What is the stupidest plot twist you have seen in a game?

• 114 results
Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

Star Ocean 3: Turns out that the the whole series took place in a computer simulation.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sim City 2013: Turns out that the the whole series took place in a computer simulation.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Heavy Rain's killer reveal.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Outlast: The ghost wasn't a ghost at all. It was the consciousness of a mental patient inhabiting a cloud of Nazi nanomachines.

I fucking wish I was kidding about that.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@bbalpert said:

Outlast: The ghost wasn't a ghost at all. It was the consciousness of a mental patient inhabiting a cloud of Nazi nanomachines.

I fucking wish I was kidding about that.

So basically Metal Gear?

pkmango7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pkmango7

I came in here to say Star Ocean 3 and lo and behold. Fucking Star Ocean 3, man.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#7 sgtsphynx  Moderator
SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bionic Commando: wife arm

Meaning... your dead wife has somehow been made to be your bionic arm.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I wanted to come up with something more creative...but what the hell, I'll post an obvious one.

Final Fantasy X: Everyone and everything from "old" Zanarkand, including Tidus and Auron, are just manifestations of a dreaming race of spirits or some such nonsense.

Any game where the twist is "it was all a dream" sucks complete ass.

Also, there are too many damn games that are far too proud of their completely obvious twists that you see coming a mile away. These aren't often stupider than other games' twists, but they have a special rage-filled place in my heart.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Indigo Prophecy: I cant even remember, I just remember it being stupid and ruining the entire game. Look it up. Also this shouldn't even be spoiler text..

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By BisonHero

In Advent Rising, humanity makes first contact with aliens, and you learn that humanity is like, the ancient chosen race according to these aliens and humanity was thought long extinct. One alien race is alright, one race is a bunch of dicks and is basically The Covenant. Dick aliens blow up the human planet (not explicitly Earth?), killing your brother/fiancée who gets left behind (it's a player choice, doesn't matter, whichever one you save dies randomly later in the story anyways). Your guy escapes with the good aliens, you develop The Force.

FAST FORWARD TO END OF GAME. After much hardship, you make it to a hearing of the Galactic Senate or some shit. You're there to be like "Yo dawg, this one race blew up most of the humans in existence, pretty recently, which is uncool, maybe sanction them."

A) everybody is completely unphased by your presence, despite the fact that a living human should be like Space Jesus and the dick aliens were expressly trying to exterminate the humans because it would challenge their power or something if humans were to start involving themselves in space politics, so the game can't even keep it's story straight of how important humans are

B) senator repping the dick aliens throws shade on all of your claims, even though his race is obviously evil, yet the senate oddly seems to be taking his side

C) NONE OF THAT SHIT MATTERS because suddenly some crazy alien angel of wrath with laser beams and shit appears, and OH SHIT, the angel thing is whoever you left behind at the beginning of the game (brother/fiancée, it's basically their head on this weird battle angel thing). At no other point do you have reason to believe that fake Covenant has been abducting humans and making them into super angels. Cue final boss fight.

D) after boss fight, a portal opens, teleporting you to a snow planet you've never seen before, in the middle of a blizzard. You collapse, then an alien of a race you've never seen before, wearing a tattered cloak, walks up and says something like "I have much to tell you", and then it carries you off into the blizzard. END OF GAME, CREDITS.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Pretty much when every game does a plot twist it ends up being the worst thing ever.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I've never played it, but that Star Ocean 3 twist is what comes up whenever one of these threads comes up.

But lemme tell you all about The Bureau. I don't remember all of it, but I do seem to remember the government covering up an entire apocalyptic alien invasion and me finding that incredulous.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

MGS4. Just... the whole game.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Star Fox Adventures: When you're finally about to fight General Scales and Andross appears out of nowhere, murders Scales before you have a chance, and suddenly reveals he's behind everything.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fahrenheit a.k.a. Indigo Prophecy - every new plot element introduced in the last third of the game was some kind of completely unnecessary deus ex machina twist involving ever new supernatural phenomena. Even one of them would be enough to ruin the story and leave a bad taste. Half a dozen of them changed a suspensful thriller into mental vomit of an inept 12-year old.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Serious question, I've never played the MGS series, but found watching the story of MGS2&3 (on GB) play out groan inducing the entire time. Is MGS4 even worse then those?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@qrdl: It was the AI on the internet! Also the Mayans! Also the Illuminati or something!

