Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By neoyamaneko
@Pazy said:
" @neoyamaneko said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @neoyamaneko said:
" @Black_Rose said:
" I don't see it as being "elistist" it's just a way to differentiate anime from western comics/cartoons. "
And therein the feeling lies/ "
Are you saying you'd feel better if everyone went back to calling anime "Japanimation?" "
Was that a bad term to begin with?"
To my ears it sounds wierdly offensive, though if we call it Japanimation why not call it Americamation or Europeanunionomation lol I beleive the word Anime derives from the Japanese word for western animation (Animeshon). "
They minimalize and abbreviate English words in Japanese all the time.   Look up "Japanese English terms".
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102  Edited By Pazy
@neoyamaneko said:
" @Pazy said:
" @neoyamaneko said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @neoyamaneko said:
" @Black_Rose said:
" I don't see it as being "elistist" it's just a way to differentiate anime from western comics/cartoons. "
Are you saying you'd feel better if everyone went back to calling anime "Japanimation?" "
To my ears it sounds wierdly offensive, though if we call it Japanimation why not call it Americamation or Europeanunionomation lol I beleive the word Anime derives from the Japanese word for western animation (Animeshon). "
They minimalize and abbreviate English words in Japanese all the time.   Look up "Japanese English terms". "
I know they do that, as do most cultures, but I dont get what your meaning.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By atejas

Whoo, more internet argument.

'shounen' and 'seinen' roll off the tongue more easily than 'old infant to young teenager' or 'teenager to young adult'. The demographic they refer to includes stuff that can't be non-awkwardly phrased in english.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#104  Edited By Hailinel
@neoyamaneko said:
" @Pazy said:
" @neoyamaneko said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @neoyamaneko said:
" @Black_Rose said:
They minimalize and abbreviate English words in Japanese all the time.   Look up "Japanese English terms". "
Your point being?  The English language has borrowed and adapted words from languages of all sorts, including Japanese.  Where do you think the word "futon" came from?
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#105  Edited By Black_Rose
@neoyamaneko said:
"Was that a bad term to begin with?  Just because one media is constructed differently from another doesn't change that they are fundamentally the same media.   Japanese movies are constructed different from Hollywood movies, but we don't call them "wasei eiga"....we call them Japanese movies. "
Yeah, but some Japanese people take offense when they hear the word "Jap" (it's a war thing apparently", that's why we call japanese music J-Music and not Japmusic.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#106  Edited By Jayge_

HATERS GONNA HATE. Jesus fucking tap-dancing Hector Christ.

neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By neoyamaneko
@Hailinel said:
" @neoyamaneko: "Japanimation" is not a Japanese word. "
Japan does more than it's fair share of describing phenomena in English speaking countries with comparatively weird words as well when there are perfectly good English words.  What makes Japan better?
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Hailinel
@neoyamaneko said:
" @Hailinel said:
Japan does more than it's fair share of describing phenomena in English speaking countries with comparatively weird words as well when there are perfectly good English words.  What makes Japan better? "
What makes Japan itself better?  What kind of question is that?
neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By neoyamaneko
@Black_Rose said:

" @neoyamaneko said:

"Was that a bad term to begin with?  Just because one media is constructed differently from another doesn't change that they are fundamentally the same media.   Japanese movies are constructed different from Hollywood movies, but we don't call them "wasei eiga"....we call them Japanese movies. "
Yeah, but some Japanese people take offense when they hear the word "Jap" (it's a war thing apparently", that's why we call japanese music J-Music and not Japmusic. "
Japan-imation, not Jap-animation.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By MrKlorox
@atejas said:

" Whoo, more internet argument.  'shounen' and 'seinen' roll off the tongue more easily than 'old infant to young teenager' or 'teenager to young adult'. The demographic they refer to includes stuff that can't be non-awkwardly phrased in english. "

7-12 13-18

That wasn't so hard. And look at that: even fewer character were typed.
neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By neoyamaneko
@Hailinel said:
" @neoyamaneko said:
" @Hailinel said:
Japan does more than it's fair share of describing phenomena in English speaking countries with comparatively weird words as well when there are perfectly good English words.  What makes Japan better? "
What makes Japan itself better?  What kind of question is that? "
Because you'll excuse it when Japan does it, but find "Japanimation" offensive and "not a word".
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#112  Edited By AgentJ
@neoyamaneko said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @neoyamaneko said:
" @Hailinel said:
Because you'll excuse it when Japan does it, but find "Japanimation" offensive and "not a word". "
Japanimation just sounds stupid. I'm glad it changed. Besides, not all anime is made in japan anyway. Black God originated in Korea. 
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#113  Edited By Hamz

Ladies and gentlemen can we all chill out a little? Stay calm and civil, be cool before we lose our cool?

