• 157 results
Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Mikewrestler5

You can't use that argument about responsibility with alcohol. Everyone reacts to it differently. 
One can/bottle is all it takes.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By Snipzor
@melcene said:
" Well congratulations to drunks everywhere, then, I guess.  You have an excuse.  It's not your fault. "
You'd be hard pressed to find anyone other than a sarcastic forum poster saying that. Don't make up arguments to go against.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By Azteck
@CL60: Yes, they should. It's not the alcohol driving, it's the person drinking who CHOOSES to drive. They might not be able to make the best decisions, but in the end it's he or she that chooses to do it. And yes, you can in fact use the "sober people crash too" argument because your entire argument is more or less that alcohol is the sole reason people crash their cars. Since we can't blame the cars for the person who's "too fucked up to know they can't drive", we can't really blame the alcohol for some idiot choosing to drive despite the fact that he had been drinking, knowing the consequences it could have.
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#104  Edited By mikemcn

It will never be illegal, we tried that and a second attempt is not going to go over well. We just need to find better ways of educating people, and get better at identifying those with addiction issues. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By ryanwho
@Snipzor said:
" @melcene said:
" Well congratulations to drunks everywhere, then, I guess.  You have an excuse.  It's not your fault. "
You'd be hard pressed to find anyone other than a sarcastic forum poster saying that. Don't make up arguments to go against. "
Idunno, snipz. I think its either 100% the fault of one thing or the other.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#106  Edited By CL60
@Azteck said:

" @CL60: Yes, they should. It's not the alcohol driving, it's the person drinking who CHOOSES to drive. They might not be able to make the best decisions, but in the end it's he or she that chooses to do it. And yes, you can in fact use the "sober people crash too" argument because your entire argument is more or less that alcohol is the sole reason people crash their cars. Since we can't blame the cars for the person who's "too fucked up to know they can't drive", we can't really blame the alcohol for some idiot choosing to drive despite the fact that he had been drinking, knowing the consequences it could have. "

Where did I ever say that alcohol is the sole reason people crash their cars? Both of you using an argument of "Sober people crash their cars too!" just makes it seem like you support drunk driving, and is absolutely ridiculous.
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#107  Edited By melcene

I thought what was ridiculous is that this thread started out against alcohol and alcoholism.  And here we have people giving alcoholics an EXCUSE to keep drinking.  It's not their fault if something bad happens while they're drinking - it's the alcohol's fault.  It's bullshit.  Don't give drunks a crutch.  It does nothing but enable them.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Snipzor
@melcene said:
" I thought what was ridiculous is that this thread started out against alcohol and alcoholism.  And here we have people giving alcoholics an EXCUSE to keep drinking.  It's not their fault if something bad happens while they're drinking - it's the alcohol's fault.  It's bullshit.  Don't give drunks a crutch.  It does nothing but enable them. "
2nd time you give a fake argument to argue again. Seriously, not helping you.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By CL60
@Snipzor said:
" @melcene said:
" I thought what was ridiculous is that this thread started out against alcohol and alcoholism.  And here we have people giving alcoholics an EXCUSE to keep drinking.  It's not their fault if something bad happens while they're drinking - it's the alcohol's fault.  It's bullshit.  Don't give drunks a crutch.  It does nothing but enable them. "
2nd time you give a fake argument to argue again. Seriously, not helping you. "
I know, it's getting annoying. I'm just going to leave this topic if these people are going to act like this.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Azteck
@CL60 said:
" @Azteck said:

" @CL60: Yes, they should. It's not the alcohol driving, it's the person drinking who CHOOSES to drive. They might not be able to make the best decisions, but in the end it's he or she that chooses to do it. And yes, you can in fact use the "sober people crash too" argument because your entire argument is more or less that alcohol is the sole reason people crash their cars. Since we can't blame the cars for the person who's "too fucked up to know they can't drive", we can't really blame the alcohol for some idiot choosing to drive despite the fact that he had been drinking, knowing the consequences it could have. "

Where did I ever say that alcohol is the sole reason people crash their cars? Both of you using an argument of "Sober people crash their cars too!" just makes it seem like you support drunk driving, and is absolutely ridiculous. "
That's hardly what I'm saying, and that's completely evident. I could just as well say that you are stating that people who hit someone while driving drunk shouldn't even have their license revoked because clearly, it was all the alcohol's fault. 

