Geoff Keighley Rips on Interviewer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#351  Edited By Spoonman671

Did the VGAs rape this guy's mother?  He should probably stop acting like they did.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#352  Edited By jakob187
@HubrisRanger said:

" This douche (Angry Joe) is from Austin?  I feel deeply ashamed and partially responsible. "

I feel the same way. 

The minute that he started the interview with "I've got a bone to pick with this guy...", I paused and said "who the fuck does this twat think he is?". 

Also, GEOFF IS THE EXECUTIVE PRODUCER OF THE SHOW!!!  He's got other shit to be doing, like making sure his show goes off without a hitch. 

I will say that I kind of hate how the VGAs portray the world of gaming to the rest of the world, but at the same time, we feed into that idea and stereotype on a regular basis.  I mean, fuck...look at the Giant Bomb forums alone.  We talk about NAKED CARTOON PUSSY and post Photoshopped pictures of the staff.  We post retarded videos and laugh at dumb shit.  What else would Geoff or anyone else involved with the VGAs be expected to do?  They want to appeal to a wide audience.  It's business, and that's the nature of the beast.  Luckily, we also have Bonus Round, which is a fantastic show that Geoff hosts on the regular. 

In the end, Joe is one of the worst representations of "journalism" out there.  He's just a guy that runs a website.  That's it.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#353  Edited By Jeffsekai
@jakob187 said:
" @HubrisRanger said:
" This douche (Angry Joe) is from Austin?  I feel deeply ashamed and partially responsible. "
I feel the same way.  The minute that he started the interview with "I've got a bone to pick with this guy...", I paused and said "who the fuck does this twat think he is?". "
HES ANGRY JOE BRO
PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#354  Edited By PillClinton

that's just a sad video.  plain and simple.  both of those dudes are jerks.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#355  Edited By AuthenticM
@RollingZeppelin said:
" The first thing Joe said to Geoff was "the VGA's suck". How can you expect Geoff to give him any respect after opening like that?  

The worst thing about this is the video itself. Joe puts up a 20 minute long rant about how butthurt he is after getting his ass handed to him. How is that professional in the slightest? If he acted like a man and not a whiny highschooler who thinks the world owes him everything, then he would have sucked it up, accepted that the interview went bad, not posted anything at all, and continued on with his career as an amateur games journalist.   You can only expect respect if you show some yourself, this guy opened with a dick move and ended with a pathetic one. His whole situation is faceplam worthy, don't go crying to your viewers if you cant figure out how to conduct a proper interview. "
I approve this message!
CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356  Edited By CaptainCody

I can't believed I watched this unbearable shit, and I don't feel like reiterating what's been said about Angry Joe. This has in no way changed my opinion of Geoff who I still think is alright but he has his flaws. If the questions were asked by a real journalist like one of the many here at Giant Bomb, things probably would have gone differently.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357  Edited By kishan6

ya i think angry joe mishandled this... a lot. 
geoff was at fault also but not nearly as much

NeVeRMoRe666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358  Edited By NeVeRMoRe666
@Shrevey3: It's an award show. It's less of a "super-bowl" and more of a way for the industry to pat itself in the back (like the Oscars). More often then not, they try to do it so everyone gets an award. Honestly, don't take it so seriously, it isn't worth it.
NeVeRMoRe666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359  Edited By NeVeRMoRe666
@Dany: After watching that video, I don't know how anyone can hate Geoff as much as they do. I mean, if we really did need a "champion" I much prefer someone who's quick witted, cool and knowledgable rather than err...Joe.
audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#360  Edited By audiosnag

Joe needs some pointers from this guy 
Far more professional.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#361  Edited By FreakAche

Yikes, that video is unwatchable. Why does this Angry Joe guy have that ridiculous sense of self-importance?

Tonic7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362  Edited By Tonic7
@poser said:
" Note: that I only watched the video and haven't read all 17 pages of this. 

I think Geoff Keighley and Cliff  Bleszinski represent everything that is wrong with video games at the moment. But this interview was terrible, he just came off as an idiot and made Geoff look good.  The whole thing  reminded of the video below... but with more yelling....

"
Thank God for this. As most people understand, sometimes humor adds the perfect perspective. Again, thank you sir.
NeVeRMoRe666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363  Edited By NeVeRMoRe666

Actually, having watched this video, I kinda feel sorry for him. He was so excited to go...

:(

Act

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#364  Edited By FancySoapsMan

he wouldn't shut up about final fantasy xiv

what a dumbass

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#365  Edited By ZmillA

omg this great. I love this video. he get so pissed off and geoff is DA MAIN MANG!!

no but serisouly geoff is great. Very interesting dude.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366  Edited By UnrealDP

I only got like 5 minutes in, but Geoff seems like the kind of guy that would be deftly busy at the VGAs and for every "Angry Joe" there's a dozen other people he's got to get around to. Giving them all more than ten minutes would be a goddamn shit show and I can sympathize with needing to attentive to all that goes on around you in a semi high risk VGA. Geoff was kind of a dick though and he defiantly could of put more of an effort into at least pretending to give this blogger the time of day.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367  Edited By Dany

This is a year old now...

