• 168 results
Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Smarter_Martyr

I read the thread title as "Animal Elitism". I thought it was about how giraffes look down on the rest of the animal kingdom. How FAIL am I?

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#152  Edited By Shadow

that's true for some stuff, but a manga is a manga and a comic is a comic.  To me, there's a world of difference between the two.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By zombie2011
@Black_Rose said:
" @zombie2011 said:
" @Toxin066 said:
" Anime is for jerks.   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwfyzG59qsc "
Amen. "
OMG allmighty Jeff Gerstmann said something is bad! let's all blindly follow what he believes. "
What? i don't like anime because its fucking weird, not because jeff doesn't like it.  
Jeff's opinion: Anime is for jerks 
My opinion: Anime sucks ass.
Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#154  Edited By Termite

This thread is just plain depressing...

I'd just like to make a few points: 

1. It's true that Japanese people classify anything animated under anime for the most part. I know some people here (I live in Japan too, dontcha know) who understand the difference between the two but even they'll say "anime". Yeah, I don't like it. Anime should be called anime and cartoons should be called cartoons. 

2. As others said, if you're going to take issue with the lexicon of a subculture than you should be fair and take issue with others too. This has little to do with language, it's about the terminology that anime fans use. A carburetor should be a "device that blends air and fuel" now shouldn't it? 

3. Oftentimes the English equivalent to the Japanese terms are NOT more succinct or easier to use, making it stupid to change them. Shonen becomes "manga for adolescent boys", which we can all agree would be a pain of epic proportions to say over and over again. Some things, like kodomo, could simply be called "child comics" but I still think it makes more sense to keep saying kodomo since it fits in with the standard of using the original terms. 

4. When it comes to things like Shinigami vs Death gods, I think the words should be kept in their original forms simply because they are used so often and are like proper nouns. I dislike calling the shinigami death gods in the same way I don't like that when they show Sasuke (Ninja Warrior) in the U.S. they refer to Midoriyama as Green Mountain or something to that effect.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#155  Edited By zeforgotten
@Hailinel said:
" You sound more like an ass for taking the vocabulary of a subculture way too seriously. "
This
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#156  Edited By Afroman269
No Caption Provided
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#157  Edited By penguindust

I'm not going to deny that there are anime elitists.  Actually, one aspect of elitism, in my experience, was never mentioned in this thread so far and that is those fans who vehemently dislike any anime that has been dubbed into English.  I enjoy both English and English subbed anime.  Sometimes, I don't want to read the story.  I get lazy on occasion and there are some decent dubs out there.  I'm not saying that all dubs are worthy of viewing.  What 4Kids did to One Piece has been classified a crime against humanity, but on the same note, I've enjoyed a lot of good dubs, too.  In some cases, there was very little that I could perceive between the original vocal talent and the commercial English actors.  Of course, I'm not incredibly fussy.  

Secondly, as has been pointed out, every hobby has a specific lexicon that is used to describe elements within it.  Anime has an added asset of being a window into another culture.  And so, by reading and conversing with others about the hobby, you have an opportunity to learn something new.  If someone describes something as "shonen" or "shojo" and explains the meaning, then you've learned something new.  Learning is good.  

And, as also been stated, some English words just don't translate well.  In the One Piece series, "Nakama" is a very important word to the group.  The translation means colleague or comrade, but that isn't quite precise.  In the show/manga it means more like a bond beyond family and friendship due to the likeness of their chosen path in life.  It is said that you will never understand another until you walk a mile in their shoes.  That's what I understand the word to mean in the context of the show.  And, the English translation does not convey that same importance in a single word.   So, using the proper word is important in those cases.  

Most of all, there is no one rule that can be applied to all aspects of anime and manga.  Would someone use the same guidelines to judge Rocko's Modern Life, Metalocalypse or Disney/Pixar's UP?  They are all animated shows or movies but are each very different products.  Anime is very large, so you shouldn't apply the same rule set to each and every anime unilaterally.  If you want to refer to Sailor Moon as "senshi" or "scouts", it's whatever you feel comfortable with and is understood by your audience. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By ryanwho

People use elitism as a defense mechanism. If you're "elite", you can convince yourself that you're too good for certain people, not the other way around. Same reason a lot of antisocial gamers want to be called "hardcore" and separate themselves from the masses of people who now enjoy the same things they do. I feel sorry for elitists.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#159  Edited By Red

I think calling a manga a comic is too vague. That's like calling a Foreign Film just a film.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By evanbrau

Lol this thread is pretty out of control. I really don't like people using Japanese words for no reason whatsoever other than to try seem Japanese, "kawaii" in particular pisses me off but then I hate weeaboo idiots so it might just be a more general thing. I also hate anime so whatevs.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#161  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The whole anime fanbase/culture is definitely something that turned me off it a few years back. 

It's worst for things like Pokemon, when even though characters have established names that run through the games, anime and manga, such as Misty, certain people still refuse to call her anything but "Kasumi".  It's just.. ugh.  I don't want to lump all anime fans together, but it's pretentious beyond compare.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#162  Edited By LiquidSwords

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#163  Edited By luce

an internet fight takes about 10x more time from you than a real fight.

why bother?

sometimes people just need to learn when to agree to disagree

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By evanbrau

If we are posting comics:

No Caption Provided
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By penguindust
@evanbrau:  That was fantastic.  Bravo!
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Pibo47

I hate all anime equally. :)

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#167  Edited By AgentJ

I think the meaningful conversation is just about done here.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By evanbrau
@PenguinDust:  Yeah I like it, I just wish I knew what comic it was from.