PC version now WORTHLESS. No mods OR dedicated servers!

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills

402 was meant to have said it on a chat thing and is also on this podcast(Very first subject).  http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2369799

This is utterly insane for a PC game. I'm no longer buying this piece of shit. Fuck Activision to hell. No mods is bad, but I can live without. Dedicated servers are the bread and butter of a PC online game. Fucking...fuck!

Edit: To make it clear: 100% confirmed no dedicated servers, server list, mods and will be matchmaking only.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I will not be supporting Activision in anyway, the only thing related to them that I will buy will be Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

hmmm i didn't hear it....ill wait till a text announcement comes up.

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By ieatlions

you invalidate all your arguments by ending with fucking ... fuck!
 @Bucketdeth: its not really related more like they own diablo 3 and  starcraft 2. 
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By beargirl1

are you serious? how the fuck can they do that to the PC VERSION?  
and it's 10 dollars extra too. 

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By metal_mills
@ieatlions said:
"you invalidate all your arguments by ending with fucking ... fuck! "

There was no argument. It was news, bad news which is why I'm annoyed. Read the post before posting crap in a thread. Thanks.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

I don't really think that CoD4 honestly had much benefit from the mod community personally.  However, the idea of not having dedicated servers is DEFINITELY an issue!  So what's it going to be then?  I create a game and host it on my computer?  My goodness...

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By flaminghobo

How can they do this to a PC game? This is ridiculous.

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ieatlions
@Metal_Mills:
Your argument is that your not buying " this piece of shit ." game  due to the fact that it doesnt have dedicated server support or mods.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By natetodamax

When you say there won't be any dedicated servers, does that mean that all matches will be hosted? That's dumb

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By metal_mills
@natetodamax said:
"When you say there won't be any dedicated servers, does that mean that all matches will be hosted? That's dumb "

It'll be just like the console version.
Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's strange... really strange....

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Kazona
@Metal_Mills said:
" @natetodamax said:
"When you say there won't be any dedicated servers, does that mean that all matches will be hosted? That's dumb "
It'll be just like the console version. "
But if you can host the game on your console without problems, why couldn't you host it on your PC? Why does the PC side need dedicated servers, but consoles don't?
Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kazona said:
" @Metal_Mills said:
" @natetodamax said:
But if you can host the game on your console without problems, why couldn't you host it on your PC? Why does the PC side need dedicated servers, but consoles don't? "
I'm not totally sure, but it could have something to do with dudes disconnecting, and having lag off someone's shoddy connection. I think it's also better for people in the UK and such.
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15  Edited By Cube

That's pretty stupid.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By torus

If he said there will be no dedicated servers, that doesn't include listen servers (hosting on your machine while you play). Although, he might have just neglected to mention that.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By ZeroCast
@Metal_Mills: 

I missed the Pod. Did fourzerotwo say for certain that there won't be Dedicated Servers or are you just making assumptions?    
metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By metal_mills
@Kazona said:
" @Metal_Mills said:
" @natetodamax said:
But if you can host the game on your console without problems, why couldn't you host it on your PC? Why does the PC side need dedicated servers, but consoles don't? "

You DO have problems. It's why the number of players is always lower on consoles, it's why a sizable chunk of the world can't play properly on Xbox live because it just dumps you in a US server with 500 ping and dedicated servers can be huge if they want, they asre also overall smoother and easier. Consoles should have them.
metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By metal_mills
@ZeroCast said:
"@Metal_Mills: 

I missed the Pod. Did fourzerotwo say for certain that there won't be Dedicated Servers or are you just making assumptions?     "

He said there won't. I hope they get enough bacl lash to release them after launch but...who knows, activision don't give a shit.
noobeffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By noobeffect

fourzerotwo said this is for the community, to make it more accessible. lol.

The investment and responsibility is what made having a dedicated server so good. Players were integrated into communities through dedicated servers.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By metal_mills
@ZeroCast: Sorry for the triple post, it won't let me edit. >:(

Post from NeoGAF:
  http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2369799

Skip to 1 hour 41mins.

Robert Bowling.

Flat out.

NO DEDICATED SERVERS. Matchmaking only.

They ask him about custom content. He completely skips around the issue. He knows that there won't be custom content but doesn't want to embarrass himself. 
MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrGetBonus

Great. Matchmaking is one of the worst things to happen to gaming. My hype for this game was already lowering because of all the other games coming out and now they are bringing this console bullshit onto the PC?

