Why does my annual subscription come with advertisements?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By Turambar
@Toms115 said:
they get money from ads. stop whining.   also: that show looks pretty funny. 
People pay them money to not see the ads.  Complaints are perfectly valid.
FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By FateOfNever
@AlexW00d said:

@FateOfNever: Regardless of what it ties to, it is still an ad. It advertises off-site content. Click on it, it takes you off-site. Plain and simple it is an ad.

-

Buzzkill has a perfectly good point. You can't claim that a lack of ads is a subscriber benefit and then chuck in ads, regardless of what they tie to, it is just not done.

See point 1)  It says No Ads, this is not Ads, this is an Ad, singular.  If he's wanting to take the wording at the most literal face value, with no outside context of what the giant bomb crew has gone on record saying, then so am I.  I am saying it says No Ads, but this isn't Ads, this is one, singular, ad, so he still has no grounds to cry "refund over misleading wording".  If he wants to cry for refunds over something like this, because he didn't bother gathering any information on the matter himself and only went by the most literal wording on the sign up page, then I'm going to do the same.

Actually, I'm kind of surprised he's not bitching about the fact that the sign up page says "A Custom T-Shirt!" when that could be taken to mean that "I get to tell them what t-shirt design I want and they have to custom make that t-shirt for me specifically", not "I get the same old t-shirt that every other yearly subscriber gets, that's not custom at all!"
swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#103  Edited By swoxx

@JJWeatherman said:

@Buzzkill said:

One of the big reasons I subscribed to the site is so I could view it advertisement free. This is a pretty shady way of getting around that.

They came out and said in the very beginning that advertising quests would still exist and show up for all users (Because hey, we all want quests). It's not shady. It's fine.

My sentiments exactly, JJ's words that is.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Turambar
@iAmJohn said:

@AlexW00d said:

@FateOfNever: Regardless of what it ties to, it is still an ad. It advertises off-site content. Click on it, it takes you off-site. Plain and simple it is an ad.

-

Buzzkill has a perfectly good point. You can't claim that a lack of ads is a subscriber benefit and then chuck in ads, regardless of what they tie to, it is just not done.

They came out and said that ad-quests would still be seen by subscribers when they launched subscriptions. This has never been a secret. Perhaps they could've said that better like Jeff said, but it's been common knowledge for months and is only coming back around because of how rare ad-quests are anyway. In fact, the fact that they're so rare is part of what makes this such a stupid fucking issue in the first place.

And that's not even getting into the baffling fuckwittery of some people demanding refunds because of it. Jesus fucking Christ, you entitled fucking ninnies.

Wouldn't you agree that an ad-quest link should direct the user to its quest page, or in this case, a link to a page with info on the live-stream, instead of the adultswim website?
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By time allen
@Turambar said:
@Toms115 said:
if you're paying to not see ads you're wasting your money. adblock is completely free.
Ehker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#106  Edited By Ehker

Not sure how the ad is quest related, since it's advertising the show and Ryan's livestream. This ad on the homepage doesn't do anything for the quest, does it?

rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#107  Edited By rockinkemosabe

But the show has Captain Kathryn Janeway with a fucking eye-patch what's not to love??

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Turambar
@Toms115 said:
@Turambar said:
@Toms115 said:
if you're paying to not see ads you're wasting your money. adblock is completely free.
When you have to use a third party program to obtain services that you feel were promised to you in the first place, then something has gone horribly wrong.
jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By jozzy

@AlexW00d said:

-

I don't feel very strongly about it, but I have to agree. This banner is clearly an add as it takes you to an outside site. The quest is clearly an ad, you get exp for basically clicking a couple of links that are directly in the hint, one even takes you to an outside page. Why not make it into an actually interesting quest that is somehow related to games, instead of a "push this button, get exp" abomination.

While it might be a stretch to devote time and resources to add an option in your profile that allows you to hide these sponsored quests, I still think it's a good idea because of the "No ads" message when they want you to sign up for membership. I personally wouldn't use the option though, even though this whole quest feels really dirty.

And @Fateofnever, please go ahead and try to get a refund at a store where they say "No refunds" because you only want one not more. You know the plural thing is a weak argument right?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#110  Edited By iamjohn

@Turambar said:

@iAmJohn said:

@AlexW00d said:

-

They came out and said that ad-quests would still be seen by subscribers when they launched subscriptions. This has never been a secret. Perhaps they could've said that better like Jeff said, but it's been common knowledge for months and is only coming back around because of how rare ad-quests are anyway. In fact, the fact that they're so rare is part of what makes this such a stupid fucking issue in the first place.

