Vinny, Brad, and Alex are leaving the site. Last day is Friday.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e25d72b6044
deactivated-63e25d72b6044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Thank you for your hard work duders <>

dwerkmd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Though it's exceptionally saddening to see the three of you go, I'd like to say thank you for everything you've given us. Best wishes.

JackTheNipper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was kinda sad to have such a short notice about the dudes leaving but, boy, oh boy, it has been such a emotional overload this last couple of days that I'm sure I wouldn't be able to handle it for a whole month.

Once again, thank you for everything. ❤️

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#954  Edited By Slag

@slag: I found them while recovering from a near-death situation. I can really relate to them being a lifeline... I'm still in tears but I know they are choosing what's best for them. I try not to be selfish but god, is it hard to accept OG GB is over...

feel ya

All 3 of those guys are legends, deserve to go out on their own terms and be treated accordingly as greats in whatever they do next

I hope that's what is happening here. It's a bit hard to tell and at the end of the day frankly not my business, but I do wish that for them given all they've given me and to others.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#955  Edited By MezZa

Had a chance to listen to the podcast and man...it's been a whirlwind of emotions. Yesterday I felt shocked but somewhat resigned to the fact that this would have happened eventually. Then today I actually cried at my desk when something got me thinking about all my time spent watching the content these guys have made. It hit hard.

They've always been a source of entertainment I could turn to no matter where I've been in life since I was 16. Back then I always idolized them as having the dream job. Being 28 now though I have a better understanding of the toll it must take to be that public on the internet and the amount of time producing and playing games for a living must take away from family time. Being married now I can hardly imagine having a job that would take me away from my wife on 10-10 hours. Especially when that role in the industry doesn't seem to cater well to long term stays in general. Frankly it's amazing that we've been able to enjoy their work for as long as we have.

Assuming there hadn't been some background shenanigans and this is a choice that they're happy with, I'm happy for them. Sad for myself because I struggle with the thought of not hearing Brad, Vinny, and Alex talk about video games weekly, but I get it.

I'm glad we still have Jeff, Jeff, Jan, Jason, and Rorie to man the ship wherever it's going. Whenever content starts pumping regularly again, whatever that may be, I just hope they know we appreciate everything they do.

ateam311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you Brad, Vinny, and Alex for entertaining this wholesome community through thick and thin. It has been amazing to hear your voices every week on the Bombcast, Beastcast, and - more recently - the Hot Spot. Your work on everything from Quick Looks to GOTY casts and videos will stick with me (and many others!) for the rest of time.

Also, a big shout out to those that continue to march forward with the site / RV -- Jason, Rorie, Jeff, Jan, Mr. Bakalar, and every individual behind the scenes.

Excited to see where the site goes from here!

Never4ever4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've followed the GameSpot guys on and off since High School.... I was 15 or 16 back then. When Jeff got fired I was outraged. When Jeff & Ryan started GB I was leery about how any of it was going to work. I'd check the site out from time to time but it was more of a random curiosity, soon to be forgotten.

Giant Bomb got me into Podcasts. I first started in November 2011. I figured with this year being the 10th anniversary, I'd listen to the 2011 podcasts in the same week they were originally released 10 years ago.

Needless to say, I was absolutely blindsided by Tuesday's podcast. When Vinny broke during that podcast, I broke too. It feels like I'm saying goodbye to friends I've never met, in some weird way.

Today, in the spirit of things, I went back and listened to "Mic Check" and episode 0. What a poignant listen (besides an absurd amount of discussion about Mad Max and the then fresh Mad Max Fury Road). The bit at the end about the future of the business and the Beast Cast itself was quite a listen in hindsight.

Whatever happens from here on out, just know that these three individuals were at the least partially responsible for Giant Bomb being what it was and without them Giant Bomb will never be the same again.

Thanks for all the fun stories and geniunine moments. Cheers!

deox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#958  Edited By deox

Brad, Vinny, Alex, each of you has brought so much joy and laughter to myself and countless others over the years. Thank you so much for all of the hard work and love that you put into this amazing website and community. I wish all of you the very best in your future endeavours!

