What do you want from videogames in the future: Better story or better gameplay?

• 122 results
MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MikeGosot
MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MikeGosot

So, the question is pretty simple: In the future, would you like to see videogames with better stories(Better characters, better atmosphere, better dialogue, etc..) or better gameplay(More clever ways to interact with the world, using the interactive aspect of video games to make you have fun/cry/whatever, etc...)?
Personally, even though i always say that in a video GAME the GAMEplay is the most important aspect of it, i would like to see the medium getting better at telling stories, or at least getting a better atmosphere in the future. What do you people think?

EDIT: Also, for everyone saying both... This question is more along the lines of "If you could only pick one, and the other stops evolving."

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Both?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#4  Edited By StarvingGamer

Maybe it's because I am getting older, but it's probably story for me. I find I can ignore a lot of bad gameplay and power on through a game if the story connects with me in a powerful way. On the flip side, I have dropped quite a few games that are mechanically sound because I was completely uninterested in what happened next.

That said, my favorite genre is fighting games which are 100% gameplay to me. But since I'm pretty satisfied with the current quality of mechanics in fighting games I don't think I'd be too upset if they didn't get much better.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MikeGosot
@Video_Game_King said:

Both?

You can only choose one because i'm evil, or something.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

Then gameplay with gamers being more appreciative of story or something?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Both. But I've liked my favorite games of all time so much mostly because of the story, so I'll go with that.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikeGosot
@StarvingGamer said:
But since I'm pretty satisfied with the current quality of mechanics in fighting games I don't think I'd be too upset if they didn't get much better.
Yeah, i was going to say "Gameplay", but i'm pretty satisfied with gameplay as it is today. Doesn't mean i don't want something new, i just want to see more story and shit.
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By pyromagnestir

If only one could get better I'd choose story.

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fishmicmuffin

Gameplay is fun in the moment, a good story sticks with you long after it's over.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find games fun already. Asteroids is still awesome. That game is over 30 years old.

Story wise... They can get a lot better.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Both. But if i had to chose one... I used to think that story is the most important aspect of a game. Well I've reinstalled Borderlands lately, and then i realized that gameplay is most important. With that said, stories and plots need improvement in the video game medium, more so than gameplay.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Animasta

most stories in games are kinda bad, though there are those that stick with you for a long time, so I'll go with that.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mordukai

@Video_Game_King said:

Both?

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By killacam

@MikeGosot said:

So, the question is pretty simple: In the future, would you like to see videogames with better stories(Better characters, better atmosphere, better dialogue, etc..) or better gameplay(More clever ways to interact with the world, using the interactive aspect of video games to make you have fun/cry/whatever, etc...)? Personally, even though i always say that in a video GAME the GAMEplay is the most important aspect of it, i would like to see the medium getting better at telling stories, or at least getting a better atmosphere in the future. What do you people think?

i think the term video GAMES is outdated. arguably some of the best titles out there focus less on gameplay and more on immersing the player in its world. it's probably controversial, but i really think much of heavy rain nailed the balance between narrative and gameplay (if you don't need to be shooting something in the face every 2 seconds to be contented).

i guess what i'm saying is that to me, gameplay is almost meaningless when it doesn't feel symbiotic with the story. my least favourite parts in a game like mass effect are the combat, which i assume would be considered the "gameplay" aspect. it's just so disjointed from the bulk of the story aspects.. it's literally story part -> shoot some guys -> more story -> etc. but in a game such as dead space for example, the combat is much more intertwined with the narrative and at the heart of the game's essence, and i enjoy it far more in that context.

so let's just all agree to call video games "interactives", or something less lame sounding.

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Schmollian

Why not both? Are we doomed to one or the other? Shit, well I guess story.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ares42

After going on a gaming bonanza for the last few years I've come to one conclusion, gameplay is everything. At this point I can't even find the muster to play a game unless I enjoy the gameplay. Even looking back at all my favorite and go-to games for the last few years, all of them are gameplay focused games. I also just don't believe video-games is a great medium for story-telling. That's not to say there shouldn't be any story-telling, but in games it has much more of a functional role than an artistic one. Exploring new gameplay is just so incredibly more rewarding than yet another half-unique story, and I don't believe the medium is actually able to reach a high enough level of story-telling to trump it. Too much of what makes a game a game just sabotages the potential for an actual great story.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SlashDance

If I choose story does it mean that gameplay starts to be shitty in every game or just that innovation in game design stops ?

