What are your favourite end credits in a game?

• 48 results
Nuttism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I really appreciate a good ending, but what isn't mentioned as much is how the end credits can really elevate it if done well. I am not just discussing the credits song, though it is important (there are already two threads dedicated to that), but also the visuals, font, any interactivity, even length!

No Caption Provided

I can think of a few examples of the top of my head, though I am sure there are more. Undertale had a basic shooting gallery ending where you can find a secret, the Stanley Parable had a credit museum in one of its endings, which you can walk around in to see the development process and both Portal games of course had their in universe ending songs where lyrics appear on a computer screen and Glados sings.

No Caption Provided

My favourite end credits are in What Remains of Edith Finch. The camera slowly pans down through the floors of the house as pictures of the developers as children litter the wall and shelves. There is something really eerie, yet vulnerable about those credits. It really got me to think back over the whole game and what it might be trying to say.

Those are just some examples which popped up. Please share your own suggestions in the comments! I don't personally mind spoilers, but keep in mind that there is a good chance you might see some due to the nature of the topic.

krelmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was riding such a high when Mass Effect 1 ended that they could have done anything in the credit sequence and I would have been hyped for the whole thing. the euro techno track had me in a great mood. Sovereign was set up to be unbeatable and all of the council races join up to defeat him I cried tears when the alliance and turian fleets jump in. Guess I just wanted to say I loved the first Mass Effect ending and the other two games while better games were not nearly the story powerhouses the first game was. They had there moments the suicide mission in two was cool but that wasn’t the ending the giant terminator head was the ending. And the ending of the whole 7 year journey really doesn’t work unless you played the played the leviathan dlc first. So I guess I’m saying I love the end credits of the game I had the best time with and that is Mass Effect I

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

At the risk of slightly bending the rules, Hitman: Blood Money.

Kyary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't think of a ton of interactive credits, but I thought Monkey Ball 2's were pretty amusing. Same goes for the Melee credits which came up after tons of modes (getting a good score is legit hard)

laughingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By laughingman

The end credits of Octopath Traveler show snapshots of all the boss fights you've been through, taken as you defeated them. I only noticed it about halfway through, but it was amazing. Those were my teams, my fights, and my victories. I wish more games would do something like that.

ETA: Chrono Trigger's endings, especially the development room ending. That one was a lot of fun.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Impossibly hard to get away from answering Nier: Automata here.

ThatPainting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fracturedveil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zelda: Majora's Mask. How can you not like the Carnival of Time?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#12 fisk0  Moderator

Not sure they're actually a favorite, but the first that came to mind were Doom's end credits that go through all the enemies including their death animations (when you press the "fire" key).

Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Assassin’s Creed II, you get that holy hell moment of they’re talking to you in the present at the end of the game and then you get to do some modern day escaping/stabbing over the credits scroll with Jesper Kyd’s music - it’s stuck with me…

luisrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Obviously

Nuttism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imhungry: I haven't played that game but heard about the ending. A very strong contender for sure!

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#16 FinalDasa  Moderator
Loading Video...

Nothing will ever beat Rogue Warrior.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I assume we're largely going by implementation of credits not necessarily the song itself.

I always wanna mention Pyre anyway for this topic since both the song and the art made it hit me so hard at the time.

Surely Shadow of the Colossus fits within a best-of for this category. Even to the bitter end it maintains an air of mystery around it's world.

Special mention to Judgment's credits which I love to bits.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There can LITERALLY only be one

Loading Video...

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

in the PSN classic "Trash Panic" you play the credits at the end. Granted I never got far enough in that fucking game to see the credits but Vinny said it and I believe him

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Journey end credits leap immediately to mind, partly for the gorgeous music of course, but also the pretty visuals and the rebirth reveal... i.e., you make it to the top of the mountain and the end credits show you as a shooting-star like thing making its way back to the beginning. It's a great capstone to a great overall experience.

Loading Video...

elcidtmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What, no Knack post here?

snaketelegraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Interactive credits always tickles me a little so one of my immediate thoughts was Typing of the Dead. Dunno that it elevates this very silly game but it wraps it up well.

Loading Video...

Ryan3370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ryan3370

Double Dragon Neon has the best credits and it's not close

https://youtu.be/PLNlF1QQrrM

Nuttism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryan3370: Definitely has the best end credits song! I still listen to it regularly, and even sing it (badly) in the showers sometimes when no-one is home. The achievement gag was also pretty great.

archnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By archnite

I've always admired Drakengard 3's credits for listing everyone in Alphabetical order regardless of position.

Our game has a little credits moment at the end to play through, always felt kind of weird to me that most games slam into film style credits at the end with no gameplay.

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By Phoenix654

Super Mario RPG has one of my personal faves. The unique sprite work they out into a few minutes of parade at the end really makes me smile.

Loading Video...
mAAArii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Infinite warfare made me cry. Something about. A robot coming to terms with his death. It was a lot of farewell messages. Maybe the only time Ive ever cried in a videogame. YouTube here I come.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Smash Bros. Melee is God Tier credits. Some one actually got 100% clear on that shooter minigame just recently for the first time ever. Real incredible stuff.

Loading Video...