Ascara89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for all of the amazing entertainment you've given me over the last 10+ years, and good luck with whatever you choose to do in the future. Much love to you all

ChronicLynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you guys for everything! You have no idea the positive impact you’ve had in my life just for being around. Best wishes in your future endeavors.

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I can't say enough good things about Alex, Brad, Vinny, and the entire roster of folks who have passed through GB. So I'll just say thanks for the years duders, thanks for being a constant comfort each week for over 10 years (!)

You're all truly just great people and I hope you know that people very much appreciate you all.

Obeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanna say thanks to every GBE and exGBE member for that awesome podcast. I know a lot of folks are sad about the news, me included, but that felt good listening to y'all reminisce the past and express love to one another. It was a good ending to an amazing journey.

Yeah, today's Beastcast was a great way to end the greatest podcast in the history of the universe. Seeing Austin, Abby, and especially Dan back to send them off was extremely wholesome (and it's nice to see that Dan will never change since he was the main reason why I started following the site and listening to the Bomb/Beastcasts). <3

demento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I don't even know what to say, I'm mostly just speechless. As many have echoed, they have been a part of my life, through the good, the bad, and the ugly. Every time a person leaves, it felt like an end to a chapter, but with 3 tent-pole figures leaving at once feels like the end of the first book in a series. I know the Giantbomb story has several more books in the series, but I am sad to see this one end. I am, however, excited to see what the next book in the story and can't wait to see what the future holds for this site. Jeff is extremely smart and resourceful the rest of the crew are going to take this to a whole new level.

Thank you Vinny, Brad, Alex. I hope you guest on some GB content in the future and wish you all the best on your new life adventure. I am excited to hear what you all move on to next!

CynicalRayzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been listening to these guys longer than I've known my wife. I'm sad at the loss of their presence in my daily commute like a group of unruly carpoolers but I wish them all good luck and godspeed in everything they do. You all are awesome.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Giant Bomb got me into Podcasts. I first started in November 2011. I figured with this year being the 10th anniversary, I'd listen to the 2011 podcasts in the same week they were originally released 10 years ago.

This is a thing I keep going back to. I was a music critic for several years in one capacity or another, fueled by having gotten into the OiNK's Pink Palace line of torrent hosts early and pretty much making album listening the only reason I was awake during the day for most of my middle school and definitely high school life. But after a few years of turning a hobby into a job, I realized that I just wasn't getting fulfilled by hard deadlines and required word counts about music I was listening to, whether I liked it or not. I was getting unnecessarily wrapped up in the politics that went into who was going to be lead editor for which album of the year piece, or how my review for this or that album earlier in the year would lead to the EIC surely giving me the big album of the year down the road. I got so competitive about it that I pioneered a counter-take section at one publication that came and went with my tenure - a title I kind of hated because oftentimes I agreed with the original review!

Anyway, I got out of that business and took solace in a job as a dishwasher at an Indian restaurant opening in town. In retrospect it was a terrible job, but all I wanted to do was put my head down and consider what was next in life so it worked for me. The kitchen staff was entirely Hyderabadi and spent most of their time communicating in that language, which left me free to put headphones on and just go about my day. Music was a little too counterproductive, though. Sometimes they needed me to do something very quickly or help prep this or that thing and the constancy of the noise was too much for their foreign language to cut through the static. This was around E3 time, and I'd spent most of the PS3 era playing NBA 2K and little else because it was the game series most conducive to music listening and the sport I loved most. The PS4 announcement was on the horizon, and I decided I wanted to get more invested in gaming after a generation spent ignoring even the biggest of titles like Uncharted or Fallout because I was worried $60 was just too much money.

So I came across the Giant Bomb E3 coverage, and I listened to the podcasts at work. Two or three pods was roughly enough to cover a day, and so I quickly went back in time to the very beginning and binged them over a long, hot, overworked summer in which I basically only went to work, the bar near my apartment and home to sleep. It was lonely, depressing and everything else you can imagine that summer being described as, but one constant was these dudes in my ear for 8-12 hours a day as I scrubbed burned sauce pans and chopped 4 cases of onions.

