Could something like the American Revolution be possible today?

• 72 results
WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By WEGGLES

This thread went to shit pretty quick.

Dom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Dom

Army vs Marines... eh?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By ryanwho

Its really not fair to use the Texas, America's regrettable panther tattoo, for an appraisal of the whole. Texas's lunacy really only extends to Texas (except Austin) and occasionally South Carolina.

Avatar image for buttonsmcboomboom
ButtonsMcBoomBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just mail out some masks and drive a train car full of explosives into the white house.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56  Edited By Shadow

We'll be nuking the shit out of California pretty soon here.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@ChristOnIce said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY:   And I wonder if there will come a day when America stops earning the bashing.  Perhaps when the country stops swigging its cocktail of immense power and immense ignorance.    We have top-level power, influence, and resources, yet we perform shamefully when it comes to education.  Our culture is permeated with pride and anti-intellectualism.  On the whole, Americans have a piss poor knowledge of history, and this is perpetuated by the priority given to nationalism over education.  The Texas State Board of Education (which determines textbook standards for most of the country) has recently sodomized the social studies curriculum to much applause.  The paradigm that wins in this country is "America!  We're fuckin' great!  We do no wrong, and everyone loves us!"  Facts are tossed aside for political sensationalism.  This is nothing new.    When we stop acting like our shit doesn't stink and make some attempt to change our image as a self-absorbed, monosyllabic thug, then perhaps we'll see less criticism.    Now, do you have an actual argument, or were you just hoping that bothersome evidence wouldn't come into play? "
I bet you read a lot of Chomsky. Am I right in that supposition? I'd also bet that you haven't spent much if any time outside of the U.S. Am I correct in that as well? 
dulmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By dulmonkey

@GreggD: as you say NO ONE has won those wars. they are on going. as opposed to the easy win that everyone thinks such a conflict would be. That was a huge factor of the American Revolution, we simply outlasted the British. and that's the same thing the Afganies did when the Russians were invading in the eighties, and its what they are doing now.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@ChristOnIce said:

" @GIVEMEREPLAY:   So, when presented with an argument, you respond with errant presumption?  Is this your normal course of action, or do you reserve this intellectual blitzkrieg for the many occasions when you have no knowledge of the issue or evidence for your position?  Quick tip on condescension: It doesn't work when the other guy is smarter.    I suggest learning to argue.  Granted, it involves opening books and straining the mind.  However, it will make you seem less foolish in the long run. "

You remind me of me when I was 16. Only more annoying. I don't intend to present an argument, just get a better perspective on where your disdain for the U.S. emanates from. Thus far, it seems very much rooted in Chomsky-esque thinking and ignorance of other countries. If you had spent any time in Europe, for instance, I think you would suddenly feel that we were far less retrograde than we seem. 
MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By MrSnow

DUDES VIETNAM - AMERICA - AUSTRALIA 

AFGHANISTAN - USSR 

NEED I SAY MORE. 

caps intended cause i was shouting.

TomWhitbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By TomWhitbrook

Pretty much, yes. As others have pointed out, Afghanistan, Afghanistan part 2: This time America tries, Iraq, Vietnam, Chechnya, Angola, the list goes on.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#62  Edited By Willy105

When I talked about this, I don't mean Americans doing another revolution, I meant other people. Americans already got their revolution, who are they going to revolutionize against?

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By keyhunter

I wish. If not, then I'll move to a country that isn't overly taxed, and I can actually get something for my hard earned money.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By babblinmule
@organicalistic_ said:
" @babblinmule said:
" @KaosAngel:  I die a little inside whenever i see you post in one of these threads.... "
me to,  he is a fuking asshole (no offense KaosAngel, just still super pissed 'bout your "Happy Hiroshima Day" blog "
That was him?!?! Oh dear god, and to think i tried to apologise to him! Good lord i still get a bit outraged whenever i think about that thread....
Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Nasos100

Yea but now USA is the evil empire.
And if you ask me i believe that today's world would be 10 times better if the states were under British control

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#66  Edited By simian
GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@Willy105 said:

" When I talked about this, I don't mean Americans doing another revolution, I meant other people. Americans already got their revolution, who are they going to revolutionize against? "

Uhh what colonial powers are there to rebel against then? 

@moron

And if you ask me i believe that today's world would be 10 times better if the states were under British control    

Yep, just ask Palestine, India and Africa. Brits did a bang up job with their colonies there.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68  Edited By trophyhunter

of course and a lot easier than you think

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#69  Edited By Skytylz
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" @Skytylz said:
" If the military still supported the government, it wouldn't be very likely.  How would we get rid of the tanks? "
Ask the Iraqi militias.  "
I don't know many people with RPGs and there isn't very many tanks being destroyed in Iraq. 
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#70  Edited By Gabriel
@Nasos100 said:

" Yea but now USA is the evil empire. And if you ask me i believe that today's world would be 10 times better if the states were under British control "

Excuse me?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#71  Edited By bacongames

Salutary neglect and technological limitations are what allowed the idea to grow in the first place and prevent Britain from fighting at full strength.

Manifest destiny was the last chance anyway had of rebelling based on being neglected for a while.  After industrialized man hit all corners of the globe that was yet uninhabitable, it was game over.  The international community would never allow another colony to be made (on Earth anyway), especially with other people there.  That is the only way a tried and true revolution will ever take place again.  Otherwise it will be nothing but civil wars and sectarian fighting as seen in the Middle East, Africa, and some parts of Asia.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#72  Edited By Willy105
@Nasos100 said:
" Yea but now USA is the evil empire. And if you ask me i believe that today's world would be 10 times better if the states were under British control "
Why?

What's so great that the British today, other than TV with less commercials?
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Jimbo

Probably not without outside help from a proper military state, but then, the American Revolution didn't happen without that either.  France had a vested interest in the success of the American Revolution (to weaken Britain), Russia supplied the Vietcong, the US supplied the Mujahideen, Iran is supplying the Taliban, etc. etc.

I think most of the developed world is probably too content to bother revolting anymore.  You don't revolt because you're a bit unhappy about how healthcare is structured for example - you need to be starving, oppressed or totally disenfranchised.  You don't really have vast empires with colonies being governed from across oceans anymore either, so that helps.  There are countries in the Middle East where you could still see a revolution, given the right circumstances, but they would probably need the support of the US - which they'd only give if it were in their interests of course, just as with France and the American Revolution.

I guess the closest (but still not perfect) modern day equivalent would be if the US tried to turn Iraq or Afghanistan into a colony, governed out of Washington.  Could the US keep a lid on that any more than the British could keep a lid on her various colonies over the years?  Probably not.  I think, if anything, that is less possible now than it was for the British a century or two ago.  The AK47 and the IED are too great an equalizer.  The technology gap between the 'Empire' and the 'Rebels' has effectively closed rather than widened.