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By killacam

@SlashDance said:

If I choose story does it mean that gameplay starts to be shitty in every game or just that innovation in game design stops ?

all i know is, choose wisely. our fates are in your hands.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By forkboy

I'm fine with where gameplay is & tend to think that on the whole plot, atmosphere, characters, etc could all use considerable work in the vast majority of titles. So yeah.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MideonNViscera

Gameplay. Games that are story based are already pretty good at it. Not that gameplay is lacking in most games, but I can (in theory) write a good story with a piece of paper and a pen. Gameplay probably won't get much better until the tech does. Then again, Final Fantasy 6 had both. I'm still going to go with gameplay though, because everything in that department is currently really stale.

Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Joker369

@mordukai said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Both?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MikkaQ

If I had to choose, gameplay. Games are getting a little too close to hollywood movies these days, and cutting back on interactivity between your Uncharteds and Call of Dutys. I'd like to see renaissance of gameplay-focused games. Indie games tend to be pretty good about this.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By morningstar

I rather have both of course, but gameplay is the most important. I can read a book if I want the best story.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Addfwyn

Of course, both is ideal, but if I have to choose one or the other? Story, every time. I think it's why JRPGs remain one of my favourite genres.

The games that have stuck with me the most, that I can even say affected my life in some ways, were RPGs with a huge story focus. Games with amazing gameplay are great at the time, and sometimes great to come back to, but they don't stay with me like a truly memorable story. A great example I think is Xenogears, my favourite game of all time, which had decent but not amazing gameplay coupled with a top-notch story. The story is why I loved that game, and while the gameplay was totally serviceable, it'd have been a forgettable experience without the story.

Some degree of quality gameplay is required, and I have absolutely zero tolerance for companies releasing broken games, but in the end the story is what I am almost always looking for in a game.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Chop

Gameplay

I assume a larger focus on story would mean even more scripting and linear bullshit. I don't want more Call of Duty or Uncharted.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By AhmadMetallic

This generation sacrificed gameplay innovation by focusing on stories and characters. I want games to be about the interactivity again.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Canteu

I play games for gameplay. Honestly I don't give a shit about story, I read books for that.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Justin258

If I had to choose, it would be gameplay. I certainly like story and can forgive a game of some faults if its story is good enough, but gameplay is just far more important to me. If I must have a good story, then there are plenty of books available that do not ask me to trudge through boring and uninteresting (or worse, frustrating and buggy) gameplay segments for another morsel of narrative.

It doesn't hurt that there haven't been many games with exemplary stories. Bioshock and... uh... yeah, that's what I can name off of the top of my head. I hesitate to say any RPG's because those almost always present a problem, and then toss in a whole bunch of tangents for you to go off on in the form of sidequests. While I do enjoy those, I find that it makes it really hard for me to give a damn about the main story when there are so many other things on hand at the present and the main conclusion is fifty or so hours away. To me, that's good at establishing the world and its customs, but it's not good at keeping a tight and focused story.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#32  Edited By Hailinel

Narratives still tend to lag behind gameplay in terms of their quality in many games. It would be nice to see them catch up.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Tylea002

@Video_Game_King said:

Both?

This.

If I had to vote, I'd say Story. But really, I want them to be one and the same. Mass Effect and Journey, in 2 completely separate ways, bring you closer to feel like you are 'playing' the story, rather than playing a game with a story. And that's what the future of gaming should be.

So yes, better gameplay, in service of story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends what you mean by focusing on story. Do you mean more Uncharted-style emulating Hollywood summer blockbusters? Then fuck no, gameplay all the way. If you mean actually utilizing the strengths of video games as an interactive medium to tell a story rather than trying to pretend games are movies, then...maybe. Actually, still no. Gameplay has taken such a horrible dive this generation that I fear what would happen to games if devs strayed even further away from focusing on gameplay.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jay_ray

I believe that you can not get one without the other, you will get better story telling through game play innovation/interaction and I believe the next big thing in game play is developing new ways to tell a story using game play.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By AngelN7

Can't we have both? I love storytelling in videogames more than some movies lately and gameplay is just as important if not more of course is a game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Tough choice, but if I absolutely must choose, story. Bad stories makes it hard to connect with games, and even if the gameplay is bad, I'll still get through it to see the game to the end.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like both. But due to the higher cost of games and mainstream console gaming it will most likely be games that play themselfs for the majority of titles.

