CODBLOPS is pretty tarded.

TenStoryMother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#202  Edited By TenStoryMother

Killzone 3.  I enjoyed the game, but would have loved it if I had any idea what the story was trying to say.  It would have been better if it tossed the cut-scenes out the window and just continued to give you enemies to shoot. 

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#203  Edited By one_2nd
@Flaime said:
" Borderlands. The story telling is terrible and nothing about the world interests me. "
I agree. Great game, but the story sucked. 
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#204  Edited By wrighteous86
@Slaker117 said:

" @Jay444111 said:

" Hell, even Kojima is somewhat better than even stephen king just for the fact that hideo knows how to actually end something."
He should have put a bullet in Snake's head. Everything wrapped up at the end of MSG4, but the ending was easily my least favorite part. The story was neat overall, completely insane and divorced from any sense of reality, but neat, yet after going through so much shit, things worked out too nicely. No one besides Snake had to give anything up. They had there cake and ate it too, which is bullshit. Also, this is the storytelling, not the actual story, but the dialogue is pretty unbearable at times. "
Nah, man. I'm all for the bittersweet ending, but after all that torture and shit he put Snake through in MGS4, it would've felt almost exploitative to just have him kill himself. Here's that hero you love, now I'll take everything away from him and put him through physical and mental anguish for the next 20 hours, and then just kill him off without any reprieve or chance to celebrate his final victory.

I know my opinion probably isn't popular, but if they kept the plot the same and put him through the same trials, I don't think I would've liked him dying like that. It would've been almost too much. Having him live out the last month or two of his life in peace felt right (aside from that BB bullshit at the end), since he's still going to die shortly. If they have him show up in another game during this "rest" period, however, then I take back my opinion -- that would completely ruin it.

Raiden definitely should have died though, or they shouldn't have had him "almost" die 5 times, at least.
mackdaddicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#205  Edited By mackdaddicus

heavy rain, not close

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#206  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
@Wrighteous86 said:
" @Slaker117 said:

" @Jay444111 said:

" Hell, even Kojima is somewhat better than even stephen king just for the fact that hideo knows how to actually end something."
He should have put a bullet in Snake's head. Everything wrapped up at the end of MSG4, but the ending was easily my least favorite part. The story was neat overall, completely insane and divorced from any sense of reality, but neat, yet after going through so much shit, things worked out too nicely. No one besides Snake had to give anything up. They had there cake and ate it too, which is bullshit. Also, this is the storytelling, not the actual story, but the dialogue is pretty unbearable at times. "
Nah, man. I'm all for the bittersweet ending, but after all that torture and shit he put Snake through in MGS4, it would've felt almost exploitative to just have him kill himself. Here's that hero you love, now I'll take everything away from him and put him through physical and mental anguish for the next 20 hours, and then just kill him off without any reprieve or chance to celebrate his final victory.

I know my opinion probably isn't popular, but if they kept the plot the same and put him through the same trials, I don't think I would've liked him dying like that. It would've been almost too much. Having him live out the last month or two of his life in peace felt right (aside from that BB bullshit at the end), since he's still going to die shortly. If they have him show up in another game during this "rest" period, however, then I take back my opinion -- that would completely ruin it.

Raiden definitely should have died though, or they shouldn't have had him "almost" die 5 times, at least.
"
I liked Snake's fate, true it may smack of desperation that he wasn't 'killed off' but that would an extremely shitty end to the character regardless in my opinion. I was actually relieved as the game had me genuinely believe on a couple of occasions that he was going to die in that moment.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#207  Edited By Slaker117
@Wrighteous86:
If Snake ever shows up in a game set after MGS4, someone fucked up, that we can agree on.

I think they they had to go one way or the other. Snake dies and the others are more or less fine, or someone else took a significant hit and Snake is allowed to have some peace before he expires. I would have liked both, but I would have accepted either of those. It's probably worth noting that I'm not a Metal Gear fan (not that I have anything against the franchise), and I only played through MSG4 recently because I felt like it was something I should have played.
Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#208  Edited By Hashbrowns

Modern Warfare 2's story isn't perfect, but I've never understood why so many people pile on it with criticism, and then the next minute many of those same people go on to praise Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, or... really anything written in Japan. Apparently, if a game's story is comprised of hours of endless monologues filled with the most vapid philosophy this side of the Matrix sequels, then it's ok, so long as it's from Japan and is "crazy" therefore impervious to criticism.  But take a military thriller too far into implausibility and the gaming world will declare it to be the worst story ever.  Is there even one talented writer in the ENTIRE Japanese video game industry?

