Ever caught a classmate blatantly cheating?

• 188 results
BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Poll Ever caught a classmate blatantly cheating? (557 votes)

Yes (and I reported them) 4%
Yes (and I did not report them) 51%
No 12%
IT WAS ME! I AM THE CHEATER! 19%
[show results] 14%

I get that a lot of the specific things you are quizzed and tested on in school ultimately aren't life-and-death important, but if you can't be bothered to have the integrity to honestly do your own work (especially at a university), AND you're arrogant/stupid enough to do it in plain view of other students, then I sure as fuck don't mind shooting an email to the professor telling them about it.

So I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the matter.

• 
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Don't be a snitch. If people want to cheat, let me them cheat. How does it effect you? I've definitely cheated a fair share in my day.

The only time I really got caught was when I was taking a Spanish test and I was looking up words on my phone. I accidentally hit the speech button on Google Translate and all of a sudden, my phone started speaking Spanish in the middle of class. It was embarrassing but my professor was cool about it.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Don't be a fucking rat.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Cheating was the only way I passed my sales class. And I also got some girl to pass that same class. So yay "Having MS Office on your phone", feature.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nekroskop

Snitches get stiches.

Does it even matter if the person in charge cheats? Once he gets into the job market, he'll lack the skills and get most likely fired for fucking up. Cheaters always get caught in the end, it's not your job to be the cheat police.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen it, but unless it's widespread(like someone selling cheat sheets), there's no reason to report them. They're just grades. What I have usually done is later question them about cheating and try to convince them to not cheat themselves. Though, ultimately it's up to them whether they want to learn or not.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, I've caught plenty of people cheating, especially now that almost everyone has a Smartphone on them. I never bother reporting them though. They'll (probably) get bit in the ass at some point for refusing to learn it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mike

Where is the "YES - and I blackmailed them" option?

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've caught a lot of people in my schools cheating. Hell, some of them were cheating off of me but I didn't really care and just ignored it. Speaking of cheating, I have a friend who blatantly lies on his job applications. I'm waiting for all of that to come bite him in the ass.

markies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Everyone has to do what's right for them, but i won't report them.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

This is a tough question. While they might be cheating themselves by being dishonest, what if their future employment is a position where their actions can influences the well-being of others? Say, someone's cheating to get through med school to become a doctor or nurse or pharmacist. Should you report that person for cheating? I've never met anyone who simply cheated just to get good grades and I've also never reported anyone, but I can't really say I was right in doing so.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I haven't. But if I did catch somebody I wouldn't report them. I am no snitch.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Hunter5024

In 9th grade I had two classmates copy off of me for nearly the entire final in my English class. I did not report them, because cheating off of me was its own punishment. I skipped that class all the time. We all ended up with like a 40 percent. The moral of the story? Just because you have a classmate whose a nerd, doesn't mean they are smart. It probably means they never study because they're too busy playing Runescape and stealing Yugioh cards from Target.

As for everybody saying that they're only hurting themselves by not learning the material, I ask you this: when was the last time you had to solve an equation with variables on both sides of the equal sign?

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By awesomeusername

Fucking narc.

Seriously though, I haven't cheated on a test since probably 8th grade. So like 8 years ago. That's mostly because I didn't do shit didly squat in high school. I'm in college now and don't cheat. Kind of. Okay! A girl gave me a couple answers on my last French test. But it's not like I would've failed! Those answers were probably a point each, still would've passed. So shut it you narc.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We all ended up with like a 40 percent.

Beautiful.

when was the last time you had to solve an equation with variables on both sides of the equal sign?

Exactly, fuck math.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Sure have. I just minded my own business though.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never actually snitched but did try to keep people cheating off my paper unless I liked them, in which case I didn't mind as long as it didn't become a habit.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, in my GCSE German class we used to have to learn around 30+ words a week, in which we would be tested on. As we all hated German we quickly progressed from hiding the words near us during the test, to just making up reasonable marks to tell to the teacher as we marked each other's work. I think all of us failed German, but it was a really shitty school.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

No one likes a snitch.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam said:

Don't be a fucking rat.

Also don't be a rat.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, it's kind of hard to get through life in this day and age without cheating...

Zuljin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SNITCHES GET STICHES!

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By abendlaender

No way I'd ever report that. I cheated a lot myself cause fuck Latin. As long as they don't bother me I don't care what they do, if they start whispering "Hey...hey dude. What's the answer to 5a?" then I get annoyed but other than that? Never. Why would I even do that?

