• 52 results
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By wrighteous86

Hey all, I'm looking into playing through a lot of the weirdest Japanese games that are playable on American consoles.  If it's a weird game released only in Japan, but I can play it on my American DS or PS3, that's fine. 

Some examples would be Cho Aniki, Doki Doki Majo Shinpan!, or Sin & Punishment.  It doesn't matter if they're popular or well-known either, like Katamari Damacy, Deadly Premonition, or No More Heroes

The weirder, the better.  So what do you got, Giant Bomb?

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By bravetoaster

RapeLay

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By iDarktread
@Wrighteous86 said:
" Katamari Damacy "
Well, it's a PS2 game, but excellent if you've got a system to play it on.
Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By ShadowKnight508
@Axxol said:
" RapeLay "
Now, do we really have to bring this up? CNN already took this rape simulator game and used it in their attempts to bash the anime industry and Japan over it last year. We do not need this game to rear it's ugly head again in public. Besides, what kind of sick person plays rape simulators?
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zeforgotten
@Axxol said:
" RapeLay "
What is it that makes people (Especially kids o.o) mention that "game" over and over again? 
Nothing fucking happens, you do nothing, see nothing and you don't even get busted by Chris Hansen. 

I even remember some people being disgusted by that thing, why is that exactly? 
Is it the bodies rubbing up against nothing. 
Unless of course the air between your dudes body and his "victims" body counts as "something" 
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By GreggD
@Wrighteous86: Incredible Crisis
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

Disaster Report, perhaps?

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By DukesT3
@Axxol said:
" RapeLay "
if only i had a pc =( 
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By beargirl1
@Axxol said:
" RapeLay "
IT'S BAD
bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bravetoaster
@shadowknight508 said:
" @Axxol said:
" RapeLay "
Now, do we really have to bring this up? CNN already took this rape simulator game and used it in their attempts to bash the anime industry and Japan over it last year. We do not need this game to rear it's ugly head again in public. Besides, what kind of sick person plays rape simulators? "
I mentioned it because it belongs in the list of weird Japanese games in America. Quit your bitching.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wrighteous86

A lot of these are great suggestions guys, thanks.  Keep 'em coming!  Chibi-Robo and Mister Mosquito seem pretty odd, but I'd be cool with seeing more games like Disaster Report too.  They can be outwardly weird like these cartoony games, or just bizarre like Deadly Premonition.

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Daroki
@Axxol said:
" @shadowknight508 said:
" @Axxol said:
" RapeLay "
Now, do we really have to bring this up? CNN already took this rape simulator game and used it in their attempts to bash the anime industry and Japan over it last year. We do not need this game to rear it's ugly head again in public. Besides, what kind of sick person plays rape simulators? "
I mentioned it because it belongs in the list of weird Japanese games in America. Quit your bitching. "
Except it was never released in America, so it doesn't belong here.  Incredible Crisis is a good one that was mentioned.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wrighteous86
@Daroki: To be fair, I did say as long as they're playable in America, it didn't matter if they weren't released here.  As long as I don't have to mod my system or buy a Japanese console, that's fine.  I don't know if I'll play RapeLay, but it seems to fit my criteria.
Vlaphor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Vlaphor

Steambot Chronicles, Disaster Report, Raw Danger, Onechanbara, EDF, Way of the Samurai 1, 2, and 3.  

I love me some quirky low budget japanese games.

Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Trebz

Cubivore and Chulip. 

Man oh man. 

CHULIP.

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By wrathofconn

Another user I know who doesn't post much any more would suggest Gitaroo Man if you've got a PS2 to play it on.

Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Trebz
@Guyzea: Oh, if only the rest of the game were that sensical...
Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zithe
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wrighteous86
@Guyzea said:
" @Trebz said:
" Cubivore and Chulip. 

Man oh man. 

CHULIP. "
YES CHULIP.

You can find and sell poop in this game.

No Caption Provided
"
I definitely have to give this game a shot.  Any more, Giant Bomb? Or is that about it for Japanese weirdness?
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@ZeForgotten said:
" @Axxol said:
" RapeLay "
What is it that makes people (Especially kids o.o) mention that "game" over and over again? Nothing fucking happens, you do nothing, see nothing and you don't even get busted by Chris Hansen.  I even remember some people being disgusted by that thing, why is that exactly? Is it the bodies rubbing up against nothing. Unless of course the air between your dudes body and his "victims" body counts as "something"  "
Couldn't possibly have anything to do with your primary task in the game is raping people, could it? 

