GameCube games coming to Switch? This could be an amazing addition to the Virtual Console.

• 51 results
RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By RetroMetal

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/12/07/eurogamer-gamecube-virtual-console-could-be-on-nintendo-switch/

No Caption Provided

I've been salivating for GameCube games to be on Virtual Console on the WiiU. This would be so much more awesome than Wii games being on VC.

Please let this be true.

Avatar image for redsquirrelbrown
RedSquirrelBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Are N64 games available on VC?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First they need to have a way to transfer all the VC games you bought on past consoles, then we talk about gamecube

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

So, we're getting excited about Virtual Console when Nintendo can't even do pre-Gamecube stuff right yet?

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Freaking sweet, finally I can get expensive stuff like Thousand-year door!

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21: The snes emulation on the n3ds was thought to be pretty accurate.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully it's not just a few first party games - this would be a wonderful way for people to play some of the rarer gamecube games.

Basically I want to play Baten Kaitos and BK2 please

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@gerrid: Viewtiful Joes would be awesome.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who's looked at the $90+ prices for a copy of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance on eBay, yay! But seriously, Nintendo need a way to transfer purchase entitlements between different consoles, and then they need to get their act in gear with regards to releasing Virtual Console games only in one region, or only on one console, or not releasing no-brainer titles. It needs to be more like the PS1 classics on the PSN.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@dafdiego777: I was speaking more towards what is actually offered than anything else.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RetroMetal

YES! Also... Super Mario Sunshine, FINALLY.

And Eternal Darkness.

@sloppydetective said:

@gerrid: Viewtiful Joes would be awesome.

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21: That's fair. I think the current rumor suggests that the mini-nes guys will be taking over full time vc support. I think this combined with Nintendo's focus on common sense business strategies means we will regular vc support this time around.

Avatar image for redsquirrelbrown
RedSquirrelBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well then, this could be great

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super

Mario

Sunshine

YEAH B***H!!!

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By thebrainninja

I've barely dipped my toe in the water of Virtual Console stuff, and after the shitshow that was Super Mario 64 VC I doubt I'll check in again. I already have a backwards compatible Wii hooked up to a TV, and I'll just buy a damn N64 before I fire up that darkened lag-fest again.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17 chaser324  Moderator

Sounds great, but they really do need to get their online account stuff sorted out before I buy any more Virtual Console games. I'm willing to put up with their dumb hardware-oriented DRM for new games, but I'm tired of buying the same old SNES games multiple times.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best Version of Animal Crossing better be there!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'll get right on this after I get the assurance that I won't have to re-purchase all of those SNES games again.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@chaser324: Agreed. I'm not throwing absurd money their way every time they launch a new console and I want to play games I've bought before...

...except I'm totally doing that right now with the PS4, aren't I? Shit.

DukeMcFrenzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takayamasama: oh man but all the NES games will be striped out and none of my e-cards will work!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22 chaser324  Moderator

@chaser324: Agreed. I'm not throwing absurd money their way every time they launch a new console and I want to play games I've bought before...

...except I'm totally doing that right now with the PS4, aren't I? Shit.

I think those current gen remasters are a bit of a different thing. Even in the case of those PS1/PS2 classics on PSN, that's at least the first time you're buying those games in a digital format and they've already been shown to be at least somewhat portable across platforms.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Who cares? All the good first party Gamecube games have already been ported and remastered. The good third party Gamecube games might not even make it on to Virtual Console because of licensing issues.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dukemcfrenzy: If they do put AC on Virtual Console, and they take out the NES games, they are fooooools.

Nintendo is totally gonna do that, huh :(

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

@bartok said:

Who cares? All the good first party Gamecube games have already been ported and remastered. The good third party Gamecube games might not even make it on to Virtual Console because of licensing issues.

There are a lot of games that have in fact never been ported or remastered and cost a fortune to get. I think a lot of people care. Your statement is pretty shortsighted.

I have a soft spot for Wave Race: Blue Storm and 1080: Avalanche for example. F-Zero GX is one of the finest Gamecube games out there. I'm sure people would enjoy a convenient way to play Smash Brothers considering how popular it still is. I bet there would be a lot of edge cases that might be interesting to revisit like Star Fox Adventures or Donkey Kong Jungle Beat or The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords. I've already named a lot of games that people might not have had the chance to check out and might enjoy off the top of my head.

saethir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gerrid said:

Hopefully it's not just a few first party games - this would be a wonderful way for people to play some of the rarer gamecube games.

Basically I want to play Baten Kaitos and BK2 please

Man, same here. I really enjoyed Baten Kaitos, but for some reason never played the second one. I have my doubts, but would love to see them show up here.

Also Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance thank you very much.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

...can I put my Gamecube games in the console and just play thise? Or, hell, let me download the VC version and play it as long as I have the disc in. Something where I don't have to buy the game again would be nice.

But before anything like that, Nintendo's digital stuff must be account bound and not system bound. That just has to happen at some point.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The idea of playing Baten Kaitos again peaks my interest. I'm worried it doesn't hold up well, but damn I loved that first game.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: The Nintendo Switch doesn't have a disc drive, so no, you won't be putting any discs in a la Xbox One backward compatibility.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@justin258: The Nintendo Switch doesn't have a disc drive, so no, you won't be putting any discs in a la Xbox One backward compatibility.

