Tropes vs Women Kickstarted deadline - missed.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wilshere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wilshere
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By TheHT

So she sets up the kickstarter to get financial support for a research project and now wants backers to actually do the research for her too?

le sigh

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EDIT: Nah, I don't really hate to do it ;)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

Who seriously thought she'd follow through?

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I'm gonna make a kickstarter for Ghostbusters 3 get a few million and say well Bill Murray doesn't want to be in it sorry guys.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheHumanDove

GOTTA GET DEM TROPES

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Animasta

probably should've had something before hand, to be honest

(also I hope we can all be calm and completely civi- oh who am I kidding)

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hitchenson

That's what the morons who donated get.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jams

So what exactly happened? I'm not getting much info from a thread that links to another thread.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By zeushbien

She is still making the series afaik, so I don't see what the problem is.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SuperWristBands

She'll get it done. I have no clue how long it'll take but I'd rather it be done well than rushed out. Bummer she underestimated the time it'd take. Kind of a big deal to the backers she promised but I'll wait. Though I'm more interested in the video where games do it right as opposed to where they go wrong. I see plenty of those already.

@Hailinel said:

Who seriously thought she'd follow through?

Follow through for the deadline or the video series?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Animasta

@Jams said:

So what exactly happened? I'm not getting much info from a thread that links to another thread.

she missed her deadline and posted something about how she was looking for suggestions.

@TeflonBilly: also you said that they would be shit not that she wouldn't get to it in time, so in your face! lol

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By huntad

You know what? I had something intelligent posted here, but fuck it. Nevermind.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Animasta said:

probably should've had something before hand, to be honest

(also I hope we can all be calm and completely civi- oh who am I kidding)

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

I've said it was a scam from the start and lo and behold!

Avatar image for gladiator_games
Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Gladiator_Games

Hey guys! Remember the ouya?!

brandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By brandino

Although i am disgusted at the way people acted towards this whole kickstarter project and her youtube (all the horribly sexist and ignorant comments) the whole thing sounded ridiculous and it doesn't surprise me one bit that she didn't go through with it. It's also the reason i don't back anything on kickstarter.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Animasta

@TeflonBilly: nah you just kept arguing that they would be shit, never mentioned anything about a scam, and let's be fair here, if it really WAS a scam I highly doubt she'd be asking for suggestions. (she was just unprepared as far as I can tell)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Animasta said:

@Jams said:

she missed her deadline and posted something about how she was looking for suggestions.

@TeflonBilly: also you said that they would be shit not that she wouldn't get to it in time, so in your face! lol

Actually, my exact words was that I didn't believe she had the talent or abilities to come through with the project.

I even specifically said that I hoped she would be able to step up to the plate, prove me wrong and actually shed light on a subject I *DO* believe should eb shed a light on. I just wished it was by somebody with more of a deft hand, talent and not such a shitty attitude.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Animasta

@TeflonBilly: I don't want to argue about her (but apparently I am forced to because I do not think the worst of her as many people seem to here), I'm just saying innocent until proven guilty. call her lazy all you want but wait until she actually stops responding before calling it a scam.

but apparently I'm a feminazi stereotype so who cares what I think

Avatar image for commander_crichton
Commander_Crichton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn! Guess I’ll never get to know just how misogynistic Ico truly is.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FunExplosions

Most of the donated money came from people on Facebook just following the current zeitgeist. They could give a shit about the project's progress this far down the road (greater than 3 days). Lazy campaign for money a great success! I plan to do the same. I mean, if you're stupid enough to fund me, then that's your fault.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Class_A_Ninja: Well, it's not like she has a stellar record in knowing what a good thesis is, so I can understand her confusion.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Dagbiker

@Brandino said:

Although i am disgusted at the way people acted towards this whole kickstarter project and her youtube (all the horribly sexist and ignorant comments) the whole thing sounded ridiculous and it doesn't surprise me one bit that she didn't go through with it. It's also the reason i don't back anything on kickstarter.

