Which Giant Bomb Crew Member do you agree with most on videogames?

• 117 results
fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By fatalbanana

None of them? I respect their opinions and take them to heart but I wouldn't say I agree with any of them the most. I don't know I don't come to these guys to look for them to agree or disagree with my opinions. That's just me.

omelettefists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Ryan then Jeff.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By imhungry

In terms of games that I like, I probably align with Rorie and/or Jason the most. That being said, if Jeff receives a game well there is an incredibly high chance that I will also enjoy said game, just that there are also many genres that I really enjoy that Jeff has no interest in.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Jeff and Vinny.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need more evidence on Abby's tastes before I can make a conclusive determination, but in the meantime I'd say Vinny. He seems to have the deepest appreciation for good and/or nutso stories.

There's also about a 90% chance I'll hate anything Brad gushes about.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's always been Austin and Patrick but since they left I'm not sure there is anybody. Maybe Vinny since he actually likes story, lore and character building.

JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By JoRoNimo

Hmmm... this is a good question. I think it's some combo of Alex>Jeff>Vinny>Dan, in that order? Basically, if any of those 4 love a game, or at least feel really positive on it, I can be pretty confident that I will have as good a time, if not a better time. If two of them love a game, I'm immediately sold.

I also think Brad has aligned 1:1 with me when he 5 Stars a game - but any other rating and it's a crapshoot.

EDIT: With that being said about Brad, I have never, ever been remotely interested in Dota or MOBAs in general.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#58  Edited By Savage

Everyone on the GB crew has a few areas of agreement with me in tastes, but is mostly dissimilar.

Roughly speaking, I like PC-ass PC games (CRPG, PC FPS, RTS, Tactics/Strategy), as well as JRPGs and Japanese action/adventure games.

I don't like fighting games, adventure games, console FPS, action platformers, or western action/adventure games.

Also, I like AA games more, but AAA games and indie/arcade/retro games less than the GB crew.

I think Dave was the most in line with the PC side of my tastes, and I suppose Jason/Ben/Dan are vaguely the closest (but not really) to the Japanese side of my tastes.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I feel like Ben, Dan, Alex and Vinny have the closest to my taste

I think I'm way off when it comes to Abbey and Jason

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It used to be Drew, but besides him it's mostly Jeff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

This strange hybrid of Jeff-Jason-Brad?

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Vinny seems to be the only one who shares my love of adventure games (maybe Alex too, to a certain extent)

waterfallsuite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I align with Current Games Jeff a lot in that mechanics are really important and really enjoying games 'remixing' things from other games a la Absolver, Dead Cells, etc. Retro Jeff I just have no reference for. Those amiga streams could be played in Guantanamo imo but that's just me. Papa Vinny I relate to a lot in that I don't have a ton of time and can usually only get through a 1/3 or 1/2 a game before something happens and I can't finish it. I have some Completionist Brad in me where I really need to achieve things like Mile High Club ( I spent like 3 hours running the course at the beginning of Titanfall 2). I have very little in common with Jason and haven't really owned a Nintendo console so Dan is out for a lot of things. It's an interesting question though. I'm interested to see where the new peeps taste lies. Actually tbh Austin and I probably share the most common games taste.

AdamALC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinny the most since we both like lore a bit too much.

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Jeff, Brad and Vinny pretty equally, with the exception of sports games in which case none of the crew because I tend to enjoy them.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad + Ben. Most defiantly not Jeff.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would actually say Jeff. HOWEVER not in the types of games we tend to like. There is some overlap [talking only about new releases of modern games] but we vary a lot there.... but I tend to agree with his opinions on games the most. So separating taste, def Jeff.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never felt more erased.

@paliv said:

Jeff, Brad and Vinny pretty equally, with the exception of sports games in which case none of the crew because I tend to enjoy them.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#70  Edited By Mezmero

This topic should be in General Discussion for future reference. Anything regarding the site and video games usually lives there. Probably Vinny in terms of loving games with story and styyyyyyyle, Alex has pretty good tastes in that realm as well. Alex tends to be a good barometer in general for games that give me some much needed yucks and/or some warm fuzzies though he also plays a lot of sports and rhythm games which I rarely touch anymore. I really wish I could embrace my inner weab more like Jason. I've played a lot of great Japanese games this year but in terms of actual design some of the more quirky aspects of these games can feel mad tedious yo. While I'm not always in sync with Jeff's tastes in stuff the man knows good first person shootin' when he sees it.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Vinny and I usually align on taste.

Harmpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Certainly Alex. There are so many small narrative based games that I played on his recommendation and loved. I have him to thank for playing Oxenfree and Night in the Woods.

While I appreciate the opinions of all the GB cast, most of them are talking about and recommending games that I am aware of and often know pretty well whether or not I will like them. Alex does an excellent job highlighting games I otherwise would never have known about.

MostlySquares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find myself agreeing with Brad on pretty much everything. Aside from heavily narrative driven games, Vinny's taste also overlaps with mine. Particularly the more Kerbal/simulation end of the spectrum. I love RPGs as well, just more on a mechanical level than what Vinny does. I wish I loved story as much as Vinny. Games would be even better for me.

GrayFox666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By GrayFox666

Maybe Jason, Vinny, and Jeff but with major exceptions for both. I love JRPGs and Jason is only only one who has seemingly has any taste for them.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Deathstriker

Vinny the most... Brad the least. I'm going by podcasts since I hardly look at anyone's reviews anymore.

Vinny seems to like some of my favorite franchises (Mass Effect, Witcher, etc). Brad loves games that I actively dislike (Destiny 1 for example)... Jeff probably has the oddest and most interesting taste to me since he hardly likes anything, which I'm on my way to being myself since this current gen kinda sucks. Plus he seems to begrudgingly play COD every year (which is pretty funny). Him disliking Red Dead so much is still odd to me. I don't think any of them other than Vinny liked TLOU very much, which is another one of my favorites.

MalibuProfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MalibuProfen

My gut told me, whispering gently through my existing, 'non-drew-barrymoreish' belly button, that the closest one would be Alex, but I had to think about it for a while - since this is a serious topic after all. "But unlike Brad he won't touch the Dark Shouls or the Dota 2s with a shtick", an inner Connery might wonder with a slight sense of disappointment but also of approval.

Fast forward: To provide proof for my inkling, I went back and looked at Alex's Top 10 -lists from 2013 up to last year comparing them with my own lists. For the first two years we shared ten* games in total, while the last couple years only four**.

The drop off is mostly explained by me having played fewer new games lately since the lure of listening to a podcast and playing (often) a (multiplayer) game is ever-present. For this year I've only played the highly enjoyable Hollow Knight, which brings me to the point that even as we both have found enjoyment in similar games like the NBA 2K -series, Civ V, Hotline Miami and FTL, there certainly are some glaring differences in taste as well. However, I'm most often interested in hearing Alex's views on games since they're somewhat likely to coincide with mine, and even when they don't I can usually understand from his explanations why a particular game doesn't click with him (for example Hotline Miami 2 and the aforementioned Hollow Knight).

There's probably a good reason why Night in the Woods has sat near the top spot of my wishlist since February.

* Brothers; Gone Home; Saints Row IV; Bioshock Infinite; Papers, Please; Jazzpunk; Hearthstone; South Park: TSoT; Shovel Knight; Wolfenstein: TNO

** Her Story; Rocket League; Darkest Dungeon; Inside

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't know that I agree with anyone a whole lot. Most of the staff takes a different view to things than I do. I agree with each of them at times, and have disagreed with them all at others, none really aligns with me 100%. The closest is probably Vinny, Brad was at one point but over the years I find myself agreeing with him less and less. Dan is almost always my polar opposite. Jeff and the rest are hit and miss. Ben and Abby are too new for me to really know.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly, none currently. It was Patrick, for a 'as close as they get, at least he likes weird indy titles and is open to weird experiences like I can enjoy. But then he left. Then it was maybe Drew? Not a racing fan but he had an appreciation for simulations and single-player experiences that I could appreciate..but he left. Then it was absolutely Austin, because he'd heard of Paradox's games before they became somewhat well known, likely beat the Witcher 3, knows what traditional Rogue-likes are and enjoys them, I would bet he's played, beaten and enjoyed Persona 4 golden..yada. But...he left.

Now its..no one? Like Vinny is as close as I come cause I really liked FMV games back in the day, and I enjoy his enthusiasm and personality. But he's a generation removed from my child-hood experiences.

