What Switch games do you expect to release in 2018?

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By MocBucket62

This has been said countless times, but congratulations to Nintendo for the unbelievable success of their new console, the Nintendo Switch. It really is an awesome device where you have the option to play console games on the big screen or take it with you on the go. As a Switch owner, I adore the little device. Plus Nintendo played ball by having new entries in their heavy hitting franchises to help sell the system such as Zelda: BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2. Its been such a success that Nintendo managed to win over some 3rd party publishers/developers by having ports or new games on the system such as Skyrim, FIFA, LA Noire, DOOM, Sonic Mania and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Yes Mario is in the game, but it is an Ubisoft developed title).

Now looking into what Nintendo has in store for 2018, the Switch planned library is mostly a mystery. We know about a few games coming this year such as Kirby Star Allies, a new Yoshi game and a new core Fire Emblem. But other than those titles, we don't know much about what Nintendo has in store to continue the momentum they established last year. Wonder if anyone has any predictions about what Nintendo or other publishers will release for the Switch's 2018 catalog? Here's some of my predictions:

Nintendo:

• We'll see either a deluxe port or a new entry in the Super Mario Maker series, which will have new level layouts (Snow and desert levels), enemies (Charging Chucks, Boomberang Bros), and old game themes (Super Mario Land and Super Mario Land 2).
  • A console Mario Golf is long due and will come out for the Switch. It will be more like Toadstool Tour rather than the Golf RPG's for the GBC and GBA. Odyssey characters like Cappy, the Broodals and Mayor Pauline will be playable.
  • Captain Toad 2 will be released this summer.
  • A new Animal Crossing will be revealed this month and will release sometime in September.
  • The new Pokemon Switch game will be rushed to be released in early November and that will be pushed as Nintendo's big holiday exclusive.
  • Nintendo announces an HD remaster of F-Zero GX with an easy story mode and online functionality.

3rd Party/Indie:

• Project Octopath will get a proper name (I'll guess Octopath Ventures) and it will release in October.
  • EA will surprise everybody and release a port of Burnout Paradise to the Switch (Apparently there are rumors of this happening).
  • Rockstar will release a port of GTA 5 and this will be announced at Nintendo's E3 Direct as their big 3rd Party announcement.
  • Blizzard will finally give in to the Switch hype and port Hearthstone onto the Switch (I know Blizzard hasn't supported Nintendo in years, but Hearthstone on the system makes too much sense).
  • Namco may not have Dragon Ball FighterZ or Soul Calibur 6 ready, but will release a port of Tekken 7 instead.
  • Indie games that will release for the Switch will include Toejam and Earl Back in the Groove, Bit Trip Runner 3, Freedom Planet 2 (fingers crossed on this one), Indivisible and Bloodstained.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By wrighteous86

Virtual Console and the ability to play your digital 3DS purchases on the Switch.

BigWookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BigWookie

I think there will be at least one big first party game timed to release in conjunction with whatever their full online service ends up being (my bet would be something relating to Smash Brothers, but possibly not a new full series entry)

I also assume some form of Virtual Console will be released alongside the online service.

If they are sticking graphically enhanced Wii games (Mario Galaxy, etc.) on that Chinese Android/Shield platform which was announced a couple of months back then they'd be crazy not to also make them available on the Switch (if only to mitigate against the piracy you expect to see whenever something ends up on Android)

From Software have been listed as a development partner for Switch from around the time the system was announced so I would expect we will see what they have been working on.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nicksmi56

The only prediction I have that I really see happening is A Hat In Time getting a Switch port, which I am soooooo ready for.

I could see Freedom Planet 2 coming as well.

I also suspect some 3rd-party AAA ports are gonna be announced in the upcoming Direct, though I'm not gonna say which I want for fear of jinxing anything.

Oh, and Metroid Prime Trilogy will be ported over to drum up hype for 4.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WasabiCurry

Animal Crossing is probably a given as there hasn't been a mainline game on the console since the Wii (and the one I am most hyped for). Outside of that, probably some Wii U games making it over like Pikimin 3 or Smash at some point.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pokio Flip.

