Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By buzz_killington

I am quite a cinema aficionado, but I don't get Quentin Tarantino. I enjoyed Pulp Fiction as an "entertaining" movie, not much else. It wasn't art, it wasn't Scorsese-material (like everyone was saying at the time "he's the next Scorsese"), it was funny and violent with some really good dialogue. After that I went back and watched Reservoir Dogs, and I didn't really like it. Then I watched Jackie Brown and I didn't really like it. Then I watched the two Kill-Bill movies and hated them. Everyone is like "Kill-Bill is amazing", "This is art" and stuff like that, but it seemed like a 15-year-old's day-dream to me. Nothing artistic, nothing funny, not even good dialogue. Then I watched Death Proof, and hated it. It is a tribute to B-movies all right, but it itself is a B-movie. I get it that it has a nostalgic quality for people who have watched those movies back in the day, but it took itself too seriously and wasn't funny enough to work for everyone.
Last night, I went and watched Inglorious Basterds. I get all the references to other movies, and I appreciate the absurdity. But does referencing great movies for the sake of referencing make a movie great, or artistic? I think not.  
And it's not just the art-house crowd who say he's brilliant. I hear 15-year-old-Transformers-loving-kids say how "cool" and "awesome" Kill-Bill is.   

Is it just me who doesn't get Tarantino?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

Anything after True Romance is terrible. You'll get people coming in here trying to defend Pulp Fiction etc but they're nothing more than the Family Guy of movies for me. In the same way that will rip something off verbatim and use the direct reference as a joke, Tarantino takes full scenes and ideas from other movies and because they're usually foreign, acts as if the audience won't notice.

Oh, wait, I forgot Samuel L. Jackson says nigger a lot and shouts in Pulp Fiction. That film is awesome.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ryanwho

I don't get why he insists on trying to act from time to time, he's absolutely terrible at it.

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dvorak

I'm quite a cinema aficionado...

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By torus

There is nothing to 'get'. He has the film-making mind of a teenager, and thinks he is really hot shit. He's not bad at directing, but his stories are nothing special.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Cube

I love Pulp Fiction, but really that's it.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By breadfan

Reservoir Dogs is one of my favorite movies ever

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By VWGTI

I love his films. I enjoy them for what they are.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryanwho

I wouldn't go that far. Tarentino basically directed Pulp Fiction the way he wanted True Romance directed (but he was just the writer there) and it was an interesting thing he started. I would say the first Tarentino movie you see will be a unique fun experience, probably, and every other movie you see of his following that will reveal how formulaic his directorial "experience" is. That's why Pulp Fiction is so classic, that was most people's first exposure to him and arguably it had the best cast he's ever assembled.

bulletbeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bulletbeast

dude, Tarentino is a brilliant director because he brings something really new to the table. I just saw Inglorious Basterds and thought it was one of the funniest and most entertaining movies ive ever seen. movies like Inglorious Basterds,  resevoir dogs and pulp fiction arent supposed to be fantastic well done masterpieces. theyre supposed to be entertaining, very violent and strong. I admit tarentinos work is not oscar winning but thats why theyre great.    
Tarentino is great because he has created his own style of movies, thios style is so clear that u could watch a tarentino film and know it was him. 
I also guarentee you that like them or not, you will never forget Pulp Fiction or Resevoir Dogs, they are strong movies that stick in your head, also, no one else does what tarentino does. nowadays there are a million Steven Spielbergs making expensive high budget hollywood blockbusters, but no one else makes movies like tarentino
VampireWhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VampireWhale
@bulletbeast: Agree 100%
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By buzz_killington
@dvorak:
Thank you grammer Nazi!
PlyrYaKA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PlyrYaKA

