• 184 results
Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

The new teaser for Star Wars VII is out and I was kind of surprised by the reaction it got. Not surprised that it was positive, but at the level of excitement in some of the comments. It goes beyond Kingdom Hearts 3 levels of fandom. You know, the screaming and fainting kind.

I like the idea behind Star Wars. The chosen one ends up going down the wrong path, so it's assumed that his son was the child of prophecy, but it was really the first guy all along. A great series of movies can be spun out of that thread, but for me, Star Wars is not a good execution of that idea. When I was a kid, I'd get excited for the prequels, because of course I would. The marketing for those movies is bananas. However, even back then I was able to see some of the flaws and cracks in the facade. By the time Revenge of the Sith came around, I knew that I wasn't in for some spectacular, immersive movie going experience. Just an action flick to be used as a conversation piece. Later on I became aware of how greatly revered the original series was, so I wanted to give it a try. After catching some of it on TV, it seemed nearly as bad to me as the prequels, only now it wasn't just cheesy, but also overly long.

That's my take on the series. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, I just wanted to know some other people's experiences with the series. Whether they enjoyed it from beginning to end, whether they soured on it at a certain point, or if they have an entirely different experience.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Episode 4 and 5 are ok. The others are just so boring. Different levels of boring for sure, but still boring.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the original trilogy and I'm excited for the new movie. The prequels were pointless. The producer for the old movies was right when he said, "I don't like the idea of prequels, they make the filmmakers back in to material they've already covered and it boxes in the story."

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The original trilogy was a major part of my childhood and something I still love unconditionally to this day. The prequels and the whole "extended universe" thing? Either terrible or forgettable.

Also, man that trailer got me good. I'm sure I'll be there opening weekend.

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, yes I do.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Junkboy

Not on the level of others, though I guess I fell into the Trek side of things. I am super excited for this one just because it's the 7th one with someone knew at helm and we don't get Star Wars often.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

A New Hope & Empire are brilliant films. VI is ok and 3 wasn't that bad even though it was cringeworthy at times. I despise I & have little love for episode II.

PrimalHorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By PrimalHorse

Love it loads, I can understand why people have become jaded but I haven't watched a trailer since 2013 for any movie and its increased the enjoyment of most media I consume, there was a time where I invested 100's of man hours into SW roleplay before SWOTOR came out, I don't think I'll ever be at that level of hype again but I'm ready to enjoy some wars again, I don't care if its kiddified, if its for the kids amusements cool, I know far too much SW lore than any adult should admit so I don't care about the official cannon, always fannon with star wars, lets lightsaber duel, cool ships designs and iconic dudes. Can't wait.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#9  Edited By fisk0

Yeah, I don't know. When I rewatched the original movies a few years ago I can't say I enjoyed them as much as I did as a kid. The Hoth battle is still great, but other than that I think I liked the Star Trek movies more, and few of them live up to the quality of the TV shows.

Maybe the prequel trilogy soured the whole franchise, or maybe it's thanks to the fact that the original versions without all the shitty 90's CGI hard to come by (and it was those "special edition" versions I rewatched), but the feeling I got was less that "the first three movies were great but then he screwed it all up", and more "I guess this franchise was always about selling figurines to kids, and maybe actually never was particularly good".

I certainly wouldn't go as far as saying they're bad, but I did enjoy many of the many movies and tv shows that happened because of Star Wars more than the actual Star Wars. In retrospect, I think I'm more fond of the 1999 Wing Commander movie.

That said, I guess I'll still watch the first of the new movies at least. I did see two out of three of the prequels after all.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Aesthetically, Star Wars IS what I picture by default when I think of sci-fi. Just the setting, with a bunch of random aliens interacting, rundown technology, there's a capital planet but they can't realistically keep an eye on the whole galaxy so there are plenty of places for something mysterious to hide (Yoda on Dagobah, secret Rebel base on Hoth, etc.).

It's got a cool look to it, and I think one of the things that people are excited for is that the couple trailers for the new movie look like they are harkening back to the designs of the original movies, as opposed to all of the sleek droid and spacecraft and vehicle designs of the prequel trilogy.

Punched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The original trilogy is great but also very overrated. The prequels aren't nearly as bad as some people try and make you believe.