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gizmo
@Metal_Mills said:
" 402 was meant to have said it on a chat thing and is also on this podcast(Very first subject).  http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2369799  This is utterly insane for a PC game. I'm no longer buying this piece of shit. Fuck Activision to hell. No mods is bad, but I can live without. Dedicated servers are the bread and butter of a PC online game. Fucking...fuck! "

No Caption Provided
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RsistncE
@ieatlions said:
" @Metal_Mills: Your argument is that your not buying " this piece of shit ." game  due to the fact that it doesnt have dedicated server support or mods. "
How the fuck is that an argument? That's a statment.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Al3xand3r

I don't care for mods about this game in particular, as other engines/games/platforms are far more popular for modding anyway, but no dedicated servers? Did they really confirm that 100% or just didn't confirm that it WILL have them, so people speculate away in a negative spin? That would be pretty ridiculous, they have no reason at all to remove them for such a game. I can understand it in something like Left 4 Dead for example, since you just go online with a few friends, but games with match based gameplay benefit greatly from that feature, not only for lag purposes (which is a big plus itself) but also for community purposes... If they don't have this at launch I can imagine it being resolved in a future patch once they see how much people dislike it. Or maybe not, after all, the PC isn't highly regarded by publishers. Maybe if Modern Warfare 2 sells worse than 1 on PC instead of better they will just blame it on piracy and other such factors instead of their own bad decision making...

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I don't play that much online, I don't use mods, however not having dedicated servers will really ruin the online experience. Honestly what is activation thinking? They must of think the pc version won't make them money considering the delay for piracy.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By metal_mills
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" I don't play that much online, I don't use mods, however not having dedicated servers will really ruin the online experience. Honestly what is activation thinking? They must of think the pc version won't make them money considering the delay for piracy. "
Actually, people think, and it could be very true, that they are doing it to get a firm grip on the DLC for PC. Remember Jeff asking "I wonder how they'll be able to charge for DLC in MW2?"
Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Darkstar614
@MrGetBonus said:
" Great. Matchmaking is one of the worst things to happen to gaming."
What? The concept of Matchmaking is a great thing... Why wouldn't you want to play against people of equal skill? 

I'll assume you just mean that it's implementation on the current games is poor.

No dedicated servers is still strange as hell.. especially for a PC game.
Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Chokobo

okay.  no dedicated servers is complete bullshit for a PC game.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RsistncE
@Darkstar614 said:
" @MrGetBonus said:
What? The concept of Matchmaking is a great thing... Why wouldn't you want to play against people of equal skill?   I'll assume you just mean that it's implementation on the current games is poor.   No dedicated servers is still strange as hell.. especially for a PC game. "
Matchmaking is terrible because although it makes sense in theory that doesn't carry over as an accurate way to gauge a person's skill. Not only that but matchmaking always implies that there won't be dedicated servers (unless the publisher provides them, which in this case they obviously won't be).

Either way Activision is basically asking for their game to be pirated. Bunch of assholes, they fucking deserve it.
Psyx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Psyx2

I really hate matchmaking in PC games. COD4 didn't have the greatest mod community so I don't really care about that, but I like having a server list. Good job Activision.

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrGetBonus
@Darkstar614 said:

" @MrGetBonus said:

What? The concept of Matchmaking is a great thing... Why wouldn't you want to play against people of equal skill?   I'll assume you just mean that it's implementation on the current games is poor.   No dedicated servers is still strange as hell.. especially for a PC game. "
 I hate that, for the most part, it removes you being able to choose what you want to play. In most games, it's choose a game type and it will start it up. Then, maybe you get to choose between two maps what you want to play. I want to pick the mode I wanna play, the map I wanna play it on, the amount of players in the game, see all the custom options in the games, ping, everything. Don't tell me what I have to play. I also want people to be able to hop in and hop out of the game if they please and not locking the game once it starts. If they do all that, then sure I'm on board. Otherwise, matchmaking just limits my experience.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By meteora

Can anyone explain to me whats a dedicated server? Would that be something like Battle.net or Steam; where the company hosts the dedicated servers rather than peer-to-peer and not being able to choose?

It seems kinda strange that they would take out dedicated servers on the PC. Not really a big deal to me, but this is kinda really maddening. If one version is getting severely neglected, why even bother with a PC version of the game? Activision is again, out of their minds... Then again it could be IW's.

Edit: I think I know why they won't have dedicated servers. They're planning to funnel all the extra cost and maintenance to Steam servers instead. Get it on Steam instead.

https://twitter.com/fourzerotwo/status/4942365785

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CL60

Wtf?

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Driadon

Alright, well I can take this off my "must buy" list, use that money to buy Demon's Souls or something.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#36  Edited By sjschmidt93

I think I just broke my forehead.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jakob187
@Metal_Mills said:

" You DO have problems. It's why the number of players is always lower on consoles, it's why a sizable chunk of the world can't play properly on Xbox live because it just dumps you in a US server with 500 ping and dedicated servers can be huge if they want, they asre also overall smoother and easier. Consoles should have them. "

The other issue is that if I'm hosting an online match...and I'm tired and decide to log off...it doesn't automatically switch over to another person to host.  It will more than likely disconnect the game completely and people will have to go find another match somewhere.  If the refresh options for the server list aren't good, then that becomes an issue as well for finding a match that is actually up and running. 

Then there's also the fact that having no mod capabilities and no dedicated servers mean that they can start charging for DLC on the game. 

