What are the contenders for Soundtrack of the Year?

• 176 results
TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By TheMasterDS

I can only think of one I'm absolutely sure of myself, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. Seriously if you haven't played it check it out, it's been known to relieve pain. It's got hell of range from Lion King ass Choral shit to Smooth Motherfucking Jazz (or Ska? I don't know genres). From boss music that sounds like Ninja Diddy Kong Racing to Heavy Metal Boss Music. There are a lot of beautiful tracks, a lot of exciting tracks and a lot of nuance. David Wise mixed old and new together super well too. If you know his SNES work there's a lot to love in it. From songs that are half old and half new to motifs and instrumentations from the classics being weaved throughout the soundtrack. Example, the drums of Run Rambi Run playing while riding Rambi in one level. It's really great. The full soundtrack has now been ripped and released in a nice and clean way. Check it. Much better than the old rip.

What other games are viable for the best soundtrack this year? Transistor maybe? That game had some great stuff in it. Shovel Knight? It has pretty solid music but I don't know if I'd ever want to listen to it. Super Smash Bros certainly will have most music but I wouldn't give it that must credit. Mount Your Friends perhaps? The music in that is amazing. Does Vib Ribbon count?

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

Hmm, does John Wick count?

Loading Video...

You can play Wick in Payday, so technically it should count. Right? ...right?

...right?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By hassun

Tropical Freeze is a likely candidate. Although the fact that most of the Bomb Squad have not spent a lot of time with it will probably affect its chances.

Colt45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Crypt of the NecroDancer is pretty killer. No vocals, though (unless you count the dude who sells you stuff, which you totally should).

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pix the Cat is great.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Personally, mine will be Bravely Default. Say what you want about the story structure of that game, but the music is fantastic.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Mario Kart 8 has the best music I've heard all year.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The Yawhg has an amazing soundtrack for its brevity. Also, it kinda doesn't count (because it was technically released last year) but the Killer Instinct soundtrack is fucking incredible. Each new fighter added has had just the most kickass theme, and each one is so different from the last.

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
deactivated-58670791014d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Middle earth comes to mind

Avatar image for dayoneadvantage
DayOneAdvantage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Divinity: Original Sin

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Transistor had a pretty great soundtrack. It's really the only soundtrack that immediately comes to mind.

Unless you count Persona 4 Arena: Ultimax. Sure, it's mostly reused tracks from P3 and P4, but those games have pretty great soundtracks.

Lausebub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=454IG6mfiK8

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I really enjoyed the Lightning Returns soundtrack, particularly the first city's nighttime theme--very jazzy. Drakengard 3 has a pretty excellent soundtrack (that no one heard because no one played it!) that is reminiscent of Nier in several places, just not quite as good. Destiny has some fantastic pieces here and there, but the rest is pretty boring in my opinion. Those are just the ones I can think of.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Transistor's soundtrack is the best part of that game. Shovel Knight's is really solid too; Lightning Returns and Mario Kart 8 also have fantastic music.

I think two that won't get mentioned a lot but I really liked were Valiant Hearts and Child of Light. I still go back and listen to some of those tracks pretty regularly.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I was ready to think long and hard about this, but yes, Donkey Kong. It's a no-brainer. The music's amazing and fits the game perfectly. Lots of subtle integration into the levels themselves, too. Honestly, DK might be in my top 3 overall.

Mordor's music stuck out to me at times, but I spent so much time messing around that the soundtrack felt limited.

Shovel Knight has incredible music. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is great. Wolfenstein was no slouch, either.

Or Master Chief Collection, despite it being a couple weeks away. From the iconic stuff to the grit of Halo 4. So good.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@colt45 said:

Crypt of the NecroDancer is pretty killer. No vocals, though (unless you count the dude who sells you stuff, which you totally should).

That game still has to come out to be considered for that, and god damn I hope it does. I'm against Early Access in principle, but I've come so close to buying it so many times...

Cogzwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Lethal League and Shovel Knight in my mind.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

As of right now? Most likely Tropical Freeze. Destiny and Shovel Knight are up there too. Still waiting on Smash Bros to come out, although the soundtrack for that game being great is a known quantity.

If we're counting trailer music, that one track from the FFXV trailer this year should win.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario Kart 8 has an amazing fucking soundtrack and my guess is that Alex will be pulling strongly for that one. I'm sure SSB4 will have way more music, but we'll see how good the remix's are. Bayonetta 2's soundtrack is Japanese-as-fuck and very fitting though not quite as strong as the originals score. I haven't played Transistor, probably never will, but I listen to that soundtrack daily, the vocal songs are both beatifull and haunting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Unfortunately all my soundtracks of the year also happen to be from games included in my games of the year. BUT

1. Shovel Knight
  2. Transistor
  3. Abyss Odyssey

Someone here said the best part of Transistor was the soundtrack; I disagree but I will state that my favorite part of Shovel Knight is in fact the soundtrack. Shovel Knight is the best collection of Mega Man tracks since Mega Man 3. Plague Knight's music is up there with Snake Man and Flash Man.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Drakengard 3 probably. I haven't played it (having no money is fun!) but I listen to it constantly

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Unfortunately all my soundtracks of the year also happen to be from games included in my games of the year. BUT

1. Shovel Knight
  2. Transistor
  3. Abyss Odyssey

Someone here said the best part of Transistor was the soundtrack; I disagree but I will state that my favorite part of Shovel Knight is in fact the soundtrack. Shovel Knight is the best collection of Mega Man tracks since Mega Man 3. Plague Knight's music is up there with Snake Man and Flash Man.