No, perish the thought. We're all just a bunch of prudes for thinking a game about raping women is fucked up.
Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zithe
@Wrighteous86: I was just reminded of this game I own for the DS called Knights in the Nightmare. It's not really quirky or funny so much as it is an insane concept for a game. If I had to try and describe it, I would say that it's a grid-based, real time JRPG where the combat is all done by avoiding various projectiles on the screen with the stylus and touch screen (the way you would in a top-down shooter). It's fairly unique as far as I know.
Avatar image for killroycantkill
killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By killroycantkill
@iDarktread said:
" @Wrighteous86 said:
" Katamari Damacy "
Well, it's a PS2 game, but excellent if you've got a system to play it on. "
There's always Katamari Forever that came out on the PS3.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Turambar
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zeforgotten
@KingWilly said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" @Axxol said:
" RapeLay "
What is it that makes people (Especially kids o.o) mention that "game" over and over again? Nothing fucking happens, you do nothing, see nothing and you don't even get busted by Chris Hansen.  I even remember some people being disgusted by that thing, why is that exactly? Is it the bodies rubbing up against nothing. Unless of course the air between your dudes body and his "victims" body counts as "something"  "
Couldn't possibly have anything to do with your primary task in the game is raping people, could it? 

No, perish the thought. We're all just a bunch of prudes for thinking a game about raping women is fucked up. "
Clearly you haven't even seen anything remotely related to the game. 
That might be what the game should have been about but again, nothing fucking happens, like, at all. 

Unless, again, rape = people rubbing up against air. 
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By owl_of_minerva
Michigan: Report From Hell, Ghost Trick, Fatal Frame series, and 999 seem to fit the bill.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#27  Edited By Yummylee

Yakuza 3 isn't so very weird as just it's incredibly Japanese. Plus there are some hilarious moments in there, especially with how Kazuma discovers new techniques through the world. 

Ley_Lines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ley_Lines
@owl_of_minerva said:
" Michigan: Report From Hell, Ghost Trick, Fatal Frame series, and 999 seem to fit the bill. "
damn it, I was going to mention Michigan. Bought the PAL version a long time ago and never gained a way to play it. Ryan said he was going to do a quicklook a long time ago but never did.
endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By endaround
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#30  Edited By Icemael

Bayonetta.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By recroulette

The Ouendan games are import only but can be played on DS systems. 

I also have to agree with Chulip.

Sorasha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sorasha

Robot Alchemic Drive for the PS2. Imagine QWOP with giant mechs.

Not to mention some the finest voice acting you'll ever grace yourself with.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33  Edited By buft
@wrathofconn said:
" Another user I know who doesn't post much any more would suggest Gitaroo Man if you've got a PS2 to play it on. "
or a psp
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@ZeForgotten said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" @Axxol said:
" RapeLay "

No, perish the thought. We're all just a bunch of prudes for thinking a game about raping women is fucked up. "
Clearly you haven't even seen anything remotely related to the game. That might be what the game should have been about but again, nothing fucking happens, like, at all.  Unless, again, rape = people rubbing up against air.  "
Well I'm sorry that a game about rape didn't feature enough rape for you to get off to. For the rest of us, we find the intent disturbing enough. It doesn't matter how "well done" the raping women part of the game was. It's the fact that this game was made to exploit victims of a terrible incident for a couple of dollars. It's not like RapeLay featured some interesting cultural insight or had something to say about the topic of rape. This was a game (however shoddy it may be, according to you) about raping women for no reason other than to get the player off.

RapeLay is a game where you play a rapist who prowls around raping a family of women.  

If you don't see what is fundamentally wrong with that synopsis, then we're done here. You're a fucked up human being. 
gahathat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By gahathat

Remember: O-Button = Accept 
X-Button = Cancel

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By lead_farmer
@Vlaphor: They actually released Steambot Chronicles in America?  Where the hell was I?
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By wrighteous86
@ZeForgotten: @owl_of_minerva said:
" Michigan: Report From Hell, Ghost Trick, Fatal Frame series, and 999 seem to fit the bill. "
I was interested in MIchigan before it came out, but isn't it only out in Europe and Japan on PS2?  So wouldn't I need to mod my PS2 or get a PAL PS2 to play it?
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hailinel
@Wrighteous86 said:
" @ZeForgotten: @owl_of_minerva said:
I was interested in MIchigan before it came out, but isn't it only out in Europe and Japan on PS2?  So wouldn't I need to mod my PS2 or get a PAL PS2 to play it? "
Yes, you would.  The game is Japan/Europe only.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By wrighteous86
@KingWilly said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" @Axxol said:
" RapeLay "

