What will be Giant Bomb's GOTY 2016?

madladunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What will be Giant Bomb's GOTY 2016? (2423 votes)

Doom 63%
The Witness 2%
Overwatch 6%
Hitman 19%
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided 0%
Uncharted 4 1%
Stardew Valley 0%
Devil Daggers 0%
Superhot 0%
Overcooked 0%
Civ 6 0%
Titanfall 2 3%
The Last Guardian 0%
Final Fantasy 15 1%
Dishonored 2 0%
Something else 2%

What do you think the GB staff will collectively decide on as their GOTY in the end of year podcasts?

I've made the list of candidates based on what the staff have been talking about most positively this year, leaving out anything that clearly won't be in contention, e.g. Dark Souls 3. It's always struck me that the end decision is not as much democratic as it is driven by one or two staff who feel passionately about one game in particular. That's cool by me though; how do you think things will swing this year?

I've added some future releases to the mix for increased spice.

My vote....I think (unless one of the as-yet unreleased games is a masterpiece) it will be a three-way battle between Overwatch, The Witness and Doom. I think....Doom...will win.

• 
hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Most likely DOOM, unless something truly great comes out before the end of the year. The last few GotY had ended with arguments between camp Jeff and camp Brad, so to have one game this year where both might agree on is almost a foregone conclusion.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Such a weak list. I don't think I've played a single video game all year.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

They'll go Doom #1 and Overwatch #2

My personal list is The Witness #1 and Obduction #2

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's been some pretty good games, but I think DOOM will probably get top spot. It really is just a very, very good game all around.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Picross 3D 2, motherfuckers!

But yeah, probably Doom.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

We are all DOOMED this year.

... and that's a good thing, imo.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By MocBucket62

Oh boy here we go. DOOM has now taken the same role that Bayonetta 2 and MGSV received in the past two years where its the one game that the community is 100% sure it will win the award. Remember that in 2014 and 2015 respectively, Bayonetta 2 and MGSV both finished second to Shadow of Mordor and Super Mario Maker. Maybe DOOM still ends up winning, or maybe it won't. Its too early to tell with so many other games coming out like Civ 6, Titanfall 2, Last Guardian, Mafia 3, Dishonored 2, SP: The Fractured But Whole, and many more.

On topic, I voted for Hitman. Though I'll probably be wrong.

Avatar image for kommradeobvious
KommradeObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Stardew Valley will be this years Mario Maker for Dan.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rahf: They did when it came out. But I feel like anytime The Witness has come up recently, which I think has only been out West, its been for jokes about the videos in it and not liking the "ending." Also, do Vinny and Alex care about it at all? I can't remember them talking about it.

Could be my own biases, but I got the sense its fallen out of favor in the past several months. Really giving me a Witcher 3 vibe.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What makes this extra uncertain is the new hire. Who knows what games they like.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I should probably try out DOOM properly before the end of the year to see what all the fuss is about. I've heard the demo doesn't really do the game justice.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Doom is as close to a lock as it gets.

The real questions to me are

• what will be Number 2 & 3?
  • Will a Souls game finally make the top 10?

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By BallsLeon

@slag: As far as Souls go, I doubt it! Who has actually finished that game? Jason is maybe the biggest proponent, but admitted to falling off himself.

Edit: Maybe DLC will reKINDLE the flame.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@ballsleon: I very much doubt it too, but I figure since Bloodborne semi-won over Jeff and Austin/Brad/Vinny/Jason all digging the series this is the best chance it's ever had.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I truly hated every single second spent playing DOOM until I returned it. That being said, its very clearly the staff's GOTY up to September

Xdeser2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DOOM, lets be honest here.

I wont agree with it, but I'll totally understand their choice, DOOM is pretty great.

Obeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless something really great comes out between now and December, my gut tells me the top three will likely end up being (going from 1st to 3rd) Doom, Overwatch, and Hitman since it seems like those were the three games the guys couldn't (and still kinda can't in some ways) stop gushing about when those were brand new.