I don't think I've heard anyone call Tarantino "art". I agree, their not all great but at the time before they were all imitated they were really fresh and exciting. Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill both ocuppy a really brilliant, interesting and vividly created world and it's very fun to see such talented actors spouting off fantastic dialogue and lurid violence. 
I like the idea of a "Family Guy" of movies (i.e good for people who don't get all the FUCKINGAWESOME in the simpsons or futurama(well, before they went down hill)), but while they're not the simpsons, I think you could safely call Tarantino the "South Park of cinema" and that ain't no bad thing.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho
@bulletbeast said:
" dude, Tarentino is a brilliant director because he brings something really new to the table. I just saw Inglorious Basterds and thought it was one of the funniest and most entertaining movies ive ever seen. movies like Inglorious Basterds,  resevoir dogs and pulp fiction arent supposed to be fantastic well done masterpieces. theyre supposed to be entertaining, very violent and strong. I admit tarentinos work is not oscar winning but thats why theyre great.    Tarentino is great because he has created his own style of movies, thios style is so clear that u could watch a tarentino film and know it was him. I also guarentee you that like them or not, you will never forget Pulp Fiction or Resevoir Dogs, they are strong movies that stick in your head, also, no one else does what tarentino does. nowadays there are a million Steven Spielbergs making expensive high budget hollywood blockbusters, but no one else makes movies like tarentino "
A million Spielbergs? I can only think of a handful of people who would be capable of directing something as raw and powerful as Munich, and Tarentino wouldn't make the cut for sure. He'd get lost in his masterbatory conversation pieces and corn the whole thing up. Which is fine, like I said Im a fan, but Spielberg gets a lot of cutdown based on the kind of movies he really hasnt made in many years.
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By buzz_killington
@PlyrYaKA said:
"I don't think I've heard anyone call Tarantino "art". "
If I'm not mistaken, Roger Ebert once called Pulp Fiction "art".
Avatar image for deactivated-135098
deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen Inglorious Basterds yet so my comments may not have much weight in this thread, but in my opinion he's a master of his craft. He takes boilerplate story lines and flips them on their head to create a superb action film, characterized by smart dialog and, especially in regards to Kill Bill, excellent storytelling. All of it is over-the-top for sure, though he's definitely not "art-house" -- the opposite, I would think. He knows what he's doing and does it well. 

I'll probably get a lot of flak for this, since this appears to be a bash thread, but that's what I think about him. There was never a point where I 'got' him -- I pretty much became a fan when I saw Reservoir Dogs for the first time.

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By The_Dude

My friend Colin actually just wrote about Tarrintino the other day and pretty much everything he wrote I agree with so I will quote him.

"
On the internet, I stumbled upon a site that ranked the films of Quentin Tarantino. I thought I would go ahead and do my own, but first, let me express my feelings towards Tarantino. I personally see him as a phase. He seems so cool and suave and original when you first see his films; some even idolize him. However, one needs to grow up and move beyond Tarantino, further back down the history of cinema. This is what I did. In middle school, Tarantino was my hero. The older I got, the more films I saw, and the less impressive his films became. Today, I have seen most of the films that Tarantino took things from and put in his films in a shameless way. You could argue that it's a homage, and you could argue that everyone "takes things from older films" but his films are like montages of other films, and the pieces put together do not fit. There is no flow in his films, it's just one jump to another. The structure is never good because there is never a structure. The older he gets, the more silly the content becomes. I don't understand how anyone can take him seriously as a filmmaker anymore. Now, I have not seen Death Proof, and I don't plan on seeing Inglorious Bastards, but anyway, here we go:

1. Reservoir Dogs- Tarantino's first film was his best. This film is a promise; Tarantino says "I'm not quiet there yet. But soon I will be." Most say it was Pulp Fiction that was the answer to that promise. I think he broke it. This is a flawed film; let me start by saying that. The dialogue is a bit "too cool" for me, but that doesn't hurt it. The flashbacks do. They take too long, they really don't serve a purpose either. The first two don't bother me as much as Mr. Orange's backstory, which separates you from the actual story and throws you somewhere else. Suddenly your in a different movie; I'm surprised projectionists didn't get confused. At this point in the film we're pretty committed to the story. And just when things start getting really interesting, Tarantino breaks that flow, and when we return after the flashback, it feels like we stopped the film to do something else for awhile. And while we're seeing how White and Blonde got involved, why not Pink, who is a huge character in the film? It's really a shame too because it's a rather decent film otherwise. The performances are great. It's a film, like I said, that shows a lot of promise in a great career, much like Coppola's The Virgin Suicides. The only difference is that The Virgin Suicides survives it's flaws, and Coppola kept her promise.

