what best looking snow in video games?

blackadder88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By blackadder88

i loved the way snow falling looking in Donkey Kong Country it always reminds me going up North Ontario where grandparents live

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

No Caption Provided

Personality wise, he is really annoying. But you can't deny that he's really good looking.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Rise of the Tomb Raider in UHD has some pretty amazing looking snow.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Probably a tie between Horizon and RDR2.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably RDR2? The deformation tech is really incredible.

flatblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God of war and RDR2 both have great snow. Very easy to get the penises drawn in there.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Obviously any game that came out this year looks the best but at the time Lost Planet was pretty amazing!

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Best I've seen is the show in the Frozen Wilds DLC for Horizon. Deforms super accurately when you roll around in it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not the best looking snow, especially if you're taking into account how it reacts to the way the player moves in it, but I really like the look of the snowfall in The Division, as well as a game I'm playing through again which is Mass Effect Andromeda. The snow that flies by you on Voeld looks great. In both games, the way light hits them is impressive to me.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By BoboBones

@zombie2011: I quite enjoyed the first Lost Planet at the time. It really stuck with me. Great vibe, and I thought the multiplayer was more then solid.

I feel like RDR2 is the clear winner, but Dead Space 3 was the second game that came to mind.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#11 fisk0  Moderator

Many games, even recent ones seem to have issues accurately depicting the way snow reflects light and glimmers, and especially the way a blizzard fucks with your sense of direction, it shouldn't just limit your view distance, snow doesn't tend to fall in a uniform direction, but whirls around in a way that can totally make you lose your orientation if you don't have any visible landmarks around you.

Battlefield V and Battlefront 2 did fairly good jobs at the glimmering part at least, and I'll say that most Quantic Dream games, all other issues aside, have had really good snow for their time, ever since Fahrenheit.

CrazyCarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Horizon Zero Dawn (DLC) is the best in recent memory. Technically impressive.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are technically more impressive games, but when i think snow i think Lost Planet 3.
The original Lost Planet still looks great, and watching your character wade waist deep through snow is still a unique aspect of that game, but LP3 really ramps things up on the art and atmospherics.
I like the gameplay more than most people, but i think we can all agree the art is on point, s*** looks cold.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Most recently I really do think the snow in RDR2 is quite spectacular - from the refractive lighting to the deformation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c295850623f7
deactivated-5c295850623f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Without going for the most graphics route, in terms of a fully realised atmosphere and use of light I think SSX3 still holds up really well.

In the same vein, MGS1 is up there too.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely RDR2 with the deformation tech on it. I just wish that HDR worked right, I think that would add a lot to the snow.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

There is actually a YouTube video that compares a few game. Steep, Hitman, Uncharted 4, RDR 2, God or War, and Horizon Zero Dawn. I think the RDR2, God of War , and Horizon Zero Dawn video is the most relevant - those three games blow away those others for snow render and deformation.

Shockingly, I think God of War has a noticeable edge over RDR2. The footprints and disruption of snow just turns out more realistic by my eye. God of War's snow just seems to l;ook more like snow whereas RDR2 look like people/animals disrupting a stiff fluid.

While Horizon loses this battle it does do something NEITHER of the other games do. When you want through snow underlying grass appears in your footprint. It is notwell rendered grass or snow, but the snow being a layer with yet another layer beneath is a nice idea.

So the winner, in my mind, is without a doubt God of War.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God War for sure. Its snow is actually crumbley. Other games looks like you're deforming Jello.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Red Dead Redemption 2, God of War, or Horizon Zero Dawn.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last of Us snow level, after Joel is injured and Ellie goes into the cannibal town?

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombie2011: Lost Planet captured snow really well. I felt cold playing it.

Wind River was a film that had the same impact on me. Wonderfully captured...

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21: Awesome! I love good snow and these are three of the next games I plan to play.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Red Dead 2 by far

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By notnert427

RDR 2 does not merit consideration until they make the game actually have HDR, which yet another patch did not fix.

Rise of the Tomb Raider gets my vote until then. Also, Forza Horizon 4's Winter season looks real good.

Avatar image for securityguruguy
SecurityGuruGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Dead Redemption 2 I think has the best snow/winter storm. It felt truly oppressive and scary.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ski Free

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: Great flick! Have watched Wind River a couple of times now, nice small compact crime story in the absolute middle of nowhere Wyoming.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ares42

I dunno, I've interacted too much with snow in my life to make any of it look good. While the physics of it in games mentioned here is impressive it still doesn't look like real snow to me. I think the problem is that they treat all snow as if it's powder snow, which admittedly makes their tech look great, but it has those same kind of obvious tells that movie snow has.

Edit: Found a picture to illustrate my point.

No Caption Provided

The right part is what one person going through snow looks like, while videogames tend to look way more like the left side. If you were to walk through snow leaving as much of a trail as you see in videogames you would exhaust yourself in two minutes.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bmccann42: Yeah, I feel especially great about Wind River as some violin from the score kicked-in early in the film and I thought “holy shit, that’s Warren Ellis!” I looked it up and, sure enough, he did that score with Nick Cave. The guy has a distinctive sound to his violin (play style and equipment) that I absolutely love (check out Nick Cave’s Weeping Song studio recording vs. the life Ellis’ violin brings to it live).

So yeah, I’m way off-topic...great film with beautiful nature shots (including snow) and a wonderful score.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nutter

@ares42: New Englander here...not the snowiest place on earth, but we get our share (snowed this afternoon here!).

I’d actually really dig something like a Max Payne remake, or a thriller in a New England town where they just go for it on the snow. Wet snow, heavy snow, icy snow, slick snow, filthy road snow, pristine woods snow, etc. The sound snow brings to an environment, the way it reflects light to blinding degrees...I really want this now...

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: Ever see The Proposition? Really rough Australian "western" set around 1880 or so starring Guy Pearce, with this super haunting and creepy music by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bmccann42: It’s on my to-watch list already, but I’ll bump it up. Love westerns as well as the music those men create (Bad Seeds, Dirty Three, Grinderman).

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: It's all kinds of rough and "authentic" - everyone is dirty, bad teeth, dishonest, no really redeeming characters. It's a great movie.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think uncharted 2 should get a mention. At the time it was pretty great! Now I think rdr has the bump above horizon dlc

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RDR2

Wolf3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sub_o said:
No Caption Provided

Personality wise, he is really annoying. But you can't deny that he's really good looking.

LOL! You win.

I like the character just fine though.