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Pazy

I need to sleep so ill cap off the rest of my posts in this thread with these words.

Calling a "Comic" made in Japan a Manga instead of a Japanese Comic is not elite since they are so seperate things but I would agree that in the english sub, or dub, of an anime they shouldent leave -chan etc. at the end of names and instead try and find a way to make that information flow in the sentance like it would in a natural english sentance. While I would accept leaving Zanpacto (though it isnt spelt right) in the dub since it means something more than just "Soul Reapers Sword). That line for me is the line of an elitist, the fan-sub with -chan etc. all over it is potentially elitist but the dub with flowing sentances and japanese nouns, like Zanpacto, are not eliteist in my eyes.

As a sub-culture Anime and Manga fans are no more elite than Video game fans, automotive fans or fishing fans they simple express it in diffrent ways.

Avatar image for deactivated-61da50756e1e4
deactivated-61da50756e1e4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i don't even know the english equivalent of shonen, but i know what type of anime that would be. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Hailinel
@neoyamaneko said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @neoyamaneko said:
" @Hailinel said:
Because you'll excuse it when Japan does it, but find "Japanimation" offensive and "not a word". "
I believe your original argument was why are we using Japanese words when we have perfectly good English ones.  Japanimation is not a word that originated independent of anime.  Also, as AgentJ says, it sounds stupid.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Black_Rose
@neoyamaneko said:

"Japan-imation, not Jap-animation. "

Then why the hell should we call American animation cartoons? let's just call it Amerinimation! 

That's AMERI-NIMATION in case you didn't get it.     
neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By neoyamaneko
@Hailinel said:

" @neoyamaneko said:

" @Hailinel said:
" @neoyamaneko said:
" @Hailinel said:
I believe your original argument was why are we using Japanese words when we have perfectly good English ones.  Japanimation is not a word that originated independent of anime.  Also, as AgentJ says, it sounds stupid. "
Which is how we got into brevity of nomenclature.  Japanimation is a portmanteau of Japanese Animation.  Japan does this all the time, but no one bats an eyelash.  Abbreviating a word in such a manner in English doesn't make it any less of one.

And opinions on it "sounding stupid" are just that.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Hailinel
@neoyamaneko: So why not just call it anime and be done with it?
neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By neoyamaneko
@Black_Rose said:
" @neoyamaneko said:

Then why the hell should we call American animation cartoons? let's just call it Amerinimation!    That's AMERI-NIMATION in case you didn't get it.      "
Bitter much?  Just admit you read the portmanteau wrong.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Hailinel
@neoyamaneko said:
" @Black_Rose said:
" @neoyamaneko said:

Then why the hell should we call American animation cartoons? let's just call it Amerinimation!    That's AMERI-NIMATION in case you didn't get it.      "
Bitter much?  Just admit you read the portmanteau wrong. "
Now you're just baiting.
neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By neoyamaneko
@Hailinel said:
" @neoyamaneko: So why not just call it anime and be done with it? "
Because it's just not meant for Japanese style cartoons, perhaps?
In Japan, they don't call Wolverine and the X-Men a "cartoon".  It's called "anime" the same as the rest.
eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#123  Edited By eirikr

Something similar to this happens over at Last.fm for all the Japanese music artists. Of course, listeners have their names tagged in both kanji and romanized spellings and the two ways split up the total plays, creating a separate page for each name variant. Of course, all the fucking annoying ass shit whatever-the-hell-they-are have voted to keep the artists' kanji pages as the default ones. 

The problem is, most people can't display Japanese characters on their computers, so the romanized name page ends up getting the majority of the scrobbled plays. Say you're the top listener for the week for Nobuo Uematsu -- unless you have him tagged in kanji, you won't be on the vaunted default page. That's not really a big deal, but it's really irritating they are split up at all. What bothers me more is that I'm the only one defending the logic of making the more popular page (the romanized one) the default. 

