Who here wants to write about games for a living?

• 93 results
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By the8bitNacho
@BlazeHedgehog said:
" I want to write about games and make games, but the deeper I get in to making games the harder it is and more discouraged I become - so I'd be happy with just writing about them. 

I actually already do write about games, over here. I also do video reviews, too - I write, voice, record, and edit everything myself. Things can only go up for me from here. "
If you enjoy playing games, it's best to steer clear of making them.  You're likely to either detest the profession, or you'll get along with it fine, but suddenly find that playing games has become a lost hobby.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#52  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Sure, I'd love to do it for a living, but even with an English degree under my belt, my chances fall between slim and none, and slim just left town.  I'm decent at writing, don't get me wrong, but I've never been able to network properly to get a foot in the door.  I've done some small pieces for newspapers, but strictly on a freelance basis and with very little pay.  The best I can do is continue to write reviews, blogs, and opinion pieces, and hope somewhere down the line an opportunity presents itself.
Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Rehehelly

Never have, never will. I enjoy video games, they've been in my life since I was born but.. nah. That's why i'm doing biomed at uni :P 

twhalen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By twhalen

Yes, it is what I would call my dream job. I am currently a college freshman working towards an English degree. I hope to write for my college's newspaper either this spring semester or this fall, which I have a good chance of doing since I attened a small college whose newspaper has plenty of open spots. It also lacks any coverage of electronic entertainment, so I could actually bring something new to the table. I realize that to pursue video game journalism right after college would be rash, so for now I plan on attending graduate school and working somewhere close to where I live once I'm out of the gate. 

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Absolutely. I am working for that as I will soon take my school's newspaper class as well as applying for multiple gaming blogs (although they haven't replied as of now).

Avatar image for deactivated-5b45500a95f79
deactivated-5b45500a95f79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Delete

IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By IcySandman

I thought about it, thought a bit more, and thought, but than realized all this thinking wasn't doing shit for me so I tried and...didn't really like it....I'm a musician, adventurer extraordinaire!

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58  Edited By ToxicFruit

Well I am on that point in my life were I have no fucking idea what I want to be. Game journalism does not sound to bad.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
@Kombat said:

" @BlazeHedgehog said:

" I want to write about games and make games, but the deeper I get in to making games the harder it is and more discouraged I become - so I'd be happy with just writing about them. 

I actually already do write about games, over here. I also do video reviews, too - I write, voice, record, and edit everything myself. Things can only go up for me from here. "
If you enjoy playing games, it's best to steer clear of making them.  You're likely to either detest the profession, or you'll get along with it fine, but suddenly find that playing games has become a lost hobby. "
Well, the thing is, I already "make games", and have been for over ten years. But nothing serious, you see. Whenever I sit down and try and take game design "seriously", that's when things start getting aggravating. I actually have a friend who went to college for game design and we routinely get in to arguments about how to make a game and why certain game mechanics are the way they are. He is dead serious about understanding how to make games and when we don't see eye to eye, shit hits the fan. Infact, I'd say a good 80% of my frustration with the act of game design spawns from his judgment of what I do and how I do it. And I trust that he knows what he's doing just enough that, while I will argue my point furiously, after the argument is over, regardless of who won, I constantly second-guess myself.  Seeing him so serious at game design scares the hell out of me because while I'd like to take it seriously, I don't want to take it that seriously. He's almost like some kind of robot, or something.

So yeah. Writing is probably best for me. It's something I'm good at and I'm nowhere near as insecure about.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@kmdrkul said:

" I'm a journalism major, but I really don't see a whole lot of opportunities to get into "gaming journalism."  No reputable gaming website/magazine/what have you is going to hire someone fresh out of getting their degree with no prior experience.  I'd like to hear from one of the guys about how they broke into the business.    I also think that a lot of people have a skewed view of what journalism in general implies.  "

Make a gaming blog.  Work at making it popular.  When it grows to some reasonable level of  popularity work out some deals with hardware and software suppliers who want both ad space and advertorials (both of these MUST be separated from your editorials and reviews - doing otherwise will kill your credibility).  Do this for around a year and then you can refer to it in your C.V.  Doing this will also teach you what kind of shit journalists and their editors have to deal with.