A lot of it has to do with childhood memories. Star Wars was mind blowing when it came out and there was nothing like it at the time. I grew up in the 80s so I didn't catch the initial hysteria but was a fan of the movies before they redid them.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Star Wars is a really cool universe to me I like everything in it. Sure the story is pretty basic but everything around it is fascinating to me. Although not fascinating enough for me to give any shits about the expanded universe at all.

Maybe it's because I'm younger but I still do love the original trilogy and I'm excited for the new film.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By altairre

I like Star Wars. I think the universe is pretty awesome and light sabers are simply the coolest weapon. That being said there's a lot of really shitty Star Wars fiction with the prequels being some of the worst offenders. I will definitely see this movie but I'm still sceptical about it, since we know what happened last time and since Abrams isn't necessarily one of my favorite directors. The 2009 Star Trek reboot was a decent flick but I wasn't a fan of Into Darkness at all. Crossing my fingers though, a great Star Wars movie would certainly be an awesome surprise.

Punched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aesthetically, Star Wars IS what I picture by default when I think of sci-fi. Just the setting, with a bunch of random aliens interacting, rundown technology, there's a capital planet but they can't realistically keep an eye on the whole galaxy so there are plenty of places for something mysterious to hide (Yoda on Dagobah, secret Rebel base on Hoth, etc.).

It's got a cool look to it, and I think one of the things that people are excited for is that the couple trailers for the new movie look like they are harkening back to the designs of the original movies, as opposed to all of the sleek droid and spacecraft and vehicle designs of the prequel trilogy.

The thing about Star Wars (at least the first three) is that they match the definition of fantasy to a tee and aren't really sci-fi at all. I kinda of think that may be where midichlorians came from since Lucas wanted the movies to be sci-fi.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a hell of a teaser, god damn.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah but I don't think it's the end-all be-all of science fiction like it's so often touted as.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BisonHero

@punched said:

@bisonhero said:

The thing about Star Wars (at least the first three) is that they match the definition of fantasy to a tee and aren't really sci-fi at all. I kinda of think that may be where midichlorians came from since Lucas wanted the movies to be sci-fi.

The story (farmboy saves a princess) and Force and everything are very fantasy (and the whole good/evil thing), but I mean the design of the world is just the sort of space opera adventure that my mind defaults to when I think sci-fi.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Star Wars. That's a key distinction. It was huge during my childhood, and would be a goto throughout my teenage years. Then the prequels came out and ruined everything. Awful...just awful. I gotta admit though, that new trailer got me right in the feels. It seems to right all the wrongs from wackadoodle George over the past 15 or so years.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Wars is the kind of thing where I'm not really a big fan of the films, but I think the universe they are set in is great. I've always enjoyed Star Wars games, books, and even tv shows a LOT more than I have the films.

The only Star Wars film that I actually feel is a good film is Empire Strikes Back. Episode IV had terrible pacing, VI was a bit too goofy for me. As for the prequels... meh.

And if we are all being honest here, I know the opening text scroll is a big Star Wars thing now but I've always personally thought expecting your audience to read 3 paragraphs of text beforehand to give context to your film is bad filming. If it's important, work it into the film itself.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Not in years

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By cornbredx

Star Wars, the Empire Strikes back, and Return of the Jedi are awesome movies.

Episode 3 is ok.

Ep 2 is boring

Ep 1 is an awful movie

I like some of the Star Wars movies- a lot. They can be fun movies.

Edit: And ya, that teaser has me hyped.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Something you have to consider with the originals; back when they were released, society wasn't constantly bombarded by media, there weren't that many tv channels and even less variety in what was available to watch, most people didn't have anyway to play a movie on demand, it seemed like once a year Star Wars would come on tv and it was a big event; the whole family would sit down and watch and everyone enjoyed it.

