Which weekly Giant Bomb podcast do you listen to?

• 118 results
Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Which weekly Giant Bomb podcast do you listen to? (1076 votes)

Bombcast 4%
Beastcast 15%
Both 81%
 • 
elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've listened to both, within 24 hours of publication, without fail for at least as long as the Beastcast has existed. I eat podcasts for breakfast.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#52  Edited By FLStyle

I need to start listening to the beastcast more, but for now just the bombcast.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both. Bombcast at work on Wednesdays and Beastcast at work on Fridays. The only time I sometimes end up being schedule is during my vacation, because I don't really have a podcast routine for my time off work. I enjoy the different vibes they both bring.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've cut down on my podcast consumption recently. But I still like to go out for an hour every day walking, & will also listen to podcasts at various other points in my day, like if I'm washing the dishes or mowing the lawn. So I find I have time for both Bombcast & Beastcast, along with 2 Chapo Trap House episodes a week, and still quite a few others that vary from 30 minutes to an hour in length.

Generally if I enjoy a podcast I'll make the time to listen to it, even if it's just in 5 minute chunks from when I notice I need a poo until I've gotten back downstairs & am sitting down.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

Neither religiously, though Beastcast more than Bombcast at the minute.

Used to be the other way round -- the inclusion of Jeff Bakalar made it feel a little weird (no slight against him intended - I love his contributions; just the addition of a non-GB voice felt odd) -- but recently the Bombcast has started to feel very regimented/rote, which isn't where it shines. Still a worthwhile listen, but not something I feel like finding the time for.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Gotta listen to both. It's the only way.

The Beastcast has definitely become more entertaining with the addition of Abby and Margaret. The Bombcast is in dire need of some new energy, it just feels kinda lifeless at this point. They should invite more guests on to the show. It would be fun to hear industry insight from people who aren't necessarily Will Smith (as much as I love that guy).

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By TheHT

I'm way crazy super behind on the Beastcast to the point where I'm not gonna bother catching up and just dive back in at any given episode. So I guess technically just the Bombcast. :(

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both, but favoring the Beastcast.

I think I'm pretty much done with insanely deep industry insight, game preservation, how reviews / honesty works, how YouTube / influencers are bad, the local fast food place, etc. The Bombcast was absolutely fantastic at one point because it combined humor with opinions about games. Please get back to that format. Insight to a certain level is good, but it can't keep dominating the conversation every week.

As of now, the Bombcast really needs some renewed energy.

hott8bitaction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a 1.5 hour community back and forth from school so I get to listen to both.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

For the most part, I listen to both of them. I will usually try to finish them within the week they come out, but sometimes I'll finish last week's episode as the newest episode is released and then I'll find some day during that week to listen to that episode. Etc., etc. At the moment, I'm pretty busy, so they're the only two podcasts I listen to.

Bummlmitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I obviously listen to the best podcast around: so Beastcast. I rarely listen to the Bombcast nowadays, as it lost some of its "energy". I'm not really sure how to say it, but it's just not as entertaining as it used to be.

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By betaband

I listen to My First E3 exclusively

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In addition to my previous answer, I've listened to both since...2010, I think, and whenever the Beastcast started. Almost crazy how many years I've kept that up. Don't think I've followed any other piece of media for that long without any breaks.

I also listened to thisyear-collections at work some years ago, along with old GOTY discussions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

craigieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only really dipped my toes into the Bombcast but I'm not a regular listener yet. Haven't given the Beastcast a try yet but I'll get to it eventually.

sloktor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Normally listen to both as soon as I can. Either earbuds while working at the office or out on a excersise ride on the bike.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#67  Edited By Danteveli

None

couple years ago I just stopped enjoyng bombcast. Got up to ep 60 of beastcast and as much as I love Vinny doing his thing I had enough. I may go back to it when I have nothing better to do but nowadaysthere are other podcast that I enjoy more.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I go for an hour walk every day (often two hours on weekends), so I can fit in a lot of podcasts in my life.

I typically listen to both the bombcast and beastcast in full, spread out over a few days. I listen to 8-4 play when there is Nintendo news or it is a quiet week for podcasts, but often skip it otherwise. Also shift+f1 is still GB content in my heart :)

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both, but I have on occasion listened to the week's Beastcast prior to that week's Bombcast.

