The "Can't remember the name of this game" Thread v3.0

Avatar image for lobster_johnson
lobster_johnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@lobster_johnson: Sounds a hell of a lot like Heaven's Vault, one of my fave games of all time.

Yes, I think that must be it! Weird that the art style didn't stick in my head more because it's quite distinctive. Checking the dates, I see the Quick Look was posted the day after Eastshade, so that explains that.

Thank you.

Deow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4802  Edited By Deow

Hi, my brothers and I can't remember the name of the game we played as kids. It was on PC in the 90s, it had some pre-rendered graphics with M&M-like shaped characters, my brother remembers that in one part you had to drive a spaceship through an opening mouth. I remember having to choose options or answers, and there were animations depending of what you chose.. I vaguely remember having to choose between different doors but idk, I was too young. We've been trying to remember this game for ages!

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recent game, and I'm not sure if it's out yet (but it doesn't hurt to ask, especially with the Steam sale going).

2D pixel side-scroller, fantasy setting, and everything has simulated pixels like in NOITA. I know Kotaku did a video preview of it a while back...but for the life of me I can't remember the name. One of the larger difference was that I believe it had a story and also didn't take place in a cave. The game looked a lot like Kingdom.

siftypes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK, this is an obscure one.

PC title, between 1993 and 1997, I think. I recall this being an educational game, or perhaps a demo that would have been packed in with something like Encarta or event just packed in with Windows 3.x.

Early 3D adventure/puzzle game where you would have a simple 3D map with color-coded keys, doors, buttons, etc. Find the red key to open the red door, that sort of thing. The main draw of this game that I remember is the ability to make your own maps. There was a top-down 2D map view that would show all the keys, doors, etc on the map, and you would use that to sort of design your path through. I do not remember if the 3D was actual rendered screens or sprite-based.

This was something I played for hours around the same time I was playing MindMaze (packed in Encarta 95) and Lode Runner: The Legend Returns. So that's the kind of period we're looking at.

Frankly, whether I find it or not, I'm just curious if anyone remembers this, or if it was just a weird fever dream.

Miyamoto1621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if anyone can help. I can't remember a game that I played when I was a teen. The bits I remember are:

1 - It was in the 90's

2 - It was a PC game

3 - It was a turn base game base with RPG elements (I think).

4 - It was an adventure game in a distante time or world that had been affected by war.

5 - It was a female character and she had a robot dog

6 - There was a upgrade scheme to it where we could get better parts/clothing for the main character, the dog and companions that we would get along the way.

Sorry I can't remember any more of it but I hope some one can help me find this games name as it has been doing my head for the last 2 years.

Thanks in advance

SuperKMx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4806  Edited By SuperKMx

@miyamoto1621: I read "robot dog", "turn-based" and instantly thought of Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator, which was released in 1999 on PC. I don't remember playing it that much back when it came out, but I'm pretty sure it matches your description.

Miyamoto1621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superkmx: Thanks mate thats exactly the game I've been looking for. You guys are great... It took you a couple of minutes to find out. Thanks

SuperKMx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ellie419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello,

hoping you can help.

the game I’m trying to find was from late 90s, it was an art PC rom game much like Disney magic artist, except the one element I remember is there being like a sea sponge tool where you could wash colour away? Now that’s not on magic artist so must be another game? Anyone know what I’m talking about? Thank you

mxchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ok this one is going to be tough one..... i remember when i was in high school in like 2008 ish i had this top down heist game on my phone that you only would have a certain amount of time for each place you were robbing but the game style was such that it was like you were on a grid and every time you moved it used a second and if you were using a drill on a safe vs a crowbar they would have different times that they would take. but it was like when you were doing this it was like a pre plan and when you were done you would see how it all worked out and hoped you could get out before the cops get there. anyway been looking for this game for forever now!

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#4811  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

The Beastcast's discussion of demos reminded me of this.

I had a demo disc that came with PC Gamer late 90's or early 2000's, the game I am trying to remember the name of was a demo on it. It was a semi open world third person game and the playable character was female with red hair. You could also call and ride a dragon.

