The Community Spotlight - 09/30/2017

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff
No bit coins were harmed in the making of this promotional image.
No bit coins were harmed in the making of this promotional image.

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, @zombiepie, am again honored to be your host this week. The Bombcast celebrated its 500th episode! Thank you to everyone who sent in a story of your favorite Bombcast moment. Here's to another five-hundred episodes. If you live underneath a rock and somehow managed to miss it, the Giant Bomb staff plugged in almost a day's worth of time into Destiny 2. Please have them in your thoughts and prayers as they recover over the weekend and hopefully re-attempt the raid this coming Monday. Without further ado, let's talk about the site related housekeeping!

Tweets Of The Week

Giant Bomb Galleria

BANNER - Young Gerstmann (By: @johnymyko)

This is what I call brand synergy! Giant Bomb user JohnyMyko merged Jeff with CBS's latest television offering "Young Sheldon!" Where is our CBS Showtime money?!

Dr. Tracksuit Arcade Flyer (By: @buzz_clik)

Artist buzz_clik is at it again! Thank him for making this AMAZING Dr. Tracksuit artwork over here, and also check out the one with the awesome CRT filter.

Bomb Boys (By: JDavidsen)

Over on Twitter, JDavidsen whipped up this work of art in dedication of the Bombcast reaching its 500th episode. While everyone else looks younger, Ben appears as if he has grown older.

No Caption Provided

Abby MD Geist (By: MastaLCom)

After her many sacrifices in the Exquisite Corps. video series, felt inspired to sketch Abby as a character from the classic anime, MD Geist.

No Caption Provided

Dilbrad #48 & 49 (By: @oddparticle)

Remember, OddParticle created a Dilbrad Tumblr page where you can stay up to date on the adventures of the Giant Bomb staff.

Community Activities

Uh... what?
Uh... what?

Let's Style Together: Giant Bomb Love Nikki Association/Friends Thread (By: @audiobusting)

We have a community thread for anyone playing "Love Nikki-Dress UP Queen." Share your pretty princesses with the rest of the community over here

Clips Of The Week

DOG BOTTOM! (By: @dr_mel) & www.dogbottom.com(By: @mepsipax)

Did you want a compilation video of every time the Giant Bomb staff said "DOG BOTTOM" during the first part of their Destiny 2 raid stream? WELL, WE HAVE TWO!

The Harmony Ribbon - Presented By the Giant Bomb Warframe Community(By: @rapid)

The Giant Bomb Warframe Clan is showed their support for Leukemia Awareness Month! Here's a video of them raising awareness in the game.

Every Time They Talk To Tom in Shenmue (By: Jeremy Medina)

Over on YouTube, Jeremy Medina is back with a new compilation video! This one compiles every occurrence of GB East interacting with Tom in Shenmue.

It is imperative you watch this video until the very end. Trust me.

Best Of The Blogs

Mario + Rabbids has the best boss fight and sequence.
Mario + Rabbids has the best boss fight and sequence.

End Of The Year Categories/ Game Of Year Considerations (By: @flynnneary)

flynnneary is trying to iron out the nominees and categories for his 2017 GOTY list. Help him out with categories ranging from "Best Styyyyyyle" to "Best Moment or Sequence."

Some Of This Generation's "Big" Video Games Feel Like Time-sinks Devoid Of Emotional Impact (By: @armaan8014)

armaan8014 contemplates if the biggest video game releases from the past few years have lacked the emotional honesty of previous game generations.

A Year Of Writing (By: @themist997)

TheMist997 has been reviewing and blogging about games on Giant Bomb for a year! Check out his highly nostalgic "Year in Review" blog.

TheMist997's writing on Giant Bomb started with a review of Bioshock 2, and now look where he's gone!
TheMist997's writing on Giant Bomb started with a review of Bioshock 2, and now look where he's gone!

Why Call of Duty 4's Warfare Wasn't So Modern (By: @gamer_152)

Moderator Gamer_152 looks back on Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and extrapolates how its "modern combat" exploits Cold War sensibilities from an older generation.

The Voice Actor Strike. How Do You Feel About It? (By: @d-man123)

D-Man123 looks at the current state of the voice actor strike, which recently topped 100 days of protest. He shares his impressions on its effectiveness, and asks you to join the conversation as well.

All-New Saturday Summaries 2017-09-30: Q4 Report Edition (By: @mento)

Mento concludes his Shelftember daily series, but The Top Shelf feature still rages on with more planned updates coming in November. He also discusses upcoming game releases for the last quarter of 2017, and praises the Specter of Torment add-on for Shovel Knight.

Join The Discussion

Does this count as
Does this count as "Masocore?"

Cuphead Discussion (By: @glots)

Do you have any early impressions for Cuphead? How have its boss been treating you? Are you digging the game's sense of style? Feel free to share your answers to any of these questions by clicking the link above!

Nioh's Final DLC Is Out Today, Unlockable Izuna Drop And An Infinite Dungeon On Top Of The Regular Package (By: @fredchuckdave)

Have any of you checked out Nioh's last piece of DLC? Share your summative thoughts of the game's downloadable end-note with the rest of the community.

Plagiarism or homage? You decide.
Plagiarism or homage? You decide.