It was also pretty much the first blockbuster film series ever and far ahead of it's time special effects wise; I think a lot of that is taken for granted now when you can be exposed to better effects in a tv commercial.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa
deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I was done, but that was Han Solo! It's surreal to be excited about Star Wars again. At least I have my nephew as an excuse for all the Lego sets I'm gonna end up buying.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Humanity

Hell yah

They're my favorite childhood movies. The originals are still really fun to watch to this day. Screw rational thinking, if it's all nostalgia and rose tinted glasses talking then thats perfectly fine by me, because it's my nostalgia. In all honesty when I heard Harrison Ford in that trailer I got really excited. Ever since they announced the prequels all those years ago all I could think of was how awesome it would be if they made the three movies after the first trilogy, and used the original actors because they would be appropriately aged - and it's actually happening!

So yah I'm super excited. I'm a fan. I really love everything about the Star Wars fiction, and it looks like JJ is doing right by them just like he did with Star Trek.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. The original trilogy especially conveys such a pure spirit of adventure that's missing from pretty much everything today. I don't think of Star Wars as being "deep". I just think it's really fun.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back are great movies. Return of the Jedi is alright. Those first two prequels are god awful but Return of the Sith isn't as bad.
I enjoy Star Wars games more than Star Wars movies at this point though. Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy are great, KotOR 1 and 2 are great, The Battlefront games, Republic Commando. Theres some pretty awesome Star Wars games. There are also some pretty shitty ones.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i love the original trilogy, but like many I hated the prequels. That combination of things and my deep dislike for the Star Wars reboot already headed by Abrams means I have little faith in this new trilogy, especially after how lazy that trailer was. All nostalgia without anything new to prove why I should believe in THIS movie.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm mostly indifferent. The original trilogy is fine but is pretty overrated; I get that they were mindblowing in the 70s but I don't think they old up in 2015, let alone in the 00s. The prequels: 1 is very clearly a children's movie and suffers from having a child actor in the lead role, but 2 and 3 are fine, and they aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, I might be back on board, that looked pretty cool. Why couldn't the prequel trilogy at least have had the retro look that this appears to have, would that have been so hard?

JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JDDrewes

I've always thought the series was overrated but I guess I can't fully appreciate how important the original trilogy was at the time. Nowadays the series mostly seems to be popular because of inertia.

I'll probably watch the new movie and check out Battlefront but I'm not too psyched about either. And I loved Battlefront 2.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Oh yeah. I was huge into Star Wars as a kid. To the OP, I'd also say you shouldn't judge the original trilogy off of a version they show on TV. Commercials break it up for one, and they always show the George Lucas post-meltdown version that's filled with really shitty CGI and Greedo shooting first. All that crap breaks up the pacing. The real originals are some of the fastest 2-2 1/2 hours in movies.

If you can find it (and it's hard these days, believe me), get a hold of one of the original versions, no later than the VHS remaster and watch that. Better yet, find one of the originals on the big screen if you can. I'm willing to bet Disney will have some theatre re-releases in advance of the new trilogy coming out.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#32 jeanluc  Staff

I grew up watching Star Wars so yes I am overly excited fully aware of how stupid I am.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I enjoy Star Wars Battlefront a whole lot. Empire Strikes Back is a real good movie. I will inevitably see the new film, but I'm way more hyped for DICE's Battlefront. Don't even care if it's a Battlefield reskin.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who doesn't at least enjoy Star Wars just a little?

and YES I'M SUPER HYPED FOR THIS AND IT PROBABLY WON'T LIVE UP TO EXPECTATIONS BUT WHATEVER.

Also Star Wars is fantasy, not sci-fi

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ezekiel
@lawgamer said:

Oh yeah. I was huge into Star Wars as a kid. To the OP, I'd also say you shouldn't judge the original trilogy off of a version they show on TV. Commercials break it up for one, and they always show the George Lucas post-meltdown version that's filled with really shitty CGI and Greedo shooting first. All that crap breaks up the pacing. The real originals are some of the fastest 2-2 1/2 hours in movies.

If you can find it (and it's hard these days, believe me), get a hold of one of the original versions, no later than the VHS remaster and watch that. Better yet, find one of the originals on the big screen if you can. I'm willing to bet Disney will have some theatre re-releases in advance of the new trilogy coming out.

I really hope Disney releases the unedited original trilogy in HD. Til then I'll stick with the fan-made Despecialized Editions.

