• 106 results
Avatar image for jdizzlefoshizzle
jdizzlefoshizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which game genre do you most want to have a revival (474 votes)

Character Action Games 10%
3D fighting games 2%
3D platformers 14%
Arcade-y (non simulation) sports games 10%
Peripheral-based rhythm games 1%
Turn based RPGs 21%
skateboarding/snowboarding/inline skating etc (SSX, Tony Hawk, Jet set) 12%
Schmups 2%
All right, but where's my new Burnout game? 15%
Other 14%

Just played the new Team Ninja demo and, as much as I kinda like bloodborne/souls games, I've been feeling kind of bummed that the few developers making good beat em ups/character action games seem to feel compelled to make souls clones (ska studios, team ninja for example). I mean, platinum games is great, but I still wish I had more Devil May Cry style action in my life. With that in mind, what genre of game do you wish had a bit of a resurgence, a la the great 2D fighting game revival of the late 2000s.

• 
BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Never thought I'd be saying this, but WWII shooters.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

@devil240z: big fan of A. Modelista. Rented it many times, just a shame it wasn't that fun. Where is that cel-shaded drifting game at these days? What was that called?

@facelessvixen said:

I miss NBA Street. I'll take an NBA Street HD.

WORD. NBA Street 2 for life. Give me another cartoonish bball game with 70s-90s players and I will just die immediately. Arcade Sports are badly missed (SSX). All this simulation is bringing me down.

Also, Wipeout. Just bring it back! PLEASE.

Bill_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Road rash. It's incredible to me that no one brings this back. Driving along smacking dudes with chains and truncheons was so much fun.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Turned base jrps, i never understood the need to go real time in these games.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

3D action games. Like I'm talking God of War Bayonetta type stuff here, seems like ever since Souls came out, people would rather do that.

jdizzlefoshizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mystyr_e: Yes!!! I like souls okay, but it's its own thing, should not be replacing action games like it is. The worst is when people were saying, oh Bloodborne is so much faster than dark souls, its pretty much a character action game. When's the last time you played devil may cry? Bloodborne's combat is not fast paced, and does not satisfy the same things as devil may cry, god of war etc. Honestly I even really liked the first Lords of Shadow game. Maybe this is crazy, but I actually now miss the flood of god of war clones, liked those better than these souls clones at least.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

There are many of my friends who aphave gotten deep into the SHMUPS hole of collecting PCBs and super expensive Saturn games. It never really got me in the same way as brawlers did. Final Fight all day, erry day!

The thing I really want to see coming back is Japanese lightgun games. I was made aware recently that Time Crisis 5 is in arcades and it looks awesome.

TheUnholyGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By TheUnholyGhost

I would like to see some third person shooters where you're not hiding behind a waist high wall for most of the game.

@mystyr_e: Yes!!! I like souls okay, but it's its own thing, should not be replacing action games like it is. The worst is when people were saying, oh Bloodborne is so much faster than dark souls, its pretty much a character action game. When's the last time you played devil may cry? Bloodborne's combat is not fast paced, and does not satisfy the same things as devil may cry, god of war etc. Honestly I even really liked the first Lords of Shadow game. Maybe this is crazy, but I actually now miss the flood of god of war clones, liked those better than these souls clones at least.

Isn't there a God of War sequel in development right now?

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Ezekiel

@jdizzlefoshizzle said:

I never hear that because "character action" is a phrase I find almost exclusively on this forum. I'd never use it myself. I no longer like action games like DMC, and the Souls games might have had something to do with my departure. I find them monotonous, shallow and physically straining.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really wish RTS games were less of a rarity than they are nowadays.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By GundamGuru

I just want another game like the original Final Fantasy Tactics. Like modern X-com meets swords and sorcery, only without some of the "lie to the player to make it more exciting/harder". And also a branching, well developed plot like what I assume Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together has (if I could get through the asinine class leveling mechanics). But I want it as a console game with good production values.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I ended up voting character action games, since Platinum seems to be the only one making them. Playing Nioh made me wish it was just a character action game. Shmups would be my second choice but there are plenty of those and I couldn't be happier. Besides Snowboarding/Tony Hawk, most of these genres are being/will be represented.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I would like to see a modern interpretation of a brawler\beat em up.