And that's not even getting into the baffling fuckwittery of some people demanding refunds because of it. Jesus fucking Christ, you entitled fucking ninnies.

Wouldn't you agree that an ad-quest link should direct the user to its quest page, or in this case, a link to a page with info on the live-stream, instead of the adultswim website?

No, because it's an ADVERTISEMENT. That is the point. If they're going to make it show for everyone, it makes no sense to completely rework the ad so that you can still get the quest points if you're a subscriber without seeing the ad. In fact, that would probably be a violation of whatever contract they have with Adult Swim or whoever else would be advertising. You're being needlessly pedantic for no reason other than shitty self-entitlement (which is especially baffling when you're not even a subscriber).

And hey, if you don't like it, don't do it. It's not like quests get you anything other than points on a third-party site anyway.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Turambar
@Ehker said:

Not sure how the ad is quest related, since it's advertising the show and Ryan's livestream. This ad on the homepage doesn't do anything for the quest, does it?

I think they meant that this is an ad-sponsored piece of WM content.  The livestream is devoted to the show itself.  But the ad does not bring you to the live-stream page, but an adultswim website.
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By time allen
@Turambar said:
@Toms115 said:
@Turambar said:
@Toms115 said:
When you have to use a third party program to obtain services that you feel were promised to you in the first place, then something has gone horribly wrong.
people who pay to not have ads are silly. people who pay to support things they like are cool. this benefits the whiskey media crew: do you really care about it that much?
Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#113  Edited By Kidavenger
RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#114  Edited By RadixNegative2
@Toms115
@Turambar said:
@Toms115 said:
I paid for a subscription so that I can support them in a way that doesnt involve sponsors and advertisers. So that content isnt dictated by sponsors and advertisers. This problem is more than just that single ad on the front page, which by the way links to a seperate site about something completely nongaming related.
BrianP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By BrianP

@Zimbo said:

@brianp said:

@Zimbo said:

Indeed. Seeing people complain about one small ad related to the community quests is quite pathetic.

Saying that just because a problem/issue isn't huge it shouldn't be discussed is the worst laziest logic.

Man, no matter how many times I read what I posted I still don't see where I said it shouldn't be discussed. I only part I see is where I said it feels kind of pathetic. I should probably get my eyes checked again.

Do you usually call things worthy of discussion pathetic? I get that you don't care about that ad, and that's fine since it's not really the biggest deal in the world, but there is nothing wrong with people having feelings about the direction of a site they feel a part of and care about.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#116  Edited By CastroCasper

Instead of making a new thread i'll just post here.

I was thinking. The live show is probably some kind of viewing party for the show, right? Well what if we all get in the chat, some of the whiskey crew is sitting around the TV, and for 22 minutes, the show falls flat on its face? Isn't it kind of risky to do a show like that? I mean, if the NSTW:SD:OMGLOL is fucking horrible, Ryan isn't going to trash it live on air right? So he will say the show is good, and people will freak the fuck out because they know he is lying. I mean if you throw up an ad and leave it at that and the show sucks, then it's the shows fault. But I mean this could potentially back-fire on whiskey media, right?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Turambar
@iAmJohn said:

No, because it's an ADVERTISEMENT. That is the point. If they're going to make it show for everyone, it makes no sense to completely rework the ad so that you can still get the quest points if you're a subscriber without seeing the ad. In fact, that would probably be a violation of whatever contract they have with Adult Swim or whoever else would be advertising. You're being needlessly pedantic for no reason other than shitty self-entitlement (which is especially baffling when you're not even a subscriber).

And hey, if you don't like it, don't do it. It's not like quests get you anything other than points on a third-party site anyway.

Go ahead and log out of your account and look at the front page.  You will notice two other ads, one as a banner on the top, and one right above the ad in question that both serve as more normal advertisements for the show.  The point of showing an ad-sponsored content to subscribers in this case should be to advertise the sponsored WM content.  That was the entire logic behind asking subscribers if they wanted to see ad-sponsored quests and the like, because they would miss out on the QUEST, not the AD.  And this ad in question fails to do so by linking you not to the live-stream, but to something off site.

