Avatar image for theunpopulargamer
TheUnpopularGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheUnpopularGamer

ive started a new gaming blog that takes a look at controversial topics in gaming, our very first post was defending bobby kotick, now personal feelings aside it just seems like nobody has taken the time  to look at his side of the story. 
 link:  http://theunpopulargamer.blogspot.com/2011/01/in-defense-of-kotick.html

sample:  Bobby Kotick may very well be the most hated man in video games. Often criticized for "being a dick" Robert has made himself into a real-life villain for many gamers and even some developers. But for today lets look at the other side of the story, the side that so many outspoken gamers constantly ignore.

The business side.

Today I wanna take a couple of the biggest Kotick controversies and examine his side of the story, personal feelings aside and look at it as pure business. Saving the biggest and most complicated drama in gaming history for last.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By beej

Well are you going to post your argument here?

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By luce

Serious business? 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jimbo

Fuck off, Bobby, we know it's you.

TheUnpopularGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheUnpopularGamer

1. Tim Schafer calls the guy a dick.

Ok, not exactly

“His obligation is to his shareholders. Well, he doesn’t have to be as much of a d*ck about it, does he? I think there is a way he can do it without being a total pr**k. It seems like it would be possible. It’s not something he’s interested in.”

So there we go, lets for a second put all the brutal legend publishing drama and even Tim's so called repeal of this quote (read it closely its even more insulting) aside and what do we have here. One dude calling another dude a dick. Gamers round the world rally to Tim's side and love that someone big in the industry takes big bad Bob down a peg. Bobby of course not backing down replied.  

“Tim Schafer. The guy comes out and says I’m a prick. I’ve never met him in my life – I’ve never had anything to do with him.
I never had any involvement in the Vivendi project that they were doing, Brütal Legend, other than I was in one meeting where the guys looked at it and said, ‘He’s late, he’s missed every milestone, he’s overspent the budget and it doesn’t seem like a good  game. We’re going to cancel it.”

Now Bobby seems to think that Tim's criticism stems purely from the Brutal legend cancellation and I'm inclined to agree even though Brutal Legend got made there was a whole shit storm of publishing BS that everyone got involved in. But lets just look at the quote, Bobby's obligation to his shareholders is basically his job. However he wants to approach this is completely up to him. He could try being nice but perhaps being a dick is the reason why Activision as of 2009 is worth upwards of 19 billion dollars. Lets not be naive here folks, when that kind of money is involved it takes a shrewd business sense and I'm sure being nice is pretty much at the bottom of Bobby's to do list. Now the argument could be made that the Call of Duty franchise is solely responsible for Activisions rise to glory however, game franchises must be handled with the utmost of care, from a marketing standpoint. Yes a good game could sell on its own merit but Black Ops sold 8 million copies in one month. I dont care how good a game is it doesnt hit those kinds of numbers without some crafty marketing and a serious look at maximizing profit short and long term. Be it through the way a development studio is monitored and managed as well as pricing for DLC (15 bucks for maps is insane i know but they wouldnt do it if people didnt pay) and thats why being a dick pays, thats why its necessary and thats why Bobby should keep doin what hes doin.

2. The Bungie Quote.

"Bungie are a very unusual company," he said. "They're probably the last remaining high quality independent developer. It's very hard to [pause]... that has sort of has institutional skills and capabilities. And they're a real company."

Oh boy, even when I first read this the facepalm couldnt come fast enough, but lets take a look at the context.

It was a shareholder call people.

Who cares if hes right, who cares if he believes it, who cares if every gamer in the world stands up and screams out the numerous great independent developers who he basically just shit on.

The only people that matter during these calls are Activision and the people who have chosen to invest in their company. Bungie are extremely talented developers, there is no doubt, signing a 10 year deal with Actiblizz was a huge deal for them and for everyone involved. With the infinity ward split and the waning sales of guitar hero and tony hawk that company needs a new revenue stream to compliment those unholy CoD numbers. What better way to set shareholder minds at ease than to tout their hot new dev partner as not only the best in the business but the last great ones. Whatever Bungie is working on im sure its huge but probably wont see daylight for a while let alone a release in the near future, Kotick had to say it, he absolutely had to...this is a major investment for the company and for the future of Bungie as well. Look at it from the dev team standpoint too, they signed a huge deal with a huge company...how would it look if the boss just goes "yeah were excited, theyre pretty good" thats a pretty quick way to end the honeymoon phase. If you get hired for a job you wanna know that your boss is 100% behind you, especially for a company with a dubious reputation. Critics can bash all they want, it was a business decision to say what he said, during a business call.