Fortnite Battle Royale Mode Impressions (By: @quipido)

Do you have impressions of Fortnite's "Battle Royale" mode? Is it harmless fun the game needed, or a blatant act of video game plagiarism?

Preferred Team In Mario + Rabbids (By: @vaultboy)

What is your preferred team in Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle? If your answer does not include Rabbid Peach, then you are sadly missing out!

Hob Released Today. Is Anyone Else Looking Into This Runic Game? (By: @wandrecanada)

How excited are you to return to Rockstar's rendition of the West?
How excited are you to return to Rockstar's rendition of the West?

Is Hob an action-adventure game worth playing? Have you been digging the story or controls? Share your early impressions of the game over here.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer Discussion Thread (By: @nodima)

The first trailer for Red Dead Redemption 2 released, and you can join our community discussion on whether it looks promising or not.

Ruiner Discussion Thread (By: @glots)

Have any of you played around with Devolver Digital's latest outing, Ruiner? Does it make good on its cyberpunk potential, or should people just watch Blade Runner 2049 for that fix?

Games That Got Lost In The Sea Of Releases (2017 Edition) (By: @hanihani)

You are looking at the best character of 2017
You are looking at the best character of 2017

Which games will go down as the "buried treasures" of 2017? Share and discuss the video games you think got lost in the mix this year.

Lovable Lists

Find our who put Disaster Report on their list!
Find our who put Disaster Report on their list!

Some Of My Favorite Video Game Characters (By: @borealum)

Whether it be awesome voice acting, or great story arcs, borealum ranks his all-time favorite video game characters on this list.

Starter Pokemon Ranked (By: @randizzledante)

It's another ranking of the best starter Pokemon! This list ranks each starter based on their "awesomeness." See how your favorites ranked.

Some Thoughts On Video Games: September 2017 (By: @riostarwind)

I love random lists of video games. Riostarwind loves random lists of video games. You love random lists of video games. Let's come together and check out this random list of video games.

Useful User Reviews

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Lots of videos this week!

And don't "Uh...what?" me about Love Nikki-Dress UP Queen. That is a fine game, and people should join our association.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

0 The Raid 2s out of 5

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dog bottom! Axe! Cup!

LCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

That's me! I drew that Abby!

To be fair, the MD Geist comparison was mostly an afterthought as I was posting the tweet, but

I think I have the MD Geist Role-Playing System core book around somewhere, so I could roll up stat sheets for all the raid party members... for no particular reasons...

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By glots

Oh man, it's already been almost a year since last Extra Life?

I really hope they try and get together to play some games in the office this year...but if I can't have that, I'll take another crazy Jeff stream too.

Mepsipax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this is embarrasing, but thanks for featuring my video despite the fact that I was beaten to the punch. And good work on your video @dr_mel !

doombot13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dog Bottom

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BrainScratch

I really wasn't expecting my dumb Young Gerstmann picture and my re-texturing of buzz_clik's awesome illustration to show up on the Spotlight, they were just two small and quick things I did bored at work. Thank you!

Shout out to JDavidsen's "Bomb Boys" illustration, I really like the art style.

And that Tom video is amazing

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Saying buzz_click's altermative Dr. Tracksuit Atari cover (?) is a CRT filter is doing it a disservice. That's some first class weathering going on there. Good job, duder. I hope to see many more masterpieces from you.

Dr_Mel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay! And great work to you, too @mepsipax

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Undeadpool

Oh that Shenmue rap is...is just the best.

izzy_tengoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone took some liberties with that Ben portrait...

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

The Young Gerstmann shop inspired me to do this

No Caption Provided

gschmidl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't not finish the video this tells you to finish.

jeremym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh that Shenmue rap is...is just the best.

Thank you very much :)

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulunga said:

Saying buzz_click's altermative Dr. Tracksuit Atari cover (?) is a CRT filter is doing it a disservice. That's some first class weathering going on there. Good job, duder. I hope to see many more masterpieces from you.

I did that retexturing on buzz_click's Dr. Tracksuit cover, so thank you! And yes, the idea wasn't the CRT filter and more like the wear and tear of an old cartridge cover, while also trying to mimic the type of printing used back then with lower dpi's and misaligned colors (maybe I went too strong on that part and that's why it's confused by a CRT filter).

Lately I've been searching about how old videogame cartridges and record sleeves look and doing some trial and error on Photoshop, got a client that wants me to do all of my work for him with that style and he's a music and videogame nerd. Here's an artwork he asked me to do, based on Marble Madness.

Chillicothe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

"Masocore" doesn't fit any game like Cuphead. People wouldn't practice and Git Gud if they wanted to suffer, they'd just throw themselves bodily at game and never improve if so.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@johnymyko: For me it instantly clicked as an old-ass box. The worn-off edges and slight kinks from bending it, the fuzzy text, the muted colors. Great work! Same goes for that Marble Madness-inspired one.

borealum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ah nice! Thanks for the shoutout!

flynnneary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Oh man! Didn't realize I popped up on here, so awesome! Thanks for the shout out!

mithical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There is something that is absolutely charming about that sketch of Destiny-Abby. I love it!

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

That drawing of Raid Abby is the best. I'm very excited to watch the full stream once I've finally done it for myself!

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21