If anyone knows, I am curious what came of that because I remember enjoying the demo.

piousmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like Golden Axe: Beast Rider, but that came out in 2008.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Early-mid 90s kids' game for PC. It was a medieval/fairy-tale themed storybook creator. You'd place and resize characters and objects onto static backgrounds, and I think you could record a voice sample for each of them, and they would animate as they played them in sequence. You'd also record narration. Then hit play and let the game run through each scene to tell your dumb story.

piousmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4815  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

@piousmartyr: Same concept, and it looks better realized there than in my game. I think mine had fewer tools and only had medieval-themed stuff in it.

Claudia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sgtsphynx: Maybe https://www.giantbomb.com/drakan-order-of-the-flame/3030-6107/ ?

quix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4817  Edited By quix

Hey everybody,

So I'm looking for a PC game. It was released in the late 90s (not before 98) or in the early oughts.

The game is a 3D Action Adventure and has a female protagonist. I wanna say its in the vein of Lollipop Chainsaw, but I don't really remember what exactly it was that you are fighting against. I think it were some kind of aliens. Could be wrong tho. But it was also very over the top and unrealistic. The box art of the game was something like the one from Zombies Ate My Neighbours (the one with real humans on it). Pretty cheesy-b-movie-ish.

It wasn't Heavy Metal FAKK or No One Lives Forever.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#4818 sgtsphynx  Moderator
zggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4819  Edited By zggurat

A friend recently reminded me of a PC game I think we played sometime between 1996 and 2000, and my recollection of it is too hazy to google.

It's a competitive two-player game where both players take turns placing marbles (or orbs or something) onto a grid, and a player wins points when they place a marble in a spot that creates the last corner of a square where three other marbles are already in the other corners. I think the game had a kind of sorcery theme, but I'm not sure. The squares did not have to have sides parallel with the edges of the grid, so you could complete squares that were oriented like a diamond on a playing card or rotated to some in-between degree. So the game was kind of like Dots and Boxes except you placed the dots instead of drawing lines?

This was probably some shovelware no one will ever recall but maybe someone out there finds this familiar?

quix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paitazani: Thats Heavy Metal FAKK² https://www.giantbomb.com/heavy-metal-fakk-2/3030-3625/

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

@zggurat: Sounds like a variation or possibly simplification of Go.

lesblank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4822  Edited By lesblank

1. The game was either unreleased or unfinished. Meant to be released (I would guess) in the late 90s early 2000s. It leaked in the early 2010s (might even be 2010 or 2011), which is when I first heard of it.
  2. PC
  3. Point and click adventure game with Myst style pre-rendered graphics. Might have been in the third person perspective. As far as art-style think that spider-baby from Toy Story combined with Eraserhead/some japanese horror, with greenish-brown lighting. Industrial/factory setting and I think you play as a small robot.
  4. The game might have had some problematic/banned elements which would have lead to it being unfinished/unreleased.
  5. I believe it was a Japanese game from the art-style. I never played it but do remember seeing coverart and gameplay on youtube.

Resolved

zggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven10: Yeah, it was something like that. If Google's search engine were perfect it would tell me what this game was when I search for "Magic-themed 90s computer game that crossed chinese checkers with dots and boxes". Instead, Google responds by suggesting I try searching for "how to find a game that you forgot the name of" which is very on point but not helpful.

PaitAzani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quix: Oh my god.. thank you so much :D God bless you ! That's exactly the game I was looking for! At first I thought the game was Dungeon Siege but the gameplay seems wrong. I knew it had to be other game. Thank you T.T

ethanperez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello everyone, I thankfully stumbled upon this website, but I don't know how often the members here use it. I'm looking for a board game and hope you guys can help me. It's an online PC board game with 4 players. I believe the players include Frankenstein, a mad scientist, a kid in a wheel chair, and a monster of some sorts. It's an interactive board game. Usually when you roll the dice you land on a space that takes you to a minigame and your goal is to go around the whole board first. It's not on a popular gaming website if I remember correctly. I remember this website having tons and tons of games, and also having a dark colored background. If you could help me figure out this game I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much.

quix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paitazani: you very welcome, glad I could help :-)

quix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quix: I found the game I was looking for. Its "Space Bunnies Must Die".

lesblank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Archiver13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ethanperez: Black background makes me think that it might be a newgrounds game based on your description of the site.

gornogorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4830  Edited By gornogorno

Can someone please help me remember is one?

