The GB Album Club 026 - Sorceress by Opeth (Cycle Finale!)

UncleJam23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Duders! Welcome to the 26th edition of the Unofficial Giant Bomb Album Club! Last week, we found a difficult emotional middle ground between melancholy and peace with Burial's Untrue. This week... I was going to say we're back to metal, but it would really be more accurate to say that it's kind of a metal take on roots rock and stuff like that? Sort of? Or really, something closer to more traditional prog rock. I don't know what I'm talking about but our album this week Sorceress by Opeth, and it was selected by our good friend @justin258! Your links for the listening:

Spotify

Apple Music

Youtube

A NOTE ON THIS ONE: Streaming services default to a deluxe version of this album that's significantly longer thanks to the inclusion of some live tracks. The actual album ends with the song "Persephone (Slight Return)." (Though I personally listened to the two bonus tracks before the live cuts as well and "The Ward" is quite good.)

Here at the Giant Bomb Album Club, we made a pool of albums that we always meant to listen to but never did and we picked one at random each week to discuss. This is the last album of this particular cycle and we haven't discussed what we're doing next. But if you want to be in on that discussion, come to our Discord! Last time we voted on one of three options, so we might do that again. Or something else. Who knows. If you want in on that, come join!

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I’ll have to check this out if people are recommending it. I fell off Opeth completely after Heritage and Pale Communion didn’t speak to me at all, and I feel like the samples I heard from their 2019 album didn’t interest me all that much either. 2016 is possibly my favorite music year of all time, so maybe this will be the post-Watershed album I enjoy.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Huge Opeth fan here, but I could never get into Sorceress. This and Pale Communion have been the weakest of their current era to me (I really liked Heritage and loved In Cauda Venenum).

There are some good songs but none of them stuck with me. And even the cooler ones either drag or don't go anywhere. It's ok but I expected more. Which I got with the follow up.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

So when I say I'm an Opeth fan, I mean the same thing that I think most people mean when they say they're an Opeth fan - I really, really, really like mid-era Opeth. Everything from Still Life through Ghost Reveries is just pure grade-A progressive metal gold. I've never been the biggest fan of Watershed, though I have enjoyed it in the past, but it's their last several albums that have been controversial for their fanbase and less appealing to me personally.

Listen, I do believe that progressive rock Opeth can be just as good as progressive death metal Opeth. I know this because they've proven it before - that album is right over here and it stands alongside Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries for me, personally. But Heritage never struck any chord with me whatsoever (it's been a decade so it might these days). Pale Communion comes the closest and I think it's genuinely great, but it's never quite stuck with me as much as some of their other albums. So here we come to Sorceress. There's an intro, then there's the first track, half of which I listened to when the album came out and then I decided I didn't really want to hear the rest of it. I thought about trying it again several times over the years but never really did - I think at one point I listened to all of Sorceress (the song) and then was like "eh".

But 2016 was a long time ago and my musical tastes have expanded a fair bit since then. I'm more open to listening to even heavier stuff than back then, but I'm just as likely to sit down and listen to Steven Wilson or Charles Mingus or Fleetwood Mac or something. You need a good variety of music on your plate, kids. So sitting down to listen to Sorceress now, after all these years of just ignoring it entirely, has made me change my mind a lot. Just saying "OK, I'm going to listen to this whole thing, without lamenting that the Opeth I knew and loved will never make another album like they did fifteen years ago, and instead just enjoy it for what it is".

And I did. A lot. A whole hell of a lot, actually, though I still think that the worst five seconds of Ghost Reveries is way better than the best of anything this album has to offer.

There's a lot of good grooves here. The title track is probably my favorite song on the album, oddly enough. It starts off with this really cool rhythm and never really stops jamming. After the intro, it dives into a slow, pounding, driving, loud as hell section that it dips into and out of for the rest of the song. It ain't Harlequin Forest... but it never will be, and I guess I knew that logically but I just never let it sink in.

Will O The Wisp is one of the softer songs on the album, mostly consisting of acoustic passages, and it's another one of my favorites on the album. About halfway through, Akerfeldt hums the melody, but it's layered in a way that feels really "full", really fills out the sound they're going for. At least for me. Chrysalis is the heaviest of the lot, but honestly I wouldn't categorize this album as metal.

Whether Opeth still counts as a metal band or not might still be up for debate in some places, but I don't think this album can, overall, be categorized as a metal album. It's prog rock with more "heavy" passages than normal - the album, at least as far as I can tell without looking at some actual measurements, spends more time in Will O The Wisp land than Chrysalis land. And, these days, I'm much more up for that than I was in 2016.

As far as complaints go, I think this album has two major problems - the first is that I think the mix is weird. I got used to it, and listening to it on really good headphones helps a lot, but it's very, very bass-y, especially in the heavier parts. The softer songs sound great, but the meatier, heavier parts kinda sound like mud sometimes. I feel like this album would have been way better if Akerfeldt had called up his old pal Steven Wilson to ask him about producing another album. That's just me throwing something out there, but something must have gone wrong somewhere. Everyone involved has produced way better sounding albums before, so what's up with this one? I mean, it's miles better than St. Anger or Jupiter, but The Raven That Refused To Sing this is not.

And the other, less prevalent, complaint is that there are a lot of filler songs in here. Persephone is a song you should just totally skip because it doesn't seem to serve any purpose, I cannot tell you anything about Sorceress 2 at all, and Persephone (Slight Return) is just 54 seconds. Why? In an album full of five plus minute songs, the majority of which have plenty of long mellow passages, I'm just at a loss as to why some of these couldn't have been mixed into something else or axed entirely.