And oh, I did not realize I had to be a subscriber to have an opinion this.
FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By FateOfNever
@jozzy: It is no weaker of an argument than "I saw this blurb, didn't investigate it any farther, and now this is a huge fucking deal to me so I want a refund."  Clearly no ads is a big deal to some people, enough so that even a single ad related quest is deal breaking for them.  If I was one such person, I would actually INVESTIGATE the claim before I just went "ok, yeah, sure".  This is more of a 'fine print' issue than anything.  Some people didn't investigate the fine print, and now they're bitching.  But, because we have to throw out all of the fine print at Buzzkills request, I'm just falling back on what he's falling back on - a sign up page and its wording.  Could Giant Bomb find a way to work in that fine print in a way that is more in your face?  Sure they could, but that's no grounds for a refunds claim.  Especially on something like this where the person seeking the refund would literally be keeping everything he already paid for.  He would be keeping his t-shirt, he would be keeping all of the content he's already downloaded, he would be keeping all of the Happy Hours he's already watched, so on, so forth.  

Maybe it's just this ridiculous cry for a refund that breaks the whole thing for me.  If we want to discuss the merits of Giant Bomb making the intent of the "no ads" feature more up front and clear on the sign up page or something, ok, we could have that discussion.  That doesn't seem like that's what this is though.  This completely seems like "I want something to flip out over so I can try to screw the Whiskey Media sites over."
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Turambar
@Toms115 said:
@Turambar said:
@Toms115 said:
@Turambar said:
@Toms115 said:
people who pay to not have ads are silly. people who pay to support things they like are cool. this benefits the whiskey media crew: do you really care about it that much?
Actually, yeah, I do.
pkhilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By pkhilson
@csoup said:

It's and ad for the website content, what the hell is wrong with that? That would be like being pissy that they advertise new videos on their frontpage.

The fact that it's for a TV SHOW and not a video game (website content). Should have been a Screened quest/promotion. 

What's next? "Join Jeff Gerstmann for a live streaming of GIRLS GONE WILD LAS VEGAS YEAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" and "Find 5 games with BOOBS" to tie it all in???

Slightly disappointed by Whiskey Media on this.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By iamjohn

@ashkanhoss29 said:

@Toms115
@Turambar said:
@Toms115 said:
they get money from ads. stop whining. also: that show looks pretty funny.
People pay them money to not see the ads. Complaints are perfectly valid.
I paid for a subscription so that I can support them in a way that doesnt involve sponsors and advertisers. So that content isnt dictated by sponsors and advertisers. This problem is more than just that single ad on the front page, which by the way links to a seperate site about something completely nongaming related.

And again, the fact remains that ad-quests showing up for subscribers--which was requested by people who still wanted to do these quests--has been common knowledge. You can argue that maybe they should have done a better job of emphasizing this, but when multiple people in this thread are saying "Yes, I already knew this and I don't care," chances are it's probably your fault for not knowing this.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By time allen
@ashkanhoss29 said:
@Toms115
@Turambar said:
@Toms115 said:
well you misspent your money, didn't you?  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#123  Edited By BulletproofMonk

God this thread is hilarious. Crying over some tiny fucking ads. Jesus Christ.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#124  Edited By Kidavenger

https://auth.whiskeymedia.com/support/#1-9

How come I'm still seeing ad-driven quests?

We've made the assumption that our members would be more disappointed on missing out on the extra XP and prizes that go along with ad-sponsored quests than seeing the marketing that goes along with those campaigns. In general, our No-Ad policy only covers display and video advertising and will not cover interactive contests, quests and other opportunities the whole community might benefit from.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By AlexW00d

@iAmJohn: If you weren't here during that time you wouldn't know that they said that though would you? And I do agree the refund bit is a bit too far, but it is still well within people's rights to ask for one.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By AlexW00d

@FateOfNever said:

@AlexW00d said:

-

See point 1) It says No Ads, this is not Ads, this is an Ad, singular. If he's wanting to take the wording at the most literal face value, with no outside context of what the giant bomb crew has gone on record saying, then so am I. I am saying it says No Ads, but this isn't Ads, this is one, singular, ad, so he still has no grounds to cry "refund over misleading wording". If he wants to cry for refunds over something like this, because he didn't bother gathering any information on the matter himself and only went by the most literal wording on the sign up page, then I'm going to do the same. Actually, I'm kind of surprised he's not bitching about the fact that the sign up page says "A Custom T-Shirt!" when that could be taken to mean that "I get to tell them what t-shirt design I want and they have to custom make that t-shirt for me specifically", not "I get the same old t-shirt that every other yearly subscriber gets, that's not custom at all!"

Sorry but they have to provide the extra wording in this sort of thing, not the consumer. And I don't know why the fuck you think that because it only a single ad it makes no difference, it is only one ad now yes, but who is to say this will the only one? AND when it is one thing is still comes under the multiple part.