@DanceDanceKennypants:

Not just Slaine.  I want more than just one 2000AD game.  

So many good IPs to choose from and Rebellion owns them all.  They've only made two of them into games and only Rogue Trooper was worth the effort.
Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Barrock

I'd love to. I just know I don't have the writing chops, and magazines are going out of business left and right. That leaves websites and I have a feeling video reviews are going to outnumber text reviews in the near future.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
@Barrock said:
" I'd love to. I just know I don't have the writing chops, and magazines are going out of business left and right. That leaves websites and I have a feeling video reviews are going to outnumber text reviews in the near future. "
I don't think that's the case at all. Video reviews take a lot more work than just writing text and hitting "Publish".
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#63  Edited By Video_Game_King
@SeriouslyNow said:
Work at making it popular.
How do you do that? And don't you dare say, "If your writing's decent enough..."
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Video_Game_King said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
How do you do that? And don't you dare say, "If your writing's decent enough..." "

Well of course the writing has to be effective.  That's not the whole thought,  You'd need to utilise SEO (search engine optimisation) mechanics by referring to your blog in as many different ways and from as many different sites as you can.  Also, hold competitions, give shoutouts and so on.  Give people a reason to come back.
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#65  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I would sure like to. But I can't see myself ever ACTUALLY doing it.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Video_Game_King
@SeriouslyNow: 

Tried the competition thing and a little bit of user interaction. People tend to ignore it. The thought, "review games that aren't older than the people reading it" comes to mind, but that goes against my whole commitment.
BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
@Video_Game_King said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
How do you do that? And don't you dare say, "If your writing's decent enough..." "
Send out applications. There's always a videogame website that's popular. You need to get your name out there. Strike up affiliations. Ask people if you can put them on your blog roll - because 9 times out of 10, if you ask somebody, "Hey, can I link to your blog from my blog?" the person you're asking will check out your stuff, and maybe even put you on their blog roll.

You've just got to keep at it. If you're really serious about it, start posting content on a schedule. You'll develop an audience eventually.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Video_Game_King: Well, one thing to make your stuff more popular is to modify it in a way that the users will like it more.  I don't think the games being old have much to do with the people ignoring it (look at the AVGN).  When I've seen your stuff, your reviews are freakishly long.  Why?  People look at that and just go pass those because for one: it's not a game they're interested in, and for two: it's a really long read.  Good reviewers can get their points across without resorting to tons of text.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Video_Game_King
@BlazeHedgehog: 

Tried it all except the advertising. I'd do it if I could fit it in without being ridiculously blatant. *tries it without being ridiculously blatant*

@FluxWaveZ:

That's why I have those three bullets that the bottom. You know, so you don't have to read the entire thing. Also, are you calling Jeff Gerstmann a bad reviewer?
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Video_Game_King: Well, three things: 

1. Jeff Gerstmann is popular.  You're not as much as he is.  People know what to expect from his writing and will bother reading through it to know his opinions. 

2. Putting bullet points does not rectify much.  You don't want people to just glance over what you wrote and just see the bullet points to give them an incomplete idea of what you were writing about.  If you think those bullet points are enough, then why write whole paragraphs to space it out more? 

3. I didn't say writing a lot will make one a bad reviewer.  I just said that writing short amounts of text and still getting your points and arguments across makes you a good reviewer.

They also have their video reviews for those who don't want to bother reading text.
Lukaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Lukaz

I would love to write for games rather than writing about them. Then maybe I could reach some sort of directorial position where I can fully evoke the decent creativity I possess. I just love imagining and then translating it into something a little more physical. And being allusive is really fun, so any of the positions I just mentioned would seem to be a nice fit. 

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Video_Game_King
@FluxWaveZ: 

1. Touche.
2. I put them in as a supplement to my reading. If you just read the bullet points, you miss all the jokes and observations I put into those really long paragraphs.
3. Well, you implied it. But whatever, I admit a fallacy on my part.