As far as military fiction goes, MW2 was very engaging, and isn't nearly as ludicrous as most people make it out to be, certainly not in the context of military techno-thrillers. And it's been a while since I played it, but I still remember that story very clearly.  I can't say that about a single Tom Clancy game.  If you didn't like the story in MW2, that's perfectly understandable.  But if it's trully the worst story in a game you've ever played, you've been extraordinarily lucky.  And have probably played very few games.

@vidiot:
Haven't we had this discussion before?

Of the games I've played recently, my picks for worst writing would have to be Killzone 2 and Crysis: Warhead.  Beyond the constant posturing obscenities, these games have no relatable characters what-so-ever.  Characters barely make decisions, and when they do, they simply serve to make you like them even less.   I mean, is the story in Modern Warfare 2 actually worse than Crysis: Warhead? Does anyone even remember the "story" in Crysis: Warhead?

Again, not trying to say that Modern Ware 2's story is brilliant or a paragon of the medium, but people need to reasses the meaning of "worst" outside of the prevelant group-think.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By wrighteous86
@Slaker117 said:
" @Wrighteous86:If Snake ever shows up in a game set after MGS4, someone fucked up, that we can agree on.I think they they had to go one way or the other. Snake dies and the others are more or less fine, or someone else took a significant hit and Snake is allowed to have some peace before he expires. I would have liked both, but I would have accepted either of those. It's probably worth noting that I'm not a Metal Gear fan (not that I have anything against the franchise), and I only played through MSG4 recently because I felt like it was something I should have played. "
Agreed. I don't like when there are no casualties or sacrifices for the good guys. It was one of the biggest problems I had with Return of the King (having not read the book before the movie came out). They build up the final battle as a suicide run to give Frodo and Sam like an extra hour to deliver the ring, and no one expects to survive. The whole point is that they'll all die fighting to keep the attention on them, and then, when the battle is over, no one's even hurt.
jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#210  Edited By jorbear

When it comes to be the most poorly written, I would have to go with Heavy Rain. I thought that the story itself was passable, but the writing and voice acting really ruined the game.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Aus_azn

Wee BlOps by miles here.

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @TEHMAXXORZ said:
" @nick_verissimo: 
Black Ops has the worst story I have ever tortured myself to play out of all games I own.
It's a bad game in general, zombies and multiplayer offer hardly any redemption. Next time, Treyarch need to do a better damn job.
"
im slowly turning into a COD hater, yet i think the Blops story was pretty solid .. are you guys serious? the whole Reznov twist was outstanding for a Call of Duty game.. "

This pretty much convinced me that the series went down the shitter. The fact that Mason is essentially a complete nutjob doesn't help the game at all. It's even less believable that it tries to write John Wilkes Booth out of history.
AlmostApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By AlmostApollo
@Hashbrowns: There's a difference there. People don't expect loopholes in games that try to seem realistic (story-wise, anyway). Start a game out in a situation that is obviously fantastical and the bar for suspension of disbelief rises sky high. These "crazy" Japanese games all have loopholes, but you can just remember how crazy the game is and realize that there's probably some reason for it to have happened. It's just like movies, put a loophole in your fantasy movie and people aren't going to care nearly as much as if you try to make a movie that seems like it's actually happening.
RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By RobotHamster

Solitaire. 

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Adamsons
@Flaime said:

" Borderlands. The story telling is terrible and nothing about the world interests me. "

This for sure.

Borderlands story isterrible.

In fact i think its a great example of a game being carried by a genre.
Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#215  Edited By Hashbrowns

@AlmostApollo:
I'm not referring to the fantastical elements when criticising Japanese game stories.  My criticism is that the stories themselves, regardless of magic or scifi technology, don't make sense.  Character motivations are nebulous at best, and incomprehensible at worst.

And even in the most fantastical stories, there needs to be some grounding in order to care about anything that happens.  Great fantasy and scifi have purely fictional concepts grounded by relatable, BELIEVABLE characters who struggle with issues we all can relate to.  But so often Japanese game stories are about nothing more than "believe in yourself and your friends".  Is that generic humanist platitude all they have to say?