I don't want to get into an argument, and responding to sexism with sexism is not right. But her whole kick starter is about sexism. She is cherry picking games that support her view that men are sexist, men make games, and so games are sexist. So she kinda started it.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FunExplosions

I'm going to start a kickstarter for a game based on Ron Paul. I have nothing to show for it (just edited some Megaman and Mario sprites lol). That'll get funded, right? Wait... it totally was.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Animasta

@Dagbiker said:

@Brandino said:

I don't want to get into an argument, and responding to sexism with sexism is not right. But her whole kick starter is about sexism. She is cherry picking games that support her view that men are sexist, men make games, and so games are sexist. So she kinda started it.

victim blaming huh? call her a lazy asshole, call her a terrible feminist or fuckin whatever, but she did not deserve any of the super horrid responses she got. also that wasn't even close to her points but hey, who really cares? it's time to burn her at the stake for missing a deadlineeeeeeee

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NathanStack

@Dagbiker: Expect your typical HURR DURR BLAMING THE VICTIM HURR DURR SEXISM HURR DURR MISOGYNY responses.

Frankly, I'm not surprised she hasn't come through with anything. We're talking about a woman whose Master Thesis was about TV shows like Firefly.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dagbiker

@Animasta said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Brandino said:

victim blaming huh? call her a lazy asshole, call her a terrible feminist or fuckin whatever, but she did not deserve any of the super horrid responses she got. also that wasn't even close to her points but hey, who really cares? it's time to burn her at the stake for missing a deadlineeeeeeee

I did not say any of that. In fact I said the opposite. I said "responding to sexism with sexism is not right."

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Animasta

@Dagbiker said:

@Animasta said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Brandino said:

I did not say any of that. In fact I said the opposite. I said "responding to sexism with sexism is not right."

then what does "so she kinda started it" mean, then? That sounds like victim blaming 101 to me, regardless of any other part of your post

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By JoeyRavn

@TeflonBilly said:

@Class_A_Ninja: Well, it's not like she has a stellar record in knowing what a good thesis is, so I can understand her confusion.

As someone interested in Feminism and popular literature (comic books, mainly) and someone who is currently (technically, right now) working on a dissertation, this is extremely appealing to me. Thanks for posting it. I can't speak about the Kickstarter project itself, because I haven't been following it. What I gather is that she aimed to high, which is a shame. These topics are well worth exploring, but everything has to be done properly.

Also, come on. Justify your text. At least for your Master's Thesis, do the effort.

DeadVillager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DeadVillager

I'm sure that she'll get around to the videos eventually, but I'm secretly hoping she never does. Not because I want to delight in knowing that I was right and that a lot of people and their money was wrong, but that I don't want to know that $150k is enough to give somebody the authority to publish in-depth analyses and interpretations on the messages behind a large number of current, classic, or otherwise cherished videogames in a manner that, going off of her current track record, will be grossly misinformed or otherwise insulting to the stories or messages that the designers and developers of these games were actually trying to tell, inspiring them to make these games in the first place.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Deusx

@TheHT said:

So she sets up the kickstarter to get financial support for a research project and now wants backers to actually do the research for her too?

le sigh

Le... Don't. just don't.

Seriously now, this is hilarious. She received ALL THAT MONEY and ALL OF THOSE GAMES (300 games) and she couldn't even make one video? Oh wow, I hope that project fails. Look, I love women, you can say all you want "you're a misogynist hur dur" but fuck it, that kickstarter alone created some of the worst drama I've seen surrounding video games. Those videos are not going to help at all. Let that project die like the rest of the feminazis and women hating opinionated fuckers out there. These are video games people. Video games!

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NathanStack

@Animasta: Do you not understand the concept that sometimes people ARE to blame for what happens to them?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By falserelic

A bear can be sexist too.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BraveToaster

Why am I not surprised that she had no back up plan in case the deadline was missed?

Carousel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Carousel

It's funny.

People are still going to defend her.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Animasta

@familyphotoshoot said:

@Animasta: Do you not understand the concept that sometimes people ARE to blame for what happens to them?

are you really going to argue that she deserved everything she got? that game that was about bruising her, huh? I'm not talking about blame but merely severity. She probably knew that she would get some amount of shit for what she was doing, but what she got was in no way close to what she brought to the table, if you get my meaning.

Carousel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Carousel

@Animasta: "I'm just saying innocent until proven guilty."

