Dexter Season 5. (Spoilers)

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By IkariNoTekken

Oh I'm probably the only one who saw this but during Dexter's breakdown I pictured this guy... 

Dexter screaming and his longer scruffier hair did it I think.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By Jeffsekai
@JJWeatherman said:
" @Synthballs said:

" @Osaladin said:

" @JJWeatherman: Yeah I forgot about that scene. Good ol' Dexter and his straight forwardness. "
I had to laugh at the "I'm sorry for your loss." "
I laughed at that scene too. Then I was like "man, I shouldn't be laughing. This is sad." So many emotions. Such a great scene. "
God the acting in the scene was so bad.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

To spice things up, Deb will proly jump into a gang bang next.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Osaladin

Aight, another episode down. 

Things I liked: 
1. Looks like we got another serial killer on our hands! 
2. The end of dealing with the kids for a while. Hopefully. (Aster is becoming another Rita) 
3. Oh Masuka, you so funny. 
4. Dexter didn't kill anyone. 

Things I didn't like: 
1. Fucking Deb and Quinn. Looks like this is going to last the entire season until Quinn is killed by Dexter for invading his privacy. I guess I'll just have to deal with it. 
2. Angel, stop being a bitch bro. 
3. Quinn's weight loss, that's all I could think about watching his scenes. 

Things that are in the middle: 
1. The new serial killer is an animal sanitation employee? (or, may just be a front, we'll see.)  
2. Potential new female detective hispanic police officer.  
3. Quinn going after Dexter, Arthur Mitchell's family fails at describing Kyle Butler. 

Overall, an enjoyable episode, looks like they are getting back into the swing of things. Look forward to hearing your opinions.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#55  Edited By JJWeatherman

I'm not convinced that this new serial killer will last very long. I don't know that he'll be a Trinity or Ice Truck Killer type of character, but maybe. I'm not nearly as bothered by the Deb/Quinn relationship. Overall I really liked the new episode. How could I not though?  :)

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Osaladin

I'm hoping that the stupidity of the new serial killer is just a hoax, and this dude is actually a genius. Which I doubt, because he forgot to clean the blood stains from inside the truck properly. 

I don't know what it is that bothers me so much about Deb and Quinn. It probably has something to do with me disliking Quinn from the very beginning, and that the relationship just seems kind of lazy on behalf of the writers.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By finstern
@dudeglove said:

" I fucking miss Doakes. I'm rewatching the first season and his snappy behaviour hits all the right buttons.    

Oh, and you owe me a new Michelin, you motherfucker.    

Oh, I fucking hate Quinn, never liked his character, too much of an asshole to really like, unlike Doakes.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ninjakiller

To everyone bitching about deb doing Quinn, wow.  She was acting out of grief and shock.  I thought it was great them banging. 

Quinn as Doakes reduex WOULD suck, I'm hoping the writers will be able to surprise us.

Spoilers about the big bad this season. Seriously don't click unless you want to know what's happening.

Ataxia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Ataxia

I thought the scene where he killed the guy in the bathroom was really out of place. he totally broke with his code and then it just continued on with no explanation being given, imo. great start to the season though, definitely one of the best shows on tv.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Anyone try to read the Dexter books ? They suck so much.  It is like how Buffy the tv series is way better then the movie but like 20 fold.  Praise be to the guys that adapted Darkly Dreaming Dexter into a successful and well written tv series given how stupid and hackey the book series is.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Osaladin
@bartok said:
" Anyone try to read the Dexter books ? They suck so much.  It is like how Buffy the tv series is way better then the movie but like 20 fold.  Praise be to the guys that adapted Darkly Dreaming Dexter into a successful and well written tv series given how stupid and hackey the book series is. "
I haven't read them, but my friends share your sentiment. It seems to be the overall consensus about those books, which to be honest, kind of piques my curiosity.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Osaladin said:
" @bartok said:
" Anyone try to read the Dexter books ? They suck so much.  It is like how Buffy the tv series is way better then the movie but like 20 fold.  Praise be to the guys that adapted Darkly Dreaming Dexter into a successful and well written tv series given how stupid and hackey the book series is. "
I haven't read them, but my friends share your sentiment. It seems to be the overall consensus about those books, which to be honest, kind of piques my curiosity. "
I actually just started the first book a couple days ago. I'm only a few chapters in. So far it's very similar to the first season, but I hear it takes some very different turns eventually. I think as long as you don't go into it expecting the exact same story as the show, then it'll probably be worth reading. I'll let you know when I get further though.
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Osaladin
@JJWeatherman: Please do, as I am genuinely interested in how different they are from the show.
Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Grillbar