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#368  Edited By landon

@ZmillA said:

omg this great. I love this video. he get so pissed off and geoff is DA MAIN MANG!!

no but serisouly geoff is great. Very interesting dude.

This is old fucking news, why did you bring this thread back? Jesus, no one cares about your 11 month old opinion.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369  Edited By DonPixel

Angry Joe appears to be suffering from a deep case of inferiority complex

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Oh man that was great. How had I never seen this? +100 respect for Geoff.

@jasonr86 said:

Joe is still pretty new to gaming journalism and has a lot to learn. I think he feels like he's earned the right to certain privileges that he really doesn't have. Unless you're very well known in the industry, most journalists aren't given sit down interviews. The simple fact is that Joe's site doesn't get the traffic sites like ign, giantbomb, and 1up get. Those bigger sites have something to offer in return for a sit down interview; publicity. Joe and his site don't have anything that can compare.

That said, if Joe was promised a sit down interview (as he claims) then he should have been given that interview. I assume Geoff was the one that promised that interview. No matter what field you're in (business or any other field) if you make a promise you need to keep it. If Geoff never planned on give that sit down interview Joe should have known before going to the show. In fact, Joe should have known everything before going to the show. Meaning, he should have known where he was going to be located on the red carpet relative to the other press. He should have been told what to expect. These things would have given Joe realistic expectations about the show rather then letting him think he'll be treated in the way that he apparently thought he would.

Joe was in over his head and Geoff didn't care about the interview. Joe felt provoked and acted poorly. Geoff didn't attend, at all, to the interview unless it was to belittle Joe. Both ended up looking unprofessional to me. Joe needs to learn how to be a professional journalist and interviewer and Geoff needs to learn how to treat everyone as equals as everyone can, eventually, offer something to whatever it is that you're involved in. For Joe, that would have been his fans (regardless of whether or not those fans appear to be a small minority or not). The way that Geoff acted, Joe's fans will probably stay away from anything relating to Geoff like he's the plague. I know that Joe's fans make up a small population but if Geoff were to act this way to enough people with sites like Joe's the viewership of Geoff's projects (be it the VGAs, his site, GTTV) would eventually be hurt (either by not expanding or even losing some of his audience). In the grand scheme of tings, Joe's site and his fans is a small blip on Geoff's radar. But small blips can add up quickly.

lol

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

I had never heard of Angry Joe until now. I liked it better that way.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372  Edited By bigjeffrey

@dany said:

This is a year old now...

Now it's Back 1 Year and 8 months later

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Herpy Derpy.. Necroposting much? 2 year old thread about a 5 year old video.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

At least we can compare and contrast and see that Angry Joe is still quite terrible as most YouTubers.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@hanssatori said:

At least we can compare and contrast and see that Angry Joe is still quite terrible as most YouTubers.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376  Edited By geirr

I'm too old for this shit; and I'm guessing great and well-developed characters like Angry Joe might make Geoff feel the the same.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377  Edited By TheHT

@bigjeffrey: every time i see that kid, which is twice now, i think it's young brad (shoemaker).

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

WHO WON IN THE END ANGRY JOE OR GEOFF??? I THINK WE KNOW THE ANSWER

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ddddddddddddd digital animals freaky folks

dehdehdehdehdehdehdehdeh digital animals freaky folks

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@hanssatori said:

No freaking way. Joe actually admitted his idiocy from that interview. Go to 19:50 in this video.

And Geoff isn't a very nice person. Guy's a bloody sell out, as you can see here:

Loading Video...

SneakyPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow that angry joe guy is a total piece of shit

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tru3_blu3: If he's a sellout then I guess GB is too since they have ads too and at one point had a Halo ODST border ad.

Ads let people do what they are good at. Jeff said it best on one of the bombcasts, you either get Doritos and Mountain Dew or you have some game dev behind you. Which would you rather have?

Go read his "Final Hours of..." The dude is a good writer and interviewer.

jimmy_p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So who wins? A soulless corporate sellout, a internet reviewer with downs or the guy who bumped this thread? Nobody.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

After watching the video I actually like Geoff more. Angry Joe was the combatative ass who was unprepared for the interview.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does this thread keep getting brought back up? At this point the show in question is 2 years old...

Seems like angry joe is still bad at interviews but I digress.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387  Edited By MiniPato

@tru3_blu3:

Being a sellout = not being nice? Sorry, but other than that Angry Joe incident (which he was justified in being a dick), I haven't really seen him be not nice except in interviews where he pushes for answers, but that's just being a good interviewer and sometimes you gotta be forceful.

