DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#51  Edited By DarthOrange

@rowr said:

O the promises they once made that it would never become this...

What? When?

Loading Video...

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

@super2j said:

@nictel said:

@akyho: I know what you mean, I tried it on Twitch but it would show an ad every 2 minutes, so back to AdBlock on. Advertisers really should learn to make simple classy ads.

well a simple classy ad wont stick in your mind and be assigned to a specific emotion. These ads that anger you stick in your mind better then some classy ad you will most likely forget in a few secs. The problem for ad developers is that we learned to fight back.

Loading Video...

I disagree.

Loading Video...

They are rare.

Loading Video...

But there are great ads out there.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Really.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By super2j

@nictel said:

@super2j said:

@nictel said:

@akyho: I know what you mean, I tried it on Twitch but it would show an ad every 2 minutes, so back to AdBlock on. Advertisers really should learn to make simple classy ads.

well a simple classy ad wont stick in your mind and be assigned to a specific emotion. These ads that anger you stick in your mind better then some classy ad you will most likely forget in a few secs. The problem for ad developers is that we learned to fight back.

Loading Video...

I disagree.

Loading Video...

They are rare.

Loading Video...

But there are great ads out there.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Really.

Ok, you have a point, but like you pointed out, its rare( and I will add harder) to consistently make cool interesting commercials. I have on occasion not skipped a commercial because it looked interesting, but that is a very very rare event.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@gkhan said:

@sathingtonwaltz said:

And this is why I use adblock, so I don't have to deal with this garbage.

You should come over to Premium Land, it's awesome over here..

I will be there soon enough !

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@sweep said:

@rowr said:

O the promises they once made that it would never become this...

Yeah, and look how that turned out. The site got sold. Them bones ain't going to make themselves, holmes!

Anyway, there have always been ads on the site. At one point we even had sponsored quests. All that's changed is that the ads are now more consistent and there is less control over what they are. However, if they are reported as inappropriate, the staff can have them removed.

For a site to have complete control over the ads they show is both a rare and privileged position. The content on Giant Bomb isn't the bullshit sensationalist nonsense or click-traps that dictate the ridiculous traffic of IGN and Kotaku, so they don't have that luxury of being able to pick and choose. That's the price. All things considered, it could be a hell of a lot worse.

There haven't always been ads on the site. They were at one time taking a fairly careful approach to how they were going to do advertising as they communicated through the bombcast. It's long past that though and they happily sold out on all that long enough ago that it's not even a distant memory anymore around here.

And i'm not sure what you are reffering to with IGN and Kotaku, the ad shown above is far worse than anything i've seen on either of those sites in quite a while.

I'm not really bitching anyway, i'm not seeing the ads. Just nostalgic for a time where people seemed to care and take some pride in the site.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Next time someone tries to guilt trip you into uninstalling Ad Block, show them this and tell them to go fuck themselves.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#57 sweep  Moderator
circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how Patrick post all these feminist articles then ads like that pop up.

You mean those like 4 articles like 5 months ago? Yeah, "all" of those feminist articles.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By fattony12000

They should advertise Giant Bomb on Giant Bomb.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr: If they didn't "sell out", the site wouldn't exist. Whiskey Media is gone for a reason. They weren't making money. They didn't get bought by CBSi because they felt like it. I'm not going to defend the ad but they don't have any input when it comes to this stuff anymore. That sucks but there aren't very many options.

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I thought it was funny when I got an ad that just said "need a girlfriend?" in big letters, but this is way better.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

So... what happens if you spank her?

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I whitelist the site on adblock and some do not get ads for some reason, other than sponsored links which always gives weird articles. When i do get ads its just a banner ad and a square ad on the side, nothing that gets on the way.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Rick_Fingers

Worst I ever saw when using the iPad (I think, something without adblock) was an ad for some shitty facebook game with a big titted pirate chick with writing saying "Only Men Allowed" or something, which I found totally fucking hilarious.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#66  Edited By deathstriker666

@milkman said:

Next time someone tries to guilt trip you into uninstalling Ad Block, show them this and tell them to go fuck themselves.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ads like that make me stay on the page long enough to crank one out, I'll give them that.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's all a conspiracy! They choose the grossest ads they can to nudge people toward a premium membership! Chemtrails!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

@toiletbob said:

I like how Patrick post all these feminist articles then ads like that pop up.

Yeah, Patrick's such a hypocrite. Designing that ad himself and selling it to CBSi just so it could show up on his own website. The Nerve!

He's referring to the irony of the situation. That he posts those articles and they can appear right next to an advertisement with a woman's (nice) bum. It's cheeky and it's funny.

Stealth puns rock.