How are the other Mad Max movies? Should I watch?

• 73 results
FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Guys, I've never been so quickly hype about a movie before. Mad Max: Fury Road currently has roaring positive reception with 98% on rotten tomatoes. Plus, Chris Stuckmann is going absolutely insane over it.

I'm just about as passionate as film as I am about video games or anime. There's no doubt I'll be seeing this movie in theaters but my question to you guys is should I watch the other ones before going into this one? How are they? Still hold up?

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Just rewatched all three last month. Mad Max is still incredibly, The Road Warrior continues to be a masterpiece of an action film, and Thunderdome has a lot of problems, but is still an interesting slip worth seeing.

So yes, if you are passionate about film you should see all three. Miller is the master.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Brackstone

All three are worth watching, but if you have to pick and choose, Mad Max 2/The Road Warrior is the best one to most people, and seemingly most similar to the new film, Mad Max 1 different, but an excellent revenge film in it's own right, and Beyond Thunderdome is ok for the first 40 minutes before it becomes a kid's movie.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johncallahan: just knowing the original director is the one bringing the series back just makes it that much more awesome. I love when stuff like that happens

johnnymcginley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a huge soft spot for Beyond Thunderdome. We had it in the house when I was a kid on VHS. For years it was the only Mad Max I had seen.

It's weird as hell but definitely worth watching.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By koolaid

If you had to choose one of em I would say Mad Max 2: the Road Warrior. The first one really isn't post apocalyptic and while it has some great stunts I found other parts to drag a lot. And the third one is kinda just that, the third movie that's weird and has less to say and more exists just to have another one of these movies.

Pretty much when anyone thinks of Mad Max, they think of the Road Warrior.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only one I've ever seen is Mad Max and god damn that movie is bad shit insane in every way imaginable. Would love to see Road Warrior though, though it does look quite different from the first one.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I recently watched Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior with a friend for this reason. I'd seen all three, only once each, some time ago. My friend hadn't seen any. I related it to the Evil Dead series. The first one is novel, the second builds on it and creates the definitive experience of the respective franchise. And the third movie takes it over the top in a fun, ridiculous way. My memory of the trilogy as a whole is pretty muddy, but I think I made the right call by showing him The Road Warrior.

Phili151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Phili151

I like one, but it's not for everyone and two is incredible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed8c7c6e043f
deactivated-5ed8c7c6e043f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koolaid said:

If you had to choose one of em I would say Mad Max 2: the Road Warrior. The first one really isn't post apocalyptic and while it has some great stunts I found other parts to drag a lot. And the third one is kinda just that, the third movie that's weird and has less to say and more exists just to have another one of these movies.

Pretty much when anyone thinks of Mad Max, they think of the Road Warrior.

That's how I feel. If you can only watch one, watch Road Warrior. Mad Max is cool to see the character's back story but its not necessary. Thunderdome is good for world setting in that it's the weirdest of the three. Road Warrior is just the best.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RonGalaxy

Watch 1 and 2. From what I understand, fury road comes before thunderdome (which is the third one) and after road warrior (second one). Thunderdome is barely a mad max movie, IMO, and more of a Spielberg-esque family summer blockbuster (awful sense of humor and all)

Also, I want to make a note of how novel it is to successfully reboot a 35 year old series that hasn't seen the light of day in in 30 and for the original creator to do it. George Miller is 70 fucking years old, which is around the time great directors of yore lose the sensibilities and directing instinct that made them great in the first place. Without having seen fury road, I can say that, it seems, George miller has escaped such a fate. This fills my cynical heart with so much happiness.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Watching that video made me want to punch the dude who created it. I had to turn it off when he started waving his hands, then doing that so overly enthusiastic, high-pitched, anime-girl, "OMG this is the greatest EVAR!!!!" theatricality.

On topic though, the first two movies are totally worth watching. Road warrior is an awesome revenge flick and Mad Max is one of the most stylistically competent action movies of the 80's.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: I don't find them to be amazing, just because the sandy apocalypse isn't something that interests me to the full extent, but yeah, they're worth watching. I saw them, like john- last month again. Before that, I saw each in the past, but didn't really remember them in some detail, which is one of the reasons I rewatched. I honestly watched them again because of the game, which I'm still kind of skeptical about, and I know I'll be watching the film at some point; perhaps in theater. I think if you can, you should see the originals; they're all on the same level to me overall, though perhaps I find the first to be my favorite. I like that it has the story about Max, his wife and child, and plus, it has a good theme song (well, it has a good main theme, but I'm referring to the credits one). The second and third are more closely related it feels, and what Fury Road seems to be like. Watch them, and while if you're like me, don't expect the most amazing films, but hopefully you do enjoy them; they're good.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#15 fisk0  Moderator

I like them all, Mad Max 1 is a very different movie from 2 and 3 though, kinda like how Alien and Aliens and Terminator and Terminator 2 shifted in tone and style. Still a great movie though. I'd say 3 (Beyond Thunderdome) is the weakest of them, but it's got some great moments too.