But really, its no one. There is now in the GB staff, to my personal desire to have someone no the staff who I can say enjoys Anime, RPGS, strategy games, rogue-likes, simulations, making a character and roleplaying as that character in a game play Fall Out or Skyrim. Like, who does that describe at GB now? To me, the staff absolutely represents the majority of gamers..in that most of them like FPS multiplayer games, at least a few of them play Dota, and they are basically all in on an experience like PUBG, which to me is "Fun to watch when its intense/the people playing are skilled..but doesn't look any fun to play.

As far as I can tell, Ben and Abby don't seem to meet that criteria much at all. Though to be fair, I'm just really turned off by Ben's sense of humor (its just not for me) and Abby has been way more a behind the scenes presence so far. If she has a major divergence in her taste for games not already represented by people on staff, I've not keyed into it.

I will give a shout-out to Rorie. He has a love of CRPGs at the very least and whenever he gives a review or chimes in about an rpg, I often find his opinion mixes well with my own. But he also feels like 75%+ staff not on-air persona. (Which is fine, they need a tech support guy for sure). What little he does contribute of his opinion and gaming personality I like, though I was never a fan of Wow or MMORPGs, nor a big action dungeon-crawler kinda guy.

My remaining hope is that they are aware this is a niche that they don't currently have filled. Since, you know, they totally have hired people in the 'quirky animeish rpg hard-core nerds who likely play DnD" role before. So perhaps we will inevitably see one of the new people they hire have such a personality to fill the void I feel exists in their range of expertise/opinion. That said, its not like the above personalities I said used to be GB staff that I most agreed/jived with are poofed off the face of the earth. Waypoint is still a thing and Drew's still doing his thing. So is Danny for that matter though he was more an honorary GB member.

Still, if the day ever comes where we get someone who legit is happy to have the 'anime editor' title, has 40+ hours in at least Paradox strategy game, and has played in table top role-playing before (and enjoyed the experience)...color me absolutely thrilled....but also absolutely convinced they will move on at some point.

Avatar image for absoluteunit207
AbsoluteUnit207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff for sure. When discussing games he always has a tendency to voice exactly what I'm thinking about that game at the time.

Also, Alex and I seem to like a lot of the same stuff. I dig his passion for the games he likes.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Probably somewhat in this order. I'm including some people that aren't around on the list too because they are relevant.

1. Jason
  2. Austin
  3. Ben
  4. Ryan
  5. Brad
  6. Everyone else

Brad has kind of been my go to constant for something resembling my opinion of things. But it's never been quite there. Jeff, Vinny and Alex I generally have nothing in common with. Kinda goes to show this website isn't quite about picking their brains for recommendations or anything. I like hearing them talk about stuff even if I usually don't agree.

Jason is a man of taste though. I look forward to hearing about games I've been messing with from at least someone on the team. :P Now if only Brad people wouldn't speak over him all the time.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad, probably. Not genres, because arena shooters are def not my jam, but more in the way he describes the games he enjoys. I see a little Vinny in my OCD/completionist tendencies at times. Certainly not Jeff, as he seems to have a genuine dislike for the games that I really like a lot (Dark Souls and RDR to name a couple). I feel like I don't really know what Alex likes besides rhythm games and Civ V.

Avatar image for deactivated-61f8244d70470
deactivated-61f8244d70470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

As of late, probably Jason.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alex: What would you say you do around here?

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard to say, it is quite polarizing.

I lean towards story driven games like RPGs and JRPGs along with a completionist impulse which is pretty Vinny-like, but I have no love for adventure games, and my love of Castlevania starts and stops at Symphony of the Night.

I get some similar interests in Japanese games vibe from Ben and Jason occasionally, and am somewhat interested in a lot of "Jason-game," but I have no love for fighting games and definitely not a hardcore combo mechanics fan. I also DotA very briefly but never got too deep.

When I was young Twisted Metal and Metal Gear was pretty much what got me really into gaming, but Dan is a hardcore classical Nintendo and shun RPGs where I have no love for any long running Nintendo franchise and went hardcore JRPG afterward. I also played the shit out of Stardew Valley that one year.

I enjoy when Jeff talks about video games in general, our occasional shooter itch matches, but I don't care much for old games.

No love for sports nor rhythm games, which seems to be Alex's trademark, but I did put some hours into Civ V...by some hours I meant some hours within a day from stone age to the 1700s where there are now Korean made stealth bombers dropping bombs on cavalry.

