What are the contenders for Soundtrack of the Year?

• 176 results
Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#151  Edited By Blackout62

@beyond_recall said:

@c_rakestraw said:

Transistor definitely takes it. Brilliant score all around. Though Kentucky Route Zero act three comes close thanks to tracks like this:

Loading Video...

I really hope @patrickklepek gets around to catching up on KRZ before year's end, because someone needs to force the inclusion of a 'Best Song' (or maybe 'Best Musical Moment'?) category for "Too Late to Love You." If they hand out any sort of music award and don't mention KRZ, they've fucked up.

I will put more faith in Rock Paper Shotgun giving KRZ their game of the year award again. The Bombcrew hasn't mentioned KRZ since Ryan and Patrick's quick look. And darn it I love KRZ.

triplestan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By triplestan

@blackout62: Exactly, I think the somewhat scatter shot nature of its release will keep KRZ off more than a few GOTY lists, which is a god damn shame.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#153  Edited By Blackout62

@triplestan: How have Brad and Rorie not played it yet? It's so literate you'd think it'd be a breath of fresh air for at least one of them. Hell, Dan's from one state over, make him play it.

Excuse me, I'm digressing. Soundtrack... The cover of "In The Pines" for Walking Dead Season 2 was pretty good.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Loading Video...

DuncanKeller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody has mentioned Kero Rhythm? OST to Kero Blaster, which is from pixel (cave story guy)

It's amazing. Transistor is certainly up there for me too, though.

Avatar image for kenniworldpeace
kenniWORLDPEACE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

Tropical Freeze is a likely candidate. Although the fact that most of the Bomb Squad have not spent a lot of time with it will probably affect its chances.

i LOVED that soundtrack. its been in heavy rotation since i made the purchase. shovel knight also comes to mind. this year, i did not play as many games as years in the past, so im a bit under-qualified i suppose. that being said, im still confident in saying tropical freeze is a strong candidate. im biased though. ive bee a fan of dave wise and his particular style with the dkc franchise for years. =p

the last time i heard a game soundtrack that moved me the way tropical freeze has in recent years was the scott pilgrim vs. the world game soundtrack.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By flameboy84

Sunset Overdrive for me! Forget the Dubstep stuff that takes over towards the end it's all about the jolly punk/ska soundtrack through out the game. Unless I missed it happening, Microsoft missed a trick not having a gig for the launch event for this game!

MogiGrumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I 2nd the nomination for FRACT OSC...

DLeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I nominate Brad's rendition of the shopkeeper's theme from "Crypt of the Necrodancer" (extra-life stream).

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lausebub: oh wow never heard of that game but that soundtrack is goddamn great :D

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I 2nd the nomination for FRACT OSC...

You would :)

benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Crypt of the Necrodancer is a strong contender, for sure. The singing shop-keeper is so good, I really wish he was audible throughout the entire level instead of just within proximity.

Of course, Warlords of Draenor has an absolutely amazing orchestral soundtrack the likes of which only Blizzard can provide. In particular, the Alliance Garrison music (the track "Wolf at the gates") is just fantastic, as is the medley "Siege of Worlds" that plays at the login screen.

I'm sure there are more!

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Transistor.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By NTM

Alien Isolation; The Walking Dead Season Two; Valiant Hearts; MGS5: Ground Zeroes; Velocity 2x; I hadn't played it (yet), but I assume A Bird Story has a great one. Well, I know it does, but how it fits the game, I don't know. Hmmmm. There's more that's worth mentioning. I think The Wolf Among Us has some good ones. Destiny did have a good score as well...

MogiGrumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum: hehe, in all seriousness there is some stiff competition this year on soundtracks. so much great stuff came out!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By NTM

These aren't posting correctly... Not sure how to do it. First link is to Valiant Hearts, and second is for The Walking Dead Season Two.

No Caption Provided

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5oC-O-4164

No Caption Provided

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8zERzQSKFg&list=PLoAPkrji16yH7H8soY_8pQyMbymtmbBou&index=20

trom301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't read everything here, but FRACT has to be on the list.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By JohnTunoku

Toss up between Shovel Knight and DK Tropical Freeze for me.

Loading Video...

^Track of the year. Youtube does weird things to it though.

Honorable mentions for: Transistor and Dragon Age Inquisition (the sheer quantity of music is pretty commendable).

Haven't played Persona Q but I'm sure that would be right up my alley as well.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#169  Edited By Yummylee

Drakengard 3. Like, no question.

I haven't played the game, but I have listened to pieces of its soundtracks... And man, those boss battle themes are pumpin'. It's like this year's Revengeance!

I think Far Cry 4 has some surprisingly great bits of music in there. Most of it is for the sake of ambience, but it works throughout most of it.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Alien: Isolation is another such example of having some great ambient music that really fits the tone.

Dark Souls II's soundtrack isn't as consistent as the original, but it has some alright tracks. Old Dragonslayer and the Ruin Sentinel themes in particular stand out for me.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Clean

I think Shovel Knight's 8 bit retro soundtrack or Transistor's bad ass alternative rock snippets are both amazing choices

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Drakengard 3 is easily the best.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus has a better soundtrack than it has any right to.

Loading Video...

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Lest this land swallow you whole, as it has so many others

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read a hundred comments and not one single mention of Dreamfall: Chapters which is slightly disappointing. No love for this great and fairly moving soundtrack. If not at least Shitbox?

"Welding! Well-Ding, What about the Welding!"

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@meatball said:

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Transistor, Mario Kart 8 and Bayonetta 2 are the games that spring to mind.

Dat Tomorrow is Mine. Dat Moon River remix. Don't sleep on that Bayonetta 2 soundtrack.

So I kinda skimmed this thread earlier, but holy shit, that Moon River remix is so dumb and great. What a battle theme. Oh Bayonetta 2, shine on you crazy diamond.

I'll see you that, and raise you a "weird disco march from Bravely Default":

Loading Video...

Get ready to shake your booty about 50 seconds in.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7