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By Jay444111

Just beat Nier 5 minutes ago... if ANYONE ever says this game has bad writing or isn't art, I honestly will feel the need to punch that person in the face, My goodness man, AMAZING story. Just thought I should share that. damn, buy it now if you support awesome videogames and story, I freaking cried, I will thouroughly admit this, damn... it should be off limits in this topic, I mean, damn!

Also, I have come up with the worse written videogame of all time. one to beat any other.

Shadow Complex. a videogame that was supposed to be made from orson scott cards stories, I thought it would've been beastly good, what I got was... crap, I literally bought it first day expecting a great story, but NO. they put a sign down saying free cake, but you know what I tasted when I ate that damn cake? ****! that's what! all they did was put sprinkles on it! if shadow complex 2 comes out, I will write a 50 page review on how bad it is. I freaking will. I want my damn money back after I got that piece of crap.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By Slaker117
@Jay444111: If you played Shadow Complex for the story and think the game is crap because of that, you approached the whole thing wrong.
NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By NekuCTR

It's so easy to spot people who hate Deadly Premonition for no reason.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By wrighteous86
@Aus_azn said: 

" Wee BlOps by miles here.

@Ahmad_Metallic said: 

@TEHMAXXORZ said: 
@nick_verissimo: 
Black Ops has the worst story I have ever tortured myself to play out of all games I own.
It's a bad game in general, zombies and multiplayer offer hardly any redemption. Next time, Treyarch need to do a better damn job.
"
im slowly turning into a COD hater, yet i think the Blops story was pretty solid .. are you guys serious? the whole Reznov twist was outstanding for a Call of Duty game.. "
This pretty much convinced me that the series went down the shitter. The fact that Mason is essentially a complete nutjob doesn't help the game at all. It's even less believable that it tries to write John Wilkes Booth out of history. "
I saw that Reznov twist coming from the moment it started coming into play (Level 3 or whatever). I also thought it was completely out-of-sorts with what I thought the Call of Duty franchise was about. That and "the numbers" were really cheesy and unappealing to me. Then again, I liked MW2 so what do I know.    
floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By floodiastus

Halo, the worst piece of shit to come out of american style blockbuster writing.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Jay444111
@Slaker117 said:
"

@Jay444111: If you played Shadow Complex for the story and think the game is crap because of that, you approached the whole thing wrong.

"

Haven't you ever read anything from orson scott card? Here's a link to one of his most famous books http://www.amazon.com/Enders-Game-Ender-Book-1/dp/0812550706/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303086980&sr=8-1

Yep, nearly 3000 five star reviews. I am sorry, but I knew that he could write a damn good tale, and with him writing it I thought it was going to be awesome... little did I know he not only half assed it, he on purpose sought to piss every single one of his fans off in one blow with this videogame. if I ever meet the guy, my fist will meet his face for stealing 15 bucks from me. That is how much I raged at the story of shadow complex. My sheer anger is over 9000 whenever I speak of Shadow Complex, that is how betrayed I was.

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By Butler

I had a problem with Dragon Age: Origins. The pacing of the story was jarring and the I didn't like the plot line one bit. I'm tired of this sword and sorcery cliche that all your enemies have to be animalistic, non-conversational, evil just for evil's sake bad guys. The whole Blight is just boring to me. Every hundred years a bunch of Darkspawn attack the above ground people just for shits. The motive of their attacks every couple hundred years or so still escapes me, other than well it's Tuesday time to rape and pillage. It was just bland.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Vrikk

"  2.How 1 cia agent found in a airport massicer make the russians assume that it was the u.s fault"

I hate massicers.
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#224  Edited By SSully

The worst? The most recent game that i played that had a horrible story was killzone 3. The ending in that game deserves to be nominated for some kind of atrocity award. 