2. Pulp Fiction- The most influential film of the 90's. That doesn't make it good. It is because of this film that we have our Lucky Number Slevens and all that goofy hipster crap. But that isn't Pulp Fiction's fault at all. The faults of Pulp Fiction are in it's structure, it's flow, and it's corny dialogue. This all seems interesting and cool at first, but it gets less and less so as I age. That is not to say this film is a failure, or course, but it doesn't save the film. We find ourselves jumping from here to there without any apparent reason. But worse then that there is no reality. Even the most abstract films need a dose of reality here and there, but these characters stepped out of a comic book and gave catch phrase after catch phrase, and when they ran out, the film ended. The way I see it, this is a film of redemption, a film about two men, one who is saved, and one who is not. But if that's the point, is the only reason for the Bruce Willis segment to show us that Travolta dies? If that's the case, should it take up that much time? Because the Bruce Willis segment is when the film seems to stop completely, and we have to wait for the story to continue again. It sticks out like a sour thumb, but it isn't even the sour thumb in Sin City (the scene Tarantino directed), this thumb takes up a good amount of time. It doesn't seem worth all of that time. There are great moments, like Travolta walking around his bosses home as Dusty Springfield's 'Son of a Preacher Man' plays, and Sam Jackson's wonderful speech at the end of the film, but overall, it just doesn't work for me.

3. Kill Bill Vol. 2- The problem with the Kill Bill movies (and I really cannot think of another appropriate word) is that they are dumb. They are silly, illogical, cartoonish things. There are kids movies made for adults. Maybe that's the whole point, but it still doesn't work. The second one, however, is a little more interesting. We have this band of killers, right, these six assassins that work for Bill. Somewhere between the attempted killing of The Bride, and The Bride coming out of her coma, the band has split, and haven't talked in years, not even Bill and Michael Madsen's character, who are brothers. What happened? Was it the attempted murder of The Bride, because they sure didn't seem to mind doing it in all those flashbacks. So what happened? I don't suggest a film should answer all your questions, but there are no hints; no theories as to why one is now a stay at home mother and one is now a bouncer at a strip club. This is too much left open. See, Tarantino knows his characters, and in his writing he forgets that we do not, and therefor his characters are not complete. Even when we aren't supposed to know everything about them, we don't know enough about them. His films are like swiss cheese. Full of holes. The last thirty minutes drag on way too long, much like the Mr. Orange backstory. No flow. If you liked or disliked Kill Bill, check out Truffaut's The Bride Wore Black. Same story, much better execution.

4. Jackie Brown- This film, more then any other is a montage of better films edited together into a choppy, silly, way-too-long-for-all-the-n

PlyrYaKA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PlyrYaKA
@buzz_killington: I stand corrected
Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By auspiciousqueue
@buzz_killington: Really, you hated the Kill Bill movies as well? Finally! I found someone who agrees with me.
bulletbeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bulletbeast

@ryanwho:
yeah but thats exactly my point. spielberg makes super duper award winning movies, but i personally say that Peter Jackson also makes amazing movies, im not critisizing spielberg all im saying is that they all fall into the same genre of high budget blockbusters with big stars and lots of special effects. Tarantinos movies are so different from anything else you se today. I u watched the video posted above, thats a perfect example of what tarentinos like, hes crazy, off the wall and doesnt give a flying fuck what people think of him.

and for the record, yes, i would call tarentinos work "art"

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho

I'd say Tarentino and Tim Burton suffer from the same problem which is they're auteurs with absolutely no versatility. Which is why a more versatile, talented director could do Tarentino better than Tarentino and Tim Burton better than Tim Burton. Even Guy Ritchie, who's a bit of a hack when you look at his body of work, out-Tarentino'd Tarentino with Snatch.

buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By buzz_killington
@auspiciousqueue:  Oh, yeah. The fight scenes went on forever (and they are not exciting or entertaining), too much pointless violence (I love violence when it's used to set the mood or tone, but I hate pointless violence), Uma Thurman can't act, and the scenes had no logical relation. It was like each one was from a different movie. It was as if a 15-year-old watched some westerns, read some comic-books, then watched a whole-bunch of anime, went to sleep and I was watching his dreams.
bulletbeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bulletbeast
@ryanwho:
dude, wtf are you saying.   no one can do tarentino like tarentino and no one could do tim burton like tim burton. Those are of the most dynamic non mainstream directors ever.  Do Not Mistake a strong style with non versatility. in a way i understand where your coming from, all tarentino movies are the same style and certainly all the tim burton movies follow the same style but thats why theyre brilliant, they do what no one else does, the insane, the abnormal. i dunno, maybe some one could do a better job but we'll never know...cus no other director has ever tried!!!   if any director ever manages to make a film following the same unique style of tarentino or Burton (with the possible exeption of robert rodrigues) i will strip naked and eat myself.
Tharrington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tharrington
  If you're going into a Tarentino movie looking for art; stop, turn around, and leave.  The dialogue in his movies is delivered and spoken in a way that no one in the real world would ever do.  His action sequences are ridiculous and over the top, not to mention absurdly bloody.  If someone finds art in that I'd be amazed, but I'm not going to his movies looking for it.  They are pure entertainment.

@buzz_killington: By the way, starting your post with "I'm quite a cinema aficionado" makes you immediatley sound like a douche.
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His movies are cool and all, but I don't see them as masterpieces

Avatar image for deactivated-135098
deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanwho: I can agree that Tarantino and Tim Burton are one-trick ponies. But they do that trick magnificently, and I disagree that they can be emulated. They can't. Imitated, sure, but they own their styles. 
JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JazGalaxy

I think Tarentino is interesting as a director and writer only in the sense that he's a movie creator for people who watch movies. 

I might not make sense with this, but bare with me:  

If I was going to introduce someone to comic books, I wouldn't start with something like Sam Kieth's "The Maxx" which frequently lept from the real world to a parallel world and didn't necessarily move in chronological order. Similarly if I was going to introduce someone to videogames, I wouldn't do it with a game like Wario Ware wherein every few seconds is a different objective. Those are, to some degree, media for people who already enjoy that type of media. It's content for people who are familiar with the rules. 

Tarantino is that kind of director. His movies aren't "straight" they're just playing around on-screen and that's the way in which I find them enjoyable. Like in Kill Bill, for instance, the scene with The Bride on the plane with her sword made me laugh. It's a stupid non sequiter, but I had never seen a movie make a joke like that before and so... I liked it. But overall I don't enjoy his films. I don't think I would like HIM very much and that comes through on screen. He's not a genious and he's not really an artist. he does get to theatres something that other people can't though and that's worthwhile.
thefreshmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By thefreshmaker

It's good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't care for Tarantino.  Pulp Fiction is a decent flick in hindsight, but after my first time watching it I was incredibly disappointed; it didn't come anywhere near the ludicrous praise that film receives. 

And I think the Kill Bill movies are just plain stupid.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lashe

Tarantino's work is most definitely art. 

The man is a genius, isn't afraid to mess with the audience, turn conventions on their heads and break away from Hollywood classic cinema conventions.

Particularly as a reply to @The_Dude's quote of Pulp Fiction, the film is deliberately out of structure, abstract in its 'flow' and filled to the brim with Pop Culture - it's kinda the point! The film was supposed to highlight the small stories of seemingly insignificant events, and not making a Hollywood-esq highlighting of the fast action of the film - that was the charm of it. The most memorable scenes in the film and those which are fixated on are not 'classic' or typical scenes of shootings and action driven events, but are instead the scenes the likes of which have the characters discussing the severity of a foot massage and washing a car after a shooting! I mean come on, have you ever seen Bond wash his car after taking someone out? Seems absurd to think of those things, and that's the very essance of the film.

As for 'abstract', If you want 'abstract' viewing, go watch a David Lynch film like Mulholland Drive -- Pulp Fiction looks like Finding Nemo by comparison!

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FCKSNAP

I love his movies. His movies themselves are love letters to cinema from ages gone by.

Also, Family Guy sucks so I wouldn't go so far as to compare his movies to such a terrible show.

Kreega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kreega
@bulletbeast said:
" dude, Tarentino is a brilliant director because he brings something really new to the table. 
His entire shtick is that he "borrows" heavily from the movies he watched growing up. There's nothing new about it, his films are a refined amalgam. 