I liked Diablo 2, but never really got into Diablo 3. I was pretty into Warcraft 3, but only touched StarCraft 2 for its early campaign. Again did a little DotA. A year or two of Quake 2 and UT was my most active time when it comes to competitive shooters. So not really at Brad's (and Jeff's) level.

dwerkmd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By dwerkmd

Alex for me. Rorie as well.

Jeff and Brad sometimes. They tend to dismiss some games as "bad" in ways that never really make sense to me and also praise and love some games that feel like the same old crap to me. To each their own.

I tend to enjoy Nintendo near as much as Dan but his approach to action and story games is direct opposite from how I play.

I like a lot of Jason games minus the intense fighting game love. I wish they'd let him talk more about his games on the Bombcast. We had 30 minutes this week of Brad and Jeff being blown over by Destiny game mechanics that have been a main staple of MMO's like FFXIV for years and then Jason gets a minute to talk about Monster Hunter.

The way Vinny plays games is similar to me and I think we share similar interests, but I couldn't care less for anything Assassin's Creed or open world jank.

I don't have enough of a feel on Abby or Ben games yet. DOTA is absolutely not for me. My eyes glaze over immediately when it comes up. I feel out of touch with some of Abby's gaming stories. Listening to her confusion over the first level of Sonic Mania was alien to me though I suppose it's understandable given that she never tried one before.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A mix of Jeff and Vinny.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By BoboBones

I'm going to say Patrik Klepek. Brad being arguably the biggest "Souls" fan In the office makes me want to choose him, but anyone of them would be the right answer.

Vinny for his Witcher love.

Brad/Ben for Dota 2.

Dan for Metal Gear and Nintendo.

Jeff for his view on game mechanics.

Alex for Weed3, Civ, rhythm, racing, and sports games.

They all have good taste.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#89  Edited By CJduke

Vinny because he loves the Witcher series when everyone else ended up ignoring it on this site. Also he tries lots of games and usually has fair opinions.

I also love the Starcraft loving Brad, dota Brad is OK. Destiny Brad is a bit much. ( Destiny is good but it's not that good Brad come on.)

Jeff kinda hates everything but then thinks most triple A fps games are great. Except he was right on Titanfall 2. That game is amazing.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably a fruity mix of Vinny, Alex, and Jason. Games for builders, games for thinkers, and games for maniacs.

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some kind of inhuman Vinny/Rorie hybrid probably lines up with me the best, and must be put down for the good of all.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#92  Edited By Sergio

Alex.

Vinny.

Brad.

Dan.

Jeff.

knotley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a close run race between Alex and Jason for me in almost every terrifying way.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd almost say Kessler if that counts, but his Dota 2 addiction is the very opposite of me, i usually find myself disagreeing with everyone in the crew, even when it comes to movies, so it's a good thing i still find them entertaining :P.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Vinny and Alex as close second. I like mostly extremely story focused games and I often find that if Vinny or Alex likes a game there's a good chance I will like it too. On the opposite side I'd say Brad and Dan. The fascination of loot heavy games by Brad baffles me every time and I still don't understand its unconditional love of everything Naughty Dog. Same with Dan, our tastes don't overlap much but that's all right I like them both anyway.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Alex
  2. Jeff
  3. Jason

Alex since he likes not only mechanically good games, but from time to time he also enjoys story heavy games. Jeff loves game mechanics, but also absurdity in games. Jason out of those 3 enjoys games that are harder to penetrate, e.g. Monster Hunter, Souls, etc.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinny and Alex. In that order. Everyone else is kind of just in a lump of certain games yes, other games no.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Vincent.

constantk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinny and Jason for their dad-takes and openness to trying things that others won't, even if they can't finish anything. I can definitely relate to that.

Saw some folks throwing Austin and Patrick into the mix. I definitely like Austin's take on things and since he left to run Waypoint, I've really gained an affinity for Rob Zacny as well.

madladunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff for sure for me. He seems to sometimes dislike games I like, but I can't remember him ever liking or recommending a game that I thought was bad. That's all you can ask really. I also like his hair.

All the team have great, entertaining opinions though, and if any of them say a game is good then I'm inclined to think that I might like it too.

Apart from that one guy who said that Mario Sunshine is a masterpiece.