Avatar image for deactivated-60321b0e394b7
deactivated-60321b0e394b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't know if I would consider this the worst written story, but the most recent one I can think of that I've played is Just Cause 2.  That was the first game in a long time where I actually wanted to skip every cutscene that came up.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By Jay444111

@Butler said:

"

I had a problem with Dragon Age: Origins. The pacing of the story was jarring and the I didn't like the plot line one bit. I'm tired of this sword and sorcery cliche that all your enemies have to be animalistic, non-conversational, evil just for evil's sake bad guys. The whole Blight is just boring to me. Every hundred years a bunch of Darkspawn attack the above ground people just for shits. The motive of their attacks every couple hundred years or so still escapes me, other than well it's Tuesday time to rape and pillage. It was just bland.

"

That was pretty much all fixed in dragon age 2 actually, MUCH better plot/storytelling in that than in any movie nowadays, it's that high of quality. But I don't blame them for being cliche for the first game, because they needed a way to establish a new detailed world, it seems like a style with bioware, first game is kinda cliche while the second improves everything and adds some major philosophical questions in them. The whiners will say otherwise and say it is not as epic. well, epic does not equal good, saving the world is overplayed, this is a fact that most old school gamers cannot accept anymore and will rage at the evolution of stories within videogames because of this. (that and dice rolling will one day become extinct in videogames. but I will speak no more of this... for now.)
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Slaker117
@Jay444111: I know who OSC is and read and enjoyed Ender's Game. But that's irrelevant in the case of Shadow Complex. The story was set in a universe he created, but other than that, it barely had anything to do with his work. It was never meant to be story focused. The actually game is great however. If you can't see that just because you didn't like the story, I'm sorry.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By wrighteous86
@Jay444111 said:

" @Slaker117 said:

"

"

Haven't you ever read anything from orson scott card? Here's a link to one of his most famous books http://www.amazon.com/Enders-Game-Ender-Book-1/dp/0812550706/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303086980&sr=8-1

Yep, nearly 3000 five star reviews. I am sorry, but I knew that he could write a damn good tale, and with him writing it I thought it was going to be awesome... little did I know he not only half assed it, he on purpose sought to piss every single one of his fans off in one blow with this videogame. if I ever meet the guy, my fist will meet his face for stealing 15 bucks from me. That is how much I raged at the story of shadow complex. My sheer anger is over 9000 whenever I speak of Shadow Complex, that is how betrayed I was.

"
Yes, everyone knows who Orson Scott Card is. If you don't want people to "pick on you" maybe you shouldn't be so condescending.

The real issue is that Orson Scott Card didn't write Shadow Complex. He wrote Empire and Hidden Empire, and Shadow Complex is based on the universe in that duet (a universe he created in conjunction with Chair). The game's script was written by a comic book writer named Peter David. Therefore, it is ridiculous to hold Shadow Complex to the same standards as Ender's Game, especially considering they are two different mediums.

@Jay444111 said:
"

@Butler said:

"

"

That was pretty much all fixed in dragon age 2 actually, MUCH better plot/storytelling in that than in any movie nowadays, it's that high of quality. But I don't blame them for being cliche for the first game, because they needed a way to establish a new detailed world, it seems like a style with bioware, first game is kinda cliche while the second improves everything and adds some major philosophical questions in them. The whiners will say otherwise and say it is not as epic. well, epic does not equal good, saving the world is overplayed, this is a fact that most old school gamers cannot accept anymore and will rage at the evolution of stories within videogames because of this. (that and dice rolling will one day become extinct in videogames. but I will speak no more of this... for now.) "
The fact that DA2 is "not as epic" is the least of that game's problems. Ridiculous caricatures, deus ex machina, inexplicable character changes, very blatant themes... DA2 has an awful story.
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Jay444111
@floodiastus said:
"

Halo, the worst piece of shit to come out of american style blockbuster writing.

"

Not even close, now, I can't vouche for the 3rd one, for I haven't played it, but it is of much higher quality than movies can even reach anymore. (dude, smurfs movie is coming out... that should clue you in on how much quality is left in the movie industry.) but the first one had a very good way of telling it's little story, while the second one did it in a different way, it still told a pretty original plot actually. reach wasn't bad for a prequal though. better than anything goerge lucas could ever do.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

killzone 3 was absolutely dreadful.  they should seriously just fire the script writers and hire new ones i mean, was Guerrilla seriously satisfied with that story?  im sure they know it was crap.  shouldve just delayed it for the holiday

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#231  Edited By vidiot
@Hashbrowns:
It's because it is terrible. MW2's plot is the gift that keeps on giving, and the more you stop and think about it, the more great moments of ludicrous sequences bubble-up to the fore-front. Recently Kotaku brought up the suggestion that the plot was that bad because of the Infinity-Ward fallout that was happening during development.

