The Community Spotlight 2020.05.09

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and as always I, @zombiepie, am honored to be you host as we look back at the best user-created works from the community. Every Spotlight has a "theme" and this time around it is quite obvious the community has been writing up a storm. We have the most amount of blogs I have seen in months and there are even lists and user reviews which rival some of the blogs I have to share in terms of length. Likewise, the community as a whole is still buzzing about the Xbox Series X event as well as Assassin's Creed Valhalla and the merits of its theme. Regardless, we have a moderate amount of site-related housekeeping, so, let's jump right into it!

Tweets Of The Week

Giant Bomb Galleria

Giant Bomb Cares Portrait& Animated .GIF (By: @jearum)

This week resident Giant Bomb artist, jearum, whipped up an adorable portrait of the Giant Bomb icon. Later, they even made an animated version of the same picture which you saw in the "Tweets of the Week" section. As always, don't forget to support and follow artists however you can!

No Caption Provided

Cowboy Vinny Photoshop (By: @wolfpupy)

Giant Bomb East has had a handful of technical difficulties in the past few weeks, and in response, Twitter user wolfpupy went ahead and made this fun photoshop in honor of Vinny.

No Caption Provided

Community Activities

"Shiver Me Duders" - The Giant Bomb Sea of Thieves Xbox Club & Discord Server (By: @bearhardt)

Inspired by the recent batch of coverage from the staff, the Giant Bomb Community Sea of Thieves Xbox Club & Discord Server want you to know they are still happily accepting NEW MEMBERS! Just drop a comment asking for a new invite to the Discord.

Blogs

Bring this baller-ass job system back! YOU COWARDS!
Bring this baller-ass job system back! YOU COWARDS!

Fighting Final Fantasy V - Part 1: Bring Back The Job System To Final Fantasy! YOU COWARDS! (By: ZOMBIEPIE)

With all this talk about Final Fantasy VII Remake, moderator ZombiePie went back to Final Fantasy V and discusses why they think Square-Enix should bring back the goddamn job system to Final Fantasy!

Cities And Flower Girls - Some Scattered Thoughts On Final Fantasy VII Remake (By: @danielkempster)

danielkempster likes OG Final Fantasy VII and uses their latest blog to talk about why the re-envisioning of the Wall Market sequence shares the remake's highest of highs and lowest of lows of the game.

Back on the Digital Farm: Part 2 – The Indoor Farming Marathon (By: @stantongrouse)

If you haven't heard about Doraemon: A Story of Seasons, then you should check out stantongrouse's blog about the game and read why it has become a part of their quarantine routine!

Finger crossed Chimera Squad leads to other
Finger crossed Chimera Squad leads to other "spin-off" games like a new Pirates game.

XCOM: Chimera Squad: Snacking on Strategy (By: @jeremyf)

jeremyf has played a decent amount of XCOM: Chimera Squad and uses their latest blog to detail why a bite-sized XCOM is exactly what they want out of the series right now.

Wheel of Dubious RPGs Episode 002: Lands of Lore III +

Wheel of Dubious RPGs Episode 003: Sacred (By: @arbitrarywater)

ArbitraryWater continue their "Wheel of Dubious RPGs" blog series on Giant Bomb with a look at Lands of Lore III and Sacred! Give their blogs a read to see if Father Time has been kind to either game.

Playing "Classic Games" Without Nostalgia (By: @sombre)

Please drop a comment on either of ArbitraryWater's blogs... I do not know how he is holding up.
Please drop a comment on either of ArbitraryWater's blogs... I do not know how he is holding up.

Sombre talks about their struggles with nostalgia as they play more "classic games" during the quarantine. What advice do you have? Join the conversation using the link above!

May Millennials 5: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura (Outro) +

Indie Game of the Week 169: Burly Men At Sea +

May Millennials 6: Gothic II (Intro) (By: @mento)

First, Mento tried to play the cult-classic CRPG, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura. Read why they could not get past the game's inscrutable design and lack of technical polish. Second, have you ever heard of the indie game "Burly Men At Sea?" If not, check out their latest "Indie Game of the Week" blog! Finally, Mento wraps up their week with a look at Gothic II! Give their blog a read to learn about their initial impressions of the cult-classic!