Eventually I caught up to the present day, and then it was on: a Marc Maron pod here, a Bill Simmons pod there (if I'm being realistic, his podcast was my first, but I only ever listened to it on a desktop via the ESPN Radio plug-in), and whatever else filtered in and out of rotation back in those days (man, I used to listen to a lot of Jay Mohr and Adam Carolla!) to the point that, ten years on from that, I might take one night out of the month to listen to new music, and so rarely is it a full album that the people who knew me as The Kid With the Recommendations and later The Guy Quoted in the Gucci Mane Autobiography are still disappointed when they ask about a new album and I'm blissfully unaware of it. And that shift is, no joke, entirely attributable to Giant Bomb. They revealed how appealing it is to spend commutes and lonely moments with a friendly voice or voices in your ear or over your speakers and almost completely upended the way I spend my free- and commute-time, even ignoring that I played more video games in the PS4 era than the PS2 or PS3 era combined - and that was still less than 10 new games a year most years! And yet there I was, watching every Quick Look, UPF, listening to every podcast...

Bon voyage, boys, and thanks for ruining everything!

Kairu_de_Large

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't posted on the forums in a long time. Been around since the drink reviews on Arrow Pointing Down. I don't think I can properly articulate how much this site, it's staff, and community meant to me. But it was a pleasure. It felt like home. And it sucks that it's coming to an end, at least as it was. But I want Brad, Vinny, and Alex to be happy and live according to their truth. And if this is what they want, then they have my most heartfelt blessings.

<>

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How perfect was that last episode of the Beastcast with the “big 6” all together? Wow. So good.

Ebany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the good times guys, sad to see you leave, but happy for the time we had!

Stubert73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

On this, the eve of the End of Giant Bomb as we know it, I wanted to scream my thanks into the ether to Brad, Vinny, and Alex. I've been listening to the Bombcast since its beginning (Giant Bombcast was the first "favorite" I saved on my iPhone 3g back in the day), and it's hard to imagine the site without them. It's evident how much sacrifice you all have made for what's ostensibly an entertaining video game web site, but what is evidently so much more to me and the Giant Bomb community. I want to thank Vinny for his frank and hilarious assessment of parenthood. My daughter was born around the same time as Vinny's son, and the podcast where he described the misery of early parenthood brought a sorely needed laugh to my wife and me--not to mention an understanding that not everyone felt the Joy and Wonder of the first few months of parenthood. To Alex, I am grateful for his forthright discussions of mental health, a deeply personal topic and a necessary one that you're helping to normalize. To Brad, a big thanks for the many, many hours of Bombcast that you were a part of; you helped ease the pain of a monotonous commute and steeled me for a stressful day on the job. Giant Bomb should retire your microphones or whatever gesture would sufficiently communicate your irreplaceability. Best of luck in your next ventures--though you won't need it--and thanks again.

shiggity_shwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing group. Amazing memories. I’m so sad, but I’m hopeful these duders will continue making awesome things, no matter where they end up. These people have been such a big part of my life. All the best to them. I can’t thank GB enough for being with me for so long. It’s still here, I know. It’s in good hands. But this still hurts my heart.

turbofetus2487

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That final Beastcast was perfect. Thank you Vinny, Alex, and Brad for the hours and hours of entertainment every week. I'm going to miss the Beastcast the most as I always looked forward to listening going into the weekend. Smell ya later.

DustDevilRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few years ago I told a friend to check out The Beastcast. He did and said one of the crew reminded him of me. I assumed it was Dan as we both have a tendency to add crazy nonsense into a situation(in a good way haha), but he said it was Vinny. That was one of the nicest compliment I have ever gotten and it sticks with me to this day. The fact I could even remind someone of the warmth and humor of Vinny made me legitimately feel proud.

Thank you so much Vinny Alex and Brad for always being highlights of my week even when yours may have been hard. I wish you all the best and happiest for whatever comes next.

Thank you for everything.

Avatar image for inspectorfowler
inspectorfowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#974  Edited By inspectorfowler

It seems like people who leave GB can rarely resist streaming a bit now and then (or every day) and I’d like to keep up with these folk.