@bocam said:

Don't be a fucking rat.

Also don't be a rat.

Also don't fuck a rat
emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Cheating seems punishment enough for cheating. You'll never learn anything that way. I just leave them be.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I honestly can't remember, but I'm going to say yes because I'm sure I have.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amatureidiot: Back in the day when I had to do audio recordings to cassette for my GCSE German, our German teacher forgot two major flaws to this. Firstly we could do it at home, which allowed me to write out the whole passage out of paper and record it by reading off the sheet. Secondly, the teacher said I could pause the tape recording in case I get stuck. This allowed me to pause the tape and turn the page over so the recorder didn't pick up the sounds of paper being turned over. I was THAT meticulous.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By davidwitten22

I never reported anyone for cheating, even when they were blatantly doing it, because it seems like the teachers responsibility to proctor their own tests. If they give a test and then leave the room for twenty minutes they're pretty much telling you to cheat. In the real world you're supposed to use all the resources that are available to you to do your job. I'm not going to pretend that someone copying down the US Presidents names in order of election instead of memorizing it is some appalling act.

Avatar image for deactivated-650f737f2e2d5
deactivated-650f737f2e2d5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never actually snitched but did try to keep people cheating off my paper unless I liked them, in which case I didn't mind as long as it didn't become a habit.

Came in to post this exact same thing. Also when it happened, made sure that they changed at least one or two of the answers to help avoid getting caught.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plenty of times, but I never told. When I was in school alot guys was affiliated with gangs. Snitching really wouldn't be a wise thing to do.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not that I remember. I wouldn't care. I didn't live in Japan, where students are ranked against each other.

Cheating seems punishment enough for cheating. You'll never learn anything that way. I just leave them be.

Assuming it's useful knowledge. I've forgotten most of what I learned in school.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I'M THE CHEATER!

Loading Video...

Seriously through, I only cheated on a test once when I was about eight years old. Didn't get "caught" exactly, but our answers were too similar to be a coincidence (especially since we sat next to each other) so I lied as much as I could to get out of it, so we both ended up retaking the test and I actually studied for it, but I didn't want to go through that again so I didn't cheat again.

I can't recall ever seeing anyone blatantly cheat though a few friends have likely admitted to the act before but I never said anything about it because either we were in different classes or because we were in different grades.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

During my Leaving Certificate (like SAT's but irish) the supervisor just upped and left during our technical drawing exam for about twenty minutes. After about 5 minutes, the entire Hall was passing around sheets and copying eachothers work. I am pretty sure every last person cheated. The guy came back and was none the wiser. If not for those twenty minutes I probably would have failed and had to repeat the entire year while all my friends went off to college without me. Fuck that noise!

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys are making it seem like everyone's in the mob. "Snitches get stitches" and all that jazz. Yes, in school, I would see so many people cheating, but I never reported them, because it worked itself out right in front of my eyes every time. It was so delicious.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only ever really saw cheating in primary school. If I didn't like the person and they cheated off me I would report them. Otherwise it didn't bother me.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By splodge

I certainly wouldn't gain any pleasure from seeing other people get caught. People do things for different reasons. Some people resort to cheating out of performance pressure. Indeed I have known highly intelligent kids who would sometimes cheat for fear of having to face the music at home when they didn't get perfect grades. I concede that that isn't why most people cheat on exams, but it's not always black and white.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Everybody is a cheater. Those on the bubble of failing cheat to pass. Those who want a little bit higher score to move up from a C to a B or a B to an A cheat. Those at the top of the class cheat to stay ahead of the rest of the top of the class. The teachers all know it. The teachers always catch them. The teachers always do nothing about it.

It's to the point now that in my business classes at university they let you bring in a sheet of paper with notes on it and in my English classes they tell you all the questions before hand so you can prepare an essay in advance. If the cheating is part of the curriculum then it's not cheating, and grades go up, and it looks like the teachers have done a good job.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Dark
@zomgfruitbunnies said:

This is a tough question. While they might be cheating themselves by being dishonest, what if their future employment is a position where their actions can influences the well-being of others? Say, someone's cheating to get through med school to become a doctor or nurse or pharmacist. Should you report that person for cheating? I've never met anyone who simply cheated just to get good grades and I've also never reported anyone, but I can't really say I was right in doing so.

