GB's Folding@Home Team - Join us to help COVID-19 research!

• 198 results
Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#151  Edited By Forcen
shikon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Yeah i saw the link today and got back into folding for a bit, I'm not sure how long I can live next to this jet engine but doing my part for now!

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is some issue now, me and others can't get new work for GPUs. not sure why.
CPU folding still works though.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

I was curious if there would be a sudden uptick in the team, it appears the answer is yes. Nice to see!

Also, hello everybody. Long time no see :p

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nintendoeats: Hey, yeah lots have joined!

BTW, I don't know if you can but could you update the title of this thread to give this new corona fighting some more exposure?

Maybe something like GB's Folding@Home Team - Join us to help CORVID-19 research!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen said:

BTW, I don't know if you can but could you update the title of this thread to give this new corona fighting some more exposure?

Maybe something like GB's Folding@Home Team - Join us to help CORVID-19 research!

Apparently I can!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the way, I'm having the opposite problem: My CPU unit won't download and my GPU is fine. I've seen that kind of thing happen before though, so I'm not worried. It always resolves itself.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Joined the team, glad to see this team is still going.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By nintendoeats

Apparently the reason people aren't getting work units is that there have been some massive compute time donations from organizations (as well as the uptick from individuals), which are consuming all of the work units as fast as they can be distributed. They are working on getting more WUs into the channel.

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32424 for more info and updates.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Forcen

The team pages are working again! Here is a screenshot of the page if it goes down again:

Here are the stats:

Date of last work unit2020-03-19 22:14:27
Active CPUs within 50 days136
Team Id138884
Grand Score792,115,136
Work Unit Count46,865
Team Ranking261 of 237107
Homepagehttp://www.giantbomb.com
Fast Teampage URLhttps://apps.foldingathome.org/teamstats/team138884.html
No Caption Provided

Here is the upload of the current diploma, find the most current one by clicking the score above:

No Caption Provided

Great job everyone! You can get personal diplomas like this going to your user page and clicking your score.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By MeierTheRed

Guess the passkeys are still backed up, haven't gotten mine yet. Not that it really matters its still folding.

Edit: Never mind shortly after i wrote this i actually got one.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find this site to be more useful for seeing my F@H stats: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=138884

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Forcen

Ohh, graphs!

We really grew, that's great!

No Caption Provided

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen: Yeah, quite rapid growth :p

morbidpixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Added 8 of my 24 Ryzen 3900X cores and a 2080 into the mix. It's not doing anything else during my 8 hour work day. After work I'll set it to "when idle" though.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By nintendoeats

My girlfriend is a doctor. Today she was getting the details from one of the residents who has been redirected to the COVID ward, and she will probably be asked to do the same in the next few days. If you don't want to be intubated by a dermatologist, stay inside and away from other people. From what she tells me, it really is that bad.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From the forum via the that overclocking forum stats page thing:

Here's a summary of current Folding@Home situation:
  • We know about the work unit shortage
  • It's happening because of an approximately 20x increase in demand
  • We are working on it and hope to have a solution very soon.
  • Keep your machines running, they will eventually fold on their own.
  • Every time we double our server resources, the number of Donors trying to help goes up by a factor of 4, outstripping whatever we do.

If you're not getting units that often like me now you know why. These are good problems to have, good job everyone!

Also I finally broke 10 million total over all the years! In comparison our team got 28 million in the last week!

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Broke 50.000 workunits now. Pretty great.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn has our productivity gone up. I reckon I won't be at the top for too long.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I already have 2M points folded with UFD Tech since I got their team number first. But hey, props to GB for the high numbers, and more people folding as a part of a team or not helps either way.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

New month, look at that difference! Great job everyone!

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By MeierTheRed

@forcen: Thats super cool to see. Kind of wish the crew was in on it as well.

Subterfudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just trying to get to the top 50,000 in overall rankings. Still gonna take a while.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Subterfudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nintendoeats:

A lowly gtx 1060 and 2700x. I gave away a second gaming rig in January which is being used by someone else for folding.

Avatar image for dark_satellites
dark_satellites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just started after way too much deliberation! I'm glad GB has a team. Contributing with an i5 6500 and a gtx 970. Every little bit counts, right?

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just started after way too much deliberation! I'm glad GB has a team. Contributing with an i5 6500 and a gtx 970. Every little bit counts, right?

Indeed, welcome!

archimedes83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see a selection available for COVID-19 just Alzheimers, Cancer, Huntingtons, Parkinsons. Do I have to make a selection somewhere else to work on the COVID-19 calculations?

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MittinsKittens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been jumping in and doing my little bit for the team. Been trying to get better about running this when I'm not doing anything tasking on my pc, especially since I'm running a i7-9700k/2080ti. Looks like I've been chewing through my Work Units when I actually remember to keep this thing going!

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=933090

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mittinskittens: Awesome! How many points per day do you get from that GPU?

MittinsKittens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By MittinsKittens
No Caption Provided

Never really left it for a day. I've probably done like 4 sessions with my client for about 2-3 hours each time and I've managed to farm 500k WU in that time between the GPU and the CPU. Not totally sure if that's great or not since I don't really know F@H, I just wanted to try and help out since I have an probably way above average PC that I idle with here and there when I just browse the internet.

Edit:- Advance Panel is currently saying my "Points Per Day" is 2,553,059~with it set to Medium Power. Dunno if that actually means anything though.