Also, the only game I've played on this list is Stardew Valley after hearing Dan's praise of it. As good as that game is, I highly doubt it will be a very strong contender going up against a number of the other games listed since I don't think anyone aside from Dan has played it. Hopefully Dan will fight for it, but I have a gut feeling that fight won't last long.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

My guess would be either The Witness or Doom.

I don't know if Doom's multiplayer offerings are enough to pull it down out of the top spot. Overwatch got some love but people like Jeff fell of of it so damn hard. Hitman would be really cool to be a top choice. I hope Dan can fight hard enough to get Stardew Valley high up the list. Alex will be the only one playing Civ VI. Depends on how good Titanfall 2 is.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshth said:

It will be DOOM, and I will be [REDACTED] HAPPY.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh boy here we go. DOOM has now taken the same role that Bayonetta 2 and MGSV received the past two years where its the one game that the community is 100% sure it will win the award. Remember that in 2014 and 2015 respectively, Bayonetta 2 and MGSV both finished second to Shadow of Mordor and Super Mario Maker. Maybe DOOM still ends up winning or maybe it won't. Its too early to tell with so many other games coming out like Civ 6, Titanfall 2, Last Guardian, Mafia 3, Dishonored 2, SP: The Fractured But Whole, and many more.

On topic, I voted for Hitman. Though I'll probably be wrong.

Wrong or not, its a good choice. Even though i really loved every minute of DOOM, i have spent way more time in Hitman and i have had a really good time putting fools to (deep)sleep.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a sneaking suspicion that Hitman could take Game of the Year. The team still play it and the constant updates keeps it in people's minds. Doom seems to have not had the updates to keep the team coming back and it being an early in the year release could possibly hinder it at GOTY maybe?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#72  Edited By csl316

Doom, because everyone loves it. The only knock might be that they didn't care about the (pretty fun) multiplayer.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

I bet it'll be DOOM.

Aside from Hitman, that's the only recent game anyone on staff has talked about playing again... nearly 6 months later. Jeff & Brad are more interested in replaying DOOM's single-player campaign than they are playing Overwatch multiplayer. That's some staying power.

My guess for Top 3:

1. DOOM
  2. Hitman
  3. Overwatch
Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Rahf

@fezrock: This is precisely why coming out earlier in the year hurts a game's chances. There's too much time to forget the good sessions you had. Jeff and Brad were pouring praise on that game, for a week or two.

Matt Stone and Trey Parker mentioned something which had a profound impact on me and the way I view games I played. They had mentioned coming up with a joke or storyline, then discussing it for a few days until dropping it. A couple of weeks later someone would bring that idea up again, and some members of the writing staff would dismiss it out of hand as boring and played out. But the trick for them was to remember how they felt at the start; how funny it was, at least when they first encountered it. I have the same look on video games, where something might feel stale and unbearable 6 months later, but was an absolute gem when first played.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

The wrong choice , but I will still love them(not Dan) .

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

It's gonna be DOOM. Anyone else thinking otherwise is delusional or completely oblivious.

I don't see FFXV, The Last Guardian, Civ 6, Titanfall 2, or Dishonored 2 to catch on big with more than one member of the staff.

If Jeff or Brad had stuck with Overwatch past the initial week or two (and Austin hadn't left), it would have a good chance. It's probably going to be Dan, Jason, and Alex's GOTY. But the JeffxBrad combo is too much, and DOOM has that feel-good, surprise hit of the year story behind it. Everybody else on the staff seems to have played it and enjoyed it greatly too so no one will outright deny its GOTY worthiness.

The Witness also has the support of Jeff and Brad that it's a lock for top 10, but it didn't get as much love from the rest of the crew for it to contend for the top spot.

Predix for top 3:

3. Hitman

2. Overwatch

1. DOOM

megabattimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given that nobody's playing it outside the office, I definitely don't see Hitman winning it or being top three.

Doom's in the box seat but I wonder what game someone's gonna get the podium out for. They all seem to be on the same page for everything at the moment.

madladunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By madladunit

I know some people have mentioned in here that they think it has been a weak year, but for me it's been a great year. The Witness and DO(OOOO)OM are two of my favourite games for years and I've enjoyed Overwatch and Hitman immensely.