It's also, admittedly really easy, and tons of fun to write about. :P
MW2 sits at a 94% on metacritic, and currently sold 20 bagillion copies or something. I don't agree on the concept that sales, and a dysfunctional critic web-site is some "base-line" for an absolute opinion: But if that's what the industry is going to advertise as their meter to gauge "success", then MW2 passes with flying colors.
I think having a very critical eye to it's shortcomings is very healthy, a necessary component to ground something.

Apparently, if a game's story is comprised of hours of endless monologues filled with the most vapid philosophy this side of the Matrix sequels, then it's ok, so long as it's from Japan and is "crazy" therefore impervious to criticism.  But take a military thriller too far into implausibility and the gaming world will declare it to be the worst story ever.  Is there even one talented writer in the ENTIRE Japanese video game industry?

Don't get me started with the loads of fun that is Eternal Sonata, you wanna see dreadful: Here you go.

At least Japanese games are self-aware.
They might sometimes have vapid plot-lines and paper-thin characters, but at least they have the sense that they know what they're doing. MW2 walks around with this heavy-handed sense of seriousness, that's really difficult to accept outside of shooting things. It's like the worst qualities of MGS, without the occasional sense and self-awareness.

Haven't we had this discussion before?

:P
We have done this before haven't we? I remember really enjoying debating you over this. Does that mean we both win something? Do we get money? I need money.
Or should we just copy-and-paste everything back at each other again, seeing how our opinions have not deterred at all? If we continue and debate again, does this mean this thread will eat itself?
I don't know what to do now. 
YAY! INTERNET!
TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By TheBlackPigeon

Allow me to whip out my dick of an opinion and slap you in the face with it. (Now there's a mental image for you)

Silent Hill 3 is one that stands out for me. Honestly, it isn't so much the story itself as how the dialog was written. A lot of it was just groan inducing.

Not to mention the part where SPOILER Claudia tries to birth a 'god' by deep throating the fetus.SPOILER

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Jay444111

@Wrighteous86: 
 '

oh, but still, I do blame orson scott card and that RETCOMic book author as well. I am sorry, but anyone willing to attach any of his ideas to... that abomonation deserves a good punch in the face. espically considering it was advertised that orson wrote the damn thing.

Also, what caricatures? You mean and elf outcast and a storytelling dwarf? Do you even know what a good character is? They can be cliched up the ass, but it is on how well they are written is what counts. even a novice writer knows this.

Dues ex machinas? umm... WTF are you even talking about? do you mean certian charactors coming back to life from the first game or something? if so, then you do realize they only had SOME choices matter, not all of them from DG1/awakening right? Also for the fact that most of the dragon age players kept everyone alive shows you that they wanted to keep these charactors in the linear story of dragon age series. Hell, you could kill most of them off in dragon age but it doesn't mean everyone did. I didn't along with a huge majority thus it is canon. goes to show only whiners complain about dragon age 2.

Charactor changes, as a english major(so called) this is frankly one of the dumber things you have said, PEOPLE CHANGE! ESPICALLY WHEN POSSESSED! even a braindead monkey can figure that one out.

Also the themes were apparent, but even then they were not pushed in your face. hell, you could even runaway from the problems entirely if you wanted.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#234  Edited By crusader8463

Tetris has the worst story ever! 

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By Slaker117
@Jay444111: Just curious, have you read the Empire books? In my mind OSC hasn't meant much after them. I guess that's not totally fair as I never finished one, but the fact that I didn't want to should mean something. Excepting greatness out of a video game tie-in is unrealistic, and really, the game was still good in spite of the totally forgettable plot.
Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By Grillbar
@Abyssfull said:
" Pong.. I mean, where's the character development, the love interest, THE DRAMA?! "
you sir are an idiot for saying that 
xant you see that the to paddels are the incarnation of good and evil only devided by the thin line. The ball is life it selv and it gets passed forth and back between the to decisions and the reason its so small is to symbolize the insignificant of life it self.
all done in black and white to give it that noire look, again to symbolize the bleak world we live in
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By wrighteous86
@Jay444111: Hey, maybe you should stop being a condescending asshole when you have no idea what you're talking about.

