Underappreciated Soundtracks?

ToastyCrumbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ToastyCrumbs

What are some of your favorite video game soundtracks that people don't talk about, don't know, or in general just don't get the love they deserve?

My pick is definitely Sim City 3000. I first played the game when it came out and have yet to get tired of it's OST. I don't think I've seen it on any "Top" lists, but the YouTube comments seem to adore it. Every piece captures city life and many pieces feature building and stacking themes, which I doubt is a coincidence, given the game. It even features a nice repetition of motives throughout. Highly recommended.

Favorite track: Concrete Jungle, but they're all great.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By guanophobic
Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Any work by Jesper Kyd is up at the top for me. I mean he has fans, but man, that guy is just so good. Particularly his work on the Hitman games and Freedom Fighters is so fantastic. Also did a great job on Assassins Creed 2. Just listening to these tracks gives me chills.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sexy Parodius' soundtrack is fucking amazing:

Loading Video...

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Splice

Loading Video...

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Honestly the Persona soundtracks don't get enough love in general. On GB they do but we are cultish followers of the franchise.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Also have to post again to mention Fez. That OST got credit and all, but to me, it's a legitimately a masterpiece of an album game soundtrack aside.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Loading Video...

The inFamous games in general have had good music, but Second Son really takes the cake. It's not so good that you immediately pick up on it playing the game, but I have listened to the soundtrack many a time whilst doing work.

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By PimblyCharles

Mega Turrican and Greendog: The Beached Surfer Dude! (both on Genesis) have amazing soundtracks! Both are not too well discussed so I guess that makes them under appreciated.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Donkey Kong Tropi-

Ahem, is the Terraria soundtrack well regarded? I always thought that was some great building and exploring music.

And along the lines of what @toastycrumbs already mentioned, SimCity 4 has some fantastic tracks (including at least one where someone just goes fucking bananas with a saxophone).

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By mak_wikus

Wolfenstein: The New Order. Terrific soundtrack all around with this wonderful gem:

Loading Video...

I also recommend looking up Driver: San Francisco(original soundtrack, not the licensed stuff).

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cloudymusic

Prince of Persia for the SNES.

Loading Video...

Also, the original Star Fox.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Nier!

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

Remember Me

Loading Video...

Atelier Shallie

Loading Video...

Avatar image for chumley_marchbanks
chumley_marchbanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Valkyria Chronicles

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

ftrevelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Puzzle Agent Soundtrack is great

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Ravelle

The Dungeon Siege 1 sound track.

Loading Video...

Hearing it makes me want to play again.

And Bravely Default.

Loading Video...

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Loading Video...

Always loved the OST for Road Rash. It was the first game I remember loving the music in.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

I feel like the same goes for the game in general, but Outland.

Loading Video...

Also, I was a pretty big fan of The Walking Dead Season Two's soundtrack.

Loading Video...

BigDaveisCheap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much anything by Ian Stocker aka Magical Time Bean. He did some work on old GBA and DS titles like Lemony Snickets but more recently he's gotten into game dev and he's been doing soundtracks for his own games including Soul Caster 1 & 2 and Escape Goat 1 & 2. His more recent stuff has a style that evokes the atmospheric electronic trippiness of Tangerine Dream with a strong groove throughout. I've loved his first few games as a developer but he doesn't get enough credit for abilities as a composer.

Escape Goat 2 - Restoration (Draft) on SoundCloud

Escape Goat 2 - Heavy Forest (Draft 2) on SoundCloud

Avatar image for aguyinabearsuit
aGuyInaBearSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Ratchet: Deadlocked's was criminally overlooked. And then there's the surprisingly amazing OST for Pictionary on the NES:

Loading Video...
F-Metroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24  Edited By F-Metroid

F-Zero GX. Some real jamming tunes are in their, but they are probably overlooked by the uninteresting re-do's of old tunes.

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#25  Edited By Wraithtek

Chrono Cross and Valkyria Chronicles are both great soundtracks. Don't know if they're underappreciated, as they seem to be fairly well-loved. Same with Skyrim.

Maybe the Super Mario All Stars version of Super Mario Bros. 2? I'm always disappointed when I try to find it on youtube and only come up with the original NES version.

BLAZBLUE OSTs.

@toastycrumbs said:

What are some of your favorite video game soundtracks that people don't talk about, don't know, or in general just don't get the love they deserve?

My pick is definitely Sim City 3000. I first played the game when it came out and have yet to get tired of it's OST. I don't think I've seen it on any "Top" lists, but the YouTube comments seem to adore it. Every piece captures city life and many pieces feature building and stacking themes, which I doubt is a coincidence, given the game. It even features a nice repetition of motives throughout. Highly recommended.

Favorite track: Concrete Jungle, but they're all great.

SimCity SNES is another good one. And SimCity 4's always good.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Neverhood soundtrack. More people need it in their lives. It's insane and wonderful. That goes for the sequel, Skullmonkeys, as well.

Loading Video...

Also, Rise of the Triad. Mostly the original, but the remake soundtrack is great as well. For comparison, the same track in both:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Seriously, give both ROTT soundtracks a listen. There's some incredible stuff in there. Choice cuts: "Mist Ache", "Run Like Smeg", and "Adagio for Strings and Organs" ("Adagio" especially on the remake. Holy shit. Beautiful piece of music.)