I love both casts equally, for different reasons!

dumari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've gone from a fairly active job to an incredibly inactive one so all I do is listen to podcasts while I'm trapped at my desk.

There aren't enough GB casts a week to get me thru a single day let alone the whole week.

Life is suffering.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I never miss an episode of either. Fortunately I do a lot of menial labor throughout my work week so I have more than enough time for podcasts. The Bombcast certainly has seen better days and there are weeks where it feels like it's one episode away from turning into a retronauts cast which at this point might be more in their wheelhouse. Making it live feels like it might have made them more self conscious on mic or something because it's felt somewhat off since doing it in a video format. I honestly don't know how I'd improve it short of maybe a hiatus or just a better season of game releases. All that being said I still like those duders, Jeff and Jason in particular. The Beastcast is my current favorite podcast to listen to, despite Dan's best efforts to ruin it. For as sad as it was during the split between East and West offices the duo of Alex and Vinny is one of the best things to ever happen on this website. It's almost unfair that they get access to Bakalar and his special brand of wit and whimsy.

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've dropped off the bombcast as I feel like the opinions for most games is on point in the quick looks. I would go back to current Bombcast, but I've been having a blast listening to pre 2013 era bombcast with hindsight.

TommyTours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both, my commute time over a week generally lasts exactly long enough that I can get through both and Shift-F1.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#75  Edited By ThePickle

Since Ben joined Bwest I have been listening to the Bombcast regularly to go along with the #1 Podcast in the World (TM)

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By innacces14

Both. Allowed to work with earbuds.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None. Unless the caption mentions something I'm interested in specifically I'll fast forward to that. I find a lot of it is filler content where they're not really talking about anything at all. I don't have time for that.

TViddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both on the commute to work.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both, I usually listen to them at work, and on the train on my commute.

Creme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#80  Edited By Creme

I can't listen to the Bombcast anymore, it's hopelessly boring and it's a shame because I like listening to Jeff.

Beastcast has Dan, Vinny and Bakalar to give it some life so it's still good, though I have kind of fallen out of consuming GB content overall in favor of stuff like Joe Rogan and Rebel Media.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Both, audio only...

I have a lot of time available during commute.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I've become one of those guys that just listens to the Beastcast and writes that in the comments.

I listen to the Bombcast occasionally these days but I listen to more podcasts now and ones that I am catching up on so I have other ways to spend the time.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@sravankb said:

Both, but favoring the Beastcast.

I think I'm pretty much done with insanely deep industry insight, game preservation, how reviews / honesty works, how YouTube / influencers are bad, the local fast food place, etc. The Bombcast was absolutely fantastic at one point because it combined humor with opinions about games. Please get back to that format. Insight to a certain level is good, but it can't keep dominating the conversation every week.

As of now, the Bombcast really needs some renewed energy.

I agreed with your post until the fast food stuff (I am always down for good off topic stuff as long as things keep moving). The only time that stuff has ever bothered me on the Bombcast is when it's "lets explain the world to Dan" cause he asks "what is that?" and it gets so fucking tiring if that just keeps going on and on and I don't even think Dan doesn't know what he is asking about (I usually love Dan but that's him annoying me).

The other things you bring up, like boring ass talk about reviews when GB hardly even reviews a single game anymore or "oh god E3" over and over are so played out and uninteresting for the most part now. The thing for me is that is the time they spend on games on the Bombcast. Back when the Bombcast was great, they would talk about Fallout 3 a lot when it was notable for example and talk through the gameplay, impressions, big moments, etc. I think because GB has QL's and stuff they have this attitude they shouldn't talk about gameplay on the podcast but they don't always have avenues to discuss that stuff and, again, when the podcast was great that was what it was doing. Anyways, the way "video games industry talk" has become super boring I am in agreement with.

It's become a big disappointment for me with GB podcasts. Even the Beastcast isn't great with that at all IMO (they often rush off game discussions when they occur) but the rest is really good. For me I went elsewhere for that kind of talk in depth talk about a game mechanically and story wise because it isn't to be found on GB podcasts. Waypoint does a way better job with that for example.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always remember back to that first podcast after Ryan passed away. Jeff recalling conversations he had with Ryan about ditching the whole video game thing and wanting to go out on the road to do some sort of comedy/musical/stand up live show. That would have been a great thing to see.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matoya said:

I don't like Ben's faux humour

Me neither, i'll probably learn to tolerate it if i listen enough though.