Edit 2:- Just notice you can see the split down by CPU and GPU. GPU is like 2.4mil~~ PPD with the current job going, CPU is like 60k~~ PPD with the current job going. Once again, not sure if this is actually reliable though.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's great! My 1070 does about 850k ppd! You're gonna go up the leaderboards quickly. Those numbers should be reliable for what the computer is doing right now so the number might go down if you start doing other stuff that uses GPU/CPU but that's fine still.

I think the power slider only affects what the CPU does, GPU is one speed basically.

Here are the leaderboards: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=138884 It gets the numbers from this page which updates faster: https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/138884

I think you're mixing up the terms a bit, WU/work units are you call "sessions", points is what each work unit finished gives you.

But great job, your PC is way faster than mine. You could leave it on medium while working and see how if it slows down stuff and if it does change it to idle.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marino Hey, if you want some material for the community spotlight, check out all the different graphs on this page: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=138884

In just one month we went from about 20 active users to almost 150 active users!

No Caption Provided

And total users went from about 100 to 304! This seriously exploded.

No Caption Provided

I know jeff mentioned folding during one of the bombcast because they got an email, also during one of the aftermaths. I haven't watched all the streams though, maybe it got discussed somewhere else?

Thanks for the twitter plug earlier @zombiepie, if you happen to tweet an update then you could include one of these graphs and maybe tag @foldingathome twitter? ;)

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PPD is very reliable as an average, provided you run all day. If you stop and start a lot, it doesn't tell you much except your folding power relative to other users.

I remember running on my 7970, getting maybe 150k. There was a time when 1k would be normal (before GPGPU was a big thing) The folding economy certainly accelerates with Moore's law :p

I wonder what PPD my Indigo2 would get...

hobbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jumping back on this train! We just moved to the land of super-cheap electricity (7c/kWh).

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hobbz said:

Jumping back on this train! We just moved to the land of super-cheap electricity (7c/kWh).

Wooooooo! Sup hobbz.

hobbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nintendoeats: Good to be back. I just realized I quit back in 2017 to mine crypto. This is way better.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else not getting GPU WU's recently?

@hobbz Welcome back!

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen said:

Anyone else not getting GPU WU's recently?

@hobbz Welcome back!

Yeah i have been running though my workloads fast, long periods where nothing is happening. My CPU is currently on a workload right now. My GPU doesnt have any though.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Forcen

The folding@home client got a small update, now you can pick covid-19 as a preference: https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=34466

Also be aware that the installer seems to conflict with Gog galaxy 2.0, I had to close it to be able to upgrade. Just close it before upgrading or installing folding@home.

Sometimes it takes a while to get a GPU WU but I got one pretty fast today.

EDIT: Woah, I'm getting back to back GPU units now!

druid42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen said:

Sometimes it takes a while to get a GPU WU but I got one pretty fast today.

I just started folding a few days ago with both my desktop and laptop, both with GPUs (1070 and 1060, respectively), but neither are getting GPU WUs. Is there something I need to do to make this happen? I believe I've got the most recent update (I'm able to choose COVID-19), but in the folding slots, it only ever shows I've got CPU available.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@druid42: Not a single one? You say available, do you mean that there is only one slot? Seems you aren't alone with these issues.: https://redd.it/g42vidhttps://redd.it/g4ozq7

First and foremost, tried rebooting? Maybe reinstall and reboot again?

Deleting the config file might work, it's in the FAHClient folder in programdata or appdata. https://redd.it/g399f8

What if you check if the GPUs.txt file is corrupted somehow? it should be in the FAHClient folder which itself might be locted in C:\ProgramData\FAHClient or the local appdata folders. If it is then try reinstalling and then download it here and make sure it's right before launching it or something: https://apps.foldingathome.org/GPUs.txt

It seems they soft-launched an official discord now, might also be a good place to ask: https://discord.gg/97Z2wBF

druid42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen said:

What if you check if the GPUs.txt file is corrupted somehow?

Yes, that was the problem. I don't think it was corrupted as much as it just didn't exist. The reddit thread you first cited had a link to a new text file that I just dropped right into the FAHClient folder. Then I restarted the computer, and manually added the GPU in the configure tab, and it showed up in Folding Slots list. It hasn't downloaded anything yet, but I believe that's to be expected at the moment.

Now I just have to wait for my daughter to finish her e-Learning assignments on the desktop so I can try it on there. Thanks for the help!

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Forcen

Man, lots of people with powerful GPUs! Some are getting like 3 million this week and it's fricking tuesday! Great job!

Still, I should not worry about rank that much since everyone helps and the more folders the better. Tip: You can install to multiple computers and all fold under one name and team!

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&srt=4&t=138884

Microsoft made a powershell script that makes a virtual machine that folds for you in a sandbox if you have some computers without GPU's: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-script-installs-folding-home-in-windows-10s-sandbox/

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now it's starting to get below 0 here, great excuse to fold during the day.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=138884

No Caption Provided

Looks like our active users has dropped slightly but our points per week rose quite a bit recently!

Anyone got one of those 3000 cards? How many PPD can you get out of one of those? If you have one and haven't tried folding@home you could shoot up the leaderboards real quickly!

oueddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My fans spin like crazy when folding so I tend to do it when I'm not in my office working for sanity reasons! Plus leccy is cheaper overnight 😀