While not really modern God Hand is basicly that. And i'm with the OP. I would like to see Tony Hawk style games come back but I feel like that nail in the coffin has been firmly planted.

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Had to vote other. These are well worn, but I think a mix up would be something I would love.

A space game with a story like Wing Commander. Once you dock/land on a planet, turn based strategy game.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Japanese developed racing games. Past examples:

Man TXR was so much fun. I actually tried to load up TXR Zero and 3 in PCSX2 recently but they both ran terribly. I guess they didn't get enough love to be emulated well. Pulling out the discs to pop in the PC is one thing, I'm not about to dig out and hook up the PS2 though. Oh well.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like turn-based RPGs like PS1-era Final Fantasy to come back, but not in the form of derivative throwbacks.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@villainy: I have tried that before as well. They're totally unplayable on PC.

I would happily pay whatever they're charging for ps2tops4 games to be able to play one of those games on a console I have hooked up.

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta go with a classic RTS. I'm talking old School age of empires. Not too complicated but rts enough that I can free build my base. Gather resources. Build up a crazy army. All that good stuff. None of these F2P models a lot of games have adopted. No timers. Every time I see a game on my phone that looks like an rts, it's just a Clash of Clans clone. And some of that is spilling over to the consoles.

Microsoft. Age of Empires. Get on it.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Turn-based RPGs. Sure, they were never really dead, and there are some potentially high quality ones coming out this year, but there's still a pervasive attitude that they are dated and archaic, leading to an overwhelming amount of mediocre action RPGs from developers thinking it's the only option.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's this genre I miss really bad called the "Rallisport Challenge" genre. There are only two games in this genre:

1) Rallisport Challenge

2) Rallisport Challenge 2

I miss this genre really badly. Literally all the games in this genre were only on the original Xbox, so it's hard to find a way to play them.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#71 sweep  Moderator

I could go for some more really solid local multiplayer games. I'm talking golden-age-of-Nintendo split-screen goodness.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72  Edited By davidh219

Definitely 3D platformers, but ya know, updated for a modern time somewhat. That PS3 Sly Cooper game was basically the same thing as the last three games were on PS2 but with less content, worse writing, and stiffer controls. Not what I want. I want somebody to take Sly Cooper and Assassin's Creed and mush that shit together. Huge, visually stunning cartoon cities, hand-crafted indoor platforming sequences, all the fur polygons you can push out. I need this.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Whitestripes09

I really miss 3D platformers. I feel like maybe I would blow past them now, but the art and character design for a lot of them make me wish that games were not as afraid to make stylized characters and not so much in the cell shaded direction like Borderlands or Pixar like design of Overwatch, these just feel like adoptions of pre existing art forms to elicit familiar emotions in my opinion and aren't really that unique art and design wise. I mean more like the pastel-y dreamlike design of the original Spyro the Dragon game and the comforting earth tones mashed up with "rule of cool" design of the Crash Bandicoot series. I feel that these games in particular really understood how to make something unique with the colors and design of the characters (yes, I know these were supposed to be Mario's rivals for getting kids to play these games, but I think that rivalry actually helped in this case). Plus I feel that the gameplay is just a lot more laid back compared to games of today that reward fast reactions over player intuition and exploration.

I would kill for Tomb Raider to go back to being more of a puzzle solving platformer game instead of the shooter that it has become. It seems that even Uncharted has more of those elements now which is kind of bizarre....

It's also really weird to think that out of the major upcoming games, The Last Guardian is the only game that kind of fits the bill of a 3D platformer and really, the last series to have what I described above was probably Sly Cooper.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

3D Platformers but actually it's already happening with Yooka-Laylee and the like. Hmm. Oh! I know! How about RPGs in the vein of Paper Mario and Paper Mario Thousand Year Door? It's been over 10 years since TTYD, the best RPG yet made. High time for a new one with as much cool shit in it as the original games. You became a Wrestler in that game. Then later you solved murder mysteries on a train. It was perfect.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give me a good 3D platformer with a big world and branching paths to explore other than Mario/Insert Sony Mascot. It's time.

jdizzlefoshizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themasterds: yah apparently a Wii U paper mario is on the way, but it's been wierdly under-publicized, to the point most people don't seem to know about it. I believe the full title will be Paper Mario Color Splash and to be honest it doesn't look amazing, but who knows? And yah ttyd is pretty rad, liked it even more than the mario and luigi games, also like it was genuinely funny in a way that was sort of surprising.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mandude said:

I'd like turn-based RPGs like PS1-era Final Fantasy to come back, but not in the form of derivative throwbacks.

