Do you listen to foreign language music?

• 100 results
Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Quadrifoglio

Technically, I pretty much only listen to foreign music. I'm Danish, so American/English music is foreign to me, right? ;)

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I love music in foreign languages, but I don't listen to it nearly as much as I should.

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By JokerClown88

Does this count?    

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

I listen to a lot of Arabic artists like Haifa Wehbe and Fares Karam but since I'm Middle Eastern I guess that's not foreign. I listen to some French and Russian rap, Norwegian Metal , and, of course, a lot of English music.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By RHCPfan24

I have listened to some Sigur Ros occasionally. They are pretty good actually. They are from Iceland I believe.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56  Edited By Axersia

Well, technically all vocal music I listen to (which only makes up for a about half of the total music I listen to -- the rest are video game soundtracks) is in a foreign language as I don't listen to music with Dutch lyrics (and you'd be hard-pressed to find a Dutch person my age that does). However, I've never really looked at English as a foreign language as I've spoken it my entire life.

I don't have any problem listening to music that isn't in English, though. I've listened to a ton of Japanese music in my life (not so much lately as all my favorite Japanese bands sing in English) and my favorite Dimmu Borgir album is Stormblast which is sung entirely in Norwegian (I wish more Norwegian bands would do that).

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By xyzygy

Yeah, I listen to a lot of Sigur Ros and Mum. They are both from Iceland, I have every Sigur Ros CD they are amazing. Stunning. And Mum is an experimental band with the same type of sound as Sigur Ros, but with more instruments and sounds and just weird happenings. Also, Rammstein is OK. 

I hate Jrock and Jpop because their music is way too happy. There is no emotion in it... no feeling. Just catchiness and upbeat tempos.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#58  Edited By Hamst3r

Sometimes. A fair amount of my music library is in French.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#59  Edited By AgentJ

Oh yeah, for sure. Lessee: 
Chech 
Russian 
German 
Mexican 
Japanese 
Chinese 
Italian 
French 
English (as in from england) 

Those are just the ones off the top of my head

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Azteck
@TheGremp said:
" @Azteck said:
" See now, this is where you went wrong. Giant Bomb is an international site, meaning not everyone speak English.  For instance, I'm from Sweden but listen to almost only English music, meaning I listen to foreign music only. "
How did I go wrong there?  English music is foreign for you, thus the answer is yes...  It's universal.  I didn't ask "Do you listen to non-English music?", but rather to what isn't your primary language.  I know many people from other countries who speak english, yet almost exclusively listen to music of their own language.  So it's just as likely that someone would only listen to music in German, for example, as it is for someone to only listen to English. "
Ah, you had thought of it like that. My apologies.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#61  Edited By breadfan

Nope.  I like to understand what I am hearing

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By JJOR64

No.  There is probably some really great foreign music but, I listen to American stuff.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By mikemcn

Only one group.... and i only found out about them because they were on the colbert report. Im amazed anyone can rap in swedish lol, If the GRIN guys need a job they should start a Hiphop/Swing/jazz group like these guys.....

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#64  Edited By natetodamax

No. What would the point be?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By CL60

I listen to some Rammstein, and some Sex Machine Guns.

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By KillaMaStA

Ive listened to a fair amount of Rammstein as well. Ive been learning german for 3 years now though but I think that still counts.

At this point I wont count english as a foreign language although it technically is. In that case 99% of the music I listen to would be foreign.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#68  Edited By CoolDrMoney

I listen to the occasional Sigur Ros. That's the extent of my non-english music library.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#69  Edited By spazmaster666

These days, I listen to more Japanese music then American or British (i.e. Rie Fu, The Pillows, Crystal Kay). My Japanese isn't terrible so I can get a gist of what is being said. Been also getting into Mando-pop recently as well (I'm about 50-60% fluent in Mandarin) and it's surprisingly decent.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#70  Edited By sjschmidt93

Japanese music is badass. 

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#71  Edited By dethfish

If I do it's usually Japanese. For some reason I can listen to Jpop without going crazy.  I think it's kind of soothing listening to music in a foreign language.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By DragoonKain1687

Im from Argentina, so, naturally, I speak spanish. But my 2 fav bands are Motorhead and Skynyrd so yeah, I listen to a foreign language band xD. And from Japan, I only listen to a few artists, mostly video games composers like Nobuo (Black Mages) and such. If not, L' Arc en Ciel is my only J-band that I can listen.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By RetroIce4
@and333 said:
" Yep DJ Krush baby! Also Nujabes, and Shing02 "
Wow. I though Nujabes was just random saying. I am an idiot. The Pillows, Polysics, amd Maximum the Hormone. That is all the foreign. And Calle 13 because they are the shit.
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#74  Edited By spazmaster666
@Dethfish77 said:
" If I do it's usually Japanese. For some reason I can listen to Jpop without going crazy.  I think it's kind of soothing listening to music in a foreign language. "
It also makes me focus more on the actual music than the lyrics.
clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#75  Edited By clubsandwich

Well, since english is a foreign language for me, pretty much all the music I listen to is foreign music haha.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By iam3green

no, i don't listen to any foreign language bands. i don't like to listen to bands that don't speak english. i don't understand what they are saying so why listen. i do like ramstien but they dont' speak english. if they spoke english then i would listen to them.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#77  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'll very occasionally listen to Rammstein but that's as far as I'll usually go listening to foreign music.

axxiomatiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By axxiomatiq

Sigur Ros!

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By EvilDingo

Yes... Another one for the "English is a foreign language for me" crowd :-)
In fact I guess that means I almost exclusively listen to "foreign" music, when I come to think about it. 
I'm danish and even the local bands tend to sing in english.