3. The great divide.

The infinity ward saga is well detailed and easy to find a complete reference anywhere on the net so im not gonna take a long look at this. For the sake of this argument lets just say that all parties involved are guilty of the accusations being thrown around.

My defense is quite simple, as a Manager youve got an employee who is unhappy, wether or not its your fault you have a decision to make, either you do whatever you can to fix it, make that person happy and move on or you fix it by making a managerial decision and cutting that person loose. We cant say really whose to blame anymore in this case, in the beginning it looked like Activision was the big bad and were just taking advantage of their employees. New information weaves a tale of corporate espionage that makes the whole thing sound completely ridiculous. Either way, as a manager myself I look at an unhappy employee like a poison, it will slowly spread to everything around it and it can be treated but never cured. Cut that arm off and move on. Activision is a hugely successful business and those who cried their downfall after the IW split were quickly silenced by Black Ops staggering sales numbers and Bobby never missed a step, he played the whole thing like a businessman because thats what he is.

Who am I? I'm nobody, just a gamer trying to look at the bigger picture, the naivety of our still young gaming culture sees these things and immediately tries to find a villain to fight, a boss battle with a QTE finisher. Things are never so simple and I dont want to change anyones mind about how they feel, but remember those two sides to every story and when large amounts of money are involved neither side is very pretty.     

thats all of it, and like it says, were not trying to change anyones mind and our personal feelings about bobby dont come into play, defending bobby is like defending bp oil, we feel dirty. thanks to anyone who reads it. feel free to flame and discuss.
FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FritzDude
@Jimbo said:
"Fuck off, Bobby, we know it's you.

"

Haha. Wtf. Bobby, here? on the Giantbomb community?
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By blackbird415

Bobby is a business man, He does what he believes what will give him success in the future and what has given him and his company success in the past. Iam not a fan of his tactics, I think great franchises with great developers have gone by the way side with his tactics (tony hawk etc.). It shows well on a business end when your the largest video game publisher out there, but it also hasn't been the most friendly to the devoted fans and return consumer base. I loved the tony hawk series. If they can do a proper revival that would be good, but they games they have dont show promise and with the way bobby kotick works it will take some time for something like that to happen

I personally would like to see tony hawk to be an xbla type title with the resurgence of the original style of gameplay (i.e. tony hawk 1,2, and 3)

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By EpicSteve

He's a business man making calculated decisions. Those who say he's "all about the money", no fucking shit. It's called a job.

TheUnpopularGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheUnpopularGamer
@blackbird415:  just had a conversation about this with a friend this morning, bringing tony hawk into the xbla universe, starting with tony hawk 2 to test the waters and then making all future games in that style. Great point!
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

man, the trolls are getting worse and worse.... 

also flagged

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

No one really hates Bobby, it's just that one day his black hear must be ripped out, still beating, by the invincible indie developer of legend if we are to ever reach the promised land. 

The hate is just kind of necessitated.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Djeffers03

I don't care.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Pure business is bad. It leads to sweat shops, underage labor, improper safety, and a plethora of other issues. You have to have more than just profit sense as the head of a business. You have to achieve the goals of business within certain moral boundaries. Kotick continuously pushes those borders, and in cases like the Infinity Ward debacle, outright crosses them. Yes, he is a business man, and as a result, no one will ever love him 100%, and there will always be people that hate him. He would have to make decisions that were unpopular. But he goes way too far.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By craigbo180

Video games. Its serious business.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zeforgotten
@Jethuty said:
" man, the trolls are getting worse and worse....  also flagged "
Flagged for posting the same thing twice. 

Also, I'm kidding
FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FritzDude
@EpicSteve said:
"He's a business man making calculated decisions. Those who say he's "all about the money", no fucking shit. It's called a job.

"

He dont care about the money, he IS the money.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Slaker117

Kotick is in it to make money. He seems pretty good at that. As much as it's fun to hate on him for "ruining" games, I can't berate the man for doing his job. He comes off as dick, and I don't like him any, but I think it's silly to expect different from big business.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oatz

Who cares? Kotick is alpha as fuck.

TheUnpopularGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jethuty:  really not trolling, sorry if it comes off that way, just trying to have a conversation about the man that doesnt devolve into F him F that and F activision, thats all.
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Aetheldod
@TheUnpopularGamer:  2 words , Valve Software ... a successful videogame company who arent a dick like Kotick is  

Also when Brutal Legend was going to see the light effin Actimiltion wanted to deny its birth , also I blame all the people who bought COD blops , you are part of the problem :P
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikkaQ

Well he's here to make money. And he's good at that. Problem is I don't think his methods are very sustainable, as in I can't see Activision getting any bigger, without new properties to exploit. 