I'd say you should probably watch them all.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went back to Mad Max 1 not long ago. After not having seen it since maybe 91 or 92, sadly i remembered it being much better. Probably an age thing or my taste has changed a bit. I still find Mad Max 2 very good to this day though, that one i think holds up quite nice.

So i would say yeah go back and watch them. If your tolerance for late 70's early 80's action movies is high enough.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By Sergio

Yes, watch all three of them. The second film is probably the best one, but they're all good. Some might rate the third one as the weakest, but it's still 82% fresh.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Whenever you see clips or hear someone talk about Mad Max the second film in the series is kinda the one that everyone points to. Watch 1 if you want to see a good film on a shoe string budget. Mad Max 3 is where they go crazy with the Jesus reference, also Tina Turner and Thunderdome.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I firmly believe that The Road Warrior is one of the best movies ever created by humans.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The original Mad Max is a total snoozefest whose movie poster is more entertaining than the actual film. Mel was just a kid at the time, barely old enough to drink, and his acting was nothing to write home about.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By KaneRobot

As friendfoe whatever of the site Zodiac Motherfucker would likely say:

"NOT OPTIONAL"

See those movies ASAP. The second film is definitely the best but they're all good.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just watched Mad Max! It was weird and people say strange things in it, almost like it's not even English. I think it was kinda stylish though, especially the clothing and junkyard milieu of the locations. The bikes were also really fast, sometimes it even looked like the tape was playing at x2 speed it was so fast. The story was just OK, mostly because the lines between the actors were often bizarre. Still, it was a unique movie. I'll watch 2 tomorrow night.

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should watch the Road Warrior just to see how influential it was on the Post Apocalypse genre. Watch it and then play Fallout or Rage. It is also a cool movie.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pretty hyped. from the trailers alone i loved the look.

and tbh i've seen a couple of the movies but don't remember too much about them apart from the aesthetic and the guy chained to the front of the motorcycle (?) may watch them in preparation.

mel gibson was young at a point!

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

First is bad, second is one of the best movies of that era and the third is enjoyable, but not even half as good as the second.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By ArtisanBreads

First one is interesting, but not really good. It's pretty unique and has an odd feel that I enjoy.

Second is one of the best action movies ever (the chase scene is legendary).

Third is dumb but kinda fun as a result but mostly dumb.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes yes, a resounding yes! The first is very establishing, put still a great movie. The second is balls out crazy, in the greatest way. The third has some good parts, but I feel it's severely flawed in some ways. But check them out, it's an incredible universe and simply tons of fun.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have the time, definitely watch all three. If you just want the best of them, watch the 2nd: The Road Warrior.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would you all compare the first movie to Alien and the second to Aliens? Because I like Alien more than Aliens. Just saying.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Mad Max 1 is really gritty - I like it quite a bit but it is not really a heavy action movie (the car scenes are awesome, mainly because George Miller was happy to film it by crashing real cars - sometimes even crew members' cars)

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior is basically the Mad Max of the new film/video game idea - it's awesome.

Beyond Thunderdome: Do you like Tina Turner?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I agree with the general opinions expressed in this thread, but want to make it more negative toward Beyond Thunderdome overall.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By whitegreyblack

@frostyryan said:

Would you all compare the first movie to Alien and the second to Aliens? Because I like Alien more than Aliens. Just saying.

I would not draw that comparison, personally. I don't think the first Mad Max is nearly as strong as Alien even though it does have less emphasis on action. I thought The Road Warrior just feels like the world of Mad Max, fleshed out and expanded and well-executed.

If anything, I'd compare Beyond Thunderdome to Aliens. It's action-y and dumb and bold but still very enjoyable if you give in to it.

Seriously, though - get the hell off the forums and go start marathon-ing all three movies. ;-)

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitegreyblack: Cool. I'll definitely watch them by the time I see Fury Road next week.

By all means keep talking amongst yourselves but yeah I got my answer

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Alien: Resurrection, maybe.

If anything, I'd compare Beyond Thunderdome to Aliens. It's action-y and dumb and bold but still very enjoyable if you give in to it.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

I don't like the original Mad Max and haven't seen the others (though I do want to see Road Warrior), but I am so fucking hyped for Fury Road.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have had major problems watching any Mel Gibson movies since...well, since his meltdown.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veektarius: I'd concede that point, sure. Both are flawed but fun.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan said:

No, Aliens is all those things but it's actually good. Beyond Thunderdome not so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-62001d97f34e0
deactivated-62001d97f34e0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Road Warrior is phenomenal. The original Mad Max is okey but very boring at times, thats a film you watch and go shit they should have edited some of these scenes down. Really didn't care at all for Thuderdome interesting premise but the actual story is boring and really couldn't connect with it.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide: I think @veektarius nailed it with the comparison to Alien Resurrection. Thunderdome is a weird Mad Max movie, but I dig it.