I sit at a desk most of the day and spend a couple hours in transit, so i listen to a lot of pods (about 20, most are a lot shorter than Giant Bomb's 2-3 hour podcasts though). Beastcast is currently my favourite podcast, i don't know if it's because it comes out on friday, but i'm always excited to listen to it. I'm also really into Levar Burton Reads for some reason.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Both, but I vastly prefer the Beastcast. I will stop listening to a Bombcast halfway through if the Beastcast is out.

I haven't skipped a Bombcast for years but I'm getting close, I honestly barely remember what they talk about most weeks.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I haven't missed a single Bombcast since before it was the Bombcast. I had only listened to a few Beastcast when it first started and when Austin joined, but I really only had time for one or the other. The choice was obvious then.

I was getting a bit bored with it once Dan moved to the Beastcast, but not enough to make the switch. What put it over the top was the addition of Abby. It's the obvious choice now.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both. I've always listened to the current beastcast episode a few times a week since it's so good.

I stay current with the bombcast but sometimes find myself skipping parts that crawl, like the 25 minutes of fighting game tournament talk this past week. That was rough to listen to, for me.

I sometimes contemplate cutting out the bombcast as the beastcast is more like what the bombcast used to be with it's bits, off topic conversations, and high energy. The bombcast seems to have turned into a very rigid and dry thing. Which is fine, things change and not everything has to appeal to me.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#91  Edited By alexl86

While I suppose I listen to both, I regularly listen to the bombcast and listen to the beastcast about once a month, if they're discussing something specific.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#93  Edited By geirr

BBW!

Beastcast, Bombcast & Waypoint.

edit: Oh we're doing personal opinions.

Beastcast is really entertaining, the addition of Abby was fantastic and has made my wife a fan too.
Some people hate it when Dan causes weirdness but we love it.

Bombcast is still enjoyable but needs help. The addition of Ben just added more of the same when I personally feel they needed more diversity. Since the new hire, Rorie hasn't been heard from as much which to me is a huge loss as he and Jason are both passionate and not afraid to show it. They're like sparkling Disney mermaids in a deep, dark sea of irony and jadedness~ ʕ ᵔᴥᵔ ʔ

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geirr: I also am disappointed in the lack of Rorie. I was so hopeful for him being a regular on the podcast and videos after he came back.

Rorie's Puppy stream where Vinny and Drew played Day Z while puppies videos/pics were being shown was awesome! It's a shame that we haven't gotten Rorie to show up in Demo Derby's, Game Tapes, or PUGB streams.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Eurobum

8-4 play is the one I look forward to the most. There were a lot of great podcasts out there, but they just faded away or aren't consistent. The Bombcast was best when it was called the Hotspot and Rich Gallup was hosting, it was short, but very high energy.

Also it's no fault of Giantbomb, that games aren't nearly as exciting as they used to be. Plus people stopped pretending that it is anything else than numbers going up. Also the market has fragmented a lot. The pace at which technology improves is winding down considerably, while graphics performance keeps increasing the game play, simulation and AI, have barely improved. Instead the meta layers on the marketing shit sandwich keep growing, like DLCs, Season Passes, PS plus, in game and out of game gambling, currencies, achievements, trading cards...

Esports is a lie, controllers are stagnant, phone games are trash, remakes are lame, VR movement is sickening. Even the novelty of game streaming, kind of got old. Quite a few of those criticisms are age related, or rather one makes the experience and moves on. I have a feeling that both the reviewers, developers and even listeners don't share that unbridled enthusiasm of the early days, when anything seemed possible and a new game invented a genre.

r3d_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By r3d_zombie

I only listen to the Beastcast now, its just unmissable these days.

I find that the Bombcast has lost its way considerably and can be a chore to get through.

CorpseMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By CorpseMachine

I typically only listen to Bombcast. I enjoy the more serious discussion and less "wacky banter" during my commutes.

CorpseMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shorap said:

I stay current with the bombcast but sometimes find myself skipping parts that crawl, like the 25 minutes of fighting game tournament talk this past week. That was rough to listen to, for me.

Things like that are why I like Bombcast. I don't play fighting games, don't follow the scene, don't know the players. I just enjoy getting that glimpse into things, a different perspective and so on.