I think I found Brad’s Twitch - do Vinny and Alex have channels? I know they‘ll likely take breaks from public gaming/streaming for a while but I’ll be damned if I miss it if Vinny streams another factory/crafting/strategy/4X game down the road, or if Alex picks up his steering wheel for another trucking run, or if Brad decides to break himself.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't posted in this forums for years, I was in my late twenties when I started following giant bomb back in 08, now I'm 40. It is crazy how fast time goes by. I wish the best for the ones that are leaving, and I'll be hanging around for what's next.

mteejay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thanks for the amazing times my dudes. i wish you and yours the very best in the future.

RagnarokZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dusted off my old account because I just had to come here and say thank you guys so much for the wonderful years of laughs and good vibes from the old Whiskey Media days till now.

I will miss you all a great deal, and hold out hope that I do get to keep hearing from you in some fashion going forward on the internet.

Lots of love to Vinny, Alex and Brad!

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#978  Edited By TopCat88

Brad, Vinny, Alex.

No Caption Provided

It's been a real pleasure watching you on the internet for so many years. A wonderful constant as my world has changed dramatically over the last decade plus. I know your worlds will have all changed too.

Of course, I'll miss having you all as such a regular part of my entertainment, but I know this must be what's best and a decision you wouldn't have come to lightly.

Best of luck for all of your futures, and may you each find great happiness in whatever you choose to do next in your careers.

You'll forever be duders! I'll smoke you a kipper. Farewell.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Wow, definitely the end of an era. Like so many others here I've followed these duders for over a decade now, and it's very hard for me to imagine Giant Bomb without Vinny, Brad & Alex. In a weird way it feels like losing a bunch of close friends.

Thanks for all the countless hours of entertainment and insight.

beep222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the years of great content guys! I'll miss hearing your voices in my ears every week. Best of luck in whatever comes next.

talby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I followed Brad and Alex during the Gamespot glory days and first discovered Vinny through the hilarious ‘Wipeout: In the Zone’ quick look. Since then I’ve been hooked on Giantbomb. The podcasts have always been a comfort blanket for me and I’ll never grow tired listening to them. Will truly miss these guys - definitely feels like the end of an era. I wish them all the best and happy trails.

iek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to have a graphic design job where i mostly sat alone in an office all day, GB really helped keep me sane all those years and i'm super grateful. The day before the news dropped i was actually reminiscing about 1UP.com and thinking about what a bummer it is that it died completely, i really hope Jeff can keep GB going, it's too good to die out like that.

Wishing those who are leaving and those who are staying all the best, and my thoughts go out to all of those feeling a great loss.

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've been along for the ride with these guys since the mid-2000s. Hell of a run, hell of a season. I wish the 3 of you all the best!

spinthelights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ve been listening since the GameSpot days. Through thick and thin, I’ve had the GB guys in my life for many, many years. Thank you genuinely for all of the wonderful moments and memories, and I wish Vinnie, Alex and Brad all the best in the future. I will miss you guys and still treasure being able to have a beer with Brad at PAX all those years ago.

Shadowjester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Holy crap, I take a short break from listening to podcasts and someone has taken the "Brad is leaving" joke to a whole new level.

I was with Gamespot when Gerstman left and came here and have loved the content. Best of luck to all three of the guys. Vinny and I started having kids around the same time and his stories of being a gamer dad have really hit home to me over the years. I will miss them on the site. As it sounds like there isn't a huge plan right now I wish them the best on their next adventure. And best of luck to Gerstman as well. This has to be an emotional time for them all.

capn_chunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe I've been crying over this for two days now. This feels like what I imagine an amicable divorce must be. I've been with them since the beginning and they have brought so much joy and at times much needed distraction. We've all aged together and I think what makes me the most sad is that as an while they are still several years younger than me, I found their perspectives highly relatable and feel a bit lost without them in space dominated by 20 somethings (which is not inherently bad:) . I also realize that's too much weight to put on a gaming website but I really just want to thank them for being there for me for such a long time, even if they didn't know it.