And the t shirt analogy is also terrible. 'No ads' very obviously means not a single advertisement. Where as a custom t shirt means a t shirt that someone has designed. Literally as simple as that.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By FateOfNever
@Kidavenger said:

We've made the assumption that our members would be more disappointed on missing out on the extra XP and prizes that go along with ad-sponsored quests than seeing the marketing that goes along with those campaigns. In general, our No-Ad policy only covers display and video advertising and will not cover interactive contests, quests and other opportunities the whole community might benefit from.

Whoa, whoa, whoa now.  You can't go bringing in fine print into this argument.  Leave your rational argument at the door.  We're only supposed to talk about what the very first sign up screen says and nothing else.  (I'm kidding, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Buzzkill come back in here saying how that doesn't count because the first sign up screen promised him something different.) 
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By iamjohn

@Turambar said:

@iAmJohn said:

Go ahead and log out of your account and look at the front page. You will notice two other ads, one as a banner on the top, and one right above the ad in question that both serve as more normal advertisements for the show. The point of showing an ad-sponsored content to subscribers in this case should be to advertise the sponsored WM content. That was the entire logic behind asking subscribers if they wanted to see ad-sponsored quests and the like, because they would miss out on the QUEST, not the AD. And this ad in question fails to do so by linking you not to the live-stream, but to something off site. And oh, I did not realize I had to be a subscriber to have an opinion this.

Funny how it's doing that - it's advertising the livestream of Ryan and co. watching this silly show, to the point where you can't even complete the set because there is quest for watching the livestream. Additionally, it's doing exactly what subscribers who still want to see ad-quests wanted in giving them the sponsored WM content they want to see (and yes, quests are content). Yes, there is a quest revolving around clicking an outside link, just as there was with the Best Buy quest set; again, that's the point of an ad-quest - it's a fucking advertisement. What a fucking shock that this advertisement that people still wanted to see so they could get the quest points is still going to be an advertisement and that Whiskey is not going to spend the resources to come up with new code that lets subscribers get these advertising-supported quests without seeing the advertising, which, again, would almsot guaranteedly violate any advertising contract you would come up with.

And yeah, if you're going to be bitching about the terrible way they are fleecing subscribers with this awful deal that was common knowledge, it does help to actually be putting your money where your mouth is, yes.

@PKHilson said:

Should have been a screened quest/promotion.

It is a Screened quest, actually. It's a cross-site quest. Because, you know, those were the terms of their advertising contract.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By imsh_pl
@Kidavenger said:

@FateOfNever said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa now.  You can't go bringing in fine print into this argument.  Leave your rational argument at the door.  We're only supposed to talk about what the very first sign up screen says and nothing else.  (I'm kidding, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Buzzkill come back in here saying how that doesn't count because the first sign up screen promised him something different.) 

He's not talking about the ad-based quests, he's talking about the big-ass banner. You know, the one that is circled with the giant red ring in the opening post.
No Caption Provided
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By iamjohn

@imsh_pl: Wow, it's almost like the banner is part of the ad-based quest set. Are we really moving the goalposts of this idiot fucking argument that much to the point where the argument is now that these quests are fine so long as we don't have to see the banner above it?

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By FateOfNever
@imsh_pl: That has always been part of the ad-driven quests though.  It was there for the Best Buy one too.  It falls under the ad-driven quest category. 
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#132  Edited By mfpantst

heyo that's Ryan?

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By FateOfNever
@AlexW00d said:

@FateOfNever said:

@AlexW00d said:

-

See point 1) It says No Ads, this is not Ads, this is an Ad, singular. If he's wanting to take the wording at the most literal face value, with no outside context of what the giant bomb crew has gone on record saying, then so am I. I am saying it says No Ads, but this isn't Ads, this is one, singular, ad, so he still has no grounds to cry "refund over misleading wording". If he wants to cry for refunds over something like this, because he didn't bother gathering any information on the matter himself and only went by the most literal wording on the sign up page, then I'm going to do the same. Actually, I'm kind of surprised he's not bitching about the fact that the sign up page says "A Custom T-Shirt!" when that could be taken to mean that "I get to tell them what t-shirt design I want and they have to custom make that t-shirt for me specifically", not "I get the same old t-shirt that every other yearly subscriber gets, that's not custom at all!"