As this is an example of someone else's stupid nerd ways (perhaps even Japanophile elitism) infringing on my own hobby, no, I can't stand it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Hailinel
@neoyamaneko said:
" @Hailinel said:
Because it's just not meant for Japanese style cartoons, perhaps? In Japan, they don't call Wolverine and the X-Men a "cartoon".  It's called "anime" the same as the rest. "
It's the definition that was given to the word when it was borrowed into the English language.

Would you prefer that English be policed much the same way that the French government strictly regulates what words are and aren't allowed as "official" French?
neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By neoyamaneko
@Hailinel said:

" @neoyamaneko said:

" @Black_Rose said:
" @neoyamaneko said:

Now you're just baiting. "
Me?   As if:
" That's AMERI-NIMATION in case you didn't get it."

after clearly reading the word wrong isn't baiting.  I had nothing to do with him looking for a racial term in the word.
neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By neoyamaneko
@Hailinel said:

" @neoyamaneko said:

" @Hailinel said:
Because it's just not meant for Japanese style cartoons, perhaps? In Japan, they don't call Wolverine and the X-Men a "cartoon".  It's called "anime" the same as the rest. "
It's the definition that was given to the word when it was borrowed into the English language.  Would you prefer that English be policed much the same way that the French government strictly regulates what words are and aren't allowed as "official" French? "
So, you're allowed to take the words from Japanese, but change the definitions as you see fit?
You want to make these distinctions for saying "this is Japanese animation!", when the Japanese (Shintaro Ishihara nonwithstanding) don't make the distinction themselves.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By AgentJ

If you are really advocating not having a seperate word for Anime and just calling it cartoons the way they do X-Men in Japan, then I doubt anything we say will get through to you

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Hailinel
@neoyamaneko said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @neoyamaneko said:
" @Hailinel said:
It's the definition that was given to the word when it was borrowed into the English language.  Would you prefer that English be policed much the same way that the French government strictly regulates what words are and aren't allowed as "official" French? "
So, you're allowed to take the words from Japanese, but change the definitions as you see fit? "
You don't get how this whole linguistic borrowing thing works, apparently.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Black_Rose
@neoyamaneko said: 

" Bitter much?  Just admit you read the portmanteau wrong. "

It's Jap-animation as much as it is Japan-imation and Japa-nimation. It's a ridiculous term that is uneeded because we ALREADY HAVE ONE. 
neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By neoyamaneko
@Hailinel said:
" @neoyamaneko said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @neoyamaneko said:
" @Hailinel said:
So, you're allowed to take the words from Japanese, but change the definitions as you see fit? "
You don't get how this whole linguistic borrowing thing works, apparently. "
I do, but you want to have it only when it suits you and your cause. 
@Black_Rose said:
" @neoyamaneko said: 

" Bitter much?  Just admit you read the portmanteau wrong. "

It's Jap-animation as much as it is Japan-imation and Japa-nimation. It's a ridiculous term that is uneeded because we ALREADY HAVE ONE.  "
Denial just isn't a river in Egypt.
neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By neoyamaneko
@AgentJ said:

" If you are really advocating not having a seperate word for Anime and just calling it cartoons the way they do X-Men in Japan, then I doubt anything we say will get through to you "

They call X-Men "anime" in Japan.   They don't discriminate.  Will you criticize their classification system as you are doing mine?
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By AgentJ
@neoyamaneko: You do realize that at this point you are the only one fighting your side of this? Maybe you should consider the fact that you barked up the wrong tree. Arguing that we shouldn't use "anime" to designate that sort of animation is ridiculous, and I doubt that was your original intention
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Black_Rose
@neoyamaneko said: 
Denial just isn't a river in Egypt. "
Ok, now you're just trolling.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#134  Edited By eroticfishcake

You guys still at it? You do know we're getting nowhere at this stage since everyone has their own opinions which in the internet, has the value of nothing.

neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By neoyamaneko
@AgentJ said:
" @neoyamaneko: You do realize that at this point you are the only one fighting your side of this? Maybe you should consider the fact that you barked up the wrong tree. Arguing that we shouldn't use "anime" to designate that sort of animation is ridiculous, and I doubt that was your original intention "
I'm arguing your fervor in trying to put Japanese animation on a pedestal when the Japanese don't even do that.
neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By neoyamaneko
@Black_Rose said:
" @neoyamaneko said: 
Denial just isn't a river in Egypt. "
Ok, now you're just trolling. "
Says the guy who just got finished mocking me because I called out his misreading of a portmanteau.
Pot, meet kettle.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Hailinel
@neoyamaneko: You are quickly wearing my good will thin here.  Perhaps I should recant my aplogy.