A new game created to leverage the huge popularity of Nintendo's newest beloved character, Pokio.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"EA will surprise everybody and release a port of Burnout Paradise"

Awww man really? I wish they would port Burnout Revenge (360 version) to Switch or PC or PS4. I was never that big of a fan of Paradise.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I hope we get Fire Emblem but I doubt it.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thechris: They already said a mainline Fire Emblem game is coming out on Switch this year.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicksmi56: First I’ve heard of it, would be cool if they can keep that.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Tokyo Mirage Session #FE for Switch. I still want to play that game, but really don't want to use my Wii U ever again. Let's make it happen!

Besides that, they have already teased out a handful of things. I'm not sure what surprises for this year they will have. It seems more like the surprises will be "Oh man, the new Pokemon is coming out this year!" Unless it's something like the new Animal Crossing is coming out this year, but they've been quiet to give Pocket Camp it's 2 minutes to shine.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

Prime Trilogy and Galaxy are things I'd like to see. F-Zero as well.

I'd absolutely love a new 2d Castlevania on the platform, but those seem a thing of the past.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd absolutely love a new 2d Castlevania on the platform, but those seem a thing of the past.

If they could somehow release Rondo of Blood in English, I'd pick that up in a heartbeat.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only prediction I have that I really see happening is A Hat In Time getting a Switch port, which I am soooooo ready for.

I could see Freedom Planet 2 coming as well.

I also suspect some 3rd-party AAA ports are gonna be announced in the upcoming Direct, though I'm not gonna say which I want for fear of jinxing anything.

Oh, and Metroid Prime Trilogy will be ported over to drum up hype for 4.

This I need...I've never played the Prime trilogy.....

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I may be imagining it but I could have swore that The Wonderful 101 was announced to be coming to the switch.

WanLaghima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Virtual Console has to be it. They are sitting on a gold mine. If they bring it in conjuction with their online service, it could be another great year for nintendo.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

I would do terrible things if it meant a fully fledged new F-Zero happened.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metroid Prime trilogy also gets my vote. Otherwise I have...no expectations, despite owning the damn thing. It has mostly been collecting dust since I finished Mario Odyssey.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tokyo Mirage Session #FE for Switch. I still want to play that game, but really don't want to use my Wii U ever again. Let's make it happen!

Besides that, they have already teased out a handful of things. I'm not sure what surprises for this year they will have. It seems more like the surprises will be "Oh man, the new Pokemon is coming out this year!" Unless it's something like the new Animal Crossing is coming out this year, but they've been quiet to give Pocket Camp it's 2 minutes to shine.

yes please to tokyo mirage sessions. What they said on this week's bombcast about it making sense because doing the port work is relatively inexpensive gives me hope too.

Beyond that, I don't really know. I feel like Nintendo mostly announces stuff way in advance so I wouldn't expect much we don't already know about, maybe that smash port. Looking forward to Fire Emblem switch though.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By TheWildCard

I expect Fire Emblem will make this year. Probably rush a Pokemon out this year too (unfortunately). Who knows with that online service thing. Smash 4 port?

RK92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda want them to release the remasters of OoT, Majoras Mask, and Windwaker.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

New IP from Nintendo.

MundaneSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guardian Legend.

I'm actually super-excited to play all the Bayonettas on Switch.

mortierke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't call it a game but there are surely a lot of DLC-packets coming out.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chibi Robo because WHY WOULD U DO THAT NINTENDO, WHY WOULD U POST A PICTURE OF CHIBI WITH NO CONTEXT?!?!?! DONT DO THIS TO ME U ASSHOLES

Slasktotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By oldenglishc

This is the year where we finally get that Skies of Arcadia release on the new eshop.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I'd say Square announces a new Final Fantasy Tactics Advnace. Now seems like the perfect time for that, especially if they want to work with Nintendo. Beyond that, I'm hoping we see one entry in a classic franchise we don't hear much about - Earthbound, maybe, or Secret of Mana. Something to that effect that would get people talking.

mortonan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have absolutely no idea. I don't expect Bayonetta 3 or Metroid Prime 4 this year. I'm thinking it'll be an underwhelming year compared to 2017. I don't even expect Virtual Console other than that 'few games a month' scheme with their paid online service, since they're supposedly doing another run of NES Classic this year.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont know, I dont think Metroid Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3 will come out this year either. It would be a shame if all they do is bring out Wii U games and charge full price for them. Personally i'm hoping the new No More Heroes spinoff thing will come out this year since that seems like a collection of indie themed NMH games which shouldnt take too long.