I never said that drunk driving is okay, but blaming alcohol, and saying that it should be banned just because some idiot chose to drive is stupid at best. I dare you to pull up a chart comparing the amount of people who drink to the amount of people who drive while under the influence of alcohol, because I can promise you that it's minuscule.  Quit blaming the alcohol and realize that the person is responsible for his actions.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#111  Edited By Vinny_Says

@Fajita_Jim: 
They should ban every substance your brother can't control his intake. It makes me sound like a dick, and I probably am, but it's your brother's responsibility. Do you really think banning alcohol will stop him? Has making any drug illegal stopped drug addicts?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#112  Edited By crusader8463

It's stupid. I know someone who is ruining his life because of drinking too, and it makes you mad that something so terrible is allowed to be legal.  

I also have a cousin who got in a car accident because of some fucking drunk who decided it would be fun to drive on the wrong side of the high way. He died instantly, but she had practically every bone in her right side shattered and has to live the rest of her life crippled and in constant pain. Every time I hear douche bags bragging about getting drunk and driving I can't help but imagine that it's only going to be a matter of time until they do that to someone elses cousin, and I just want to beat their skulls in with a heavy object as a public service.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By melcene
@CL60 said:
" @Snipzor said:
" @melcene said:
I know, it's getting annoying. I'm just going to leave this topic if these people are going to act like this. "
What are you talking about, "fake argument?"  I'm honestly confused.  And act like what?  All I'm asking is that responsibility for one's actions is put on the person, not an object.
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By RE_Player1

All cars should have breathalyzers in them so that you can't drive when drunk and the people that do want to be drunk all day and destroy their bodies should do so in the privacy of their own homes.  

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Snipzor
@melcene said:
" @CL60 said:
" @Snipzor said:
" @melcene said:
I know, it's getting annoying. I'm just going to leave this topic if these people are going to act like this. "
What are you talking about, "fake argument?"  I'm honestly confused.  And act like what?  All I'm asking is that responsibility for one's actions is put on the person, not an object. "
I'm saying you are the only one who said anything about putting blame on only the alcohol, nobody else actually said that. So you are responding to an argument that does not exist.
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By melcene
@RE_Player92: Would make things a lot easier.  It's already happening, too.  My understanding is that states are requiring them for people who have been convicted of drunk driving.
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By RE_Player1
@melcene: Yeah put that isn't really solving the problem, your making them do it after they've probably caused some damage. I know it would inconvenience a lot of people if they had to blow into their cars for 15 seconds before they could start it but it would probably save so many lives. 
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By melcene
@RE_Player92: Yeah, just saying it's a start.  Also the problem with it is that they could have someone else blow into it for them.  I'm against banning alcohol, but I'm also against people driving drunk. 

@Snipzor: You're right.  No one came out and said "Alcohol is completely to blame."  People just said numerous times that "alcohol impairs," "alcohol is dangerous because," "alcohol causes people to make bad choices."  I'm not going to play a semantics game.  I stick by what I said.  The people imbibing and then being stupid are the ones to blame.
___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By ___pocalypse

People who have issues with alcohol abuse would likely just use another outlet if alcohol were illegal.  

It's an illness, and they would channel that self destructive behavior somewhere else. My brother has struggled with alcohol abuse, and the at the core of it is not booze, but the fact that he deals with depression. I agree that it's a big problem, but the solution isn't getting rid of alcohol, it's treating the underlying issues that people have that make them more susceptible to alcohol abuse. Not everyone who drinks beer becomes an alcoholic, because not everyone has issues with addiction or depression.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#120  Edited By Milkman

Just because your brother can't handle himself doesn't mean that other people can't. 

The answer, as with anything, is moderation, not "ban this sick filth".  Also, let's not forget that we tried making alcohol illegal once. How'd that work out?