Discussions & Threads

And I just want to say the Valhalla figurine is QUITE STUPID!
And I just want to say the Valhalla figurine is QUITE STUPID!

Inside Xbox Event For Xbox Series X Discussion Thread (By: @tp0p)

It seems to be the big talking point of the week, but what are YOUR IMPRESSIONS of the Inside Xbox Event? Most Giant Bomb users seem disappointed or misled by what was initially promised before the event started.

The Next Gen. News We've All Been Waiting For: Xbox Series X Boot Screen (By: @mellotronrules)

It's the Xbox Series X reveal that everyone is talking about: how do you feel about the Series X's boot screen music? Does it compare favorably to classic jams like the PS1 or GameCube boot screen tunes?

Assassin's Creed Valhalla Setting Discussion Thread (By: @monkeyking1969)

Were you impressed by the
Were you impressed by the "gameplay" Microsoft showed earlier this week?

Are you excited to play a viking themed Assassin's Creed game? Share your excitement or concern about Assassin's Creed Valhalla with the Giant Bomb community by using the link above!

How Much Giant Bomb Content Do You Actually Consume? (By: @anthenagin)

Here's an interesting poll and discussion thread: on a normal day or week how much of Giant Bomb's video content do you consume? How has that changed during the pandemic?

Does Mick Gordon's Departure From id Software Make You Less Enthusiastic About What's Next For Doom? (By: @ntm)

I miss the SOCOM franchise so much...
I miss the SOCOM franchise so much...

Where do you stand regarding the soundtrack controversy surrounding Doom Eternal? Does Mick Gordon's departure from id make you less enthusiastic about what's next for Doom or id/Bethesda in general?

Dead Games You Miss (By: @dirtybirdy)

What are some "dead" online games you missing playing? Current community picks include MAG, SOCOM II: U.S. Navy SEALs, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, and Tribes Ascend!

Lists

You heard it here first, 1998 is only THIRD on MajorMitch's list of the best years of gaming!
You heard it here first, 1998 is only THIRD on MajorMitch's list of the best years of gaming!

My Ranking Of Gaming Years (1991-Present) (By: @majormitch)

MajorMitch took a long look at every GOTY list they have made and "rank" the years based on how strong the game releases were from best to worst! See how the years stack up.

My Favorite Power Rangers (By: @supermutant42)

Inspired by Jan and Ben's recent anime podcast with their friends at GameSpot, supermutant42 played around with a topic Jan mentioned in passing: the best Power Rangers.

User Reviews

I'm always up for a little VN nonsense in my life.
I'm always up for a little VN nonsense in my life.
  • @squirt_vonnegut isn't the type of person who plays beat-'em-up games, but they use their review of Streets of Rage 4 to discuss why that did not stop them from falling in love with the game!
  • @riostarwind only recently got into visual novels, and as a result, gave AI: The Somnium Files a try. Read why they were charmed by its mix of silliness and drama.
  • @yyninja shares in their review of Ori and the Will of the Wisps how a few "blemishes" in its story and combat prevented them from fully falling in love with the game.

Wiki

Sorry/Not Sorry for breaking kayfabe.
Sorry/Not Sorry for breaking kayfabe.

The Godfather & Papa Shango

Alright, I'm including this wiki page for a very specific reason: we need to talk about character pages for wrestlers. Wiki moderators @marino and I would like for you to read the new rules about character pages for wrestlers from this point forward! For example, Papa Shango and The Godfather should have separate pages even if they are the same person.

shades846

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Thanks to the people that did the Spotify play lists for Alex stream great work

jearum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thanks for featuring my "GB Cares!" Cheers! :D

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

Love the fact that there is some Socom love in this post.

Well done!

longevitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I have put all of those things and more on a hot dog, at once. Best dog I've ever had.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

@mightyduck: I join you in solidarity as a practitioner of the "Original Wobble" in SOCOM II.

abbiejohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Love the fact that there is some Socom love in this post.

Well done!

Thanks