However, I don't think Aliens has aged all that welll, outside of the performances from Lance Henrikson, Sigourney Weaver, and Michael Bein. The rest of it is cliche machismo. It's still fun and has amazing special effects, but I find some of it to be a bit cringeworthy.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitegreyblack: I agree! I respect the hell out of it but I don't think it aged nearly as well as Terminator 2, another sci-fi action sequel from James Cameron

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plus, Chris Stuckmann is going absolutely insane over it.

Who.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By datarez

Rewatched all 3 last weekend. 1 is ok, it's an indie action movie. 2 is pretty bombastic. 3 has a really fun first 30 minutes and then turns on the PG-13 rating (The other two were R) and becomes this whole other thing. That first 30 minutes though, pretty good. Also if you listened to electronic music in the 90s, just about every line in that first part has been sampled in some song somewhere.

Found this funny video about Thunderdome that I pretty much agree with.

Loading Video...

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Strife777

@hippie_genocide said:

I'm trying to keep my hype in check on this one. I naively wished that Hollywood would for once exercise some shred of restraint and keep the low-fi gritty feel of the original movies. But no. Predictably, they went full IMAX 3D Visual FX eyesocket-fucking extravaganza. I want to be clear that I think the look they went for on Fury Road is really great, I just wished it was used on another property. Somewhat disappointing, but hey it could still be a cool movie, right? If you're looking to get caught up on the series, watch Mad Max and The Road Warrior to see what I mean. Beyond Thunderdome is completely skippable. Miller was showing signs of crazy 20 whatever years ago that came out and he's apparently gone full retard with Fury Road.

They actually didn't. The vast majority of the movie is practical effects with real stunts. Digital effects were only used to remove stunt rigging and to "enhance" the environment.

Now if you just mean they went crazy with how big the set pieces and/or stunts are, I would say that just comes along with a vastly superior budget.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rate them Road Warrior > Mad Max > Thunderdome. Personally I find all of them entertaining but if you're going to watch only one I'd say Road Warrior. The nice thing about them all is that while they all tie to together they work pretty well as self-contained stories IMO.

Also worth keeping in mind that these are all pre-CGI films so all of the stunts and actions are the result of some really insane and awesome people.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#47  Edited By cornbredx

I've been a Mad Max fan all of my life (including the first film which so many people forget even exists).

Yes, watch them all.

Know that the first Mad Max (just called Mad Max) is a character film more than it is an action film so it can be slower than the other films.

Know that Road Warrior (the second Mad Max movie) is the best of the three. (edit: I should say that it's not my favorite, my favorite is the first movie, but due to it's very well done action it is the easiest to recommend and the one most people love).

Know that Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome is a goofy ass movie, but still fun to watch. It's not quite as serious in tone as the other two and that bothered some people. It also has some weird ass writing. I really like that, though.

Yes, watch all of them. I watched them all about 6 months ago or so and I still think they're awesome. I'm super hyped for the new one.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Karkarov

(prepares to be hated)

The mad max movies are not all that good, they aren't really all that bad either, they are average mostly. They have tons of buzz for some reason but they are pretty much B tier movies at best. Of the three the second (Road Warrior) is the best and it is okay as a movie in and of itself but seriously don't buy the hype. This is not going to be the greatest action movie ever made, it isn't even top 10. I say this because people will give you unrealistic expectations for these movies, except for thunderdome apparently because people are right it mostly stinks. Sorry Tina. This newest release will likely be better than all three of the originals by a noticeable margin in all but maybe stunts, and that depends on how reliant (or if it is at all) on CG effects.

Lastly... no you don't need to watch any of them. They don't even fit together all that well and every one of them is perfectly fine stand alone... in many ways they are better that way. So I can't imagine you will really be missing anything by just watching the new one by itself.

sethshandor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sethshandor
Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've watched 1 and 2, plan to watch 3 in the next couple days.

I found 1 to be pretty rough in a lot of ways. The stunts do hold up decently I would say and it is nice to see the beginnings of the character. The plot is kind of hard to follow and the editing seems pretty harsh at times. It is also barely set in a post apocalyptic setting, it more just seems like it is just set in a poor part of Australia.

Road Warrior is pretty great though. Max really shines as a great protagonist and it is overall a pretty fun action flick to watch. I do think watching 1 before Road Warrior does make it better because it gives reasoning for how Max is at the beginning of the movie.