was looking forward to the 5th season. the way season 4 ended i was alittle sketic so im kinda interested in seeing if this season is going to die on me or not. 
the only thing i miss about this season is rita. i could live with harry dying and doakes. but man im really gonna miss rita
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@JJWeatherman said:
" @Osaladin said:
" @bartok said:
I haven't read them, but my friends share your sentiment. It seems to be the overall consensus about those books, which to be honest, kind of piques my curiosity. "
I actually just started the first book a couple days ago. I'm only a few chapters in. So far it's very similar to the first season, but I hear it takes some very different turns eventually. I think as long as you don't go into it expecting the exact same story as the show, then it'll probably be worth reading. I'll let you know when I get further though. "
I read Darkly Dreaming Dexter a month or so before the premiere episode of the first season of Dexter and it almost made me not watch the show.  I should of known better then to read a book recommended by my mom.  I love my mom dearly but never trust the literary opinion of someone who's three favorite authors are James Patterson, Dean Koontz, and Rita Mae Brown.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By JJWeatherman

This thread needs to be resurrected each week. 

Last night's episode was crazy. I watched some season preview stuff earlier, so I knew Julia Stiles would make an appearance, but damn. I'm really really glad the animal dude's dead. I was hoping he wouldn't be a season long character. He was just too scummy for me to deal with every week. :P 

I thought the whole scenario where they tranquilized each other was really well done though. The scenes where they were facing off in the ambulance and then just after in the hospital were both awesome. 

Oh and what happened with Batista supposedly beating up the other cop?! 

Oh and Quinn's totally gonna expose Dexter! (Oh noes!!)

Great episode.

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By kelbear

The dual tranq scene was pretty intense.

Very interested to see how Dexter handles having a prisoner.  

Why do I get the impression that the nanny is going to be evil or something? That would be far too contrived. But as they pointed out so painfully through the episode, she's perfect (i.e too perfect). 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By JJWeatherman
@kelbear said:
"  Why do I get the impression that the nanny is going to be evil or something? That would be far too contrived. But as they pointed out so painfully through the episode, she's perfect (i.e too perfect).  "
I know! I got that feeling too. There's a lot of potentially interesting things the writers could do with her. I'd bet she makes a comeback.
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Osaladin

Ok, so, animal guy is dead, that is a big plus. I really hope that they get a new serial killer in this season soon though, or it may be another Dexter is the enemy again. Fucking Quinn, mind your own business. Mark my words, Dexter is going to kill Quinn. Batista, you gots to chill home slice, internal bleeding?!  

Overall, I loved this episode. That tranq scene was amazing, and the ambulance ride afterwards was just as much so. I'm extremely interested to see how Dexter deals with the captive girl seeing him and all that. I honestly think that it's going to be a case of, "she can't remember anything, because she was so weak." That nanny was probably part of the IRA, and either Dexter will sleep with her, or kill her. These are my predictions.

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#70  Edited By EVHKwick

I really hope Jules Styles seeing Dexter kill Boyd isn't going to be a season-long storyline.  

And I wish Quinn's pursuit of Kyle Butler being Dexter would take more prominence. We're a quarter through the season at this point. We need it things to be kicked into more tense territories.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Jeffsekai
@hack745 said:
" I really hope Jules Styles seeing Dexter kill Boyd isn't going to be a season-long storyline.   And I wish Quinn's pursuit of Kyle Butler being Dexter would take more prominence. We're a quarter through the season at this point. We need it things to be kicked into more tense territories. "
You must be new to Dexter. It only picks up during the last half.
EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By EVHKwick
@Jeffsekai said:
" @hack745 said:
" I really hope Jules Styles seeing Dexter kill Boyd isn't going to be a season-long storyline.   And I wish Quinn's pursuit of Kyle Butler being Dexter would take more prominence. We're a quarter through the season at this point. We need it things to be kicked into more tense territories. "
You must be new to Dexter. It only picks up during the last half. "
Yeah, I know. No reason it shouldn't pick up earlier this season.
MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By MisterChief

This is literally season 2. Julia Styles is Doakes.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By JJWeatherman
@hack745 said:
Why don't you want to see the Julia Stiles story line continue? I think it's a pretty interesting direction. Plus, you can almost count on it being a big part, they're not going to bring Julia Stiles in for one or two episodes. 

And how is Dexter's murder being witnessed not more tense territories? 

You crazy! :P
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#75  Edited By apathylad
@JJWeatherman said:

" @Osaladin said:

" @bartok said:

I actually just started the first book a couple days ago. I'm only a few chapters in. So far it's very similar to the first season, but I hear it takes some very different turns eventually. I think as long as you don't go into it expecting the exact same story as the show, then it'll probably be worth reading. I'll let you know when I get further though. "
I read four of the currently five Dexter books. The books are okay, I suppose. What's interesting about them is that the entire story is told through Dexter's eyes, so we know little about the secondary characters, such as Batista's personal life. Because of this, the books have a much more twisted sense of humor. I think I enjoyed the second Dexter novel more than the second season of Dexter, mostly because I couldn't stand Lila.   

