Do you enjoy or hate the job that your currently working at?

• 104 results
falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you enjoy or hate the job that your currently working at? (336 votes)

I enjoy my job. 28%
I hate my job. 16%
I have mixed feelings about my job. 41%
I don't have a job. 16%

I'm curious to see how some people feel about their job. As for me I enjoy my job though that could change, but at the moment I don't really have problems with it. Every now and then it can be abit annoying dealing with costumers, but I'm sure eventually I'll get use to it.

• 
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

It's full time, it pays the bills, and I work with some decent people. But I can't help but feel empty most days when I come home. It'd be one thing if I had enough free time to do something fulfilling while not at work, but adulthood doesn't allow. The stuff I used to do to feel purpose has largely been killed due to time constraints, lack of motivation, and exhaustion. I'm kind of living for the weekends, but by the time they roll around I'm so drained physically and mentally that I kind of just shut off. I shouldn't complain, I mean I am totally aware that I have it pretty good. But, if I'm asked directly, I'm not going to lie about not having pictured myself here ten years ago. Heck, two years ago.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It pays incredibly shitty, but it's really easy and my boss is super flexible about hours.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

Best job I've ever had, easily. Sure, some days are better than others, but considering some of the jobs I've had in the past, to complain about any aspect of my current employment would be to lose sight of where I came from.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Ben_H

Mine's great. It is just a part time thing to keep a small income while I go to school. All my coworkers in my department are for the most part amazing and genuinely great people, my immediate supervisors are all super nice (and really flexible with my school stuff. If I can't work they just take me off the schedule. They never give me trouble and they understand that I am crazy busy with school due to the field I am in), the day goes by insanely fast, my shifts all start at the same time consistently (no early/late alternating garbage), and I get paid well enough. I go to work feeling no stress and go home feeling no stress. It's about as perfect as you can get for a part time student job.

I will be sad to leave it when I get my degree.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

It's full time, it pays the bills, and I work with some decent people. But I can't help but feel empty most days when I come home. It'd be one thing if I had enough free time to do something fulfilling while not at work, but adulthood doesn't allow. The stuff I used to do to feel purpose has largely been killed due to time constraints, lack of motivation, and exhaustion. I'm kind of living for the weekends, but by the time they roll around I'm so drained physically and mentally that I kind of just shut off. I shouldn't complain, I mean I am totally aware that I have it pretty good. But, if I'm asked directly, I'm not going to lie about not having pictured myself here ten years ago. Heck, two years ago.

Sounds like you have a pretty rough job, but as long as you can still pay bills. Then aleast everything will be worth it in the end.

It pays incredibly shitty, but it's really easy and my boss is super flexible about hours.

I don't get pay much either, but considering my background I can't complain, some money is better then no money.

@hailinel@ben_h Glad to hear you guys found enjoyment out of your jobs.

snoopdye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy my job and I would think i'm good at it because of the promotions and raises i've consistently received but management is unpredictable and it's the worst when managers either gossip about your personal life or try to tell you what to do with your life. I'll clock in and do my best, for the love of God I really don't need some bullshit therapy or drama. I work at a PetSmart. It's fun working with other associates and animals. But yeah. Management gets too personal and involved with you and other associates in the worst possible ways.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By korwin

I get paid well enough at my job but boy do I just feel empty inside. Unfortunately I don't know how to anything else nor am I particularly talented at much else.

Boy being an adult is bummer like... 75℅ of the time.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By SomeDeliCook

My parents own a grocery store, I work there, my brother works there, my wife will soon work there when she gets back from duty, and I have friends that work there and everyone else they hired is great.

Been working retail since I was 17 (almost 24 now) and the past few months since they got the store I have been extremely content with working there/for them. Even though I work 10+ hours and I show up everyday but still only clock in for 40 hours a week, I'm not waking up in a shit mood like I used to at my other jobs. I'm completely comfortable with where I am right now

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

@hatking said:

Oh boy. I'd say i'd want to avoid that as much as a job i'd hate. I'm doing internship and I feel empty sitting in an office all day. It's the main reason I plan to do something risky and follow my passion once I pass out of college. (although often the thought of doing something risky scares me and I get pulled towards doing something safe. That is equally scary too, though.)

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I work as a barback at a place where a lot of nationally famous local musicians hang out at, and only have to work three nights a week to make enough money to pay my bills and go out for drinks on the nights I'm not working (especially since I get half off at the bar). I've met a ton of cool people through this job and as a barback I have VERY little responsibility other than stocking the alcohol and closing out tabs, so yea, I fucking love it for the most part.