Sorry but they have to provide the extra wording in this sort of thing, not the consumer. And I don't know why the fuck you think that because it only a single ad it makes no difference, it is only one ad now yes, but who is to say this will the only one? AND when it is one thing is still comes under the multiple part.

And the t shirt analogy is also terrible. 'No ads' very obviously means not a single advertisement. Where as a custom t shirt means a t shirt that someone has designed. Literally as simple as that.

They DID provide the extra wording though.  That's the point!  Buzzkill is focusing on one, single spot of the no ad argument, the first sign-up page.  Anything beyond that is discredited.  Including the question talking about THIS VERY SUBJECT in the FAQ for signing up for a subscription.  That's why I made that dumb-ass post.  I figure if Buzzkill is going to come in here with a half ass argument that already has an answer to it from the Whiskey Media team, why shouldn't I come in with just as ridiculous of a retort? 
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Turambar
@Kidavenger said:

That statement would suggest in the inclusion of ad-sponsored quests for subscribers will place the primary emphasis on the quest, secondary emphasis on the advertised product.  The ad in question has it every much backwards, with the emphasis being directing you to an off-site location.  A better way of handling it would have been making the ad link to a page for the live stream with another ad located on that page that goes off-site.  WM content needs to get top billing in any ad-sponsored quests and such.
FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By FateOfNever
@Turambar said:
@Kidavenger said:

That statement would suggest in the inclusion of ad-sponsored quests for subscribers will place the primary emphasis on the quest, secondary emphasis on the advertised product.  The ad in question has it every much backwards, with the emphasis being directing you to an off-site location.  A better way of handling it would have been making the ad link to a page for the live stream with another ad located on that page that goes off-site.  WM content needs to get top billing in any ad-sponsored quests and such.

Except then people would be bitching that the live stream page has an ad on it that goes against their "no-ads" policy. 
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Turambar
@FateOfNever said:
@Turambar said:
@Kidavenger said:

Except then people would be bitching that the live stream page has an ad on it that goes against their "no-ads" policy. 
If that's your retort, then you've already lost the argument.
FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By FateOfNever
@Turambar said:
@FateOfNever said:
@Turambar said:
@Kidavenger said:

If that's your retort, then you've already lost the argument.

If you have no retort, then I've already won.
Duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#138  Edited By Duffman

My solution:  if there are ad quests at the front of the site, I will turn on adblock+ because it shows the quests with it on.  When the quest isn't at the front, I turn it back off.

Either way I'm still letting ads cover for me not having a subscription.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#139  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Who fucking cares. You subscribe because you want these guys making more content. An occasional ad or two won't kill your experience.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By jozzy

I am still opting for an option if you want those ad-related quests, that way everyone is happy. It's easy to say the majority wants them, and I bet it's true too. But there will be people who really want no adds, even quests, and this option will be for them. Yes making it costs a bit of time and resources, but it would be worth it because the slippery slope is gone.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By imsh_pl
@FateOfNever said:
The "no-ads" policy refers to GiantBomb, not other sites.

The point Buzzkill, Turambar and other people here are making is that the banner in question's purpose is to advertise the adult swim site. It is not gaming related, and it does not redirect to the stream Ryan is supposed to be starring in. It does not have to be there in he first place, the quest could easily contain the link in the quest description.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By SomeJerk

Oh no 56000 pixels of my life I will never get back, whatever will I do

And if you run adblock on a good site with trusted ad providers you're a douchebag who doesn't deserve to use a good site.

e: It should be on the other WM sites though and not just this, because the stream it hints about is a Screened special right?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By RE_Player1

While I do not mind having the ad quest there as it isn't that offensive I would prefer to have a switch to turn it off. I'm not really interested in quests anyway.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#144  Edited By MayorFeedback

Oh, no, "ads" supporting something I want to stay in business (hence giving them a bunch of my money directly last year). How inconvenient for me?

As a subscriber, why would I not want to know that was happening? Even if it's a paid thing, it's a brilliant advertising idea for the site and fits perfectly with Whiskey Media style. So, I for one am grateful there's a banner ad there letting me know about it, and happy to have a little more XP in my quest box. This sounds like a win-win for everyone.

I'll save my anger for something just a tad bit more worthy of it, thanks.

Seriously, how the fuck is that thing intrusive at all? An embarrassment of dumbness going on in this thread, and not the good kind.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By lockwoodx

I'm not pursuing any sort of refund less I continue to see the ad next week, and I'm still a subscriber. If they want to keep the ad and refund me, I'm totally cool with it. If they want to remove the ad, or give subscribers away to not view them, I'll accept that solution too. I don't go out of my way to do the quests and thought they were a tad on the dumb side but I'm not here to shit on quests, or the paper thin tee-shirt some of you have also brought up.

