Things I learned over the weekend - Monday, 11 October 2010

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By buzz_clik

Yup, more stuff managed to permeate the lump of granite I call a brain. Will it ever end?

Breaking Bad is amazing.

I'd heard a lot about this series – it's collected six Emmies, so it's hard to dodge – and my lass and I settled in to start watching it over the weekend. We've watched seven episodes so far, and my gob is well and truly smacked. It's possibly the most entertaining show I've watched from the recent clutch ( True Blood and Deadwood included) although it's certainly not relaxing viewing. There were times where I was so on-edge that I could barely stand to be in the room, but of course it's all so well acted and interestingly plotted that there was no way I was budging my gaze, let alone my arse. I can't wait to watch more of this insanely breakneck piece of compulsive telly.

I'm in an abusive relationship with Operation Logic Bomb.

This game even manages to flummox my SNES Action Replay cartridge, so I can't even cheat my way through it. *pout*
This game even manages to flummox my SNES Action Replay cartridge, so I can't even cheat my way through it. *pout*
I love this game, and have pimped it many times on this site, but I've never managed to finish it. It's a very cool but rough-around-the-edges SNES title that does some nifty stuff. There's a definite moment when it reminds you of the age it comes from, though, and not in a good way. That moment is when you run out of credits and see the ultimate Game Over message.

Operation Logic Bomb is a strange hybrid of arcade run 'n' gun and action adventure. It's mostly twitchy shooting of stuff, with multiple enemies haranguing you in the most persistent manner. That's fine, but all the blasting is stretched across a bigger quest, which sees you collecting different kinds of weapon upgrades along the way, Zelda-style. As you progress through the levels, you'll have to use newly acquired equipment to help get you through to the next area.

It can get bastard tough in some spots, and I'll admit that every time I play it I usually only get a little bit further because I've learned how to tackle these bits. The only problem is that once you've died a few times and run out of continues, that's your whole game done. Kaput. No passwords, just begin again. And you'll have to battle through this entire adventure just to get up to the point where you died, probably so you can die just a little bit slower this time around because you kinda figured what you were supposed to do. Ugh. I still love the game, but I feel like I've been punched in the guts every time I run out of credits. Needless to say, I only ever play the game once per sitting before I leave it alone for a few months, hoping to forget the sting.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By buzz_clik

Yup, more stuff managed to permeate the lump of granite I call a brain. Will it ever end?

Breaking Bad is amazing.

I'd heard a lot about this series – it's collected six Emmies, so it's hard to dodge – and my lass and I settled in to start watching it over the weekend. We've watched seven episodes so far, and my gob is well and truly smacked. It's possibly the most entertaining show I've watched from the recent clutch ( True Blood and Deadwood included) although it's certainly not relaxing viewing. There were times where I was so on-edge that I could barely stand to be in the room, but of course it's all so well acted and interestingly plotted that there was no way I was budging my gaze, let alone my arse. I can't wait to watch more of this insanely breakneck piece of compulsive telly.

I'm in an abusive relationship with Operation Logic Bomb.

I love this game, and have pimped it many times on this site, but I've never managed to finish it. It's a very cool but rough-around-the-edges SNES title that does some nifty stuff. There's a definite moment when it reminds you of the age it comes from, though, and not in a good way. That moment is when you run out of credits and see the ultimate Game Over message.

Operation Logic Bomb is a strange hybrid of arcade run 'n' gun and action adventure. It's mostly twitchy shooting of stuff, with multiple enemies haranguing you in the most persistent manner. That's fine, but all the blasting is stretched across a bigger quest, which sees you collecting different kinds of weapon upgrades along the way, Zelda-style. As you progress through the levels, you'll have to use newly acquired equipment to help get you through to the next area.

It can get bastard tough in some spots, and I'll admit that every time I play it I usually only get a little bit further because I've learned how to tackle these bits. The only problem is that once you've died a few times and run out of continues, that's your whole game done. Kaput. No passwords, just begin again. And you'll have to battle through this entire adventure just to get up to the point where you died, probably so you can die just a little bit slower this time around because you kinda figured what you were supposed to do. Ugh. I still love the game, but I feel like I've been punched in the guts every time I run out of credits. Needless to say, I only ever play the game once per sitting before I leave it alone for a few months, hoping to forget the sting.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Red12b

No greenfingers this weekend? or what about Bathurst? Not a motorsport man?  

