• 74 results
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Enigma777

How do you setup and play games? Do you check the achievement list beforehand, mess with the control scheme or tweak the brightness? Maybe you still read the manual?

For example I always turn on the subtitles. Doesn't matter if the voiceovers are in English, Bavarian or Swahili, I simply can't stand to play without them.  

So what about you? 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

I always head to the options menu first. 
I like to tap the shoulder buttons to some random tune during loading times. 
Never not taking the opposite route of where I need to go during the game.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By animateria

Options first. 

Audio first. 

Subtitles first. 

Always go the wrong way first (Then sometimes it turns out to be the right way and if I can't go back, I just reload.)

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Marcsman

Wake bake and shake
Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Christoffer

I'm an audiophile so I tend to mess with the sound a bit. Often turning down the music and the voice... then turning up the headphone amp to perfectly hear the sound effects shooting straight into my brain. 

Other than that, nothing.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MikkaQ

I always got to options first, see what I can mess with. Definitely need those subtitles, I just can't follow dialogue with explosions and gunfire or whatnot all around me. 

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By fwylo

I never check the options. Just hop right in.  But first thing I do when I'm actually in to gameplay after cutscenes and shit is push every button and see what it does. 

I always make fun of the game and talk to myself when I'm playing, getting excited and crazy is hilarious sometimes.  I make myself laugh.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

I generally check the options and extras menus first, just to see what's there, if nothing else.

When I was a kid, I used to read the text dialogue in RPGs out loud.  I drove my younger brother nuts doing that.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Dingofighter

I always check the options, usually to turn on subtitles.

NinjaTard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By NinjaTard

Subtitles are a must. Sometimes I turn the difficulty down if I know I'm going to suck or I just want to play for the story on my first playthrough. I tweak brightness and basically just check the options menu first. I also take the box sealer tape, that clear sticky label that keeps the box closed, and stick it on my wall. Been doing this since I started doing DVDs and Playstation one games and it's gotten pretty crowded on the wall. 

In game "things" I do is check the achievement list once something pops up, even if it's obvious I just beat the level and earned it. With RPGs I hit the attack button just as my character hits the monster as I always think it's going to deal extra damage if I time it just right. That's just one of those reinforcement things from back in my ChronoTrigger days. I name all of my characters after Movie Characters or names that really don't fit the look (like Fritz or Sven for bulky muscle men and Hugo or Ahnold for wimpy guys).
dfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dfox

Adjust the game on the fly. I just start playing and change as I go from the pause menu.

HHAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HHAP

Look at options/settings to set things how I would want it.  I used to read the manual from start to finish, until I began noticing that most games starting to offer in-game tutorials.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ares42

I'm used to going options first from being a long time PC gamer, but I've finally realized that console games never ever have anything worthwhile to configure so I just go straight for it. I've usually checked out the achievement list before I get the game though :P

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Maluvin

Add me to the list of people who turn on subtitles right away.  Always.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

I check the achievements to see whether they update in real-time, or they just open the guide button's achievement list. 
In game I always reload after getting a kill in shooters, and press buttons when hits land for Ultras in Super SFIV.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Jeust
@Enigma777 said:
"I always turn on the subtitles. Doesn't matter if the voiceovers are in English, Bavarian or Swahili, I simply can't stand to play without them.    So what about you?  "
Me too.  

And I generally play, laying in bed. ^^
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Animasta

not me, but my dad has the worst: whenever he's on a breakaway in football or something, he will always ALWAYS move the controller the way the dude's running.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By CastroCasper

If I go out and buy a game the first thing I do is rip it open and read the manuel. Then about 90% of the time I am disappointed because it is just two black and white pages of seizure warnings and the button layout.  

I also used to check the achievements before I played to see if there were any missable ones but I find that too many games spoil parts of their game with achievements and achievement names.

Mr_Shenanigans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mr_Shenanigans

When there is a loading screen, I constantly click the mouse buttons. This also goes for when I am respawning in TF2.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By ProfessorEss

I used to be an options checker, and a manual reader but a while back I turned in a "jump right in" kinda guy.

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By s7evn

I generally mess with the graphics, turn on subtitles, and then launch to test the newly configured graphics.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Arbie

I don't actually do anything but jump right into the game...and then think "hey, what, I don't know what their saying" and turn on the subtitles. I really should start doing that before beginning the game!

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Enigma777
@kurtdyoung said:
" If I go out and buy a game the first thing I do is rip it open and read the manuel. Then about 90% of the time I am disappointed because it is just two black and white pages of seizure warnings and the button layout.   I also used to check the achievements before I played to see if there were any missable ones but I find that too many games spoil parts of their game with achievements and achievement names. "
I used to do that too. I wouldn't even touch a game before I finished the manual, but now they're just sad. Black and white and only a couple pages long (I've seen some that are just a single sheet folded in half). There's not even a page for your notes anymore! Hell the AC Brotherhood one flat out states: "The instruction manual for this game is conveniently embedded within the game itself."
Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By Bennyishere

I check if subtitles are on as default and activate them if they are not. That's usually all I do, unless it's a game like Call of Duty where I prefer a certain sensitivity setting or control scheme that is not default. I tend to put the sensitivity on shooters one notch up even if I've never played the game before.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

Always be checking options -> graphic settings & other goodies.