...oh. I knew that.

Every console since the PS1, aside from the N64, has had a disc drive, so that little factoid didn't cross my mind while I was making my comment.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@godzilla_sushi: You're right I totally forgot how quick Nintendo is to release the more obscure games on to the Virtual Console.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I wish they were at an improve resolution. I've played Luigi's Mansion in 1080 4:3 and it looks great.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as I'm concerned there are two games on GameCube worth playing and I'd play them again. Eternal Darkness and Super Monkey Ball.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot about Super Monkey Ball, but YES!

@dagas said:

As far as I'm concerned there are two games on GameCube worth playing and I'd play them again. Eternal Darkness and Super Monkey Ball.

CaptnKamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem with the VC has always been the pace at which they put out the games.

If they launch with three strong games and then continue to put out nothing for months, it's a waste. They need to start putting out games consistently.

beanswater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a beautiful opportunity this would be to really bank on the Switch as the future of Nintendo by linking past VC purchases making them all available without rebuying, vastly improving the rate of release on VC, and lowering cost all around to increase buy in and tie customers to the Nintendo Store.

But who am I kidding, they'll start over with a new VC catalog selling GC games ONLY and they all cost twenty dollars each and you'll get four first party games per year plus some Japanese anime games to fill out the release schedule. All previous VC games will be obsoleted by the end of 2017 to prepare for the New and Improved VC Backwards Compatability Catalog for Switch in 2018 wherein you'll have to rebuy everything you ever wanted and they all cost ten dollars now.

Something, SOMEWHERE, will reek of Nintendo. They can't bring out a four star six course meal without at least one dog turd sitting off to the side of one of the plates.

SnowyPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would love to play Eternal Darkness again but that probably will never happen.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get why so many of you are hoping for emulation. But i find it kind of ridiculous to keep expecting them to make it available, and how many times do people really want to buy all their old games over and over again.

I would rather they put a lot of effort into making new quality games. And getting as much support for the console it self as possible. I don't think it should be a priority to make emulation available for legacy hardware.

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@meierthered: I had never been into the idea of Virtual Console until recently. I like being able to sit on the couch watching Tv with my girlfriend, while playing old junk on my Wii U gamepad.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm down for another console to not play Mario Sunshine on

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get why so many of you are hoping for emulation. But i find it kind of ridiculous to keep expecting them to make it available, and how many times do people really want to buy all their old games over and over again.

I would rather they put a lot of effort into making new quality games. And getting as much support for the console it self as possible. I don't think it should be a priority to make emulation available for legacy hardware.

Judging by the increase, not decrease, in "remaster" games coming out on current gen hardware it looks like a lot of people want to buy their old games forever

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want this to be the vehicle for Giftpia to be released in North America.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Neurogia

I've still got my whole Gamecube library complete and intact. At first the thought of VC Gamecube games excited me...until I remembered I bought all of the good games throughout its lifespan.

It's an amazing system.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MeierTheRed

@meierthered said:

Judging by the increase, not decrease, in "remaster" games coming out on current gen hardware it looks like a lot of people want to buy their old games forever

I guess you are right. Just feels like wasted resources.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meierthered: I won't dispute that it's wasted resources because I agree. It's just that simple economics are what's propelling this trend. Why invest in new IP when you can dust off old properties and sell them again after a spit shine

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I just want SNES games and GBA games. Up until now I've managed to avoid every single console/handheld with the ability to play them.

I just looked through the list of Gamecube games and honestly there are only two I care about playing; Wind Waker and Sunshine, and considering Wind Waker HD exists already I would rather play that version if possible.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I kept seeing this around, but never saw it confirmed. I kinda thought it was people just hoping, but I'm happy to see it's real. There's plenty of GC games I'd love to go back and play.

• That Fire Emblem game (I don't remember the title)
  • Mario Sunshine
  • Pokemon Colosseum (More of a morbid curiosity on my part since I liked the game when I was younger)
  • Super Smash Melee
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Paper Mario TYD

Also people, keep in mind not everyone bought all the video games back in the day and are "buying them again for the umpteenth time". There's been a lot of stuff people have never played and platforms like the virtual console give them an opportunity to discover them for the first time, or rediscover games they used to love but no longer own due to time, spacial issues, etc. There's also the ease of access factor when regarding the larger investment it can take to get a hold of older games and the system's they're on.

For example, I bought Paper Mario 64 not too long ago on my Wii U. I've never played it before, but got interested because color splash came out. I ended up loving the game and I never would've played it were it not for the VC and cheap price tag. Same thing happened for me with the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus collection on Ps3.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously I care, and apparently others in this thread do.

Arguably some of the best games Nintendo has made were on the GameCube, and there has been no way to get those and replay them on VC, yet. This makes me excited.

I would argue that the best version of F-Zero, Waverace, 1080 and many others were only on the GameCube, and frankly I'd love to have them again on a new console so I can play them again.

@bartok said:

nycnewyork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skies of Arcadia, or Lost kingdoms please. I know neither of those will happen sadly.