaderboard section.
  • I will also be using lists to archive answered questions from now on.
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#225  Edited By Hamst3r
@X19: 

Got a game in my head that I can't recall the title of. I played it probably 12 to 15 years ago for PC. DOS. I'm pretty sure it was a vertical shooter.

What I remember the most is that there was an intro sequence that had anime-styled artwork in it. The protagonist - kinda looked like Speed Racer - was running with a determined look on his face and was having visions or flashbacks of various spots in his life. One of them was his wife breastfeeding their newborn. Then he gets up to a hill top and a bomb goes off.

At least, that's what I recall. Again, 12 or 15 years ago.

Anyone able to pinpoint that intro sequence? :D 

EDIT: Solved by Diamond - Zone 66.

Woo!
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By Diamond
@Hamst3r: 
Sounds like Zone66

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By FireBurger
@Diamond: Hmmm, I think I played that. I read Hamst3r's description and something clicked, and that intro video seems vaguely familiar. Now this is annoying me...
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By FireBurger
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Diamond
@FireBurger said:
" @Diamond: Hmmm, I think I played that. I read Hamst3r's description and something clicked, and that intro video seems vaguely familiar. Now this is annoying me... "
Well like he says, it has a pseudo anime style, it's a top down shooter (but in all directions), the main character is running and he even imagines his wife breast feeding AND a bomb goes off.
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By FireBurger
@Diamond: Yeah, no doubt that's the game. I'm just now wondering if I've played it haha.
baron_calamity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By baron_calamity
@FireBurger:
Yes, Fantasy is it! Thanks. I remember the graphics looking a lot better than that. hehe
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By FireBurger
@Nutchos said:
" Really hope I can get this answered cause I've been looking to play it again for YEARS.  It was a SNES game. It was a side scrolling shooter that involved (from what I vaguely remember) a mother squirrel trying to rescue her baby squirrel. Sounds like a childish game but there were guns and you shoot things like a typical side scroller. The graphics were colorful (best I can describe them). "
Was it one of the Chip N' Dale games? Doesn't really sound like it, but I can't find much with squirrels (or chipmunks).
smudo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#233  Edited By smudo
@arab_prince: I'm pretty sure it's Rollerboy2 

No Caption Provided

This is the only working mirror of the game I've been able to find.
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#234  Edited By ESREVER
@smudo: Wow, that has to be it. If it is, Kudos! I searched for that game for quite sometime and never came across that one. 
Now we just have to wait on his response.
Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@smudo said:
" @arab_prince: I'm pretty sure it's Rollerboy2 

No Caption Provided

This is the only working mirror of the game I've been able to find. "
@ESREVER said:
" @smudo: Wow, that has to be it. If it is, Kudos! I searched for that game for quite sometime and never came across that one. Now we just have to wait on his response. "
holy shit smudo you freaking genius! Yes that is it! My God! I have searched for that game for years!!!!! I wish I could see you in person so I can buy you lunch or something god damn this is awesome! You just made my day :)
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By ESREVER

Good work smudo. 

Leaderboards have been updated as well as a new QotM. 

Durandir   Not Answered

Link It's a PC game where you control a submarine. I believe it was yellow. You shoot torpedoes, and one of the enemies I remember are piranhas. It was very colorful and cartoony. Not sure about the year, but I'd guess 1990-1998 or something. It was when I was young, and I am 23 now.    

All I remember is that the sub was all yellow. You had to get air, as in Dr. Riptide. The piranhas was really dangerous, and I think that when you got killed by them you saw your pilot as a skeleton. It was more of a time sidescroller. Might have been some weird knock-off made from Dr. Riptide, 'cause it looks very much like it, but it's not quite right.    

But I distinctly remember that the sub was all yellow, and that the piranha's where deadly. Also I think you had to go topside now and then to get air.    

It's not:  In Search of Dr. Riptide, Operation Neptune   

Good Luck :) 
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By FireBurger
@ESREVER: I just ran through the thread and grabbed some extra info you can add to the QotM. 

All I remember is that the sub was all yellow. You had to get air, as in Dr. Riptide. The piranhas was really dangerous, and I think that when you got killed by them you saw your pilot as a skeleton. It was more of a time sidescroller. Might have been some weird knock-off made from Dr. Riptide, 'cause it looks very much like it, but it's not quite right.  

It's not:  In Search of Dr. Riptide, Operation Neptune
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By FireBurger
@Infexis: Gun Metal for your second game? 

@Durandir:
 Submarine Fury, maybe? Probably not, but just throwing it out there. Also, I'll point you to this. Maybe it's in there somewhere.
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By ESREVER
@FireBurger: Thanks :) 
I added it to the blog as well as the above post.
jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#240  Edited By jaqen_hghar
@FireBurger: I'm afraid that's not it. It looks very much like Dr. Riptide, so anything that is very similar might be it. Been looking through that list, but still haven't seen it. I just hope it turns out that my hints are true... might have been so long ago that I remember stuff wrongly. But I distinctly remember that the sub was all yellow, and that the piranha's where deadly. Also I think you had to go topside now and then to get air. 
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By FireBurger
@Durandir: Alright, yeah, I figured. I saw there were piranha/shark looking things and you had to get air, so I figured it was worth a shot. :)
Avatar image for deactivated-590c8ae242be3
deactivated-590c8ae242be3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a game, I remember just about nothing about.   

It was for sure a Commodore 64 game, and it came with a map.  It seemed like it was a pretty open sidescroller like Rygar.  That's about all I can remember.  I would seriously love for someone to come up with it.
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By FireBurger
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By FireBurger
@Hero_of_the_Day_2004: Do you remember anything about the setting? Future, fantasy, medieval, anything? What sorts of weapons you had if any? Enemies?
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FireBurger:  I really can't.  I was very young.  If I were to guess I would say it was a medieval setting.  I seem to recall coming to a town at some point.  But, maybe not.

@ESREVER:  No, but that game looks awesome. 
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By FireBurger
@Hero_of_the_Day_2004: What exactly do you mean by "open." Like the platforming areas were more open, or like you could choose which levels to play first, similar to Rygar?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FireBurger:  Maybe Castlevania 2 is a better example of what I mean.  Like the whole world is open from the start and it's up to you to figure out where to go and what to do.  Played more like Rygar I believe though (quicker paced). 
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By ESREVER
@Hero_of_the_Day_2004: How about Dragons of Flame

Features what looks like some overworld action as well as side-scroller similar to Rygar. 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#250  Edited By Hamst3r
@Diamond said:

" @Hamst3r: 
Sounds like Zone66