Transistor gets bonus points for the two versions of each track. I probably spent at least an hour hanging out on the Beach humming to Coasting.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Payday 2.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Transistor. No contest.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Transistor. Wolfenstein. JAZZPUNK. Destiny. In that order.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Corevi

Transistor. The 5 vocal tracks are fucking incredible (Paper Boats actually caused me to tear up) and the instrumental ones are pretty damn good as well.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impartialgecko: I was shocked to see you were the first person to say Jazzpunk.

I would be OK with DK tropical freeze, jazzpunk or Wolfenstein winning. But I think Mario Kart 8 is the most deserving.

I probably would like Transistor's more but I don't think I played enough of it to see much of a variety between the songs.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@noboners: The music in Jazzpunk isn't the most memorable thing about it, unlike Transistor, but it's so fucking good.

I'd also rope all the sound design and effects in with this as well because a lot of Jazzpunk's jokes are built on musical cues.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it's transistor, definitely. Persona always has great soundtracks but I haven't played Persona Q yet.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

Transistor's music is extremely well done and sets up that world well. I don't even know what else contends with it.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GunstarRed

The music in Velocity 2X is incredible. My other choice would be Wolfenstein.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Transistor. Hands fucking down.

Also it probably wont count since Halo 2 (I think this track showed up in the main menu?) came out in 2004, but the Master Chief collection gives us a chance to hear this again:

Loading Video...

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Transistor would probably be in there. I haven't played a lot of games that came out this year though so its going to be tough for me to choose some other proper candidates.

OH WAIT, Crypt of the Necrodancer! That should be a fucking candidate!

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing that came out this year can even hang with Tropical Freeze.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Bayonetta 2 and the Witch and the Hundred Knight are my top picks so far

Loading Video...
TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

@hassun: Patrick has spent some time with it and remarked that the music was way way better than the game which he was very much enjoying... but then he decided to save it for Football season and promptly forgot about that when football started. Dan is way into Returns and only got Tropical Freeze a few weeks ago. Hopefully he puts in the time to play it before GOTY season. If he thinks DKCR is as good as Mario World than I can't imagine how much he should dig Tropical Freeze.

As for the rest of the staff all that needs to happen is when they're making a list of soundtracks to look at for soundtrack of the year prep someone needs to remember to include DKCTF. After that they'll all likely listen to some and the rest should be self evident.

PS I'd like to quickly say it again: Mount Your Friends. Oh wait, does that not count because there was an Xbox indie games version out last year? Bummer if so, that game's music is super dumb and I'd love to see it be nominated.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Transistor, Mario Kart 8 and Bayonetta 2 are the games that spring to mind.

Dat Tomorrow is Mine. Dat Moon River remix. Don't sleep on that Bayonetta 2 soundtrack.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

Transistor had a pretty great soundtrack. It's really the only soundtrack that immediately comes to mind.

Yup, right, that was pretty damn good.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya, completely forgot about Transistor. I'll also second Wolfenstein as a contender.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Banner Saga is far and away my favorite this year so far.

blakey1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

how about the swapper or will it not count because it came out ages ago on the pc. it has a haunting soundtrack that adds to the atmosphere of the game.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EVO

Pix the Cat. Also a contender for most overlooked game of the year.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tropical Freeze curbstomps everything else imo. I have no interest in the game/Wii U, but the soundtrack is ridiculous.

MasterpinE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't weigh in on Tropical Freeze and Transistor as i haven't played either. Putting my vote in for Wolfenstein, solid game all round and i felt the atmospheric music and all the excellent quirky fascist re-mixes really went a long way in the world-building and storytelling.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

It might actually be Lovely Planet for me:

Loading Video...

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never gave The Wolf Among Us its props last year because the whole game wasn't out, and I fully intend on placing it in the running for best soundtrack this year. I absolutely loved the way it mixed 80s and fantasy into its music. It's incredibly atmospheric.

Loading Video...

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By Hunter5024

Transistor is the first word for half of the posts in this thread. It is pretty great, even if I didn't like it as much as Bastion. Bravely Default had quite a few excellent pieces as well. I'm also partial to Luftrausers, Always Sometimes Monsters, and Wolfenstein.

I should probably just listen to the soundtrack for Drakengard 3, but I want to hear it in the game first, and I keep deluding myself into believing I'm going to play that.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Towerfall Ascension, without a doubt.
I kinda put the title screen on this summer just to hear the title music on repeat.

Loading Video...

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: Havent played that witch game, but just hearing that music makes me want to try it!

FerreroChell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Transitor wins. Hands down.