@ohagan said:

I may be imagining it but I could have swore that The Wonderful 101 was announced to be coming to the switch.

I've seen people speculating that it would which seems weird since that's probably the game that makes the most use out of the touch pad and second screen, more so than any of Nintendo's games even.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thechris: They announced it as part of the Fire Emblem direct from January last year. Now whether they hit this year or not will be the question. They are making it though, and people are expecting it to show up in a direcf soon.

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

@clagnaught said:

yes please to tokyo mirage sessions. What they said on this week's bombcast about it making sense because doing the port work is relatively inexpensive gives me hope too.

Beyond that, I don't really know. I feel like Nintendo mostly announces stuff way in advance so I wouldn't expect much we don't already know about, maybe that smash port. Looking forward to Fire Emblem switch though.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and Xenoblade Chronicles X should definitely be on their port list now that they have a bigger audience to sell to. I keep looking that copy of XBCX on my shelf and TMSFE at the store but don't really want to have to plug my WiiU in again.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezza: Yeah, I just doubt it'll be released this year when we don't even know of its title yet or what it's gonna look like. When we finally got to know something about Fates, it released the year after that.

Sordel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first prediction is that what gets announced on a long lead time will be as nothing to what just 'comes out': a lot of indie ports together with puzzle games, JRPGs and visual novels. There looks to be a move from 3DS publishers to bring some of those games over as well.

I think Fallout 4 will come this year: Skyrim was received very well and it's probably made enough money to justify that. GTAV is more likely than Red Dead Redemption 2, but I wouldn't rule out The Warriors or Bully because Rockstar does like to support its old games.

Ubisoft will have a second Mario + Rabbids in development of course, probably for the end of the year, but I wonder about their larger franchises. Could we see a Watchdogs port? AC: Syndicate? Steep will be this year or never, but I'm not sure which.

I think we'll see a Nier:Automata port and something from Final Fantasy ... I hope it's XV but I could also see a case for XIV. Squenix has already got one of the lead JRPGs of the year in Octopath but I think we'll see more from them including the announcement of Bravely 3 for 2019. Most hoped-for would be Persona 5 but I've heard it said that there are exclusivity obstacles to that?

First party: I think Metroid Prime 4 is 2019 so a trilogy re-release would be great mid-year. So would Super Mario Galaxy in Autumn. I'm not convinced about Super Mario Maker: that one would be a surprise to me. Also, HD Skyward Sword would be a tough proposition unless they really overhaul that game, but they may be willing to do that. Yoshi & Kirby are not big enough to be the main titles for the year but would Animal Crossing or Pokemon be ready yet? I've got to doubt that. I could almost see a Switch Sports for holidays '18 as a more likely eventuality.

EA will have to reverse: VGChartz is today estimating Switch Fifa sales at a third of a million, which is peanuts (3%) of the total sales, but it was a bad port and it's too much money to leave on the table with the install base likely to double this year, so we'll get all their sports franchises now.

As for shooters ... Overwatch would be nice and I could see Fortnite coming this year. Whether we see a Call of Duty, Battlefield or Battlefront is very questionable but I think that someone is going to try to break that market this year.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NTM

Metroid Prime Trilogy HD... No, okay I don't, but I wish. (Also, I am now seeing that people already said this, which I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but still am.) If it ever came out, I also hope that along with the HD upgrade, the controls had an updated option. So, you can play with the original GameCube scheme, but also a new one where both analog sticks are more like modern fps, as well as a mix because I am not sure I want to shoot with R, but maybe. I never actually beat Metroid Prime 2; only one and three. I kind of want to plug the Wii U in and play the trilogy, but... no.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I own a copy of the Wii-U version of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, but I just couldn't get myself to buy a Wii-U. So now it just sits in my game binder. I need to get my purchasing habits under control.

Anyway, I would love to see a Tokyo Mirage Sessions release on the Switch.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty sure SMTV is set for this year for Japan, so I doubt we get it until 2019

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Don't ask me how I know this, but I have it on good authority that Pokken: Tag Team is being developed for Switch.

My uncle works at Nintendo.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wouldn't you know it, soon as I make my dumb joke this drops. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_u7g5BlfiY