For the curious, here are the main differences that I can recall between the novel and TV show: 

SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.

Edit: Dammit! Where the hell did my spoilers go! >_<
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Osaladin
@JJWeatherman said:
" @hack745 said:
Why don't you want to see the Julia Stiles story line continue? I think it's a pretty interesting direction. Plus, you can almost count on it being a big part, they're not going to bring Julia Stiles in for one or two episodes.  And how is Dexter's murder being witnessed not more tense territories?  You crazy! :P "
I agree.
EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By EVHKwick
@JJWeatherman said:
" @hack745 said:
Why don't you want to see the Julia Stiles story line continue? I think it's a pretty interesting direction. Plus, you can almost count on it being a big part, they're not going to bring Julia Stiles in for one or two episodes.  And how is Dexter's murder being witnessed not more tense territories?  You crazy! :P "
I think I'm not too shocked about Dexter's murder being witnessed because that seems to be a go-to storyline. Season 2: Doaks and trying to find the Bay Harbor Butcher. Season 3: Miguel. And now we have two people about to catch Dexter (one technically has with Styles, but we don't know how that's panning out yet).
MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By MisterChief

I'm still waiting for Peter Weller to show up. Where is Robocop!?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By JJWeatherman
@hack745 said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @hack745 said:
I think I'm not too shocked about Dexter's murder being witnessed because that seems to be a go-to storyline. Season 2: Doaks and trying to find the Bay Harbor Butcher. Season 3: Miguel. And now we have two people about to catch Dexter (one technically has with Styles, but we don't know how that's panning out yet). "
Aww man! I totally forgot about Miguel! Wow, that's crazy I completely forgot about all of that. I should really re-watch some past episodes. Yeah I guess some different people have seen Dexter kill. This situation is pretty different though. Idk, I'm excited about it.
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Osaladin

I just hope she doesn't become another Lila. Don't get me wrong, I loved Lila, but I want something different.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#81  Edited By Rhaknar
@Osaladin said:

"I just hope she doesn't become another Lila. Don't get me wrong, I loved Lila, but I want something different. "

pretty sure she´s dexter´s love interest in this season, so...yeah... 

edit: oh wait you said Lila not Rita, nvm.
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Osaladin
@Rhaknar said:
" @Osaladin said:

"I just hope she doesn't become another Lila. Don't get me wrong, I loved Lila, but I want something different. "

pretty sure she´s dexter´s love interest in this season, so...yeah...  edit: oh wait you said Lila not Rita, nvm. "
I'm telling you, the nanny is going to sleep with Dexter or he will kill her. Or both, as he is prone to do to the people that sleep with him.
MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By MisterChief

Deb was wondering why she left Ireland...

NubMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By NubMonk

I'm calling it now. The nanny is the one doing the cult beheading murders.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Osaladin
@NubMonk said:
" I'm calling it now. The nanny is the one doing the cult beheading murders. "
I think that is completely unrelated. If anything, it's the police officer that is riding around with Deb. As I said before, the nanny was part of the IRA and running from the government as a wanted terrorist.
jackbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By jackbag

Somebody just gave me these as a housewarming gift: 

Raddest coasters ever.
DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By DAFTPUNK

I'm loving Dexter so far been a fan since the start.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

" You want that house on the beach?  Take it.
You want that new sports car?  Then Take it.
Take it!  Just take it! "  

Best self-help I've ever heard from this season's
Dexter.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By ninjakiller
@Osaladin said:
" @Rhaknar said:
" @Osaladin said:

pretty sure she´s dexter´s love interest in this season, so...yeah...  edit: oh wait you said Lila not Rita, nvm. "
I'm telling you, the nanny is going to sleep with Dexter or he will kill her. Or both, as he is prone to do to the people that sleep with him. "
Julia Stiles would make a great nanny.  Now that the other one quit and all.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#90  Edited By AhmadMetallic
 I have faith in this show.. the hostage chick wont be his love interest. i KNOW it.  im tired of Dexter loving and fucking. i want him to be 100% killer this season

@Lind_L_Taylor
said:
" " You want that house on the beach?  Take it.You want that new sports car?  Then Take it. Take it!  Just take it! "    Best self-help I've ever heard from this season's Dexter. "
lmao xD  
BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#91  Edited By BBQBram