I have very little interest in bar tending itself, though. My brain's no good with recipes or people watching me expecting perfection. So there's not much upwards mobility at this place and I'd need a second job if I were ever going to make serious purchases (like, say, a car or new clothing or a PS4 or so on). Luckily I don't carry a massive impulse to better my life, I am quite good at enjoying stasis, especially considering I spent the past year and a half absolutely HATING my job.

Not only am I constantly receiving positive feedback from my peers and bosses, I've met some REALLY cool people, and learned some of the guys I harbored negative thoughts about when I only knew them for their albums are actually great people to hang out with, let alone work for.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Resident Assistant at my college. It pays decently well for a college student like myself (and it's the highest paying job on campus, apparently) so that's nice. Usually I have no problems with the people on my floor or in my building (or they get in trouble when I'm not around/on duty) but occasionally you'll get that one resident that always forgets to grab their keys before they leave their room and you have to unlock their door for them in the middle of the night, but really those situations have been few and far between for me. I liked it better when I was in another building that was closed because of budget cuts, but I can't complain too much. I just wish I could connect to my residents here as well as I did there.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good pay, good people, reasonably fulfilling work, and I'm making a bit of a difference in the lives of people.

I find my fulltime job satisfying overall, albeit with some bad days.

dmaggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I managed to get a web software development job in a city that I'm super happy to be living in. It was a bit of a career change (one I wanted) which resulted in me taking a bit of a pay cut, but I absolutely love my job. Not every day is the best, but I'm constantly learning something new and the people I work with are awesome. As of now I expect to be at this job for a while.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hate my job. My day is full of support and report writing. I am not a support person or a report writer. Fuck that shit. Luckily my friend Jameson helps me out night and hopefully I can give notice Friday or next week. Thank God, I am skilled enough to where jobs find me and I don't have to hunt.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Niceanims

I'm a game tester. The quality of the job is very volatile, depending on what you're working on, but it pays alright for where I am in life. Most of the people I've met are those I wouldn't want to hang around, but I've also met some of my best friends here. I've decided I want to go back to college, so if things go right, I'll be out of this job come December. I'm alright with that; I got into this job looking for a way to move up. After spending almost a year here, I've learned this job is a dead-end, and so I'll move on. The only sure thing about this job is that it's draining. Not having the time to do what I want and pursue my career goal has really been a damper on me. At college, I'll be devoting all my time to it, so I figure it's the best course of action. Game testing isn't for everyone, but some thrive on it, and those who do are rewarded handsomely. One guy I met on my first project here had only been here 8 months, and now he's testing at Bungie, literally his dream job. My pursuits lie elsewhere in the game development world, though.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By mrcraggle

I'm currently unemployed and have been for over 2 years now but I can only put the blame on myself. I studied photography at university and gained a BA but I left with so little helpful useful information and such a bad portfolio, I struggled in the real world. After 6 months I found myself signing on at the job centre whereby I eventually just gave up and got a job within retail working as a stockroom controller. I took the job as a source of income to help me with my photography but it was physically demanding where I normally worked 40 hour weeks but during sale times, 14 hour days weren't uncommon. I was just far too tired to even think about photography and despite it all, I wasn't even earning very much. I earned the same as the shop floor assistants who mostly stood around and talked to each other. After a year of working there, I snapped one day and couldn't take the bullying from my manager any more and quit. In hindsight, incredibly dumb move as she went on holiday one week later and never came back due to stress. I also just wanted to get out of the routine I found myself stuck in but over 2 years on, I'm no better off, probably worse as I now have a huge gap in my resume that's difficult to explain to potential employers during interviews and have a different routine but a horrible routine nonetheless.

This year has certainly been a lot better (2012 shall probably go down as one of the worst years of my life) and I feel, even if little by little, I'll get to where I want to be.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's okay. Minimum wage, but it's pretty easy. If I could find a better job and my current life situation would allow it, I'd take another one pretty quickly.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm a part time security guard at my college and I love my job. Can't really pinpoint why; it's objectively pretty shitty, what with all the belligerent drunks and the loud music and the late hours and whatnot, but I feel legitimately happy and fulfilled when I'm working.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I work internet tech support so my job is hell and it never gets better, only worse. I like everything about it except people that call into tech support. Not because they're stupid, but because most of them are mean. If you think commenters on the internet are bad, you don't know anything about how terrible people can be.

People that work on the internet have it easy. It's one thing if people are just writing text garbage about you; imagine having to constantly hear people scream and curse at you because they don't understand and don't want to understand how something works. You cant imagine the vitriol. I have to sit there and take it. It's the most psychologically demoralizing thing I can think of.

Despite that, I still love my job. Every once in a while you get someone that makes it all worth it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

... my job is hell and it never gets better, only worse.

...Despite that, I still love my job.

What!?