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#27 fisk0  Moderator

SimIsle, both the most underappreciated Maxis release (developed by Intelligent Games who later made the underappreciated Emperor: Battle For Dune) and most underappreciated soundtrack in my opinion:

Loading Video...

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

@fisk0 said:

SimIsle, both the most underappreciated Maxis release (developed by Intelligent Games who later made the underappreciated Emperor: Battle For Dune) and most underappreciated soundtrack in my opinion:

Thanks for this. I played SimIsle, but had forgotten about the soundtrack. It gave the game a real specific feel. Lots of nice environmental touches, too.

Listening to it now, it feels very 80s/early 90s.

meissnerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadows of the Damned

One of the best soundtracks ever, but you really have to play the game to appreciate it. Searching the OST on Youtube will leave you without some of the best songs in the game. I think it's Yamaoka's finest work, and he's done a lot of classic soundtracks.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By MocBucket62

I have two others to recommend. The first one is Rome Total War. The music just fit the tone of the game so perfectly as if you really were a Roman general leading your legions into battle, or a general of another ancient power. Never really hear this game brought up for best OST's in strategy games.

Loading Video...

The other one is a game that I never actually played, but after watching videos of it and listening to its soundtrack, I desperately want to play it. The game I'm talking about is the forgotten Sega Saturn game, Mr. Bones. The game itself is supposed to be nuts as the levels rarely stay in one gameplay style, like going from 2D platforming in one level to playing a guitar in the next. The soundtrack was composed by the late and great Blues guitarist, Ronnie Montrose, and its amazing.

Loading Video...

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metroid: Prime. Great soundtrack.

Although probably the award should go to Lazy Jones, as it basically turned into Kernkraft 400 and is still heard a lot today in the right circles.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've voiced this before, and I'll do it again: Max Payne 3. Unbelievably amazing, blood-pumping, atmospheric music that fit perfectly with each moment within the story.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

A soundtrack thread! Perfect time for me to once again beat the "Luftrausers has a fucking amazing soundtrack" drum. I still have a hard time believing that it wasn't appreciated much anywhere besides GB around GOTY time last year. Listen to the modular awesomeness.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mortuss_Zero

Well Guilty Gear, Chrono Trigger, Streets of Rage 2 and many others are awesome, don't know if they get nods. But I know I'm probably the only dude here who remembers this boss shit:

Loading Video...
matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Generally I only find soundtracks for games good within the context of the game. But there's been a few OSTs that I've been pretty into. Probably the most under appreciated, or I don't see people talking about it much, is the soundtrack to Dustforce.

A more recent OST that I've enjoyed from a game was the soundtrack to Lisa.

Shadowzap64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Shadowzap64

I think the whole soundtrack to the game Godzilla: Monster of Monsters for the NES is pretty amazing; never hear anyone talk about it. Definitely recommend anyone who likes 8-bit music to take a listen.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona4

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Critical Depth is pretty great and fits the underwater setting perfectly. I listen to it regularly, actually.

Really, all the old Singletrac games had an awesome sound team. Jet Moto 2 had some ripping guitars. The leads in that link are fantastic and fit the wide-open sensation in that track so well. The original Twisted Metals are probably a big reason why I eventually started playing guitar.

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MeMonk

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

Loading Video...

No One Lives Forever

Loading Video...

Heroes of Might and Magic 3

Loading Video...

Majesty

Loading Video...

Wing Commander 2

Loading Video...

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ace Combat: Joint Assault

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chaos Legion had some really good BGM that perfectly accentuated the game's style, lots of chanting choirs and orchestration, but it didn't really try to make it sound 'epic' kinda focused more on the actual melody and progression, also has so really great sounding percussion that was often the main beat, here's the track to the first stage, it really sets things off!

Loading Video...

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There has to be a better way of imbedding Youtube videos in threads like this. Maybe some kind of expand option that doesn't actually load the video in until clicked?

Anyway, my contributions.

Loading Video...

-Killer7 OST, which I own a physical copy of, probably the rarest gaming thing I own. Masafumi Takada overall is great, so dump No More Heroes in there as well. Oh, and God Hand. And Danganronpa.
-For non videogame stuff, the Escape from New York OST is excellent. Made by kind of friend of the site, John Carpenter.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mystyr_e: great recommendation dude! Haven't heard it before but that atelier shallie soundtrack is amazing!

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#46 fisk0  Moderator

-For non videogame stuff, the Escape from New York OST is excellent. Made by kind of friend of the site, John Carpenter.

On the note of John Carpenter, he actually did write the music for a PS1 game back in the 90's. And it's a great and underappreciated soundtrack too.

Here it is:

Loading Video...
2Mello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By 2Mello

The Machinarium soundtrack by Floex grabbed me immediately.

Loading Video...

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Digging through some old Genesis soundtracks and came across this gem that flooded me with nostalgia upon listening: Samurai Shodown. I know there are clearer versions with real instrumentation or at least more accurate, but damn is this moody. It's sparse and dark sounding in a very effective way that gives this version it's own flavor.

I really liked this soundtrack playing the game back in the day but not until now do I realize how weird it is.