FulgoreSenpai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FulgoreSenpai

you can't really choose just one because if a game is lacking in one of these it usually isn't very good or is just rental worthy.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BBQBram

I'd say both, but I voted for story because that's where it's got the most catching up to do. And hopefully in ways that can only be achieved in games.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By DeF

There are already examples of excellent gameplay.

Story however? Almost every game has story thrown at it in some way but it's rarely, if ever, excellent. Not just story as in plot but story as in actual writing, direction, character development and all the other intricacies we take for granted in other storytelling media.

You know how people always say "the graphics are good ...for a Wii game"? Maybe we should start saying "the story is pretty good ... for a video game" more often to remind ourselves that video game storytelling still has a long long way to go.

Every time I hear someone being totally excited for the story in the latest Gears, Mass Effect, Zelda or God of War game, I go "eh, really?". Simply having a lot of it with voice actors that don't suck at their job doesn't make a story good or well told.

I've just started playing ME3 (about 3 hours in now) and the story parts have been pretty bad so far... I don't remember them being this bad in 1 and 2 but that's how it is now, in my opinion - simply from a craftsmanship perspective. B-movie level at best. The scope they're shooting for obviously doesn't fit into the budget and timetable devs have at their disposal. I think that's partly due to the nature of video games being tied to hardware - so many resources have to be spent on making sure the game runs well and pushes the hardware its on instead of spending it on crafting an excellent narrative experience.

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By Atary77

Can't it be both? Although in all honesty some of the greatest games made didn't have a story of any kind so, I'll go with game play.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43  Edited By zyn

Gameplay.

NellyK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44  Edited By NellyK

Ideally, both. But if one area can be improved, it's always gonna be game play for me. If I need story, I can read a book or watch a movie.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By FreakAche

How about both?

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jay444111

I choose story because it is more important than gameplay these days. By that, I mean that Gameplay has largely stayed the same for the last 20 years. Might as well just make something that works then make a story in it. Mainly because that is literally the only way to innovate nowadays. Also, games without stories are crap almost always and we call them out on it. This shows us that story matters to us just as much as gameplay USED to.

Both are equal in terms of quality in some games, however in terms of actual importance story goes WAY over gameplay.

Besides, there have been hundreds to thousands of amazing stories brought to life thanks to video games. At least they aren't the medium that abridges everything like movies do. That alone makes them better than movies. (but other stuff like actual story quality and interactivity just prove movies are in the past in terms of innovation and art.)

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By upwarDBound

Faced with those two options I would pick gameplay. It is possible for a great game to stand entirely on its gameplay having no story. What does stories getting better even mean? I get the impression that people want to solely get their story needs from video games rather than a source more suited to them. The story bits in most games could be transcribed to written form, or audio-visual form divorced from the gameplay and nothing would be lost. In many cases something would be gained.

I play games for their interactivity and it is that component that defines games that I want to see improved. The moment I am completely satisfied with the way games play is the moment that games die for me. There is still so much more that can be done in the realms of gameplay that I want to see while I still hold interest in this medium. I can get the most wild varied stories imaginable from a little thing called books. And let me tell you, some of my favorite books and stories of all time would be terrible if they were attempted to be shoehorned into a game with their current gameplay limitations.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheCreamFilling

Story. I want better reasons why I'm pointing my gun at Russians and shooting them until they die!

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jay444111

@upwarDBound said:

I play games for their interactivity and it is that component that defines games that I want to see improved. The moment I am completely satisfied with the way games play is the moment that games die for me. There is still so much more that can be done in the realms of gameplay that I want to see while I still hold interest in this medium. I can get the most wild varied stories imaginable from a little thing called books. And let me tell you, some of my favorite books and stories of all time would be terrible if they were attempted to be shoehorned into a game with their current gameplay limitations.

Wow... that literally could not be more wrong even if you tried.

How much can gameplay evolve anymore? Let me ask you that question, with how we are already are able to interact with everything in video games and such. There is literally nowhere left to go in terms of video game gameplay evolution. Most things have been done before and literally the only way to advance things is with story/story+gameplay games.

until we finally get virtual reality, there is no where else to go until then.

Besides, video games that were books at first are actually pretty fucking amazing, whether they be adventure games like I have no mouth and I must scream or FPS with Metro 2033. Book to game transitions work far more than books to movies ever will.

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By upwarDBound

@Jay444111:

I know of few books that were adapted to video games. I know of the Witcher and that's about it. I said nothing about book to movie transitions.

Also to think that gameplay cannot evolve anymore is very narrow thinking. If that were the case I would hang up gaming right now.