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By leftie68

Alcohol is not only dangerous in the hands of those who "have issues" with alcohol, most deaths linked to alcohol involve people who, just like alot of people on this board, say they just drink casually.  However, alcohol impairs judgement, and they got behind the wheel, and someone's life is cut short because of it.  The issue, I believe, is not to ban alcohol, or make alcohol illegal to drink, the issue is that our laws are not strict enough on those who get drunk publically.  If you are found under the influence while driving, they should ban you for LIFE from ever driving again.  Because the next time it could cost the life of someone innocent, because someone else decided they were just "buzzing" and "OK" to drive.

Phog_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Phog_of_War

I have made my views known on this already and I dont drink except for a glass of wine with family at Christmas.  Other than that its cannibis for me so I'm not getting into this one. 

Although:  http://www.saferchoice.org/    
Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Mcfart

lol @ prohibition. Just make everything legal, and let everyone buy smokes and booze. Fuck the government always helping illicit syndicates make millions from illegal substances.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#124  Edited By armaan8014
@CL60 said:
" Lol @ people in this thread acting like alcohol isn't dangerous. "
haha:D
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Xeiphyer

If you don't have the self control to prevent yourself from becoming an alcoholic, then its your fault. Not the alcohols. 

If it wasn't that, itd be drugs or something else. People with no self control are always into something.

Yes alcohol is bad, but no it shouldn't be illegal. People make their own decisions because they are adults. If they want to sell their possessions and become full time meth-heads, then thats their stupid choice. Feel sorry for them and try to help them, but don't blame the drugs because they didn't do anything. Its the person's fault and they should be held accountable for it. None of this "Alcoholism is a disease, you can't help it! Its not your fault!" bullshit. Its your fucking fault every fucking time people. 

My dad is a functioning alcoholic, and its his fault, not the beer's.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#126  Edited By korolev

It's legal because it's been used since ancient times. That's the only reason. Despite the fact that it isn't good for people, and can harm society, it is tolerated because those in power ALSO drink, and have been for a long, long time. Drinking has become such a part of society, that attempts to ban it failed miserably.  

All those arguments the Prohibitionists used against Alcohol are EXTREMELY similar to arguments employed by your government and mine against different drugs. Alcohol is a drug, though, but again, it's given a pass simply because too many people in important positions drink quite a bit.  

As for the comparison between Alcohol and other drugs, it depends - Alcohol is far worse than some recreational drugs, but far better when compared to others.  Should other drugs be legalized? Let's leave that up to a vote.  

I don't drink. At all. Not for religious reasons, but for philosophical reasons. I'm a stone cold sober guy, and I never will and never have, touched a drop of Alcohol, nor will I EVER take a recreational drug. I don' t like Alcohol, I don't like it's effects on society, but I know enough about Human Nature to not even begin to suggest that it should be banned, because it won't be. Prohibition doesn't work .Even in Saudi Arabia, which carries very harsh penalties for drinking alcohol, and even harsher penalties for selling it, there's a lot of drinking in underground bars and at private parties. You can't stop Alcohol, too many people enjoy it. Politicians drink it, business people drink it, every day joes and janes drink it.  

Does this mean those moral conservatives who hark on and on about the horrors of drugs are hypocrites for not applying those very same arguments against alcohol? Why, yes it does. Yes it does indeed. Because Alcohol is: 

• Addictive to a lot of folks
  • Very harmful to your health if you drink a lot
  • Impairs mental functions
  • Can quite often lead to violence

But, like cigarettes, it's not bad if THEY take it. It's only an evil drug if they don't take it! You see what I'm getting at? 