Thank you guys and I hope you all find the peace, happiness and success you deserve.

absolutmauser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinny said on the last Beastcast that there are "problems that can't be solved." I heard this as "Gerstmann is Evil" which I have ALWAYS SUSPECTED!

Good luck to the guys leaving and to the folks who remain.

Darck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the years of entertainment Brad, Vinny and Alex , it's been a wiiiiild 10+ years! You guys will be solely missed in the GB family but I can understand why you had to make this move and I will be forever grateful for all the laughs, the fun and positivism you brought me during all those years I spent listening to you guys.

I hope you all the best in your future projects and make sure I'll be looking from time to time to see what's going on with you guys. Oh, and Gerstmann , I'm following you man, let see where this boat takes us!

Avatar image for pistolpackinpoet
PistolPackinPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

I enjoyed most of what GBeast and Brad put out over the years. I thought that they would all stay with the site forever, but the writing was on the wall. While I'm on the verge of bawling my eyes out for another day since hearing the news, I hope that everyone can rest easy after they all cemented their legacy with the last Beastcast. I know that I'm selfish for wanting them to stay forever, but that's because Vinny, Brad, and Alex always brought an genuine air to everything they do. A lost art especially in these times of video game coverage. It's hard because I want them to keep on going with the site, but I understand that they are normal people with normal lives behind the curtains. I don't know how to cope outside of seeing what the future brings with next week's Giant Bombcast.

Anyways, much love and good luck to Vinny, Brad, and Alex. You changed my life, from my depressing days of college to my current days of adulthood. You were the only voices heard during my lulls of travel. You all deserve a round of applause, cheers of encore, and finally some rest.

See ya later.

HeyDudeItsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you Vinny, Alex, and Brad for everything. I wish you all the best.

nobody_nowhere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#991  Edited By nobody_nowhere

Thank you Brad, Alex, and Vinny! Thank you!

TurboEinar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi. I don't think I´ve ever posted on the site before. I just want to let you know how much you have meant to me. You have been a part of my life for so long. You've made a real and meaningful impact on my life. For all the people who've been here and never said a word, I wish you all the best of luck.

Kemuri07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I've been listening to you guys since the old days of The Hot Spot.

End of an era.

lowrider007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very sad but things have to change I guess, I loved that these guys were older which made them very relatable for me, I kind of thought of Giant Bomb as validation for older gamers like myself, I hope Jeff continues to fly that flag.

bobabrowncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like a lot of us, I've followed since the Oustening from GS and the creation of GB. I will miss these guys more than you would believe. But, it's good to go out on top. Have fun, guys. And keep on truckin'.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Dear GiantBomb,

I have been on board ever since I read the Kane and Lynch story when it happened. I instantly felt at home. I have a fond memory of writing a whole guitar tab meddly of monkey island on the monkey island wiki. Sean Coonce told me how cool it was but that it didn't belong on the front page. He took it down but gave me a ton of editorial points, lol. The tabs were lost forever but I was able to freely edit the wiki.

Like many people here I've had a lot of horrible and lonely points in my life. Through all of this low points I would at least be able to turn on giant bomb and feel a little less alone. It's strange that I don't know you people at all but felt a sense of family and belonging watching your stuff. I can't really describe how much it meant to be and what kind of darkness it helped me pull through. I wish you all the best. I hope Jeff, Jeff Jan and Jason and everybody else can cook up something awesome. Thank you all for the one sided friendship you graced me with when I was otherwise alone

-S

Fuziun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you Vinny, Alex and Brad for all the great years of entertainment y'all have helped to bring. Wishing you the best for your future!

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

Godspeed and take care, gentlemen. You and the community have done such wonderful things.

Jam13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been affected by this far more than I thought I would to be honest. You don't know what you've got till it's gone, right? Thank you Alex, Brad and Vinny for being key players in that safe space for me when I've been bored, sad, depressed, hungover and everything else. All the best for the future, fellas.

DarkestZam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1000  Edited By DarkestZam

Vinny working on tools is still one of the best things out there! Much love to you guys <3