Answer this question: Raiders of the Lost Ark is the best action/adventure movie ever made

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Poll Answer this question: Raiders of the Lost Ark is the best action/adventure movie ever made (141 votes)

Yes! I agree 22%
It's close but not the very best 37%
It's good but not in the very top tier 28%
It's OK but not among the greats 9%
It's not good 4%
 • 
nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Action/Adventure as something seperate from pure action? Yeah.

If action comes into play, Fury Road and The Raid: Redemption are strong contenders. The Good, The Bad, and the Weird also comes to mind as a personal favorite action/adventure film.

I’d call out some Sergio Leone, but westerns are a different beast.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It's a great movie but I find it hard to classify things in absolutes.

It's definitely up there as one of the all time greats.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BoboBones

Definitely different in tone, and I don't know if it really classifies, but Seven Samurai is most likely my pick.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I...I was a kid of The Last Crusade back in the day and have honestly never cared about any of the other Indiana movies if we're speaking truthfully. Temple of Doom I thought was fine, much like Dan, until seeing it later in life. I think Raiders is a good start and a fine movie, I just have no love for it other than it having Indy in it too. I think that probably sounds like blasphemy to a lot of people.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Tom_omb

I want the option between 1 and 2:

"Might be, it's up there, but I don't want to make a definite statement"

I picked yes. If we're talking Action AND Adventure it certainly holds extra weight.

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

How would you classify the original Die Hard?

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ltcolumbo: The way I see it, Die Hard is an action series. There’s no adventure to it.

I think of action/adventure as action films with...well...a sense of adventure. Puckish rogues, devil may care attitudes, exploration, vistas, and a sort of slight sense of humor about them. They don’t take themselves too seriously.

That’s always been my gut-take on action/adventure.

Die Hard 1 has humor to it, for sure, but it’s more of an action movie quip style of humor with some anti-government gags sprinkled throughout.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a new hope and empire strikes back are better than any indiana jones movie. Also you didn't ask a question

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By clagnaught

I'm an outlier who never thought Raiders of the Lost Ark was a great movie. If that sounds crazy, here's my actual take on it.......Raiders is a boring movie!

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed. Raiders of the Lost Ark is basically a perfect movie. The tone is slightly more serious than the others, although still campy. The Indy series became increasingly silly as it went on. The Last Crusade is also great. We do not speak about Crystal Skull.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd agree with the stipulation that action/adventure mean something more like adventure, which I'll admit is a vague as hell term but still. Movies that might compete in quality are things like Fury Road and Empire Strikes Back, but I feel like the adventure part of the label doesn't quite apply to them in the same way.

The big competitors in my mind are things like Star Wars (the original), Conan the Barbarian, The Mummy with Brendan Fraser (that movie is nearly perfect for what it's trying to be), Pirates of the Caribbean 1, and basically any of the old Harryhausen classics (Jason and the Argonauts, the Sinbads, Clash of the Titans).

Westerns have a number of strong contenders, but I'll avoid those purely for the sake of simplicity and the fact that such films all feel like westerns first, and adventure films second, whereas Raiders is an adventure film first and foremost.

But even as much as I like all those movies, Raiders easily comes out on top. It's not my favourite movie, but it's one of the few movies that I don't think could have been made any better in it's time, if ever.

Broddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unable to vote as there's no "Last Crusade is better" option.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's that good I've never seen it.

Bonbonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#14  Edited By Bonbonetti

It was OK, I'll watch it for sure if I stumble upon it on TV, but it's not something I seek out. Besides, I think Temple of Doom was better.

The best action/adventure movie to me is one of: Jaws, Aliens, or Predator. I could watch those every week and still not get bored. Technically I could add Seven Samurai and Yojimbo/Sanjuro, but I don't really place them in the same category in my head.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Adventure movies......
Indiana Jones movies are really obviously adventurey, lots of travel, lots of foreign lands, lots of cryptic puzzles, hidden paths and shiny objects, honestly i'm having a hard time thinking of other "action adventure" movies without reducing the requirements significantly.
I don't like Indiana Jones, to be honest i don't like most spielberg movies, so i might suggest:
The Bourne Identity
Goldeneye
Mission Impossible 2 (3 is probably better, but i have a soft spot for John Woo)
Shooter
Men in Black
Ong Bak 2
However one of my favourite movies of all time has little bits of travel and enough locations that i'd call it a little adventure:
Grosse Pointe Blank.

@nutter said:

The way I see it, Die Hard is an action series. There’s no adventure to it.

I don't know, John McClane adventures the shit out of that building, at one point he's abseiling off the side of it like you would a cliff.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame: You’re not wrong.

I just think there’s a globetrotting, massive sets, huge outdoor on-location, sort of qualiy to adventure films. That Die Hard lacks.

That’s not to say that westerns or Bond films are adventures, as they’re typically different in attitude. I think naming adventure films is easy, but defining them is pretty rough.

The Goonies is an adventure movie. Apocalypse Now, despite its journey, sets and locations, is not. Where Eagles Dare is probably an adventure movie, as much as it is a war/heist movie, but Three Kings is probably more straight action.

I think these are pretty solid write-ups as to what makes an orthodox adventure film:

https://thescriptlab.com/screenplay/genre/981-adventure/

http://www.filmsite.org/adventurefilms.html

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a big fan of Indiana Jones to be honest, so... no? Now, the best 'character going on a treasure hunt' kind of movies, then yeah, it's probably the very best of those.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like it a lot, but I don't think it's at the top. Excluding things that are explicitly sci-fi, like Star Wars, I think Jurassic Park would probably be my favorite action adventure film.