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ehhhhhhhhhh.

My job is REALLY easy. I pretty much just get paid to browse the internet. Some days I enjoy that, other days I wish I was being challenged. I mostly just wish I was making more money...

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

@cornbredx said:

... my job is hell and it never gets better, only worse.

...Despite that, I still love my job.

What!?

Hand jobs. They make every job better.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@mb: I don't know. What? You apparently only read one third of everything I said. It's pretty easy to just reduce things down and take away the context.

I get it. I only went into a lot of detail about the bad parts of my job, mainly because they stick out. I feel I adequately described my mixed feelings about my job, though. The follow up to why I still love my job does enough to say why I still love it. That and I work from home and that's always been pretty cool.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's "you're" and I love my job.

I'm an English teacher.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By falserelic

It's "you're" and I love my job.

I'm an English teacher.

You're right my mistake.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 3

Proofreading's daunting work sometimes, but I enjoy it on the whole. Pays decently, hours are flexible, and it's at least somewhat connected to writing. Would rather find a paying writing gig, but it pays the bills, so...

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I f***ing love my job. Work at a school for 6-9th grade students.

'

omencat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By omencat

Mixed feelings. I should feel grateful for my job. But it feels like everyone around me is doing way better, financially at least.

Pros:
remote work half the week
biking distance to office
build products that hundreds of thousands of people use
$120k / yr. salary

Cons:
high cost of living in area.
Cant afford single family home in my area (suburb)
Market pay is 15-60% higher if I work in the city center for same position

Looking to move closer to city center + new job. Also working on internet side business.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omencat said:

Mixed feelings. I should feel grateful for my job. But it feels like everyone around me is doing way better, financially at least.

Pros:

remote work half the week

biking distance to office

build products that hundreds of thousands of people use

$120k / yr. salary

Cons:

high cost of living in area.

Cant afford single family home in my area (suburb)

Market pay is 15-60% higher if I work in the city center for same position

Looking to move closer to city center + new job. Also working on internet side business.

Wow, 120K a year and can't afford a single family home? Something's wrong wherever you are.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

My current job is a lot better than my old one. The people I work with are much nicer, I get better hours, better pay and better benefits. But it's not a job I want to end up doing for all that long and my 45 minute commute kind of sucks.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By asurastrike

It's aight....

I will have my teaching credential in a year and a half, so my current job is good enough until then.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I didn't see a "absolutely loathe the living shit out of my job" option up there so I guess "i hate my job" will have to suffice.

Terrible managers, terrible hours, constantly getting my days off I've requested changed without them even telling me, yelled at for calling out when I had a fever, and some other stuff.

It pays okay but only reason I'm still at the job is I live in a pretty terrible place and only places that are hiring I would get 3 or 4 dollars less pay. Having no license hurts and so does school loans. Need a car to get a job that reflects my college degree but need that better job to get a car. 13,000 per year is utter trash.

omencat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal:

Agree. Top school district + rat race parents with money = housing bubble

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ehhhhhhhhhh.

My job is REALLY easy. I pretty much just get paid to browse the internet. Some days I enjoy that, other days I wish I was being challenged. I mostly just wish I was making more money...

What job is that? :O

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm assistant manager at a bowling alley. It's pretty chill and pays alright I think. Is $10 an hour good?

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@acidbrandon18: That's almost 3 dollars more than minimum wage in Florida. So it's okay? Still kind of meh unless you're in college.

Yillb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

I get paid well enough at my job but boy do I just feel empty inside. Unfortunately I don't know how to anything else nor am I particularly talented at much else.

Boy being an adult is bummer like... 75℅ of the time.

Hey that sounds like me to a T; among the reason's is that I've spent 3.5 years working by myself in a team environment.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38  Edited By Castiel

I've just started at a new job and I don't really know what to think of it yet. Honestly I feel a bit stressed out about it but I don't really know what else to do. I didn't sleep that well last night. I hate being an adult some times.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Chop

My job is great if you want to completely destroy someones soul.

It's boring, the people who work there are so goddamn bitter that it's contagious, the pay is shit and the hours are worse. Uh, it's stupidly easy I guess, but that's pretty much a minus as it makes the days slower than slugs.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By Humanity

It's ok, I don't mind it, but I can't see myself staying here for that long.

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like my work, but it's scary, and frustrating and boring every day. funny how you get used to it.

The only really bad part is that I currently have 2 managers and one of the directors (second highest position in the company) overseeing everything I do because of the particular person i work with. The director is cool but even though she knows things aren't a big deal forces the issue every time, but at least can joke about it, one of the managers is brand new and doesn't know what the hell is going on yet, and the other manager is a complete micro-managing pain in my ass who emails or texts me 5-15 times a day, and I only work 3 days a week. the other 4 days he's just communicating with me for no reason, it's like being on a spam list you have to pay attention to or you'll get fired.