I'd do that, too, but I'm ugly as hell, don't look good on camera (don't even own one), and can't really draw. That eliminates animation.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Video_Game_King: Well, for the video reviews you could just do it ala Game Trailers Video Reviews.  That's pretty simple.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Video_Game_King
@FluxWaveZ: 

You mean essentially narrating a text review over footage of the gameplay? Doesn't that lack personality, though?
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Video_Game_King: Hm, I suppose so.  But after watching a bunch of those GameTrailer reviews I've grown to recognize "the voice" somewhat as a personality itself, and can associate what the person's talking about as his opinion.  Also, combined with the video clips of weird or funny parts in the game while the guy is talking about that part adds a unique personality to it.  But yeah, actually seeing the person in the video review does make it more... relatable?  Also, the way the Giant Bomb guys do it leaves them with enough freedom to add jokes or comparisons or what have you to their video reviews, which is another plus to doing it that way.

But one thing's certain: people watch video reviews more than they read written reviews.
igloodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By igloodude

Man, I just want to write. If it just so happens that I end up in game journalism, cool, but I just want to write.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Video_Game_King
@FluxWaveZ: 

I know, mainly because I'm guilty of just that (I have my reasons, most of the time). Believe me, I'd do it if I could.
MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#78  Edited By MeatSim

I have a interest but I have bad grammar and I don't articulate my thoughts well.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#79  Edited By Jeust

I had an idea about it, and probably dabble with it for a bit. I'm going to write romanced videogame adventures. :p

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#80  Edited By mrhankey
@doctorchin: 

A few years ago I loved the idea of writing about video games, however I have become a Psychology/Sociology major with a minor in Political Science, so I'm hoping to encourage social and personal reform in my lifetime. However I think writing on the side would be rather nice. @Sil3n7 said:
" @nanikore said:
" @finmon: I find it hilarious that Modern Warfare 2 was nominated for best writing. "
I know right? Best joke of the year. "
I also agree with this.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Jeust said:
" I had an idea about it, and probably dabble with it for a bit. I'm going to write romanced videogame adventures. :p "
I think you mean "romantic." Either that, or you intend to rework Gears of War into a celebration of nature and the intrinsic value of man :P.
BackpackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#82  Edited By BackpackKat

I want to be a film maker, but if that doesn't work out I would like to write about movies or games.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Jeust
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Jeust said:
" I had an idea about it, and probably dabble with it for a bit. I'm going to write romanced videogame adventures. :p "
I think you mean "romantic." Either that, or you intend to rework Gears of War into a celebration of nature and the intrinsic value of man :P. "
something like the latter.

I was thinking more of writting about star wars based on the experiences of the Force Unleashed, and about my fallout 3 and L4D experiences. Romances can be written from them. Have you thought about that? :p
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#84  Edited By bonbolapti

I used to do it, but only the odd time. 
I liked the idea of writing games but only when I found it interesting. 

I'd think, If I found myself in the position of doing it for a living. It would be if It it was cool enough blah blah blah
teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#85  Edited By teptom

I would like to. It probably won't work out that way, but yeah, I would like to.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Jeust: 

No, but now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense. A romance of Fallout 3? Tis a perfect chance for Bushwald Sexyface to sexy up the ladies of the land!
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Jeust
@Video_Game_King: there you go... :p

Games can provide great setting for that.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Jeust: 

Depends on the game. Saints Row 2? Of course! Ocarina of Time? Of course!

NOT!
Somadude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#89  Edited By Somadude

I like writing but I think I'd like to MAKE games not just write about them.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Jeust
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Jeust: 

Depends on the game. Saints Row 2? Of course! Ocarina of Time? Of course!

NOT! "
of course, but that judgement goes with the writer. yesssss? :p
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Jeust: 

You would really have Bushwald hit on girls in Kokiri Forest? THEY DO NOT AGE!!! The only adult there (besides Bushwald Sexyface) is Chris Hansen!
K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By K0rN

I'm looking into designing video games.
Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#93  Edited By Phished0ne

As a graphic design major, i would love to do something related to gaming, maybe doing box-art or manuals or something.    

But i have always fancied myself a bit of a writer,  I applied at  "PS3 Fanboy" when they were hiring but, its very hard to get work writing, sites like Bitmob.com help out with that.