Medical professions generally have a very lengthy trial after the testing, if they cheated their way into becoming a medical intern for example they will be caught out VERY quickly by people who actually know what they are doing. Generally with most high risk jobs have a supervised period where these people will get found out rather quickly, hell in Australia it takes 2 days to get a fork lift licence and that quite literally requires a 100% theory test completion and 100% practical test completion. One single incorrect answer or slight mistake in practical leads to a 'fail'

Cheating a practical exam is quite another story.

MidNVis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone cheats. The stakes can be high. I never really cheated because the stakes were rarely high, but I know that whenever they were I cheated my ass off. I'd trade answers with friends or whatever it took.

Actually my favorite example of my cheating prowess was about 10 years ago I got this crap call center job, but it had a 5 week training course. The tests were all on computers, and the people with the highest averages got first pick of shifts. That was important enough to me, because some of the shifts were terrible. Well the test program would tell you if you were right, and the right answer if you were wrong, immediately upon answering the question. Thing is you couldn't just hit "x" and close the program, but I guess nobody else but me and my friend knew how to ctrl+alt+del.

I finished with an average of 98.8 haha Nobody questioned it. Then they put me on the floor and I had no idea what I was doing and just kept transferring customers to friends and family for a laugh. Man I had great shifts though!

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

High school story incoming. Chemistry class, the test was to fill out a blank table of elements. Simple enough test for someone who would actually study such a thing, and by study I mean memorize. On this morning I was a bit anxious because I hadn't memorized much. But then, something happened.

A couple kids, stereotypical high school troublemaker types, went up to talk to the teacher and while one was talking to her, the other taped a filled out table of elements to the front of her desk. Holy shit, there's no way this is going to work, I thought. But the test began and ended and she never saw it. On the way out they snatched it off the desk and threw it away. Did I cheat? You're damn right.

Next day she tells the class that she found out about the cheating. Somebody snitched. I'm sure it was someone who actually did study and wanted to feel like they didn't waste their time. We had to retake the test the following day but it had bought me enough time to cram and get a decent grade.

The end.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By alwaysbebombing

What kind of monster would report a classmate for cheating?

mikethekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mikethekilla

snitches get stitches and wind up in ditches.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, and im no snitch. I even moved my arm so she could see the answers better.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Were you one of those kids that would construct some elaborate barricade of books and binders on your desk for every test? I always found that hilarious.

Anyway, in high school I remember everyone cheating, especially in classes like calculus and algebra where 90% of the material would be irrelevant to most people after they graduated. A popular choice in those types of classes was to choose near constant cheating instead of actually bothering to learn the material because most people felt the concepts were meaningless beyond a high school classroom.

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By captain_max707

In my AP US History class last year one kid somehow found the exact test that was being used for the final online. He missed just one answer. I'm not sure if that was just a mistake or some sort of genius, but our teacher thought he was a savant. Pretty much everyone in the class knew he did it, but nobody told. He was a pretty big jerk, and I definitely considered telling, but in the end I figured that I did really well just with my own effort, and if he can somehow deal with being a cheater after spending a year working his ass off (or maybe not, seeing as he was willing to cheat on the final), then more power to him I guess. I didn't really want to waste my time on him.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I never saw all that much cheating when I was in college. Maybe a few little things here and there, but nothing all that egregious.

High school was another story though. People were cheating their ass off all the time, but I generally just ignored it. I kept my head down, got my straight A's (...almost, there were a few B's in there), and got the fuck out of there.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By Nasar7

School is just a game and the system is stacked against you. Take all advantages you can.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like cheating in high school is fine for some students. I did so little work that cheating wouldn't even help me, so I didn't cheat... but all the "smart" kids cheated their asses off. Our high school gave the students so damn much homework that if you were in honors classes and band/track/whatever there was almost no way for you to do it all and maintain your sanity. The smart kids would sit at the same table in study halls and at lunch and just pass around homework to copy each-other. On tests? That's a different story. I don't think many people were able to cheat or had the balls to risk the repercussions.

Don't think I ever saw any cheating on college tests, either. If I did I definitely wouldn't have reported it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By Video_Game_King

@bocam said:

Don't be a fucking rat.

Why?

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course, I've never reported anyone though. Would be pretty hypocritical since I did it a bunch in high school. Never got caught.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#50  Edited By irrelevantjohn

Honestly, if they are cheating then it's very unlikely they are gonna pass if they are in College or University. High school or lower then I don't give a fuck. I can see why you would rat them out though.