- It's a NES side-scrolling action game, you play as a Robot or a person in robot suit.

- If you get a pickup item, you turn into a special hero character (one of hero characters is a baby)

- There's one level made out of candy

- And another shoot'em up level (or maybe multiple levels) where you are flying in a spaceship

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need some help please,

I had a PC Demo disc around the year 2000 but the game could be older.

You controlled a space ship in third person that traveled along a coloured platform in space.

The ship jumped from one platform to another, as the level progressed the ship moves faster and faster, if you miss a jump the ship crashes in a fire ball.

I think I remember the game having a really obnoxious sound when the ship jumped to a new platform.

cootie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hi I can't remember the name of a game that I think was made in the late 2000s, it is kinda hard to explain but I will try my best. one of the scenarios that you play is where you are at a hotel and you go up to one of the rooms and you find a paper with letters cut out of a magazine the spells something and then I think you find a room within that one which has a camera. then there is another scenario that I kinda remember it goes like you go into a bar/restaurant and meet with a lady that has a red dress and blond hair and she gives you a briefcase and also hands you a drink then she kisses you then you walk out and pass out. one of the other things that I can vaguely remember from this game is that you are at a penthouse and you meet with this crocodile man and I think he makes you play VR tennis. also he character models look like they are flat if that makes any sense.

Eulisker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4834  Edited By Eulisker

@theuprightman: sounds like skyroads

https://www.giantbomb.com/skyroads/3030-8117/

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

edaojs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello guys, I am trying to find a game I played in the late 80's on Arcade.

It was a plataform / side scroller / side view. It was an action game and the main character was holding a shield, and he could move it in any direction to protect himself from arrows (or maybe shurikens)

As long I remember, the game was very dark and the shield was round shaped. I think the predominant color was purple (or grey).

People hated the game 'cause it was very difficult...

That's all I remember. Thank you for your help !

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was it Gladiator? Arcade game from Taito released in 1986. You raise and lower your shield to protect from projectiles and there was one on one fights where you would knock pieces of armor off the opponent.

edaojs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide: thank u for replying...
unfortunately, it is not Gladiator.
in my memory , the main character looked like a armadillo.
and the background was like a cave.

Silveral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone know the name of a flash game (i played it around 2013/13/14) but i may have come out earlier? It looked like plebby castle, the new game that came out this year and some things like the art style look the exact same. It wasn't very long and i think the final boss was a dragon. The missions were sorted by difficulty in stars.

crapbandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4840  Edited By crapbandit

Hi,

I'm looking for a first-person fixed-camera 2d shareware shooting game from 2001-2004 on PC. Object of the game was to hit most/all targets in each level, possibly balls, before they disappeared, which came onto the screen while uptempo music was played. Possibly featured gun upgrades. Remember this game from an old PC gamer demo disk, and this came as shareware - a 1 hour free trial. The gun you had was like a rail or lightening gun, and had charge so you couldn't spam shots. Don't remember much else about this but have spent hours scouring old PC gamer disks and magazines trying to find.

Many thanks

Roncy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello,

I used to play this game on iphone during the early 2010s. It was a 2D pixelated (I think) RPG with a sideview perspective. Aslo, it probably got taken out of the app store. I remember that you played as either a boy or a girl character and they had different storys or perspectives through the story, and there was a part in the story that they fight each other (If your playing as the girl you fight the boy and vice versa). You could do different quests and its title had like 3 words maybe.