The whole game is a caricature of the first. 
car·i·ca·ture /ˈkarikəCHər/ Noun
1. A picture, description, or imitation of a person or thing in which certain characteristics are exaggerated to create a comic or grotesque effect.
2. The art or style of such exaggerated representation.

Deus ex machina: Like the evil idol being the cause of all the trouble in the town and turning the interesting villain Meredith into a comic book supervillain that attacks you with giant statues. It was a cop out from having actual character depth and progression.

Character changes, like Orsino being steadfast in his defense of mage rights and remaining calm and collected in the face of adversity throughout the game, and then resorting to blood magic in desperation in the middle of a battle that you're already winning.
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By TheFreeMan
@Slaker117 said:
" @Jay444111: Just curious, have you read the Empire books? In my mind OSC hasn't meant much after them. I guess that's not totally fair as I never finished one, but the fact that I didn't want to should mean something. Excepting greatness out of a video game tie-in is unrealistic, and really, the game was still good in spite of the totally forgettable plot. "
I've read both of the Empire books, which were the first OSC novels I read after Ender's Game. Yeah, it was a pretty harsh dropoff.
Wrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Wrect

Far Cry 2.  That "story" was a joke.
CanuckEh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 239

#240  Edited By CanuckEh
@chstupid said:
" Bionic Commando Fucking wife arm "
I've never played that game...but hearing about that twist is enough of a convincing argument for me.

I've such vague memories of games with bad plots. I remember really hating The World Ends With You and Killzone 2. Final Fantasy 13 was also some kind of special mess. But I feel like the worst plot in a game is probably something none of us ever played,  some poorly-reviewed game we all passed on.
fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#241  Edited By fox01313

Anything lately with Super Mario just because the people seem so surprised when Bowser attacks every time, they should know by now. Jurassic the Hunted, Darkest of Days, Haze, newest Bionic Commando with the wife arm.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Jay444111
@Wrighteous86 said:
"

@Jay444111: Hey, maybe you should stop being a condescending asshole when you have no idea what you're talking about.

car·i·ca·ture /ˈkarikəCHər/ Noun  1. A picture, description, or imitation of a person or thing in which certain characteristics are exaggerated to create a comic or grotesque effect. 2. The art or style of such exaggerated representation.     Deus ex machina: Like the evil idol being the cause of all the trouble in the town and turning the interesting villain Meredith into a comic book supervillain that attacks you with giant statues. It was a cop out from having actual character depth and progression. Character changes, like Orsino being steadfast in his defense of mage rights and remaining calm and collected in the face of adversity throughout the game, and then resorting to blood magic in desperation in the middle of a battle that you're already winning.

"

FINALLY! I had to refresh this damn site 20 times so it would finally let me respond! Now then. sorry for the delay.

(SPOILERS AHOY!)

First off, I didn't know that, sorry about that one.

Second, it still wasn't a deus ex machina, mainly because it was introduced right in the end of act 1 and mentioned that the brother sold it to a white haired woman, so they had planned it to do that from the very start. also the fact remains that it basically can turn anyone and anything into a God level mage. (basically reawakening/rekindling links to the fade.) she overused it, becoming mad with power and basically disintagrated due to its power overpowering her. Not a deus ex machina since they basically gave you all the tools to figure out who had gotten it, it just takes someone to figure out who that is. it wasn't you or me that is a fact I will admit.

Third, Orsino is an ass. if you play as a mage, guess what happens when you side with the templars...(spoilers ahoy!)

Orsino let the bloodmage kill your mother. he is willing to do anything to get his way, he is a jackass acting like a good guy. the man is just as horrid as Meredith. plus, if you had 1/5 of the people the templars did and had no way of stopping them, he was willing to sacrifice himself and the bodies of his dead mages to try and take out as many templars as he could, this is basically a suicide run. (but with insanity and becoming a monster too.) not a bright one, but one just the same. besides you were NOT winning that fight, you were basically just defending a small portion of the inner base. didn't you notice all the dead bodies everywhere?