The work itself is fun though.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yillb: I sadly know that feeling all to well. Want to quit and move up even if it's just slightly up one rung but don't know who would want me. I've been out of college for 5 years or so now and haven't had a chance to even remotely use my degree (BSBA Management). I got thrown to the corner and did my job too well. Now they don't want me leave said corner.

I would love to work in some capacity involving video games as they are huge part of who I am but even there I have that issue of lacking KSAs for all the jobs. And the ones I could be a part of are so inundated with people that it's such a huge god damn gamble. So it's just been a shitty job at Target. Doing tons of work and getting paid equal as the people during daytime that do jackshit.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NTM

I chose 'mixed feelings'. I wouldn't say I dislike it most of the time, but I don't really enjoy it. I think it's alright. The reason I really chose it is because while it's fine when I'm there, perhaps better than fine, I always, kind of dread having to go before. I almost always have to do something different when I'm there, so it always has me wondering what's next, and it's one of the leading things on my mind when I know I have to go the next day, like today, and how I have to go tomorrow, even though it'll probably be... Fine.

I don't like planning either, and I always feel like I have to plan what I can and will do before I go, like, should I spend my time playing a game, watching TV; a movie, or be on the internet, as well as when I should sleep and set my timer. I tend to not be able to stick to a schedule, making it so I'm up late or all night, though there are times when I would be on what most would consider a normal schedule. It's small, but it kind of annoys me.

As for this job though, I've never thought about quitting. It pays well and I don't have to work many hours (which sounds bad, but it's not to me), and I think it's nice that I'm learning a few new things along the way. Shoot, I said 'tomorrow', but I guess I mean I have to go in today. In thirteen hours. Oh, and I absolutely hate waking up when I'm trying to sleep, thinking "is the alarm going to go off soon, damn."

I also clean around the house a lot, but since I got a job, at times, I don't feel like doing it, because that's what my job consists of. Cleaning and fixing things. I do however think that, whenever someone asks me if I have further goals in life, like career wise, I do have things in mind, but it's not stuff I actually feel I'm capable of doing and it makes me feel like I'm stuck in a rut. My interests and career goals don't line up well at all.

elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

This. So much.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i've been at the place i work at for so very long, in really shitty positions, got to the point where i really wasn't going to go anywhere except management and fuck that, the big boss was starting to despise me and it was somewhat justified but it just added to the stress i had, and then at pretty much a perfectly fortunate time i got the chance to move to the corporate office. i languished at the entry level position answering phones for a long time before finally moving up the ranks recently. i'm not sure it's worth it and despite the fact that everyone seems to like me and think i'm doing a great job i'm feeling more stressed about my job than anything (confidence issues abound). i guess in the end i'm happy i got out of where i was the time i did but it may have not been worth it staying with my company for so many years.

also i'm having terrible back spasms and i'm afraid i may have to go to the hospital. :\

sixnahalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kinda at start i love my job but however management seems not working well they don't provide good things on their employees.

daanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By daanbro

Mixed feelings...

We have our own company and we're hired by a big company to do IT support and monitoring for their customers. I like that, because I like troubleshooting and testing new developed things. When we work remote, we are very productive.

But here is the side I don't like... In the office I feel like I'm working with people who have some kind of attention disorder or attention shortage. When I'm in I can do only 10% of the work, the rest of the day I'm responding to questions like: "What's that you have on your sandwich?, What kind of music are you listening?, What do you think of Iphone,Ipad, Android,etc?, Why do have that wallpaper on your laptop?, Who was that on the phone?, What's that what you're reading on your phone? Are you gonna buy this game? Do you have new headphones? Do you have this gadget or that gadget?" And than they so all their gagdet, which I've seen a hundred times...

If it's only for an hour or so, that's ok, but it's whole day long everytime we're in the office. Everything is watched and commented!!! It is so tiresome and becoming each time more difficult of being polite..

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I really enjoy working at the emergency animal clinic I'm with. I've been there for 5 years and I could see myself there for another 30. The people are great, the devotion of medical team is top notch, and we're always looking for ways to improve. They've taught me a lot, and I'm still learning. The pay is okay for someone in my position (Animal Care Assistant @ ~$13/hr), but I've been offered a much better salary once I graduate later this school year. The place still has its share of issues, but those do not include poor patient care.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Does it matter?

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HerbieBug

I like it, yes. The pay isn't as much as I would like; it is unlikely I will be able to afford to purchase real estate on this income -even just a small condo for me- but I would rather have this job than a better paying job that I don't enjoy. :/