It's kinda like what Blizzard did to MMOs/RTSs, if you wanna draw that parallel, except that Tarantino isn't as graceful.

All said, I'm pretty indifferent towards him. I can see and respect what he's trying to do (bring the movies that he always loved to people that have never seen anything like them before), but the results always turn out middling and tedious. I'd more heavily recommend taking a trip to your local independent video store and renting a bunch of old kung-fu VHSes.
thefreshmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thefreshmaker

Deep stuff, man.

buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By buzz_killington
@Lashe:
I don't think being abstract by itself makes or breaks a film. It works in Mullholland Drive, but it doesn't in Inland Empire. And David Lynch is an experimental director, not a brilliant director.  So I don't see wha you're getting at by comparing Tarantino and Lynch.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ryanwho
@bulletbeast said:
" @ryanwho: dude, wtf are you saying.   no one can do tarentino like tarentino and no one could do tim burton like tim burton. Those are of the most dynamic non mainstream directors ever.  Do Not Mistake a strong style with non versatility. in a way i understand where your coming from, all tarentino movies are the same style and certainly all the tim burton movies follow the same style but thats why theyre brilliant, they do what no one else does, the insane, the abnormal. i dunno, maybe some one could do a better job but we'll never know...cus no other director has ever tried!!!   if any director ever manages to make a film following the same unique style of tarentino or Burton (with the possible exeption of robert rodrigues) i will strip naked and eat myself. "
You should see Perfume: Story of a Murderer. Its literally the best parts of Tim Burton with none of the crap. Its also worth mentioning Burton's best known for "directing" a movie he didn't even direct: Nightmare Before Christmas. So I could make an argument for Henry Selick outdoing Burton, easily. Coraline was several leagues better than Corpse bride if you ask me. 
And again I personally enjoyed Snatch more than pulp Fiction, I guess that's all a matter of opinion.
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Otacon

Funnily enough I've just this second been having this discussion, I enjoyed reservoir dogs but otherwise I'm not a fan.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By jakob187

The only thing you need to "get" about Tarantino is that he's not a genius, but rather a rip-off asshole.  He barely has an original bone in his body. 

Hell, even his most famous quote, the Ezekiel piece from Pulp Fiction, wasn't originally written by him.  I'm not referring to the Bible, either

The problem is that in today's society of moviegoers, they don't know about all the originals, so they just take it that Tarantino is merely paying "homage" to past movies...when he's actually blatantly ripping shit from them and putting them into his movies because he can't come up with something of his own.  I'm sorry, take that back:  he came up with Reservoir Dogs...kinda...but it's not like that was a good movie in the first place.  Seriously, what's the point of a heist movie...if there's no heist to see? 

Mind you, I used to be a fan of Tarantino...when I knew nothing about cinema...before I ever saw anything by Leone or Shaw Brothers or Parks/Parks Jr., etc etc etc.  My eyes were opened up, and I refuse to shut them again.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ghostiet

Tarantino is an arrogant dumbass, who really, really disappointed me. Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are important and great movies, but his later work is simplistic and self-commending. While in his early years, he really sounded like a guy who is entusiastic about directing, now he's just a slimy punk who tries to be controversial by punching, insulting people and "hailing" ye olde times of cinematography in a poor way.

You could really compare him with Rodriguez - Robert made lots of crappy flicks, but even those were mildly entertaining becasue you could sense the fun he had when doing it. Tarantino's just sliding off from Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, but if he's not gonna make a decent movie in the next two years, those memories will fade away real fast.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lashe
@jakob187 said:
Seriously, what's the point of a heist movie...if there's no heist to see? "
That is the crux of the film, and that's the way Tarantino rolls. Pulp Fiction was the same deal with the 'action' scenes being out of focus when compared to what would normally be scenes which would be overlooked, or clipped in a classic Hollywood-style film. My post in the first page goes into a little more detail on that one.