When borrowing words from another language, the meaning ascribed to it in its new language can either be identical to that of its parent language or adapted to fit as new terminology.  Perhaps it's something unique to the parent language's home culture, or perhaps its something that is merely used as a means to describe something that is different enough to warrant its own descriptor.

Case in point:  What an American typically thinks of as a futon (a bed that can fold into a couch) is different from the original Japanese concept of a futon, which is a mat that one lays out on the floor and folds up when not in use.  Similarly, in Japanese, anime refers to animation in general.  In English, anime refers to animation produced in Japan.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Black_Rose
@neoyamaneko said:
" Says the guy who just got finished mocking me because I called out his misreading of a portmanteau. Pot, meet kettle. "
Key word: mocking. Because seriously, your argument is laughable. 
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By atejas
@MrKlorox said:
" @atejas said:

" Whoo, more internet argument.  'shounen' and 'seinen' roll off the tongue more easily than 'old infant to young teenager' or 'teenager to young adult'. The demographic they refer to includes stuff that can't be non-awkwardly phrased in english. "

7-12 13-18  That wasn't so hard. And look at that: even fewer character were typed. "
Those are numbers, not phrases. And shounen is more 9-15, seinen 15-20-ish anyway.

Plus it's what they're identified with on their official pages and whatnot, it just sticks.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By AgentJ
@neoyamaneko said:
" @AgentJ said:
" @neoyamaneko: You do realize that at this point you are the only one fighting your side of this? Maybe you should consider the fact that you barked up the wrong tree. Arguing that we shouldn't use "anime" to designate that sort of animation is ridiculous, and I doubt that was your original intention "
I'm arguing your fervor in trying to put Japanese animation on a pedestal when the Japanese don't even do that. "
Like I said earlier, just because it has a different name doesn't mean we think it is better. I love Disney movies too, but there are some distinct differences between american cartoons and Asian ones, which is why I feel there should be a separate name. Just because the Japanese don't call our cartoons anything different doesn't mean we can't. 
NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#141  Edited By NoDeath
@neoyamaneko said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @neoyamaneko said:

" @Black_Rose said:
" @neoyamaneko said:

Now you're just baiting. "
Me?   As if:" That's AMERI-NIMATION in case you didn't get it."  after clearly reading the word wrong isn't baiting.  I had nothing to do with him looking for a racial term in the word. "
So your defence is: "but he started it!"

@neoyamaneko said:

" @AgentJ said:

" If you are really advocating not having a seperate word for Anime and just calling it cartoons the way they do X-Men in Japan, then I doubt anything we say will get through to you "

They call X-Men "anime" in Japan.   They don't discriminate.  Will you criticize their classification system as you are doing mine? "
But we're not talking about what Japanese refer to anime as, we're talking about western fans. There are many examples on both sides of words whose meanings have become slightly twisted over the language gap. In Japan 'Hentai" is an adjective that means someone who is perverted or sexually disgusting, however, say the word to any western fan and they'll instantly think of it as a noun referring to porn. Hell, Japan has a whole separate alphabet for words taken from other languages and many of them have had their meaning changed. This doesn't make the words any less valid in the whichever cultural context they might be said. 

I would like to note that during all this there is no value judgement being made. There is no arguing that anime and manga are distinctly different to western animation and should have its own descriptor for it. Saying otherwise is sheer stupidity. This does not mean that anime is better, just different.
neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By neoyamaneko
@Hailinel said:
" @neoyamaneko: You are quickly wearing my good will thin here.  Perhaps I should recant my aplogy.  When borrowing words from another language, the meaning ascribed to it in its new language can either be identical to that of its parent language or adapted to fit as new terminology.  Perhaps it's something unique to the parent language's home culture, or perhaps its something that is merely used as a means to describe something that is different enough to warrant its own descriptor.  Case in point:  What an American typically thinks of as a futon (a bed that can fold into a couch) is different from the original Japanese concept of a futon, which is a mat that one lays out on the floor and folds up when not in use.  Similarly, in Japanese, anime refers to animation in general.  In English, anime refers to animation produced in Japan. "
Well, when you re-enter a thread being condescending instead of being just downright hostile, the goodwill of the original aplogy is meaningless anyway.