Fluidk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I remember correctly, Secret Of Mana had the best JRPG ending because it was exactly what you want.

The characters adventure back through the world and revisit all of the people you met along the way. Then the two surviving heroes part ways and the main character returns to the sleepy town where the adventure began.

Showing the mundanity of the aftermath of the epic adventure was cool.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Loading Video...

This is my true favorite end credits theme in gaming of all time, this makes players feel like being the race car driver of the year while celebrating during new years eve.

Bamfgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure if I have a favourite. I generally hate end game credits, especially if you can't skip them. I know the people involved want to be recognised for their work. But I don't know these people, never will and won't remember their names. The credits arent for the user or viewer. Who can honestly say they sit there reading the names? Nobody I'm sure. But. If you bought a car do you have everybody who built it have their name inscribed on the dash. No you don't. What make it worse is when they include evebody in the company and other companies including the cleaners and tea ladies. I've just finished the game escape plan. It's an indie game from studio Monica on ps vita. The end credits are lasting forever like in tbe assassin creed ending credits. This game was most likely made by a hand full of people however the credits are including everyone at studio Monica and everyone in sony entertainment or whatever they're challed now. Just no need for it. Studio japan names are popping up now, I bet these people don't even know the game?

izzy_izumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chrono Trigger, Developer Ending. "Oh you beat this by beating the End Boss within the first hour? Here's the credits in 100x speed, kthnxbai".

(I'm aware you can get this ending another way, but I always tried to get it after getting at least one party member during the Millenial Fair beginning.)

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished Astro’s Playroom and I thought the credits were pretty great for that game.

alianger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 25

#39  Edited By alianger

Always liked the credits in Altered Beast. Oddly cheerful music plays as you beat the shit out of the letters.

FF7 and Ico are two other faves.

mono-no-aware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nier: Automata is the only answer I could possibly give. If you know, you know.

Saimonsaeen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Saimonsaeen

I loved the end of Red Dead Redemption with John in the barn.Was a real "holy shit" moment for me.

peffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The one that immediately comes to mind is Assassin's Creed Black Flag. I don't know why, but I just found it incredibly emotional (yeah I cried). Not that the story was really well-told or anything, but it's just stuck in my mind for some reason.

Anne Bonny sings a sad song. Edward meets the daughter he just found out about (also he didn't know his wife died already). Credits roll over a scene of Edward talking to his daughter while sailing his ship back to England I think?

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By chamurai  Online

I've tried to add to this thread but I honestly can't think of any good endings. Wolfenstein II made it so everytime I think of game endings all I can remember is...well, yeah.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Until Dawn has the best ending credits, because your 'particular ending' based on who you saved and didn't save is played out for you. Each of the deaths of the people you lost are reenacted with some dramatic angles. Then the survivors talk to the police while they reveal who they blame or what they think happened based on what they know and who they were in a relationship with.

Peter Stormare, Hayden Panettiere, Rami Malek, Brett Dalton and the rest of the cast are annoying, frustrating, and thus...FUN! People confuse campy and provoking with bad; no this cast and this story are being as memorable as possible. The story is TRYING to provoke you! That story wants you to choose side while playing the blame game. The story is trying to have you yelling at the screen! It not trying to be Shakespeare! Its not trying to be subtle!

But, here is the thing folks, if you have not played this PS4 game, just do it! Don't try to confirm that this ending looks cool on YouTube. Play the Game! And, don't put too much credience on the 7.9 Metacritic score, it is so much better of game than people realize. Do yourself a favor in October, buy a copy of this game and play it. Don't be a chicken and use saves "to fix" mistakes. Let your game playout. Then play it again!

How can you not play a game with Peter Stormare just being creepy, while he talks to you?!

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear Solid 4 came to mind even though I never actually played it myself lol

I also want to say Shadow Hearts 2, but I am not sure if the reveal was more of a post credit thing.

Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger dev ending/credit is kind of fun.

OK I am almost afraid to ask since I haven't play it, but want to so no spoiler please; for Nier Automata did they pull the same trick they did with the last ending of Nier? Is that what people are talking about?

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By theonewhoplays

@soimadeanaccount: Not sure how to explain it to you without spoilers. Let's just say getting through the credits is REALLY hard. It's great, it's emotional, it's thematic. And really frickin' hard.

I would also add the latest God of War to the list. The game keeps going while the credits roll and it works really well.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By glots

While far from favorite and not just a single ending, part of me *kinda* misses the era in the 2000s, where you’d had some ”hit song” play over the credits of the nth third-person action-adventure you just finished. The Thing even mentions it on the back of the box, which is kinda hilarious. Like that’s a selling point for some people (maybe some Saliva fans did buy the game because of it, who knows.

No Caption Provided
Ohverture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do love the Saints Row 4 end credit dance off - it's just as stupid as the rest of the game but it plays to the characters so well that you've gotten to know through the games.

SR-3 as well if just for that banging remix of King Crimson's 21st century schizoid man.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By tartyron
Loading Video...

Silent Hill 2 Dog Ending. I'm shocked I'm the first to mention it.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, yeah. The UFO ending in the first game didn't have wacky credits, did it? Oh, wait.

Silent Hill 1 had a gag reel.

Loading Video...