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By GreggD
@Aetheldod said:
" @TheUnpopularGamer:  2 words , Valve Software ... a successful videogame company who arent a dick like Kotick is    Also when Brutal Legend was going to see the light effin Actimiltion wanted to deny its birth , also I blame all the people who bought COD blops , you are part of the problem :P "
So Valve would be a collective dick if they were? I kid, but this thread is fucking stupid.
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By blackbird415
@TheUnpopularGamer: 

Sell it for 800 points Id buy that day one. 

I love and cherish those original tony hawk games. My idea was maybe to combine 1 and 2 together.
TheUnpopularGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

posting up a new blog tonight, about how our control in gaming affects the way we behave in real life. Internet personas to match our favorite gaming personas or even in day to day situations turning our brains off and just powering through the day. Perhaps even our more overt criticism of things that arent games, stemming from our ability to do so with the medium. 

any thoughts?

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By FreakAche

My avatar seems relevant here.

TheUnpopularGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Aetheldod: good point about valve, but they have the edge, they dont have to jump through the hoops that activision does. They are the premiere games devlivery system for pc users, they dont have to deal with retailers or worry about resells. i will admit though that theyve built their huge fanbase by doing things the right way.
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By WickedCestus
@XII_Sniper said:
" Well he's here to make money. And he's good at that. Problem is I don't think his methods are very sustainable, as in I can't see Activision getting any bigger, without new properties to exploit.  "
Business is all about quarters, they don't seem to care about the long term. I don't think there's any company who isn't actively trying to run itself into the ground just for a quarterly profit. Also, I'm sure Activision can find a new property exploit; where there's a will, there's a way. Modern Warfare basically popped out of nowhere (okay, not nowhere, but it had an unprecedented amount of sales and popularity compared to previous COD games) and hit it real big with the mainstream market; their next property may surprise us in the same way.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ch13696

I'm sorry, but us gamers don't know "business". Unless we're playing EVE Online.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GoofyGoober
@Djeffers03: Yeah I agree. Yeah the guy has "horrible" tactics in the eyes of gamers but like people have said, he is a business man. What do you expect.  I don't hate the guy.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MikkaQ
@supermike6 said:
" @XII_Sniper said:
" Well he's here to make money. And he's good at that. Problem is I don't think his methods are very sustainable, as in I can't see Activision getting any bigger, without new properties to exploit.  "
Business is all about quarters, they don't seem to care about the long term. I don't think there's any company who isn't actively trying to run itself into the ground just for a quarterly profit. Also, I'm sure Activision can find a new property exploit; where there's a will, there's a way. Modern Warfare basically popped out of nowhere (okay, not nowhere, but it had an unprecedented amount of sales and popularity compared to previous COD games) and hit it real big with the mainstream market; their next property may surprise us in the same way. "
I think the key there is that it'll surprise Activision way more than it'll surprise us. They're gonna get a hit by forcing it down our throats. COD has had a steady buildup into 4, but I never expected that level of populariyy. I just don't think they have a development team as skilled as Infinity Ward was. I mean short of Blizzard, who seems to be the only part of Activation with more than a year's foresight. So I don't know from where or two their next big hit will come .
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By WickedCestus
@XII_Sniper said:
" @supermike6 said:
" @XII_Sniper said:
Business is all about quarters, they don't seem to care about the long term. I don't think there's any company who isn't actively trying to run itself into the ground just for a quarterly profit. Also, I'm sure Activision can find a new property exploit; where there's a will, there's a way. Modern Warfare basically popped out of nowhere (okay, not nowhere, but it had an unprecedented amount of sales and popularity compared to previous COD games) and hit it real big with the mainstream market; their next property may surprise us in the same way. "
I think the key there is that it'll surprise Activision way more than it'll surprise us. They're gonna get a hit by forcing it down our throats. COD has had a steady buildup into 4, but I never expected that level of populariyy. I just don't think they have a development team as skilled as Infinity Ward was. I mean short of Blizzard, who seems to be the only part of Activation with more than a year's foresight. So I don't know from where or two their next big hit will come . "
I think you're forgetting someone there. Namely, Bungie. They know how to create a series with staying power, considering how well Halo has done for about ten years straight now. While I don't know if lightning can strike twice in this scenario, I think Bungie is a good bet.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#32  Edited By citizenkane
@EpicSteve said:
" He's a business man making calculated decisions. Those who say he's "all about the money", no fucking shit. It's called a job. "
People don't hate him because he wants to make a profit., it's that he often sacrifice's the quality of the products his company provides or angers consumers by his pricing strategy to help maximize his profits.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Jeust
@CitizenKane said:

" @EpicSteve said:

" He's a business man making calculated decisions. Those who say he's "all about the money", no fucking shit. It's called a job. "

People don't hate him because he wants to make a profit., it's that he often sacrifice's the quality of the products his company provides or angers consumers by his pricing strategy to help maximize his profits. "
He doesn't seem to have any kind of ethic. That's the real problem. 
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By wrighteous86
@TheUnpopularGamer:   I'm pretty sure everyone understands that he's making smart, at least for the short-term, business decisions.  That said, these decisions are still uncaring, ruthless, and insensitive.  They are bad for the industry, game companies, and consumers.  Just because they are self-serving and money-making doesn't mean gamers should stop hating Bobby Kotick or the things he does.  I understand why he's a dick, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#35  Edited By citizenkane
@Jeust said:
" @CitizenKane said:

" @EpicSteve said:

People don't hate him because he wants to make a profit., it's that he often sacrifice's the quality of the products his company provides or angers consumers by his pricing strategy to help maximize his profits. "
He doesn't seem to have any kind of ethic. That's the real problem.  "
Welcome to the world of business.
applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By applet0n
@EpicSteve: Exactly! People always assume that he does this out of spite, but that's just him following his job description. He's not a game designer, he's a businessman.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jeust
@CitizenKane said:

" @Jeust said:

" @CitizenKane said:

" @EpicSteve said:

He doesn't seem to have any kind of ethic. That's the real problem.  "
Welcome to the world of business. "
Yep, savage business. Still without rules we're just animals, and as animals our fate is grim. 
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Skytylz

Bungie are a very unusual company    

This is just a pet peeve of mine.  Shouldn't it be "is" since it's one company?
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MikkaQ
@supermike6: Ah christ, I did forget about Bungie. I actually hope that they get to keep their own IP, and that this is just a publishing deal. 
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#40  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I feel like the thing a lot of people are missing is that not only is Kotick a cold-hearted businessman and head of one of the most corporate-feeling producers out there, but he's utterly unashamed about presenting himself as someone who will pull any corporate scheme in the book to make a little money. I believe it's the latter far more than the former which has earned him the reputation he's got.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By tourgen

Being a businessman doesn't excuse someone from also being being an asshole.  Just because money is involved doesn't mean it's O.K. to toss morals and long-term goals.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jeust
@tourgen said:
" Being a businessman doesn't excuse someone from also being being an asshole.  Just because money is involved doesn't mean it's O.K. to toss morals and long-term goals. "
Yep.  
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ch13696

I don't hate Activision or Bobby Kotick. They do what they're supposed to do... eeehhhh most of the time. What does get to me though is some of the developers. It's been proven over and over again that indie development works. That they don't need publishers. I understand that publishers come out saying if they join them then they can have all of their games on all the platforms and advertise it to the bone. The best thing is that we gamers strive on word of mouth. We know advertisement is the devil (except for those damn Wii families). Take a look at Torchlight, Recettear an Item Shop tale, or successful mods for video games. This is exactly like the recording industry, where it has been proven that you don't need to work with a record company. Thanks to the internet you can take care of that all by yourself. Hell, look at Steam. They literally give help people into putting games on their platform

The downside is that I believe PSN and XBLA is the tough place to get on. But hey, we all know that anyone can put a game on PC for free. You know... Minecraft?

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Whenever someone attempts to calm me down on my feelings on Kotick, I read this: 

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128252  

What EA did to Bullfrog and Westwood is something I'll never forgive, even if I buy their games today - and each and every step Kotick takes on my precious market, I will hold against him. It's very, very simple.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CitizenKane: i thought it was against site rules, making an account, whose only purpose is to promote/advertise another website?
JestaMcMerv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JestaMcMerv
@Jethuty: To be fair he posted the entire thing here. The discussion is here so it's not like it is really promoting him at all. He makes some good points though. A discussion that isn't often had. 
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Nope, still hate him. 
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By wrighteous86

I hate when people play Devil's Advocate, but even moreso when they don't fully understand either side.  Everything you've posted to "defend" Kotick is common knowledge or common sense.  Everyone on the opposing side understands these points and it doesn't change their opinion.  So what's the point in using them for this argument?  Sounds like your website either needs to be rethought, or some better writers.

Sorry, it's just... years of Garnett Lee on the1UP Show have made me truly despise bad devil's advocates.

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By s7evn

He definitely knows how to find talent and then drive that talent into the ground with the same game every year.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By beej

I feel like this may help remind everyone of some of the problems of being purely motivated by profit, and why MAYBE JUST MAYBE it doesn't excuse you from the charge of being a dick.