Clearly you haven't even seen anything remotely related to the game. That might be what the game should have been about but again, nothing fucking happens, like, at all.  Unless, again, rape = people rubbing up against air.  "
Well I'm sorry that a game about rape didn't feature enough rape for you to get off to. For the rest of us, we find the intent disturbing enough. It doesn't matter how "well done" the raping women part of the game was. It's the fact that this game was made to exploit victims of a terrible incident for a couple of dollars. It's not like RapeLay featured some interesting cultural insight or had something to say about the topic of rape. This was a game (however shoddy it may be, according to you) about raping women for no reason other than to get the player off.

RapeLay is a game where you play a rapist who prowls around raping a family of women.  

If you don't see what is fundamentally wrong with that synopsis, then we're done here. You're a fucked up human being.  "
After looking into the game, you also wind up impregnating the girl of your choice, and it either ends with her suicide or with her throwing you in front of a train.  Classy stuff.
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mazik765
@Zithe said:
" Surprised no one has mentioned Bayonetta. "
Me too. Doesn't get a whole lot crazier than that game.
iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iDarktread
@Trebz said:

" Cubivore "

I checked my GameCube's memory card yesterday to find that my Cubivore save file was last accessed in 2005. I remember buying the game used from GameStop for close to fifty dollars, and then returning it immediately because I played through the entire game in almost one sitting. 

I regret returning Cubivore to this very day, as it is very difficult to find online for a reasonable price, and impossible to find in any store.   

@Wrighteous86:
 Another game I can recommend is Chibi-Robo, as I finally ordered it, cheap from GameStop, and am finding it to be pretty cute and entertaining. Music plays when you scrub puppy prints off of the floor with a toothbrush. :3
Bonsai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bonsai

Definitely play Disaster Report and/or Raw Danger.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Play LSD. i'm not sure if its on american psn though.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hailinel

I suppose any of the WarioWare games would fit, as well.

Edit:  Forgot.  Wrong platforms. :P

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Turambar
@Wrighteous86 said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" @Axxol said:
" RapeLay "

If you don't see what is fundamentally wrong with that synopsis, then we're done here. You're a fucked up human being.  "
After looking into the game, you also wind up impregnating the girl of your choice, and it either ends with her suicide or with her throwing you in front of a train.  Classy stuff. "
Isn't it either her stabbing you or her throwing you in front of a train?  The only thing about that game that actually caught my interest was the only way to end the game was for the player to die. 
Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Trebz
@iDarktread said:
" @Trebz said:

" Cubivore "

I checked my GameCube's memory card yesterday to find that my Cubivore save file was last accessed in 2005. I remember buying the game used from GameStop for close to fifty dollars, and then returning it immediately because I played through the entire game in almost one sitting. 

I regret returning Cubivore to this very day, as it is very difficult to find online for a reasonable price, and impossible to find in any store.   
You and me both. 

Chibi-Robo is also adorably insane and its much more "playable" than either of the other games I recommended.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By wrighteous86
@rudeboy217 said:
" Play LSD. i'm not sure if its on american psn though. "
According to Wikipedia, it's only Japan.  That sucks, sounds insane. 

@Turambar said:
"Isn't it either her stabbing you or her throwing you in front of a train?  The only thing about that game that actually caught my interest was the only way to end the game was for the player to die.  "
You might be right.  The description of the game really creeped me out, so I didn't look to closely at it and I don't want to go back to check.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@wrathofconn:  Both Gitaroo Man and Mad Maestro are some of my favorite music games ever. I think they were made by the same people.
SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SlightConfuse

defintly get giroo man that game is awesome i believe they made a psp port as well.  

also Z.H.P 

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Turambar
@Wrighteous86:   I played the game out of a morbid sense of curiosity when it was banned on Amazon and both KingWilly and ZeForgotten's criticisms of it are correct.  The base goal of the game, rape, is absurd and offensive.  But the actual game itself is so poorly made that I had a hard time being offended by the actual "gameplay" because it was such an absurd piece of crap.