And that's all I have to say about it right now. I'm glad I picked this album. I wound up liking it a whole lot more than I used to. I suppose I should sit down and listen to In Cauda Venenum at some point, an album I was aware of but I don't recall ever actually trying it. And re-listen to Heritage again, it's been a decade.

Also the rest of Opeth's stuff. Again. Because I'm pretty sure I'm going to die having recently listened to either Blackwater Park or Ghost Reveries.

I fucking love me some Opeth, man.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Broshmosh

I'll preface this by saying my introduction to Opeth was Damnation, and I didn't properly get into their heavier stuff for years afterwards. I don't know if it's a me thing or not, but I love Opeth's current work just as much as mid-era work, if not more. I'll gladly put on In Cauda Venenum in either language, just as readily as I'll put on Still Life. Heritage has some of my favourite prog tracks ever written on it (I Feel The Dark, Haxprocess). That said I haven't bought a copy of Sorceress yet, and I can't quite put my finger on why.

I love the tracks, especially the title one, but I'm not grabbed by particular tracks like I am with other albums. The overall sound and emotion in the album isn't the problem, and in some ways I can relate to the expressions throughout. I think it's probably inexperience with the album, having not really given it as much time as other albums.

I'll give it another listen and try to formulate some proper thoughts here. I'm probably going to be the dissenting voice among Opeth fans here, so maybe for once my opinion might be worth at least a crumb of value. I went to Revolution 30XX in November last year and had a fucking incredible time once the tracks from the first few albums were over.

UncleJam23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

So this is my first Opeth album. (I'm not naturally a metal guy.) A lot of the discourse around this album from Opeth fans has been kind of interesting to me. Even my roommate, who was heavily involved in the Los Angeles hardcore/metal scene, told me that he loves Opeth but considers this one of their weaker albums.

And also, I swear this is relevant, I started playing Minecraft for the first time recently and I've gotten really into it.

I play on a multiplayer server with a bunch of my friends and we recently built our first portal into hell. (I know it's actually "the nether" but... it's hell. I'm calling it hell.) As Minecraft is a pretty breezy game I thought to myself, "Why not explore hell while listening to (what I thought at the time was) this metal album?"

Hell, in Minecraft, is not a particularly intimidating place. Or it's not as intimidating as you'd think it would be when you consider that you're traveling into this game's version of hell. True, there's a lot of hostile guys and lava that can fuck you up, but when I die there, it's because I did something stupid and not because it's a particularly challenging area. However, though it's not nearly as extreme as what you think of when you think "hell," the aesthetic and the overall vibe of "hell" is still very much intact. The surface world is brimming with color and delight, whereas in hell, it's dark, it's ugly, and there's considerably more danger. It's not the most hellish version of hell, but it still effectively communicates the idea of hell.

To me, that made this album the perfect soundtrack for my Minecraft hell exploration. (No, that is not an insult! I like this album!)

I do agree that Sorceress is not a metal album, but I think a lot of (at least what I understand to be) the emotionality of metal is there. The more biblical/vaguely medieval imagery and evocation of evil and the tonality of the writing and that metal syntax and all that. If you're sticking with the most pure kind of genre taxonomy, then no, this is not a metal album. But I do see it there. Or to put it another way, it sounds very much like a metal band made a prog rock album. Much of the trappings of metal are gone, but I think metal still informs the artistic direction. If that makes any sense.

So there I was, walking through an evocation of hell in Minecraft while listening to an evocation of metal. Maybe I tipped the scales in the album's favor because of that context, but I really appreciated what it was doing. I'm sure if I had any experience with the Opeth salad days I'd feel differently. But I don't, and I had a good time. I'm not sure this is an album that's going to stick with me, but at the very least, the thought "I need to listen to more Opeth" has crossed my mind more than not lately.

Favorite Songs: "The Wilde Flowers," "Chrysalis," "Strange Brew"

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@justin258: At the very least, listen to the last two tracks of In Cauda Venenum. Lots of excellent stuff throughout, but the endings of Continuum and All Things Will Pass are so god damn powerful. At the very least, current Opeth can nail those outros (Folklore off Heritage is glorious, too).

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@csl316 said:

@justin258: At the very least, listen to the last two tracks of In Cauda Venenum. Lots of excellent stuff throughout, but the endings of Continuum and All Things Will Pass are so god damn powerful. At the very least, current Opeth can nail those outros (Folklore off Heritage is glorious, too).

Now that I've actually listened to Sorceress, I'm definitely going to listen to In Cauda Venenum sometime soon. And probably give Heritage another shot as well.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is my first Opeth album and, whilst I can't remember much since this morning, it wasn't bad. I quite like the vocals and, unlike some of the metal albums submitted for the club, there's a nice restraint to it. No noodle-fingering nonsense just good songs that don't outstay their welcome.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Also my first Opeth album. I was shocked... Not only by how much I liked it, but the vast number of influences I heard(or thought I heard, anyway). There were so many bits and pieces of other acts that I lost track. It was like someone programmed an AI to make an album and they dumped all the great prog rock artists into the reference set. Not saying that they lifted sections or anything like that, but there were clearly sections where I could say "That sounds like Rush," or "This reminds me of Jethro Tull.". I also heard Frank Zappa, early Pink Floyd and Genesis, a bit of Amboy Dukes and Cream, along with some Yes and others I've forgotten now. Maybe it was just the mood I was in, but it was fun being surprised by the layers in the music.

I will say that even the harder songs were metal-adjacent at best. This was very much a prog rock album, which isn't a problem, but was not what I expected. Not sure that this will go into my regular rotation, but I am interested in seeking out more.

stealydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By stealydan

I highly recommend the live recording of the song 'Sorceress' from Red Rocks:

Youtube

Not only is it better than the studio version, it's easily one of the best live recordings I've ever heard. Amazing.