However I have listened to songs in other foreign languages. I did listen quite a lot to a norwegian band called Kaizer's Orchester some years back, and I've been to my share of Rammstein concerts too. Also I've heard the 2 soundtrack albums for Hellsing extensively, and those are largely in japanese.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Cube
@EvilDingo said:
" Yes... Another one for the "English is a foreign language for me" crowd :-)In fact I guess that means I almost exclusively listen to "foreign" music, when I come to think about it. I'm danish and even the local bands tend to sing in english.However I have listened to songs in other foreign languages. I did listen quite a lot to a norwegian band called Kaizer's Orchester some years back, and I've been to my share of Rammstein concerts too. Also I've heard the 2 soundtrack albums for Hellsing extensively, and those are largely in japanese. "
Where in Denmark are you from?
tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By tokyochicken

Yeah I listen to a bit of GIRUGAMESH!

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cube said:

" @EvilDingo said:

" Yes... Another one for the "English is a foreign language for me" crowd :-)In fact I guess that means I almost exclusively listen to "foreign" music, when I come to think about it. I'm danish and even the local bands tend to sing in english.However I have listened to songs in other foreign languages. I did listen quite a lot to a norwegian band called Kaizer's Orchester some years back, and I've been to my share of Rammstein concerts too. Also I've heard the 2 soundtrack albums for Hellsing extensively, and those are largely in japanese. "
Where in Denmark are you from? "
Herning. 
I've actually just read the majority of the post before me now, and noticed that some 4 or 5 danes have posted before me in this topic. Not actually a bad representation for such a relatively small country :-)

Way to represent!!!
RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By RandomHero666

A lot of the the music i listen to comes from Finland, Norway and the likes. 
Rammstein happens to be one of my fave bands so.. yes Mr Gremp.. i do =D

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#84  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I do occasionally listen to foreign language music, but it's very rare. Even though most of her music is in English, this is the first song that came to mind:

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Black_Raven

All the music I listen to is foreign and most of it is in a different language, mainly German and Swedish.

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Aeterna

Yes I do, actually I don't listen to anything that is my mother tongue.  

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By AhmadMetallic

English is foreign to me and im a metalhead so yup :P

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#88  Edited By singular

The most music I hear is sung in English. But I guess that is just a coincidence and not a preference on my side.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#89  Edited By Gunner  Online

I listen to some Italian and German punk bands.. Not that i understand a lick of what they are saying, I just like the melody and beats.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#90  Edited By JJWeatherman

No, I like to understand the lyrics. However French rap is pretty funny so I have listened to that before.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Gav47

>_>
<_<

*cough
dopeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By dopeman

hell no.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#93  Edited By Tireyo

Yeah, I listen to foreign language music often. It's always nice to have and know the English translation.

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#94  Edited By Spiritof

Those j-pop videos make me feel like an old prevert.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#95  Edited By Diamond

Anything I like the sound to I listen to.  I'm not much of a lyrics guy, can't understand it, and when I do it's absolute dumb crap.  The exception being something like Leonard Cohen's 'Everybody Knows'.

For that reason I enjoy a lot of electronic music, no lyrics, nothing to make me think the song is dumb.  I've listened to songs from so many regions that I've liked...  Japan and Germany do have a lot of good music, but stuff from everywhere really.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#96  Edited By damnboyadvance

Nope. I've tried to, but it just doesn't work for me. American music is enough for me..

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By TheGremp
@Azteck said:

" @TheGremp said:

" @Azteck said:
" See now, this is where you went wrong. Giant Bomb is an international site, meaning not everyone speak English.  For instance, I'm from Sweden but listen to almost only English music, meaning I listen to foreign music only. "
How did I go wrong there?  English music is foreign for you, thus the answer is yes...  It's universal.  I didn't ask "Do you listen to non-English music?", but rather to what isn't your primary language.  I know many people from other countries who speak english, yet almost exclusively listen to music of their own language.  So it's just as likely that someone would only listen to music in German, for example, as it is for someone to only listen to English. "
Ah, you had thought of it like that. My apologies. "
It's chill, bro. 

And yes, I just said that phrase.  I now hate myself.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By MrKlorox

I mostly listen to music with unintelligible vocals (ie: metal). So language doesn't really matter as long as the tone, cadence, and flow is correct. And most metal (regardless of originating country) is presented in English.

Oh, my favorite station in GTA4 is the reggaton station, San Juan Sounds. I don't speak a lick of Spanish but I love bass.

However actual Hip-Hop needs to be in English for me to enjoy it.

edit: and 'foreign language" refers to anything not in English since this topic was posted on an ENGLISH forum. I don't care what the OP contorted it to mean after the fact.

edit2: and Rammstein hardly counts. I mean single syllable words (with the exception of the few two-syllable words beginning with 'ge' or ending with 'en') are the extent of their lyrical capabilities. A first-year German language student would easily understand and master every one of their songs... and that's still pretty generous.

Metamorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Metamorphic

English, Spanish, Japanese, and various other languages from Europe that I don't know.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#100  Edited By buzz_clik
@and333 said:

" Yep DJ Krush baby! "

Weird. Just before coming in to check this thread, I was listening to Danger of Love by Krush. That guy's bloody rad.

And to answer the actual question, yep I sure do. Well, I'm Australian, so everything's a foreign language to me... ;)

This would have to come close to being my favourite. Amazing tune. The swelling choir at the end sounds like Solaar stepped into a Castlevania game.

EDIT: Damn, I just listened to this tune for maybe the billionth time (true story) and I still get goosebumps in that last section.