Mmmm, in my opinion, it will be very hard for them to top the amazing fourth season. It kinda felt like a lot of directionless re-hashing. Dexter's angst is getting a bit annoying. It's just so superficial how all his inner monologue just sounds like he thinks his fucked-up life is somehow cool and edgy. Quinn has annoyed me from day one, Deb was always kinda annoying when she was cursing or jumping into bed with everyone in sight, so those two together are double annoying, and obviously the writers are just doing this to give more weight and drama to Quinn suspecting Dexter and eventually telling Deb and blablablabla....this combined with the witness being held prisoner and the nanny potentially turning into Lila 2.0 (obviously something's going to happen, if not, most convenient plot device ever - she's just perfect y'all!) and the FBI being after Kyle Butler - sounds like season 2 all over again to me. At least that season had Doaxes, an antagonist to actually care about. It just seems as derivative of season 4 as season 2 was of 1, which worked then but feels predictable now.

It's not that I don't like the show, hell I think season 2 and 4 are some of the best TV I've seen, it's just that they should play the tension angle more and not pretend like their characters are even remotely real. I mean, it's one or the other. I thought Rita's death was Dexter's change to break through and feel something, and one could argue he kinda does, but they were setting it up so he would have to balance his personal demons and taking care of the children, providing a chance for some true character growth. Instead they rush (badly write) the kids out of the picture among with any actual emotion and catharsis, just to start setting up this season that's already starting to feel stitched together. 

And I didn't even mention LaGuerta and Batista's side-plot...who actually cares? And then there's the whole latina cop and the Santa Muerte cult stuff - are they cramming this in as well? Maybe it'll all come together in some kind of genius, unforeseen way, but probably not. 

Could somebody point out some redeeming qualities here, because it's getting harder to actually enjoy the show without cringing at the convolution every ten minutes.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By JJWeatherman
@BBQBram: Here's a tip: Just enjoy the show. No need to over-analyze everything. 

OK, thread revival time again, kids! 

This episode was pretty good. It seemed like a lot of setup, with What's-her-name starting to trust Dexter and all, but there were some good exciting scenes in there too like the police raid scene and the chase scene when the girl got away (damn, I just watched it and I can't remember her name, xD). Of course the big reveal at the end was that the dude that was torturing the girl wasn't the only one to torture her. She asked Dexter earlier if he was going to sell her, so there's obviously some kind of fucked up group of people that sell slaves to each other or something. I'm excited to find out more about that. And hey, the nanny's commin' back. I'm not necessarily a fan of her, but the writers must have something lined up for her. 

What did everyone else think?
jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By jayjonesjunior
@JJWeatherman: you are "over-analyzing" the nanny's role in this season, she is just a tool to keep the series rolling without too much of Harrison's interference in the storyline.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By JJWeatherman
@jayjonesjunior said:
" @JJWeatherman: you are "over-analyzing" the nanny's role in this season, she is just a tool to keep the series rolling without too much of Harrison's interference in the storyline. "
I don't think I did very much analyzing at all. All I said was she's back and something will probably happen involving her. That seems obvious to me. Don't you think it would be a waste not to do something more exciting with her?
jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By jayjonesjunior
@JJWeatherman: maybe, probably, but is it really what you want? don't you think too much "television" is kinda unrealistic, i mean, everyone, every character gotta have something fishy, can't be just... normal.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By JJWeatherman
@jayjonesjunior said:
" @JJWeatherman: maybe, probably, but is it really what you want? don't you think too much "television" is kinda unrealistic, i mean, everyone, every character gotta have something fishy, can't be just... normal. "
What're you talkin' about? There are plenty of normal and realistic people on television. Just watch a reality show, like Jersey Sho... uhh, OK watch The Real Wor... aw crap. You're right.  :P 

Idk, that's kinda the point of television shows: To have characters do a bunch of crazy shit that's entertaining and at least seems plausible. At least those are the kind of shows I like.
thomasriis1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By thomasriis1987
@JJWeatherman:
Me too man, that was really fucking awesome. I remember saying to myself right before she was found in the tub. "Oh shit, if they've killed Rita, that would be so cool. Show some balls all you Dexter writers" and they did. superb.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By ninjakiller

Another slow burn of plotlines this season.  So Julia Stiles got all messed up by somebody else besides the roadkill guy?  Is hesitant towards her family?  Speculation is killing me on how the writers are going to spin this setup.  I really hope it isn't another failed Dexter experiment where he creates another twisted/maligned version of himself.  Season 3 covered that angle pretty well, even if that season as a whole sucked balls.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#99  Edited By BBQBram
@JJWeatherman:  Is there something wrong with high standards? I love Dexter for certain things the show did well, but it was always a tad shallow and now the plot just seems so contrived and worse, typical for the series. Yes they can still achieve the same tension, but where's Dexter's character development? It's just not grabbing like season 4, which really shook it up. Season 4 rocked.
MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By MisterChief

Peter Weller!