I agree with you. Now, heres the part where I will likely sound like a madman. I think we would have more of these games if the consoles weren't so powerful. Or if devs could some how limit their addiction to higher resolution graphics. The PS1 was such a great console cause it was just powerful enough to do many different things but limited enough so that devs really had to use their talent and creativity to make the something good with the console.

I mean back in those days all games looked like PS1/SNES/ect because thats what was available no we have access to many orders of magnitude more power. And the big devs of today feel obligated to go for good graphics rather than use less and have their game stand out in other ways. And indies are left to fill that void, successfully or not.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: I think you're right, and I think the same point stands for mechanics as well. Our AI and physics is far more advanced now, and we don't need to rely on abstract mechanics to get across what we're trying to represent in our game.

I think what they're missing though is that we don't care what they're trying to represent, because nearly every game is about slashing or shooting at something, anyway. What we care about is how we interact with it.

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I would like to see a modern interpretation of a brawler\beat em up.

I'd love to see what a new Streets of Rage would look like. I can almost hear a modernised soundtrack in keeping with the originals in my head.

Loading Video...

Get hype.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Turned based RPG, the speed of these games just fit my style better than others.

CaptCommando4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@facelessvixen: NBA Street V. 2 was a phenomenal game.

Thanks for making me nostalgic and wisful for something I didn't know I missed! ;)

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By BrainScratch

I could really go for some 3D platformers. Either that or just some stuff with that vibe from the PS1/PS2 era. Less open-world, less unlockable skill-trees, less hard battles, less grinding and looting, less MOBA elements. Give me more linear, story-driven and light-hearted fun without the need of turning everything into a franchise. Give me that feel of having dumb good fun that sometimes only AA games could give us.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the not so distant past I would have said Turn Based RPGs or the traditional CRPG but with Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin (and it's to be released sequel), the 3DS Fire Emblem games, Disgaea PC, and a handful of indie titles it's hard to say that those genres are dead. Not to mention Pillars of Eternity and that new (Planescape) Torment game. Real time CRPGs are pretty kickin' too.

Other than that I would have to say Skateboarding games or a new Burnout style racing game. Specifically a new Skate. I don't trust Activision to greenlight/properly budget a good new Tony Hawk game after 5, and I really enjoyed Skate's control scheme.

Glassycans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been a while since I've played a 3D platformer...maybe a good four years? In a sea of Dark Souls clones and 2D puzzle platformers that want to bank on nostalgia that I don't have, I could use a change of pace.

Bam541

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want a new Jak & Daxter game... Spyro too... and Crash Bandcoot...

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

I was just thinking the other day that I could go for another Skate.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

2D beat-em-ups. I can't be the only one who wants a new one.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wish they'd bring back shooters with squad commands. Brothers in Arms and Freedom Fighters were two of my favorite franchises from that gen.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

I would like to see side-scrolling brawlers come back in a big way

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I could go for that. When was the last good one?

jdizzlefoshizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zorban_zorban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Classic point-and-click adventures. Wadjet Eye Games are doing something but that's not enough.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Ezekiel

I've been wondering lately why there is no modern 3D beat 'em up. I mean, the linear type, with levels that you fight through mostly barehanded. I didn't care about it when this thread was still new. Funny thing is, I hadn't even played any real beat 'em ups when I began thinking of this. This lead me to start playing Streets of Rage 2 yesterday. I like it. Can't be bothered to learn all the controls, though. Anyway, I got so interested in the idea of a 3D beat 'em up that I tried to come up with a simple concept. Since I've played almost no beat 'em ups, my idea of what the genre should be might be a little different from everyone else's.