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By wrighteous86
@Jay444111 said:
" @Wrighteous86 said:
"

car·i·ca·ture /ˈkarikəCHər/ Noun  1. A picture, description, or imitation of a person or thing in which certain characteristics are exaggerated to create a comic or grotesque effect. 2. The art or style of such exaggerated representation.     Deus ex machina: Like the evil idol being the cause of all the trouble in the town and turning the interesting villain Meredith into a comic book supervillain that attacks you with giant statues. It was a cop out from having actual character depth and progression. Character changes, like Orsino being steadfast in his defense of mage rights and remaining calm and collected in the face of adversity throughout the game, and then resorting to blood magic in desperation in the middle of a battle that you're already winning.

"

FINALLY! I had to refresh this damn site 20 times so it would finally let me respond! Now then. sorry for the delay.

(SPOILERS AHOY!)

First off, I didn't know that, sorry about that one.

Second, it still wasn't a deus ex machina, mainly because it was introduced right in the end of act 1 and mentioned that the brother sold it to a white haired woman, so they had planned it to do that from the very start. also the fact remains that it basically can turn anyone and anything into a God level mage. (basically reawakening/rekindling links to the fade.) she overused it, becoming mad with power and basically disintagrated due to its power overpowering her. Not a deus ex machina since they basically gave you all the tools to figure out who had gotten it, it just takes someone to figure out who that is. it wasn't you or me that is a fact I will admit.

Third, Orsino is an ass. if you play as a mage, guess what happens when you side with the templars...(spoilers ahoy!)

Orsino let the bloodmage kill your mother. he is willing to do anything to get his way, he is a jackass acting like a good guy. the man is just as horrid as Meredith. plus, if you had 1/5 of the people the templars did and had no way of stopping them, he was willing to sacrifice himself and the bodies of his dead mages to try and take out as many templars as he could, this is basically a suicide run. (but with insanity and becoming a monster too.) not a bright one, but one just the same. besides you were NOT winning that fight, you were basically just defending a small portion of the inner base. didn't you notice all the dead bodies everywhere?

"
Fine, in regards to Meredith it wasn't a deus ex machina; it was a plot contrivance. Rather than have the climax come about on the strength of its characters and the muddled nature of its central theme, they decided to make it all the fault of a lyrium idol.

Orsino is an ass, but resorting to blood magic and becoming an abomination was out of character for him, in my opinion, or at the very least, he jumped the gun too readily on that decision. In terms of character changes, I guess Fenris is too easily swayed to your side at the end... "I'm going to stop these mages no matter what!" "Dude, I thought you hated slavery?" "Sorry boutcha, Templars... I'm going to fight for the mages now." I knew the character change complaint was a bit weak even when I first made it, but they did completely change Anders, and for the worse. Sure, they made up a reason for it, but they ruined his character along with Justice, imo.

This is also the most reasoned and intelligent post I've seen you make, which only makes me think your other posts were attempts at trolling. Write like this more often and you may just find a place here.
neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By neozeke
@Jay444111: Please stop posting, I can feel the cancer growing.
warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#245  Edited By warxsnake

Borderlands. Huge letdown for me thinking it would have a super deep storyline based on the trailers. 

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By Jay444111

@Wrighteous86:

Well, basically the idol is more of a "One ring" sorta deal, where being around can cause some aggression and kinda a addictive personallity, while once you use it, it causes memory erasing/insanity sort of effect that the red lyrium (not the idol really, any red lyrium does that to you.) can do to you. also a small piece of it can make ghosts and demons appear from anywhere with conflict just shows how powerful the damn thing is.

She may have been slightly influenced, but she was still had reasoning enough until she finally used the idol on the mages(aka you)

its a chekhovs gun sort of deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov's_gun

Very well done really.

Also, would you become a monster if it meant it would stop your underlings from dying? I see it that he thought there would be too much bloodshed when it came down to it and decided to end it the best way he(orsino) could. I don't really blame the guy, mainly for the fact that templar outnumbered his own and have some magic resistence due to lyrium. (dragon age 1 says this.) so blood magic is practically one of the only ways to actually bypass the magic resistences of a templar and actually get a foothold against them.

I agree with fenris though, no one likes him, he is the zevran of this game really. but still somehow better than him imo.

Although, people do change, and sometimes it is not for the better. Anders was actually pretty much himself from awakening for the first years, then he became more insane/depressed due to justice inside of him. you can actually notice this if you watched all the cutscenes with him in it. I thought it was really well done imo.