Put it this way:  if I wanted to play MW2 on a console...then I would just buy a 360.  Instead, I want that superior connection quality, graphic quality, and controls quality on the PC.  Unfortunately, they are giving that PC game the setup of a console game...which is bullshit.  PC is NOT the same type of platform. 

@Meteora said:
"I think I know why they won't have dedicated servers. They're planning to funnel all the extra cost and maintenance to Steam servers instead. Get it on Steam instead.

https://twitter.com/fourzerotwo/status/4942365785"
Great...it'll finally have Prestige Mode...as well as Steam support...AT THE COST OF DEDICATED SERVERS!!!  Definitely not a fair trade-off.
TheDoorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheDoorman

I think PC gamers are blowing this way out of proportion, the game is going to be good, I think its a little drastic cancelling your preorders and not buying the game. 
 I have a console so I cant really sympathize but it doesnt seem like that big of a deal. Relax, wait for the game to come out and than judge if its bad or good.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Al3xand3r

If you don't know what dedicated servers are, then don't comment on why you think they dropped them (or for some other people around here who aren't PC gamers, don't pretend to understand the issue and tell people to wait and see). What you link to is completely irrelevant. Such servers are usually run by players, not the companies. Most of Valve's own games (on steam) have dedicated server support. Dedicated servers are machines dedicated to running the server side, where players connect, so no one player is the host that shuts it down as soon as he stops playing, all have an equal chance for good ping based on their location (rather than the host having 0 ping and owning everyone else), it has a particular IP you can put in your favorites and frequent so it allows the creation of communities around it, and many other benefits. Not having dedicated servers doesn't mean they'll provide more features or supporrt in other ways, it merely gimps the ability of the players themselves to provide their own support and create communities, which is the most important support a game like this can have. Now, sure, people can try to work around that in some ways (not all by far), but when pretty much every PC FPS out there supports this, why doesn't this? Instead of adding features and helping players support they take them out and make it tougher? Yes, this is a big deal and not blown out of proportion if it's true.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By meteora
@Al3xand3r: Well, I do remember in one of the trailers that there was host migration. Now I'm not saying its a perfect fix since I don't know if that's going to work very well, but its a possibility. I also posted that 402 says MW2 will be on Steam servers.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Al3xand3r

Host migration still doesn't allow for the creation of communities based around static IP servers, nor will it provide an experience as stable and smooth if the host constantly changes around with people of varying connection speeds and locations. Being on Steam is irrelevant. And yes, you can work with just listen servers, but there's a reason all the Valve FPS games live off of dedicated servers, even though most of them support listen servers. It's because it's the best solution, and what most people want. They have no reason to remove it. None. They have no reason to want control over the content (as games who are open get extra popularity for that alone), it has nothing to do with anti-piracy (cracked servers are cracked servers whether dedicated or listen, or whatever method ends up being used for this game's piracy). There's no logic.

SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By SunKing

This has nothing to do with "accessability" and everything to do with cutting out the free-modding community, maintaining control over multiplayer content and servers, and reducing piracy rates. I think it's pretty insulting, but, hey, it's Acitivision.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By End_Boss
@Driadon said:
" Alright, well I can take this off my "must buy" list, use that money to buy Demon's Souls or something. "
While I have no idea what's going on in this thread, I heartily support your decision.
HCARyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HCARyan

Looks like I won't be buying this game.  I honestly hope this becomes the #1 pirated xbox and PC game on the market now. Activision can eat a bag of dicks.

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dark_Jon

WTF Where's my server list! Activision is getting too powerful now, they can screw over whoever they want and people will still kiss their ass.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jimbo

In layman's terms, they just turned PC multiplayer into Xbox Live (which some will prefer and some won't), meaning no mods, no permanent clan servers etc.  It should be harder to play multiplayer with a pirated copy, because everybody will be forced to go through IW Net.  

At least for the first week until somebody figures out how to emulate IW Net on private servers.

mehteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mehteh

no dedicated servers = no buy

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jakob187
@TheDoorman said:

"I have a console so I cant really sympathize but it doesnt seem like that big of a deal."

You are correct - you DON'T understand how much bullshit this is.  Given that you are used to a console, then you know all about "Connection Interrupted", games being ended early because of the host leaving, and poor ranking systems...not to mention dealing with tons of retarded fuckwits that would rather glitch like crazy than actually play the game.

Meanwhile, PC gamers never have servers disconnected, and moreover, we have a LIST of servers to choose from...so if we find a server that is run by a good group of people that we trust, then we can choose that server on a regular basis.  There's also the fact that having dedicated servers means we have little to no lag, as we can choose servers based on ping. 

In short...it's bullshit that they aren't going to offer dedicated servers on PC.  It essentially breaks the purpose of getting the game on PC.
Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

Oh great, now I hate Activision even more, I didn't think that was possible.

Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Mooshu

They just lost a customer.

I'm sure it will mean little difference in the long run, though. The game will still sell millions, but I refuse to support this game.