I fear George Lucas already destroyed them.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's good stuff, and it's led to a bunch of great games over the years.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I can't contain the level hype in my body. If you don't see me post on the forums again, it's because I exploded.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By sodapop7

The original movies were a huge part of growing up for me (even in the 90s) as with many here. The prequels didn't hit me in any interesting way but I can't say I hated them at the time. I've not gone back to them so they've had little influence on my opinion of the series.

That trailer is hitting all those switches in my head again and I'm really really excited. I can't wait to go back.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Quarters

I think Episode III was the only movie that I actually legit liked. I think the trailer for VII looks boring as crap. Probably won't even end up watching it.

I do really like The Force Unleashed and the Knights of the Old Republic games though.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By Monkeyman04

Love the Original Trilogy. The Prequels have some ups, but mostly downs. Really liked them when I was younger. I love what J.J. Abrams has done with Star Trek and can't wait to see what his take on Star Wars is going to be like.

Edit: just watched that new teaser! THE HYPE IS REAL!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#41  Edited By monkeyking1969

I like it now, when I was 8 I loved it. As far as how excited I am about new movies...I would rate it just slightly below most other decent science fiction/science fantasy movies coming out.

This may not be a popular opinion, but the expanded universe of movies, books, comics, and anime have watered down the content just because of the sheer scale. Some of it is probably good, most of it is below average. Given the last three movies are unavoidably canonically and yet extremely poorly told stories - that just sours the whole series for me.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like Star Wars!

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Used to really like it, mostly due to everyone practically convulsing whenever they talked about it. Reached a point where I just didn't care anymore, which is where I still am. At this moment, for whatever reason, I don't think I could even stomach sitting through a single movie in the series, no matter which one it is. I don't even think it was those three movies that did it (although they are quite terrible); I just hit this point where I'm convinced there is nothing good to be taken away from the series except for a handful of great games and lightsabers. Like Lord of the Rings, it's just become one of those franchises I ignore entirely and only interact with when it's an unavoidable part of something I want to engage with (like Shadow of Mordor).

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the Clone Wars but hate the movies. I've seen them all so many times then none of them entertain me anymore. I've never seen the original unaltered versions though. I don't get the big deal about it. I find people's incessant whining about the films to be annoying. I find the idea of fan edits to be really stupid. I've only ever seen the Special Editions so the edits don't bother me. As far I'm concerned Greedo always shot first.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: It's considered to be a space opera, which is sci-fi.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NTM

I'm not the biggest fan of it, but I like it. I like the worlds, the tech, and the assortment of aliens they have, but I was never really into the films that much in terms of story (I don't care about the issues between Jedi's and what have you). I think a lot of the Star Wars games are really good, and whatever animated show is on (I think there are more than one, or even two) was decent too from the very few episodes I've seen. I'm not saying this as if you can't be a fan of Star Wars if you like this other thing, but I for some reason feel it's worth mentioning; I'm a much bigger Trek fan. I am somewhat excited for the new films, and I know I'm going to see them in theater. Seeing Solo and Chewbacca in the latest trailer looked more like they were doing a skit for a late night talk show than it was them in the film. So yeah, I enjoy it in some manner, though when it comes to sci-fi, they aren't what I get most excited over.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I got chills and don't care what anyone else thinks.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far I'm concerned Greedo always shot first.

There's a reason people get worked up over this.

Having Greedo shoot first negates Han's entire character arc. When Han shoots first, you know he's an asshole. A selfish, double-dealing, back-stabbing dickhead. This makes the end of the movie where Han comes back and saves Luke so he can blow up the death star more meaningful. Han overcame his nature for the greater good. Everything he went through in the movie changed him, and us as the viewers. We were made to care about the rebellion.

If Greedo shoots first, Han was always a good guy just caught up by circumstances. When he does his heroic act in the end, it's like "Of course he was going to do that, he's always been a good guy." It doesn't necessarily ruin the movie, but it removes a large part of what made it affecting.

There's a good argument to be made for episode IV really being Han's story, not Luke's. Harrison Ford was certainly a better actor. Hammill is incredibly whiny and annoying.

The prequels are fucking terrible.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

STAR WARS is awesome. I love it.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I used to properly be into the original 3 Star Wars films, but over the years I kinda care less and less, they're still cool, but I don't actively think ooh I'll watch those again. I probably won't watch this new one, not until it's on TV on Christmas day or something.