Lstknt776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay here’s a potential tough one! It’s a game where you play as the “offspring” demigod avatar of the creator of our simulated universe. You stop aliens from attacking earth because they figured out that if humanity exists than the universe will be destroyed by “god” and will use humanity to calculate how far that “god” is away from the “real” universe. The god says at one point, “every time I stop thinking about you, you stop existing. My universe is incomprehensible to you.” Oh and you also travel the universe to go to monoliths to progress the story.

Thank you SO much in advance for your help!!

Avatar image for deactivated-6078b015e4df4
deactivated-6078b015e4df4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

for context, this is circa... 1996-1999 on my dad's work dell laptop with a ball mouse that was also from around that time. it had chips challenge, jezzball, the rat pushing cheese to trap cats game, this cool marble matching pyramid game, and some other stuff. so i know it had the microsoft entertainment pack or whatever, and the game was included with the laptop, because i'm 99% sure neither him nor anyone at his job knew how to download or install PC games at the time

what i can't seem to find any information on though is this bizarre first person, dark game? it crashed almost every single time or i was just an incompetent child that didn't 'get' video games yet, but i remember there was a big door that always froze when i got to it/couldn't open it, there might have been a sci fi-ish vehicle involved, i think there was some kind of HUD? I don't remember if it was a shooter because this game would literally not last more than a few minutes worth of opening it, but i've tried searching games included with the microsoft entertainment pack and FPS games of the late 90s but my god it's a long list and the game i'm thinking of was nowhere near as bright as the ones i see on all the lists.

so maybe someone else remembers a muddy, glitchy, possibly sci fi-ish FPS(?) from the late 90s that was included with the laptop. maybe it was a demo, that's why i could never leave the first room but god this is a mystery to me

Lstknt776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lacroixdaunt: Could the game be

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incoming_(1998_video_game) ?

Check our the screenshots of it online, as the wiki doesn’t show the best representative pics of it.

Lstknt776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lstknt776: Holy crap I found it!!!!!! Megaton Rainfall is the god simulator game!! Haha Yaaay! Thank you all for being here and helping people though, finding lost games from our memories is a unique joy.

Avatar image for deactivated-6078b015e4df4
deactivated-6078b015e4df4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lstknt776: ahhh no, the colors are a bit too bright (i found longplay and jumped around in it looking for that muddled purple room lol) HOWEVER thank you for pointing me in the direction of searching for 'games that shipped with the desktop/laptop', i hadn't even thought to do that and i found a list of games from microsoft demo sampler disc thing from the 90s that came with certain PCs so im gonna go looking through those lol. a fun quarantine activity

EinPazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4848  Edited By EinPazi

Its a top down game on the PC. you shoot purple water with turrets and you are supposed to try and survive as more and more of this purple water stuff comes until it either drowns your base or you drain it i think also it isnt that old made in the 2000s

clarawho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking for a flash game by Armor Games that's in the tower defense genre. It was around in 2009.

It's got two citiesone of which is the AI and one of which is the player, and they're colored one blue (blue castle, blue troops, blue buildings) and one brown (player).

Both cities start with the same specs, coin generation over time, and foot soldiers, and you can buy buildings inside your city walls to upgrade your militia to get catapults and cavalry and priests (healers?), to upgrade your coin generation and to strengthen your city walls by building turrets.

It has a round sort of cartoonish art style and the gameplay screen didn't have any scrolling (i.e. the size of it was 1 screen). It had a 'buy' menu on the bottom right of the screen - one for troops and one for upgrades. The coin count was shown either at the top or bottom right.

It might have been called 'One Last Stand', but I can't find it on google because it's full of another game called 'The Last Stand' that's a zombie survival game.

Much appreciated if looked for.

Hellscream333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi everyone, so i've been searching for a game for a long time but never been able to remember its name, however i remember some small details about the game, i used to play it when i was 7 years old i think, the game is probably released early 2000's and it was on PC.

I remember that you play as a chicken as a main character and you wield weapons and you fight enemies in space and kill some weird creatures

The game is action, adventure, shooting as far as i'm concerned.

Thank you in advance.