And the futon analogy isn't very strong, either,  seeing how a western futon is an "evolution" of the original Japanese futon.  It took the original concept and "improved" on it so much that they became two different things, but they still use the same word.  Anime has been a general term in Japan for all animation.  The west never tried to improve or evolve the concept, but the fanbase has made the artforms separate from each other.

The East/West terminology of futon and anime are very divergent from each other.
neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By neoyamaneko
@Black_Rose said:
" @neoyamaneko said:
" Says the guy who just got finished mocking me because I called out his misreading of a portmanteau. Pot, meet kettle. "
Key word: mocking. Because seriously, your argument is laughable.  "
Nice reveal. Now who's the troll?
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Hailinel
@neoyamaneko said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @neoyamaneko: You are quickly wearing my good will thin here.  Perhaps I should recant my aplogy.  When borrowing words from another language, the meaning ascribed to it in its new language can either be identical to that of its parent language or adapted to fit as new terminology.  Perhaps it's something unique to the parent language's home culture, or perhaps its something that is merely used as a means to describe something that is different enough to warrant its own descriptor.  Case in point:  What an American typically thinks of as a futon (a bed that can fold into a couch) is different from the original Japanese concept of a futon, which is a mat that one lays out on the floor and folds up when not in use.  Similarly, in Japanese, anime refers to animation in general.  In English, anime refers to animation produced in Japan. "
Well, when you re-enter a thread being condescending instead of being just downright hostile, the goodwill of the original aplogy is meaningless anyway.  And the futon analogy isn't very strong, either,  seeing how a western futon is an "evolution" of the original Japanese futon.  It took the original concept and "improved" on it so much that they became two different things, but they still use the same word.  Anime has been a general term in Japan for all animation.  The west never tried to improve or evolve the concept, but the fanbase has made the artforms separate from each other.  The East/West terminology of futon and anime are very divergent from each other. "
And even when you put it that way, there is nothing wrong with the use of either word in English.
eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By eirikr

Sorry to get off topic (yeesh!) but stuff like this bothers the heck out of me, too. I guess Atlus was wrong to translate it to Demi-Fiend. Way to show 'em, fanboys! That'll really stick it to their gullet.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Black_Rose
@neoyamaneko said:
"Nice reveal. Now who's the troll? "

No Caption Provided
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Hailinel
@Eirikr said:
" Sorry to get off topic (yeesh!) but stuff like this bothers the heck out of me, too. I guess Atlus was wrong to translate it to Demi-Fiend. Way to show 'em, fanboys! That'll really stick it to their gullet. "
Yeah, that's just baffling.  Demi-Fiend is a sufficient translation, so I don't see why the need of some people to continue referring to him as that.  That's right up there with people that continue to refer to Teddie as Kuma.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Hailinel

As an aside, I find the nature of my participation in this thread ironic given that earlier today on another message board, I was actually defending Atlus's use of an English dub in Persona 4 from a fanboy that found the dub completely repulsive and refused to play the game without some sort of language patch to put the Japanese voices back in.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By AgentJ
@Hailinel said:
" As an aside, I find the nature of my participation in this thread ironic given that earlier today on another message board, I was actually defending Atlus's use of an English dub in Persona 4 from a fanboy that found the dub completely repulsive and refused to play the game without some sort of language patch to put the Japanese voices back in. "  
That's because you are a reasonable person and don't have to go full left or full right, but instead have a middle ground. 
eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By eirikr
@Hailinel: Hypocrite!!!!!

Not really, I often do the same thing. This is probably a topic for another thread, but I have such a love/hate relationship with anything Japanese it's really rather distressing, given the #1 hobby I've ever had is (mostly Japanese) video games, with #2 being listening to and collecting (Japanese) video game music. If it weren't for Shin Megami Tensei, I'd probably have written Japan completely off at this point.