Frankly, I view all recreational drugs as being bad - but I also tolerate other people for taking those drugs, even though it can cause great harm to society. And if you say that "Alcohol only hurts the Alcoholic, while Meth can hurt EVERYONE" - well, I agree that Meth is an atrociously bad drug and can hurt society, but let's list the social crimes of Alcohol: 

1. Car Crashes caused by drunk driving that can kill non-drunk drivers! Imagine that! You get killed because Johnny-Drinks-a-lot got behind the wheel while drunk and now you're dead because he didn't stop at the red light
  2. Domestic violence! How many drunk husbands abuse their wives and kids when they get drunk enough to lower their inhibitions against violence? Well, you can look at the stats and they don't paint a pretty picture
  3. Liver Failure! How much money has been wasted needlessly, treating people who were too stupid to know their own limits? It's probably quite a lot. Organ transplant lists have also grown because of excessive drinking. Thanks Alcohol!
  4. How many people have died in stupid accidents because they were drunk and thus, not properly co-ordinated? I don't have those figures, but I'm willing to bet it's large!
  5. How many women have been taken advantage of because they were drunk? Again, don't have the figures, but I'm betting it's not a small number!
  6. How many lives have been ruined because of a crippling addiction to alcohol? I think you know the answer to this.

And what will governments do about it? NOTHING, because it's a drug they take themselves!
Nixtwix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Nixtwix

It's called Whiskey Media, not apple juice media. 

And any type of drug being illegal is rather pointless. 

@Korolev You seem like a boring dude.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By gamefreak9

I don't agree that it should be illegal, but some cultures have been overusing it... i mean i get the whole high school thing to be cool, thats fine. But yeah the two cultures that have been abusing it to a ridiculous amount are US and UK. Compare alcohol accidents/deaths in Norway or Sweeden to UK and US, its a little ridiculous how much they differ. 

I do agree it should be illegal in the US/UK, not because its harmful, but because its being abused and not used properly, everything is harmful if you abuse it, and personally if my child over-abused chocolate, i would take it away from him. 

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By salad10203
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By teh_destroyer

I am a raging alcoholic, what are you going to do about it?

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#131  Edited By belaraphon

anything can turn into an addiction, and some people are more prone to addictive tendencies than others. if you care about your brother then you will express how you feel and offer to help. it resides with him to act.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By hicks91

The government telling you what you can and can't do is a bit totalitarian for me

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By iam3green

i think it's more to do with people not drinking responsibly. yes, alcohol can kill your liver and other inner body parts but it also has good side effects like in beer. in beer it helps prevent heart diseases. it's great thing for that. 

there aren't enough people that drink responsibly. there are people will go to bars and just drink all night making them drunk. they leave driving themselves home. drinking and driving don't mix because alcohol makes person tired, they don't have good judgment.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#134  Edited By floodiastus
@Fajita_Jim said:

"

GTFO if you want to bring mary jane into this. Let's talk about alcohol and its effects and uses, not how it compares to something else.   My brother is a year younger than I (34) and a functioning alcoholic. He goes to work, comes home, gets drunk and goes to sleep. His personality disappeared a few years ago for the  most part. It's disgusting, and it will unfortunately probably be the end of him at some point.  What is so acceptable about this that it's still legal? It's not like he's anywhere near the only one.   "
Why should it be illegal is the question.  
Are society suppossed to be our parents because we live in a time where we are so spoiled that we cannot take responsability for our own actions?  

And if alcohol should be illagel, we need to make almost everything illegal. I mean knives.. even for eating, you can really hurt yourself on that and don't get me started on forks!
discost3w

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By discost3w

WHY ARE CARS LEGAL GOD DAMNIT, SO MANY PEOPLE DIE IN CAR CRASHES. 

people die, deal with it

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By CL60
@discost3w said:
" WHY ARE CARS LEGAL GOD DAMNIT, SO MANY PEOPLE DIE IN CAR CRASHES.  people die, deal with it "
Terrible argument is terrible.
Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Ben99

alcohol is just bad man . I know it's stating the obvious but seriously I feel like I have no boundaries whats whoever  when I get drunk . Besides the nausea and the awful hangover .  
I tried whiskey the other day and after two shots I felt dizzy and all and I got more talkative than usual with strangers . The strange thing is I could think clearly though and I drove back home even though I was a little intoxicated  . All in all, it was not fun at all . 

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#138  Edited By jkz

Because I should be allowed to kill myself however the hell I want. So long as I'm not endangering others (which alcohol drinks do; there are better solutions to that than prohibition, though), I should be able to do whatever I damn well please to my body, be it shoot up on heroin, smoke pot, drink whiskey, or smoke cigarettes.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#139  Edited By Brendan

Be responsible kids. 