A 3D beat ’em up with linear but open levels. Also features quite a bit of platforming. The world is cyberpunk, an anarchist shithole full of punks, rough police and robots of varying sizes. The levels all take place at night. Old and modern architecture. Lots of neon lights.

Levels are full of interactive objects, including melee weapons (knives, pipes, bricks, wood beams, bats, cue sticks). Some of these weapons break and are then automatically tossed. They’re also knocked out of the character’s hand when they’re hit, sometimes out of the level. There are guns, but they can’t be reloaded and are tossed when emptied. (Revolvers, automatic pistols, shotguns, assault rifles, sub-machine guns.) Your main weapons are your fists, followed by your legs.

No upgrades. There are numerous timed combos, but the player can get through the game using the basic attacks and evade. Player characters keep their fists raised like boxers when facing opponents. The game has a soft lock on system, meaning the game will slightly adjust the player’s orientation towards enemies.

• WASD: Move (Slow run. Character will run fast after a few seconds of running uninterrupted. There is no sprint button, since being able to sprint instantaneously would make combat too easily avoidable.)
  • Mouse button 1: Punch/shoot
  • Mouse button 2: Kick (Player can kick even while holding a gun.)
  • Shift: Evade (Will lean body and take quick evasive steps.)
  • Shift + MB1: Evasive punch
  • Shift + MB2: Evasive kick
  • Spacebar: Jump, climb, vault
  • Ctrl: Walk (Hold by default. Toggle also possible.)
  • C: Look back
  • E: Grab enemy
  • F: Pick up and drop weapon
  • Q: Rearward elbow strike (Pressing it twice in a row will make the character also turn around.)

There is no block. You either strike first or evade.

I know the control scheme is simplistic enough to be mapped to a controller, but I just don’t care to.

In the top-left corner of the picture is a health bar. For every enemy the player defeats, they gain a little bit of health back. The player characters smile and do mocking animations when the player dominates fights, and appear fearful and pant when they are near defeat, implying that the health meter really represents their determination, audacity and nerve.

You can play with a partner online, paying homage to classic beat ’em ups like Streets of Rage. Enemies are placed randomly and sometimes come in large groups, hopping down from fences and windows, like in Left 4 Dead. The enemies almost double when you’re in multiplayer.

The playable characters are a man and woman, lovers. Both are muscular and tall. There is banter between them as they fight baddies, much like in L4D.

Guy:

• French-English descent
  • 6 feet 2 inches, early thirties, blue eyes, clean shaven
  • Full head of brown hair, medium length and straight
  • Fairly muscular, but not roided out
  • Wears jeans, sneakers, short-sleeved white shirt, black belt.
  • Has a tattoo on his right upper arm.

Girl:

• West African descent
  • 5 feet 9 inches, mid twenties, gracefully muscular
  • Frizzy hair, cut at the neck
  • Wears a short leather jacket (red), sequin miniskirt with small slit (black), dark pantyhose (with a few little tears from exertion), calf-high boots (black), elbow-length blouse with pointed u-neck (cream white), weighted-knuckle gloves.

The music is synthwave, possibly featuring Perturbator and Lazerhawk.

Cutscenes are hand-drawn, brief and infrequent.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

First we should all change 'Character Action Games' to 'Combo-Action Adventures' since the latter actually describes what they are, where the former can describe anything from The Last of Us and Street Fighter to Call of Duty. When that is done, they need to make a strong comeback. They obviously never truly went away, but two or three grand games in that genre a year sounds good to me.

They used to be my favorite genre you know. Ninja Gaiden Black, DMC3/4, Revengeance. All great. I still play NGB sometimes.

CujoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Car Combat- Vigilante 8 not Mario Cart

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to vote schmups but I've been buying so many schmups lately that it seemed disingenuous. Between Steam and PS4, it's a bit of a schmup renaissance right now.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

A year later I still say 3D fighters. As big as Evo has grown it's sad Tekken is the only thing going these days. Hopefully that Arika demo gets funding and becomes something decent.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually really liked Cool Boarders.

CorpseMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Road Rash 3D

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would really like an arcade-style NFL game along the lines of NFL Blitz. Maybe with Robots or something ridiculous so they can have the ridiculous takedowns.