Two of my biggest pet peeves are advertisements of any kind, and being lied to. (lied is a harsh word because it implies malicious intent but it's the word I used so deal with it) Giantbomb managed to do both at once so I'm calling this one out. If they pull the ad, they could breach a contract and lose tons of money. If they give me a refund, then they admit there was a "mistake" and could have to retroactively refund every subscriber who felt "misled" despite whatever policy they hold. It's a tough situation I wish them the best of luck with while they sort things out.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By FateOfNever
@imsh_pl said:
@FateOfNever said:
The "no-ads" policy refers to GiantBomb, not other sites.

The point Buzzkill, Turambar and other people here are making is that the banner in question's purpose is to advertise the adult swim site. It is not gaming related, and it does not redirect to the stream Ryan is supposed to be starring in. It does not have to be there in he first place, the quest could easily contain the link in the quest description.

Except that, either that stream takes you to the adult swim site (in which case we would still be where we are at now), or the stream will lead you (more probably) to one of the many whiskey media /chat pages - which, guess what, ARE still whiskey media sites, therefore, people would still complain.  If you go to giantbomb.com/chat, and see an ad, that is still seeing an ad on a giant bomb page.  Which would still apply to screened.com/chat, tested.com/chat, comicvine.com/chat, animevice.com/chat.  So people would still be bitching.  And, in fact, the wording of the reply in the FAQ pretty much says that this is what you can expect.  In no way, when reading it, does it give the impression that subscribers will be 100% free from any of the advertising that comes in the ad related quests.  People can get that out of it, but that's not what it says.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Turambar
@iAmJohn said:

Funny how it's doing that - it's advertising the livestream of Ryan and co. watching this silly show, to the point where you can't even complete the set because there is quest for watching the livestream. Additionally, it's doing exactly what subscribers who still want to see ad-quests wanted in giving them the sponsored WM content they want to see (and yes, quests are content). Yes, there is a quest revolving around clicking an outside link, just as there was with the Best Buy quest set; again, that's the point of an ad-quest - it's a fucking advertisement. What a fucking shock that this advertisement that people still wanted to see so they could get the quest points is still going to be an advertisement and that Whiskey is not going to spend the resources to come up with new code that lets subscribers get these advertising-supported quests without seeing the advertising, which, again, would almsot guaranteedly violate any advertising contract you would come up with.

And yeah, if you're going to be bitching about the terrible way they are fleecing subscribers with this awful deal that was common knowledge, it does help to actually be putting your money where your mouth is, yes.

Clicking on the ad brings you to the adultswim website.  There are no indications on the advertisement image, nor the destination of any quest sets. 

Sponsored content that are shown to subscribers should be done in a way that the content is emphasized first.  That is to say, when clicked upon, it should direct you to an internal WM page, probably a page for the live stream, instead of an adult-swim page, as I've stated in a previous post.

Lastly, I do not believe I have "bitched about the terrible way they are fleecing subsribers."  You are free to point out which posts actually voice such sentiments.  I feel that this is a poorly done piece of ad when place in conjunction with the logic behind showing sponsored-content ads to subscribers in the first place.  I am very ok with pointing that out without being a subscriber myself.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By iamjohn

@Buzzkill said:

Two of my biggest pet peeves are advertisements of any kind, and being lied to. Giantbomb managed to do both at once so I'm calling this one out.

Oh shut the fuck up. As I and a ton of people have said numerous times already, they didn't lie to you. Ad-quests still being visible if you're a subscriber is common fucking knowledge. It's even in the Christ-forsaking subscriber FAQ. It's your own fault that you didn't know this. Stop being such a whiner.

CrazedMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By CrazedMaverick

@Turambar said:

@Kidavenger said:

That statement would suggest in the inclusion of ad-sponsored quests for subscribers will place the primary emphasis on the quest, secondary emphasis on the advertised product. The ad in question has it every much backwards, with the emphasis being directing you to an off-site location. A better way of handling it would have been making the ad link to a page for the live stream with another ad located on that page that goes off-site. WM content needs to get top billing in any ad-sponsored quests and such.

The statement doesn't suggest anything about emphasis. Though it does say anything ad related to a quest will show up. You're arguing about petty details on a banner, a banner that is quest related. A subscription doesn't give you the right to tell them how to run the site.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By MisterChief

Advertising shouldn't dictate content production.