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Giantsquirrel

Squeezing down a bottle of hand sanitizer is easier than running to the store and grabbing a bottle of AIDS. 

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#141  Edited By FlyingRat

As long as something only harms themselves, i think it should be legal.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

And marijuana is still illegal lol

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#143  Edited By Gunner
@CL60 said:
" Because people think the only way to have fun at any social event is to be drunk. So it's socially acceptable. While marijuana is not. "

Alcohol is a social lubricant, it helps people open up conversations with people they normally would never talk to sober. No one by any means thinks its the only way to have fun.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By CL60
@Gunner said:
" @CL60 said:
" Because people think the only way to have fun at any social event is to be drunk. So it's socially acceptable. While marijuana is not. "
Alcohol is a social lubricant, it helps people open up conversations with people they normally would never talk to sober. No one by any means thinks its the only way to have fun. "
Nobody thinks it's the only way to have fun? Really? Then how come when I get offered alcohol when I'm with friends, and I say "I don't drink" they look at me and say "WELL HOW DO YOU HAVE FUN THEN?!"
rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#145  Edited By rjaylee
@drag said:
" Alcohol doesn't kill people, people do.  "
That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. You ingest 10 entire bottles of vodka by yourself, and let me know if you still are alive in your chair by the end.
BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By BitterAlmond

Cigarettes kill more people in the US than alcohol, homicide, all disease (including AIDS) and car accidents, combined. Why aren't they illegal? 

Simple. People like it, and it rarely hurts anyone other than them. In Spain, all drugs are legal to buy, possess and use. They're just illegal to sell. If a person wants to destroy themselves, they should be allowed to do it. As soon as they begin to destroy someone else, that's when the law should step in. Not before.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By TwoLines
@CL60 said:
" @Gunner said:
" @CL60 said:
Alcohol is a social lubricant, it helps people open up conversations with people they normally would never talk to sober. No one by any means thinks its the only way to have fun. "
Nobody thinks it's the only way to have fun? Really? Then how come when I get offered alcohol when I'm with friends, and I say "I don't drink" they look at me and say "WELL HOW DO YOU HAVE FUN THEN?!" "
You have weird friends then.

@heatDrive88 said:
" @drag said:
That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. You ingest 10 entire bottles of vodka by yourself, and let me know if you still are alive in your chair by the end. "

You still kill yourself when you do that, alcohol didn't attack you, and forced its way into you. You decided to drink so much.
pieman32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By pieman32

Obvious, really. Srsly make pot legal. At least more people will be doing that, instead of booze. weed life, son.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#149  Edited By Gunner
@CL60 said:

" @Gunner said:

" @CL60 said:
Nobody thinks it's the only way to have fun? Really? Then how come when I get offered alcohol when I'm with friends, and I say "I don't drink" they look at me and say "WELL HOW DO YOU HAVE FUN THEN?!" "
your friends are fucking retards then. either that or they are under the drinking age, either way they are the people that give drinkers a bad name.

@heatDrive88 said:
" @drag said:
That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. You ingest 10 entire bottles of vodka by yourself, and let me know if you still are alive in your chair by the end. "

The vodka didnt just magically force itself down someones throat now did it? Its up to the drinker to be responsible enough to know that if you drink 10 bottles of liquor you're going to end up in the emergency room.
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By mazik765
@CL60 said:
" @Chabbs0 said:
" @CL60 said:
" Lol @ people in this thread acting like alcohol isn't dangerous. "
It doesn't have to be though, it's up to the person. "
No it's not. A lot of people make bad decisions when they're drunk. Because they can't think straight. "
A lot of people make bad decisions when their angry. Should rage be illegal?

Seriously though, yeah I agree that alcohol is dangerous, but it's something I think that has rooted itself in our culture to an extent that it will never be able to be taken away without massive protest. I think the issue the government has with weed is because they see the ability to hopefully get rid of the substances hold before it gets tot he same point culturally as alcohol.