I haven't even touched XCOM2 or Dark Souls 3 yet and I'm a fan of the seriessss.

Plus, there was that Metroid game. And No Man's Ky, people loved that.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game they've all pretty much agree is awesome so far is Doom.I could see some arguments for overwatch but Brad and Jeff would probably fight against it so that would never win.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fairly certain it will be Monster Hunter. The crew can't get enough of it.

DevvyBoyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should go to the realest game ever made, Devil Daggers, but it will go to DOOM. I bet Devil Daggers will end up somewhere though. Probably best short time game, and/or best style.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DOOM is the clear front runner at the moment, but let's not underestimate The Witness and Overwatch.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No need to even say it, the poll has spoken. I think Doom has the best chance of anything on that list anyway.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's not my choice but I'd be very surprised if Giant Bomb GotY 2016 was anything other than DOOM.

shinofkod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Haven't got to play Doom myself yet, but the fact it seems a shoe-in for GotY at this point would indicate this is a really weak year right? I mean a shooter winning GotY solely for its single player campaign? That cannot be a good sign as far as quality of competition right?

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't agree, but it will be DOOM.

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DOOM is the obvious choice. Mine is The Witness, I absolutely love The Witness, I'm sure Brad and Jeff will both gush about The Witness, but sadly noone else on staff seems that enthused with it.

DOOM is a helluva fine choice though, what a delightful surprise and kickass game.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised the Witness isn't getting more love. It came out early this year, but it seemed to have a pretty profound impact on Jeff and Brad both, and if those two agree on something who's going to stand in their way other than MAYBE Vinny. Note I still think DOOM gets 1st but I think Witness is a strong contender for top 3.

TR3N10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see Inside as an option and everyone in the office has had a lot of praise for it. It'll probably leave the discussion around the same time as Witness as puzzle games like it and witness are rarely if ever GOTY, but it will be in the conversation. I know Brad will bring it up and probably Dan. One of those is probably in a "The Fall" type position to win Best Story.

fetterdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I'll say DOOM, with Hitman and surprise underdog ABZU rounding out the top 3.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

DOOM might have a generic multiplayer, but the single player is just outstanding.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@joshth: What do you want it to be?

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

No Man's Sky

not.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheetoman: Honestly I don't have a huge horse in this race. Unlike 2015, this year has been kind of disappointing for me personally. DOOM is just not at all my cup of tea, and I think almost any of the other games winning on this list would be way more exciting to me. I could especially be down for some kind of Hitman Rope-a-dope.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Hah, my immediate thought was DOOM. Seems everyone else thinks so too. If it's that obvious there's probably a good chance for it being in the one or two spot later this year.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yeah since I haven't played it yet I didn't notice Inside missing from the poll. That actually has a decent shot of being in the top 3 unlike over half of the games on the poll. I just don't think it really wowed anyone else but Brad for it to actually contend for the site GOTY.

Might bump Hitman off the 3rd spot though!

Also, I remember Dan really not liking The Witness. Alex barely touched it. It certainly doesn't have the sitewide appeal that DOOM and Overwatch has.

I think if Austin had stayed (or they legit get his opinion for the big GOTY debate and seriously consider it), Overwatch would have more support to maybe potentially swing things in its favor. Dan, Jason, Alex, Vinny, and Austin all together would be enough to make it a fair fight against the authority Jeff and Brad wield!

also, i fucking love overwatch, have alreadh spent 200+ hours on it, plan to play it forever

also also, playing through DOOM now and it's fucking fantastic too

yeah 2016 has been awesome for games

John_Wiswell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By John_Wiswell

Several strong contenders this year. Hitman has already turned into a feature of the site, the staff on both coasts still raves about DOOM, and you can hear how many people played Overwatch for so freaking long. I'm sure it'll be one of those three, but it'll depend how the room breaks, and particularly if Jeff deadweights something.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As for the games they've played so far, I'd say Doom (definitely wouldn't be mine, but that seems to be theirs).