@buzz_killington: It was a reply to something which @The_Dude quoted, claiming Pulp Fiction is abstract, but when compared to the likes of Lynch, it becomes very apparent that this is not the case, it wasn't a direct comparison between Tarantino and Lynch.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#40  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I really appreciate and enjoy the man's work, especially Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and his Robert Rodriguez joint ventures.  Sometimes, his dialogue feels too much like his own prior stuff (Death Proof is a good example of dialogue that feels a bit too familiar), but for the most part, I really enjoy the hell out of everything he's had a hand in writing.  He's responsible for the launching and rebirth of a lot of careers, too, which demonstrates his natural eye towards casting.  When he acts, he does a decent enough job as a creepy bastard (see From Dusk Till Dawn, which is one of my all-time favorite movies). 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jakob187
@Lashe: Right, but Tarantino acts like I give a fuck about "Like A Virgin" and the millions of other retarded pop culture shit he pulls up in that movie.  Seriously, that movie was boring slosh.  Sure, when I first saw it, I didn't think so.  Later in life, I realized how gullible I was.
HyBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HyBound

A good rule of thumb in the "is this art?" argument is this:

Entertainment reaffirms your beliefs, art challenges them.

Going by that mantra, Tarantino is based squarely in the entertainment category. Sure, he has a good sense of style and all, but his movies are there to entertain. 

That being said I can appreciate what his films represent: a modern take on a genre film. I absolutely love Sky Captain despite its ho-hum plot, acting and directing because of this. However, like what has been said before in this thread, overlong homages to older films that did what he is doing, better, is not a good way of film-making. It is a masturbatory excursion through cinema, nothing more. He does what a lot of musicians do when they do homages to The Beatles and such, use the style as a crutch to push through their own melody and ideas in a way that would befit that genre.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I absolutely love Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. I think they were great, hip, modern films. They had great casts, very real and natural dialogue, and some excellent performances. I can't say I entirely get Tarantino. The one that really throws me for a loop is Death Proof. Honestly, I've never been so disappointed by a movie. It really seemed like a movie that I would love, but it let me down, and it let me down hard. As for Kill Bill, I don't know, I've never been intrigued enough by them to watch any of them entirely. I've seen a few scenes here and there that I enjoyed, however, and should try to watch the whole thing.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lashe
@jakob187: I think it's just a case of to each their own, but I find Tarantino's work a good breath of fresh air away from the sheer shovelware that is the Hollywood formulaic, predictable, generic approach which is so deeprooted in conventions decades old that I just get bored watching a good number of films these days.

Plus it helps that the man knows how to create some fantastic shots - "foot massage scene" in Pulp was, one take, which is pretty unheard of in your typical Hollywood editing and directing conventions, which lends to pretty standard shot/reverse/shot snaps and suchlike (although Children of Men (Cuarón, 2006) did a damn fine job with its direction and is pretty on par with Tarantino's near-virtuostic use of the device).  
Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sabata
@KaosAngel said:
"
"
I actually saw Kill Bill when I was 12 or something with my mom.  She freaked the fuck out, I just kinda went, "Eh, it was ok."
birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By birchman

Inglorious Basterds was awesome.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By Black_Rose

What is there to get? There's nothing artistic about copying other people's styles and making movies out of order. I'm not saying he's bad because I've enjoyed a couple of his movies, but he is ridiculously overrated as both director and storyteller.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jakob187
@TheGreatGuero: Just watch Enter The Dragon, Game of Death, Once Upon A Time in the West, For A Few Dollars More, Street Fighter, and a little Kurosawa like Sanjuro...and you'll basically have Kill Bill...but WAAAAAAY fucking better.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've been marathoning Tarantino movies as of late, watching Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill Volume 1 this past week, and I think he's a fine director. I realize that with a lot of his films he walks the fine line between creating an homage to his childhood favorites and outright copying them, but to be blunt I couldn't care any less. I like his movies, even if they are carbon copies of other "better" films.  

Or maybe it's just because he's popular.....Nah, that'd never happen on the internet.  

In the immortal words of Leopold Stotch:

"I thought it was pretty good!"  

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By Steve_C

I've enjoyed his style and movies though i've yet to see everything he's done. He reminds me of Kojima. He's often self-indulgent, but Tarantino takes full advantage of the fact that he's in control and is possesive of his films. He tries so hard to craft his own vision of the movie, even if it's really weird at times.

Regardless of your own preference for the style of a particular director etc., I think creative mediums need more of these kinds of poeple.