I never understand why people seem to hate Geoff Keighly. He always seemed like he knew what he was talking about. Even more so when he was on the E3 bombcast and sharing his own opinion and knowledge as opposed to his usual moderation of other people's opinions. It showed that the dude genuinely cares about games. Don't act just cause he's in the flashy production side of things that he is just faking enthusiasm and knowledge. How exactly do you even sellout in this line of work anyways? This is the internet. Websites, games websites especially, thrive off of advertising. Even Giantbomb as of late admits that subscribers aren't enough and still rely heavily on advertising. They paywall content and still rely heavily on ads, so what say you to Giantbomb?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minipato said:

@tru3_blu3:

Being a sellout = not being nice? Sorry, but other than that Angry Joe incident (which he was justified in being a dick), I haven't really seen him be not nice except in interviews where he pushes for answers, but that's just being a good interviewer and sometimes you gotta be forceful.

I never understand why people seem to hate Geoff Keighly. He always seemed like he knew what he was talking about. Even more so when he was on the E3 bombcast and sharing his own opinion and knowledge as opposed to his usual moderation of other people's opinions. It showed that the dude genuinely cares about games. Don't act just cause he's in the flashy production side of things that he is just faking enthusiasm and knowledge. How exactly do you even sellout in this line of work anyways? This is the internet. Websites, games websites especially, thrive off of advertising. Even Giantbomb as of late admits that subscribers aren't enough and still rely heavily on advertising. They paywall content and still rely heavily on ads, so what say you to Giantbomb?

I'm still waiting for Giantbomb to have videos with bill boards of corporate sponsoring in the background. It's all a conspiracy. Just you wait...

(But really, why are we even comparing Giantbomb to Keighly? Just, look at that fucking video of his!)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#389  Edited By Humanity

@tru3_blu3 said:

@minipato said:

@tru3_blu3:

I'm still waiting for Giantbomb to have videos with bill boards of corporate sponsoring in the background. It's all a conspiracy. Just you wait...

(But really, why are we even comparing Giantbomb to Keighly? Just, look at that fucking video of his!)

Because Keighly is a really good writer and games journalist. He manages to maintain a TV friendly persona while still asking real questions that actually matter. Instead of looking at that oh-so-popular video of him with the Doritos ads why don't you check out his interviews with Reggie where he tries to cut through his PR bullshit and get some straight answers (usually to no avail). I imagine it's not easy conducting these interviews where he knows the game developer or PR guy can't say anything of worth so he has to come up with intelligent questions that they can answer. He might come off as a little stiff but don't get that confused with a lack of integrity.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen the video, but Geoff Keighly seems to be increasingly acting like more and more of a dick in recent times.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snail said:

I haven't seen the video, but Snail seems to be increasingly acting like more and more of a dick in recent times.

mbr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jimmy_p said:

So who wins? A soulless corporate sellout, a internet reviewer with downs or the guy who bumped this thread? Nobody.

Close this thread. Everything that needed to be said has been said now.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmy_p said:

DUH

No Caption Provided

jimmy_p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394  Edited By jimmy_p

@bigjeffrey: My sincere apologies, thy holyness the Doritos Pope. Your name will not be taken in vain again.

forever and ever,
holy gamer fuel

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just me or has "reviving year old threads" become a trend on this forum? Maybe I don't pay close enough attention but I don't remember this happening that often.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396  Edited By bigjeffrey

@jimmy_p said:

@bigjeffrey: My sincere apologies, thy holyness the Doritos Pope. Your name will not be taken in vain again.

forever and ever,

holy gamer fuel

YOU MUST TRAVEL TO YOUR LOCAL TB, AND REQUEST PENANCE. ONLY THEN WILL YOU BE FORIVEN

SAY 3 KEIGHLEY'S IN A ROW AFTER

S
S

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Is it just me or has "reviving year old threads" become a trend on this forum? Maybe I don't pay close enough attention but I don't remember this happening that often.

Yeah it is. It's really annoying. I wonder if there is a way of auto-locking inactive threads so that this stops happening

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On other sites they auto lock threads over a year or 2 old that are inactive.

Anyway, i think anybody with "angry" or "annoyed" in their "name" can easily be ignored if they try to come off as actual journalists. Geoff seems alright, i'm sure trying to host and manage a show like that, and getting hammered by an internet troll would make anybody a little snarky.

I remember GB having some articles on how bad that VGA was that year (might have been 2011 not sure), it was bad but what they are trying to do is pretty hard and probably impossible honestly. I don't think sitting in front of mountain dew(well maybe the fact they had the halo promotion) and doritos adds is selling out, they were trying to bridge the gap between games and mainstream television (which obviously doesn't work as we saw with G4) and i think they tried to address a lot of the issues and still tried (still failed) to make an entertaining show. You need sponsors, that's how television and websites work.

Sure video game awards show's should be about the developers, but at the same time most developers(beyond a few) are just normal folks who don't make for tv personalities. I think it may just be impossible to bring that to the mainstream, it's like if the Emmy awards had no actors and just special effects teams, nobody would watch.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Sure video game awards show's should be about the developers, but at the same time most developers(beyond a few) are just normal folks who don't make for tv personalities.

And I can't help but assume most of those developers are more than happy if the VGAs accomplish nothing more than promoting their industry, products and jobs.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Wow, Joe got fat.