This has been said countless times, but congratulations to Nintendo for the unbelievable success of their new console, the Nintendo Switch. It really is an awesome device where you have the option to play console games on the big screen or take it with you on the go. As a Switch owner, I adore the little device. Plus Nintendo played ball by having new entries in their heavy hitting franchises to help sell the system such as Zelda: BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2. Its been such a success that Nintendo managed to win over some 3rd party publishers/developers by having ports or new games on the system such as Skyrim, FIFA, LA Noire, DOOM, Sonic Mania and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Yes Mario is in the game, but it is an Ubisoft developed title).
Now looking into what Nintendo has in store for 2018, the Switch planned library is mostly a mystery. We know about a few games coming this year such as Kirby Star Allies, a new Yoshi game and a new core Fire Emblem. But other than those titles, we don't know much about what Nintendo has in store to continue the momentum they established last year. Wonder if anyone has any predictions about what Nintendo or other publishers will release for the Switch's 2018 catalog? Here's some of my predictions:
- We'll see either a deluxe port or a new entry in the Super Mario Maker series, which will have new level layouts (Snow and desert levels), enemies (Charging Chucks, Boomberang Bros), and old game themes (Super Mario Land and Super Mario Land 2).
- A console Mario Golf is long due and will come out for the Switch. It will be more like Toadstool Tour rather than the Golf RPG's for the GBC and GBA. Odyssey characters like Cappy, the Broodals and Mayor Pauline will be playable.
- Captain Toad 2 will be released this summer.
- A new Animal Crossing will be revealed this month and will release sometime in September.
- The new Pokemon Switch game will be rushed to be released in early November and that will be pushed as Nintendo's big holiday exclusive.
- Nintendo announces an HD remaster of F-Zero GX with an easy story mode and online functionality.
- Project Octopath will get a proper name (I'll guess Octopath Ventures) and it will release in October.
- EA will surprise everybody and release a port of Burnout Paradise to the Switch (Apparently there are rumors of this happening).
- Rockstar will release a port of GTA 5 and this will be announced at Nintendo's E3 Direct as their big 3rd Party announcement.
- Blizzard will finally give in to the Switch hype and port Hearthstone onto the Switch (I know Blizzard hasn't supported Nintendo in years, but Hearthstone on the system makes too much sense).
- Namco may not have Dragon Ball FighterZ or Soul Calibur 6 ready, but will release a port of Tekken 7 instead.
- Indie games that will release for the Switch will include Toejam and Earl Back in the Groove, Bit Trip Runner 3, Freedom Planet 2 (fingers crossed on this one), Indivisible and Bloodstained.