You never seem to have this mentality when a man is under the gun.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Animasta

@CaptStickybeard: wardell has proven he was a shithead long before that suit ever happened

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NathanStack

@Animasta: Are you really going to tell me that she actually suffered because someone made a silly flash game where you can virtually punch a picture of her? Really?

Are you also going to tell me she really needed over $150,000 to do the exact same kind of videos she's been doing for for several years without that kind of funding? It's the cash grab that people are responding negatively to, not the content of the videos. Oh wait, she hasn't even made the videos.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#41  Edited By Hailinel
@SuperWristBands Either or both.
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Can she go away now? Maybe get a real job instead of preying on idiots and white knights?

Carousel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Carousel

@Animasta: As did Anita. But she confirms your beliefs so you don't think she can be wrong.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Animasta

@familyphotoshoot said:

@Animasta: Are you really going to tell me that she actually suffered because someone made a silly flash game where you can virtually punch a picture of her? Really?

Are you also going to tell me she really needed over $150,000 to do the exact same kind of videos she's been doing for for several years without that kind of funding? It's the cash grab that people are responding negatively to, not the content of the videos (which by the way don't even exist yet).

her kickstarter thing was only at like 10k or something for the bare bones shit; reddit and 4chan were to blame for her getting way more money than she needed or even deserved

also if you really don't see how something like that would cause her pain, well, bully for you but that would sure as shit make me suffer.

@CaptStickybeard: read this thread and see if I defended her videos at all

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mirado

How she got $160,000 to rename few TV Tropes pages and do a less in depth (and, most likely, more inaccurate) analysis then a free website is beyond me.

That's over $30k per episode to just go and read TV Tropes.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NathanStack

@Animasta said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

Are you also going to tell me she really needed over $150,000 to do the exact same kind of videos she's been doing for for several years without that kind of funding? It's the cash grab that people are responding negatively to, not the content of the videos (which by the way don't even exist yet).

reddit and 4chan were to blame for her getting way more money than she needed or even deserved

What in the actual fuck are you talking about? Do you honestly believe that 4chan gave her money? Are you insane?

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Dagbiker

@Animasta said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Animasta said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Brandino said:

then what does "so she kinda started it" mean, then? That sounds like victim blaming 101 to me, regardless of any other part of your post

What I'm saying, is that, regardless of how people should act. When people feel like they are being attacked they will retaliate.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Animasta

@familyphotoshoot said:

@Animasta said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

reddit and 4chan were to blame for her getting way more money than she needed or even deserved

What in the actual fuck are you talking about? Do you honestly believe that 4chan gave her money? Are you insane?

4chan and reddit's way too harsh trolling of her caused other people who wouldn't have donated to donate, whether due to increased exposure, guilt or what, I can't really say but it's quite easy to see if you look at the graph.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By TheHT

@Animasta said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

are you really going to argue that she deserved everything she got? that game that was about bruising her, huh? I'm not talking about blame but merely severity. She probably knew that she would get some amount of shit for what she was doing, but what she got was in no way close to what she brought to the table, if you get my meaning.

so you agree that what she brought to the table was terrible?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JoeyRavn said:

As someone interested in Feminism and popular literature (comic books, mainly) and someone who is currently (technically, right now) working on a dissertation, this is extremely appealing to me. Thanks for posting it. I can't speak about the Kickstarter project itself, because I haven't been following it. What I gather is that she aimed to high, which is a shame. These topics are well worth exploring, but everything has to be done properly.

Also, come on. Justify your text. At least for your Master's Thesis, do the effort.

That's really cool. May I ask which comics you wanna focus on? Obviously you have to touch upon Gail Simone and her Women In the Refrigerator deal, that was seminal.

Also the Sue Dibny/Dr. Light rape and the utter gross fiasco that Identity Crisis was for teh entire DC Universe.

Cereberus is a great look at Dave Sim's genius devolving into mysoginistic insanity over the years.

Strangers In Paradise and The Maxx have great female characters who truly stand out as original three dimensional characters who don't fit in any tropes.

And you can take a look at how the whole Girl Power scene of comics has grown with Tank Girl and Grrl Scouts.