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sgtsphynx: Honestly, I like that explanation better than settling with the idea that he was actually possessed by Liquid. Like naw, he was just doing it to fuck with us. That's definitely a very Ocelot thing to do any ways.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@yummylee: Serious question, I've never played the MGS series, but found watching the story of MGS2&3 (on GB) play out groan inducing the entire time. Is MGS4 even worse then those?

Yes. And this is coming from someone who legitimately enjoys MGS3's story. Though MGS4 takes it to such extremes that you may be able to get some ironic enjoyment from just how outrageously stupid it is.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sgtsphynx  Moderator

@kasaioni: Yeah, in one sense you are right, but the "possession" in and of itself is just so fucking stupid.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BisonHero

@tennmuerti: I mean, MGS2 is already so silly that you have to enjoy it on an ironic level, because the ending is objectively terrible and apropos of nothing. MGS4 is that feeling, times like five.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kasaioni

@sgtsphynx: Well blame MGS2 for that then. I believe that People who think that MGS4 is "outrageously stupid" (in comparison to the other games in the series) have a skewed perception of what the series actually is. Like come on.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sgtsphynx  Moderator
Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Tennmuerti

@bisonhero: Shtaaaaap, you're getting me all excited now!

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@qrdl said:

Fahrenheit a.k.a. Indigo Prophecy - every new plot element introduced in the last third of the game was some kind of completely unnecessary deus ex machina twist involving ever new supernatural phenomena. Even one of them would be enough to ruin the story and leave a bad taste. Half a dozen of them changed a suspensful thriller into mental vomit of an inept 12-year old.

@qrdl: It was the AI on the internet! Also the Mayans! Also the Illuminati or something!

It sucked because up until that last 2 hours it was a pretty dope game with some really tense moments, it just jumps the shark So hard. It's like they couldn't decide which twist was better so they put in all of their ideas and squeezed it into the game in the most haphazard way, Future Robits! Aztecs/Mayans! Your a ghooooooost! Christ . . .

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Maybe it's because Mass Effect is one of the few franchises whose story beats I remember at all, but pretty much all the twists rubbed me the wrong way. Spoilers, obviously

Mass Effect 1: Twist - game is actually about an evil race of universe eating robots. sigh.

Mass Effect 2: Twist - giant baby made of human goo. sigh.

Mass Effect 3: Twist - humans & robots fuse as one. sigh.

Love the hell out of all these games, but, yeah. Not these moments so much.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, it's pretty tough to choose between Indigo Prophecy and MGS4. I think Indigo Prophecy is actually more of a bullshit twist that MGS, if only because MGS usually maintains a high level of bullshit, and MGS2 had set a precedent. Indigo Prophecy lures you in with it's decent opening, and sucker punches you with a big ol' ball of stupid.

So Indigo Prophecy.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Tennmuerti

@geraltitude: I'm with you on those last 2. Even remember making some heated posts on the subject of how dumb that end of 2 was. And well 3 is kind of legendary in it's own right heh.

But I felt like in 1 you were kind of working towards unraveling that answer in the first place, so it wasn't much of a twist, just a revelation that's been worked up to. That's how I felt about it at the time anyway.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Plus aliens and the whole titular nonsensical prophecy prophesied by I don't even remember who - race of underground-dwelling windmill-people or something. It's the one story which would be improved by the final revelation that it all had been a dream... a dream of the first ape intelligent enough to consume human popculture, but not even remotely intelligent enough to judge its value.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

MGS4 is the greatest thing to happen to video games since the invention of the controller. Those of you who haven't played it and are waiting for MGScanlon, lwr me tell ya, you're in for a treat.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fahrenheit (Europe got the better title) wins out because that first hour is the strongest any game has any right to have. The mystery and intrigue you get from that opening bombardment should've been all that game needed to sustain itself. But you screwed up, Cage! You had to give the guy reasons! You had to try and explain away every little thing with some grand universal nonsense when it should just be about a murder in a bathroom!

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ending for Deus Ex has a man wanting to merge with an AI that already merged with another AI to rule all nanotechnology and be a god. That's MGS levels of dumb.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@tennmuerti: Yeah you're right, it is more a revelation to be fair to the game. I think it felt like a twist to me because I really wanted that game to be a Sci Fi Cop Story about hunting down Saren (man he was a great character) but then you discover what's really going on and the scale increased 100 fold.

Zeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Borderlands the vault is actually a giant alien tentacle monster... and a terrible boss fight.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Tennmuerti
Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rejizzle

The Uncharted series. In the first game it turns out El Dorado is a statue that turns people into zombies for some reason. Nazis tried to use the statue for their own ends, but were then turned into zombies. The final boss who is some mercenary guy who looks like evil Nathan Drake wants the statue, and then you beat him up. Granted, it's been several years since I played it, and I only had a tenuous grasp on the story to begin with, but it's pretty dumb.

Uncharted 2 isn't much better, what with the blue guys, and the life tree, and the girl who had way too many face-heel/heel-face turns.

Games were pretty fun though.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Very easily Indigo Prophecy and there are multiple awful twists in it!

@tennmuerti said:

@geraltitude: Yeah ... Saren was pretty cool. I miss him.

Part of why ME 1 is by far the best to me. The series missed a strong villain after him.
@turambar said:

The ending for Deus Ex has a man wanting to merge with an AI that already merged with another AI to rule all nanotechnology and be a god. That's MGS levels of dumb.

I'm not sure why this is dumb. It just basically is embracing the ideas of control the game is exploring and saying it's okay if I'm the one calling the shots which is pretty cool (and dark, to me). I love all the endings to that game.
ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a lot of MGS plot points that would apply, but they seem to have all been mentioned already. I will say, though, that dumb plot twists only offend me if I'm already invested. I bet there are plenty of dumb twists that just float harmlessly over my head.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BananasFoster

Any game where "The killer/badguy is YOU"

So cliche and so "jr high cool". It's right up there with "how do I know the color yellow I SEE is the same color yellow YOU see?!?"

Oh you're SO deep...

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bananasfoster: In general would I agree, but there's always an exception to the rule, one that immediately comes to mind when it comes to games Planescape: Torment .

IceNDice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By IceNDice

Mirrors Edge - The blonde bitch is the masked assassin all along! Woop dee fuckin doo. With a game in which the story-line barely even matters I just didn't get this... the friend betrayal bit is been overdone to shreds and with a barely non-existent storyline, I just wanted to slap EA. I do love this game though, just that plot twist frustrates me.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icendice said:

Mirrors Edge - The blonde bitch is the masked assassin all along! Woop dee fuckin doo. With a game in which the story-line barely even matters I just didn't get this... the friend betrayal bit is been overdone to shreds and with a barely non-existent storyline, I just wanted to slap EA. I do love this game though, just that plot twist frustrates me.

Totally. The worst part is when the particular cliche you mention takes place in a game that has, like 3 characters to begin with.

IceNDice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bananasfoster: Couldn't agree with you more, I hope the new Mirror's Edge as a better storyline with more characters and non-cliché twists.

bhurnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 11

I immediately thought of Inversion™, but its plot twist(s) weren't that stupid, they just had really terrible reveals and I already disliked the game when I reached them.

Instead, as much as I liked the actual game, I'd have to say the twist near the end of Enslaved was the worst I've encountered in the last few years. The bad guy is someone you've not had anything to do with, and is rescuing/enslaving people so he can put them into a matrix of the good old days where they're happy, except for the ones that got murdered by the robots instead, and... something like that, it just meant fighting more robots and then a big laser scorpion thing which was alright I guess

@spaceinsomniac: Wow, that's just ridiculous. I almost want to play the game just to find out how bad it is without spoiling myself further.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sonic '06

It exists

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I love me some Metal Gear, nanomachines explaining pretty much everything stinks, kind of a cop out. At least they still have some mystery with characters and events.

Mass Effect 3 - Pick an ending, any ending, what you did the previous 100 hours doesn't mean shit

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bocam

Shadow Hearts 2's twist beats every single game mentioned so far: The main heroine of the game decides to go back in time and become the mother of the main character as that's the only way she'll get him to love her as he already has a love interest.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icendice said:

Totally. The worst part is when the particular cliche you mention takes place in a game that has, like 3 characters to begin with.

Yessssss, absolutely, holy shit that was garbage, hmmmm the bad guy has a female body? And there is only one other female character in the game besides the sister? WELL GOLLY JEE, I WONDER WHO THE BAD GUY IS, what's that? It's literally the other female in the game? Wooooooooooow what a surprise, you sure got me Mirrors Edge.
Stupid crap.