Bonsai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bonsai

Whenever I get to a really exciting moment in a game I tend to stand up until it's over.

No idea why.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By Skald

I usually switch to my pistol, first thing.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jking47

I am one of the ones who always needs subtitles, and I will usually check the controller layout options to try and find a better one.  

Also, any shooter gets its sensitivity bumped up to max, and I work my way down from there if its too jerky. I grew up playing CS =)

MXC361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By MXC361
@Guyzea said:
"Before playing a game for the first time, I tbag the game for about a minute and proceed to playing. "

This.
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I always play games for the first time when I am completely alone. I load up the game, go to the options, and make sure subtitles are turned OFF. Then I start a new game on the normal/default difficulty.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mighty

I always turn on subtitles.
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By csl316

Check achievements, Options, Music up, Hardest mode available, go!
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Subtitles

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Andorski

My weirdest quirk: I research the achievements/trophies and figure out what percentage of them that I will likely get when I play the game.  If I think that percentage is significantly before 50%, I play the game on a throw-away XBL/PSN account that I have for guests who play on my consoles. 

I just don't like having games on my console accounts where I have little to no achievements on.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#37  Edited By Siphillis

I will invariably stop playing a game about an hour before the ending.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mazik765
@Enigma777 said:
"For example I always turn on the subtitles. Doesn't matter if the voiceovers are in English, Bavarian or Swahili, I simply can't stand to play without them."
This for me too.
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#39  Edited By StarvingGamer

Game comes in the mail to work
Read the manual fervently for the next 8 hours until I get to go home
Go to options and change the controls when applicable
Go to options and turn on subtitles when applicable
Start new game (with difficulty set to ~Hard when applicable)

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I always mess around with the resolution (for PC) and graphics setting as soon as I start the game.

In fact, I change the game settings and the settings on my TV once about every 5 hours when I'm playing any game.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CastroCasper
@Enigma777 said:
" @kurtdyoung said:
" If I go out and buy a game the first thing I do is rip it open and read the manuel. Then about 90% of the time I am disappointed because it is just two black and white pages of seizure warnings and the button layout.   I also used to check the achievements before I played to see if there were any missable ones but I find that too many games spoil parts of their game with achievements and achievement names. "
I used to do that too. I wouldn't even touch a game before I finished the manual, but now they're just sad. Black and white and only a couple pages long (I've seen some that are just a single sheet folded in half). There's not even a page for your notes anymore! Hell the AC Brotherhood one flat out states: "The instruction manual for this game is conveniently embedded within the game itself." "
I was thinking exactly of AC:B when talking about the manuel (or lack of). It is such a bummer, I love huge manuals with pictures and crazy background stores and hints and tips. It almost makes me want to go buy a strategy guide just for that nostalgic feeling.
rb_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By rb_man

Set resolution to 1920x1080, textures to high, and draw distance to as high as I can get it.

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By blueaniman93

whenever i play a game 
i always watch the clip before the game title screen (that can be skipped by pressing a button) 
for some reason, those clips are pretty important to me (tatsunoko v capcom is one of the best) 
i also check all of the options in a game every time i start up the game 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CL60

I always turn the brightness up slightly for some reason.

velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By velucyraptor

I peel off every sticker on the game case/box, flip through the manual in the vague hope of its containing anything substantial, suppress a squeal if there's a map of the game world, then load the game &sit through the entire set of pre title screen animations before digging into the options menu. 
During gameplay, this: 

@animateria said:

"...  Always go the wrong way first (Then sometimes it turns out to be the right way and if I can't go back, I just reload.) "
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By McGhee
@Enigma777:  
I always turn the subtitles OFF. Something about words constantly draw my eyes. So no matter what's happening on the screen, my eyes will constantly fixate on the subtitles. If I can hear everything why would I want that distraction? I often increase voice volume and decrease music volume a little to make sure I can hear the words well.
WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

I have started turning on the subtitles for most games even though I wear headphones when I'm playing games. Curiously some dialogue is hidden or otherwise not heard without subtitles, playing through Dead Space 2 is a good example of this; a monitor plays mostly static but with subtitles turned on you can see the message that had been recorded. 

Autosave off, don't tell me when to save!

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By FesteringNeon

Usually go to control settings to invert Y. Depending on the game i'll start it up and customize a character for quite awhile until I get them looking silly. Dive in, and learn/adjust on the fly. 

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49  Edited By GeekDown

I jump right in and play for about an hour or so. Then I check the achievements. I mostly don't bother with the options, only if the contoller sensitivity is too low.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Subtitles.
Invert some camera controls.
Put it on hard.
Check the achievement list during the first load screen.