I had a double shift Saturday, slept for a couple of hours after marathoning Civ v... got up on Sunday to watch the race, pretty good one too.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

At a certain point you should just run the damn game in an emulator.  

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

Aw crap. Now I'm gonna have to watch Breaking Bad. Thanks for this. 

(I'll probably have a sincere thank you after I actually watch it. At least I hope so.  :P)

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By buzz_clik
@Red12b said:
" No greenfingers this weekend? "
Heh, the lass and I actually put in a few hours over the weekend, but nothing came of it that I didn't know already. I was already wise to how much of a bitch extracting vines from nooks and crannies could be, and mowing the lawn sadly held little in the way of surprises. I think we're getting dirt delivered next weekend, though, so that should be fun!

@W0lfbl1tzers said:
" At a certain point you should just run the damn game in an emulator. "
I'll pretend you didn't just type that... ;)

@JJWeatherman said:
" Aw crap. Now I'm gonna have to watch Breaking Bad. Thanks for this.  (I'll probably have a sincere thank you after I actually watch it. At least I hope so.  :P) "
Hey, if you like the dad from Malcolm in the Middle and misadventures surrounding crystal meth, you'll think this is the duck's nuts!
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By sweep  Moderator

There isn't enough gardening in this blog. Son, I am dissapoint.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By buzz_clik
@RiotBananas said:
" True Blood > Breaking Brad tbh. "
True Blood is great, don't get me wrong. But there are times where it noodles on a bit and some of the second season seemed to be treading water for mine. Of course, I'm making my assessment of Breaking Bad without seeing all of it; I just enjoy how raw and real and gutsy it feels, compared to some of the ethereal faffing about that True Blood can indulge in.

@Sweep: *laugh* I know, but I didn't think there were many thrills to be derived from "mowed the lawn but forgot to trim the edges" or "filled up the green bin but that doesn't get emptied until next Sunday."

Fear not, though, for I'm pretty sure there's garden-related tomfoolery in the very near future!
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By ninjakiller
@RiotBananas said:
" True Blood > Breaking Brad tbh. "
A 150 year old vampire falling in love with a 20 something year-old?     
A town with a population <1000 where people disappear or get murdered weekly, and the population just sticks around? Nobody calls the FBI? 
That's better than Breaking Bad?  Seriously?
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By SSully

After i finish the 4th season of dexter i think i am going to pick up some breaking bad seasons, one of my buddys used to always talk about it, i guess i should finally give it a shot!

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By buzz_clik
@SSully: I only checked out the first season of Dexter, when I was in Europe and it was the only show in English worth watching. Along with The Wire, it's one of those shows that I've enjoyed the bits I've seen, but really need to sit down and go the whole hog with.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By mike
@buzz_clik: What did you think of the season finale of True Blood a few weeks ago? Evidently it's way different from the books according to all of the girls at work who are creepily obsessed with Eric. Anyway, Breaking Bad is pretty great too but I'm at least one full season behind. I don't have time to stay caught up on multiple shows. 
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By buzz_clik
@MB: It was pretty cool, and definitely felt like it was building up to something important. I've never read a word of the books, though, so I can't really compare there.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Baillie
@buzz_clik: I have recently been trying to watch a ton of shows that people have recommended me, but no one has said anything about breaking bad, sadly. So, thanks for adding another show to my priority list. I've just recently started watching dexter too, and hopefully this show can rival it. 

Also, what are your favourite tv shows/any recommendations?
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By buzz_clik
@Baillie: My girlfriend and I watched the opening episode of Boardwalk Empire just to check it out, and that was very engrossing. We decided we'd best not get spuds-deep into that while we're in the middle of Breaking Bad, though. Apart from that, nothing else leaps to mind. I've watched maybe half an episode of Mad Men, which a lot of my friends (and internet people I've never met) frequently pimp. I'll have to get to that at some stage, too.
Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Baillie
@buzz_clik: Yes, mad men has been on everyones lips as of late, I haven't seen anything about it though and was thinking of seeing what all the hype was about, too. Boardwalk Empire, huh. I've never even heard of it. Being from the UK would explain that though. Thanks for the suggestions, you lime lover you.
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By ESREVER

Operation Logic Bomb kicked me and my friend's asses when we were younger. Hell, it still does. 
Might have to play it now on my SNES...