How do you like your 'everyday' coffee - not special occasions- your go to coffee

• 123 results
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Edited By monkeyking1969

Poll How do you like your 'everyday' coffee - not special occasions- your go to coffee (567 votes)

Drip methods 35%
Espresso methods 10%
French Press methods 14%
Moka Pot methods...nobody actually does this 3%
Percolator ...I'm so old I like it sludgy & burning hot 3%
....I like it served black 45%
....Some cream only 10%
..some sugar/sweetener only 5%
...cream & sugar like Flo the waitress gives ya (Dunkin Donuts/Tim Horton) 8%
...cream and a lot of sugar 1%
...I like artificial creamer 3%
...with some perk-me-up (i.e. booze - Bourbon, Whiskey, Rum, Bailey's, Sambuca, Kahlúa, Brandy, etc) 1%
...various aerated-foams for Cappuccinos and Latte 4%
Octane - Blond 1%
Octane - Light 3%
Octane - Medium 10%
Octane - Dark/Robust 10%
Octane - Turkish, Greek, etc 1%
Octane - Navy coffee...ist is good for stripping paint & removing rust from the hull 1%
I drink tea or hot chocolate....but that's another poll 13%
I want to see people's answers 11%

So, this is a big poll, please but choose from all the categories that apply to how you make/buy your cuppa joe.

• 
Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I've been going instant, lately, cause I've been real busy, but I'll make it cowboy style if I have time. That is, I'll just boil coffee grounds and then pour it into a mug. Most of the time I use a strainer for the few bits that sneak out of the pot, but sometimes, eh fuck it.

Someone, recently, gave me the idea of putting powdered milk into coffee, which I never thought of, for some reason. Although I don't prefer milk in my coffee, I absolutely love powdered milk so I'm definitely trying this next time.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@tobbrobb said:

Drip, black and medium. I've inherited coffee taste by my parents go to, so I'm pretty much just addicted to one specific brand. But yeah, always black, I hate how milk tastes in it and sugar makes it taste a bit worse while also making that disgusting layer on your teeth. No thank you.

I don't know too much about blends or anything, but in general I prefer a little too strong rather than a little too weak, anything where you can taste the water is an immediate disappointment. I'm the same with most other drinks, so I gravitate generally to darker beer and stuff like that.

Hey FWIW watery coffee typically comes from not using enough grounds or using old coffee, not the roast itself. Darker roasts are generally more chocolatey, whereas lighter roasts are generally more citrusy or floral. Whichever you choose, though, if you use enough grounds, you won't taste the water. Mix it up and give other roasts a shot!

Also, I see a lot of people saying that they drink coffee for the caffeine, and that (presumably because of that) they only drink very dark coffee. Worth mentioning that, although there is debate on which kind of roasts have more caffeine, just about no one informed on the subject believes dark roasts have more caffeine than lighter roasts (based on the presumption that the roasting process destroys caffeine), but generally all roasts have basically the same level of caffeine (when comparing different roasts of the same bean varietal). Try some different roasts! Dark roasts are often very one-note and can more easily taste just...bad. Lighter roasts often taste way more interesting/are more drinkable black than dark roasts.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@kcin: Basically just amounts to a handful of people serving me some diluted coffee then. Cheapskates! :P

I don't mind trying other roasts, but for everyday use I do want the tried and true at the ready.

Though when I mentioned prefering a little stronger, I mean specifically a little stronger than the medium I'm used to. Not looking for any of the tar like super dark stuff, I actually want it to be tasty and I drink it black soooooo not trying to go overboard here.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#54  Edited By Chummy8

Cream and sugar. More cream than sugar tho. I don't like it too sweet.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb: Yeah, honestly, the method of preparation in which roast matters the most is when you drink it black. I encourage any black coffee drinkers to try different roasts - it's the factor in your coffee prep that, by far, has the most influence on how your coffee tastes, way above brew method. I really love lighter medium roasts (the beans are a little lighter than a milk-chocolate brown). Drinking extremely good coffee (maybe like $15/lb) is fucking sublime for me. I totally get having a tried-and-true around, though. Being stuck with a pound of coffee you don't like can screw up a morning.

To all black coffee drinkers: if you even have the slightest taste for the flavor of coffee itself, try some different roasts! Though I have to warn you: all lesser coffee will taste like ass from that point on.

CujoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In reality standard issue "Navy Coffee" is just Maxwell House. I was never sure if I really liked it, or if I just liked it because it was the only option on deployments. The best cup of the coffee is the last cup that has been smoldering in the pot for over an hour. Literal fights broke out over who got the last cup of the pot.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone else here had Turkish coffee or Greek coffee? I have tried greek coffee prepared the traditional way, or as close as it come to tradional in Boston. It is rather nice if you like a sipping very strong coffee. I only had it the one time; Although, I wish I had cause to go to that restaurant again.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By hermes
Loading Video...

OT: black, drip or espresso, medium, no sugar or sweeteners.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't drink coffee

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Tea person here. Just want to remind everyone that coffee is bad, thank you, carry on.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Personally, I like FK in my coffee :P

In all seriousness, I think coffee is disgusting. It's so bitter I don't know how people stand it. I'll take Earl Grey instead. Picard that shit up.

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By KirkyX

French press with some milk but no sugar. I grind my own beans - got a burr grinder for Christmas ages ago - but the actual bean selection around here is pretty limited - unless you're willing to order from a speciality place online - so I generally just use these, since Sainsbury's stocks them.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#64 sgtsphynx  Moderator

French press served black. When I want to indulge I will add half & half and sugar, but in general I just drink it black

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Regular ole Double Double. I also love saying Double Double in America and have every barista ever give me the "wtf is that" look.

rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I'm out I'll usually go to get a latte. At home I just use a pour over chemex, dark beans and drink it black.

Bukktown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strong, drip, dark browned with cream.

I would prefer it medium to light brown with cream but that's way too many calories with the amount of coffee I drink.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Are Moka pots really that uncommon? All I've ever used at home. And I like darker roasts, always black.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#69  Edited By big_denim

Drip coffee, 2 creams, 1 sugar.

EDIT: The real answer is the crappy syrup stuff that is free at my company's office. But when I can make my own at home, it's drip coffee.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I like free coffee - hotel, church, friends house, whatever - but if it's on me then I like a hot Vanilla Latte with whole milk.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fear I am in a seemingly short group of people who doesn't drink coffee, and never will.

As a young child (maybe 3-5) I reached for what I thought was a cup of Coke-a-cola..and instead it was my grandfathers straight black no frills coffee. Before this I had had the experience if rinsing my mouth out with saltwater (for a valid non punishment reason but I forget what) and the coffee hit my taste receptors in the exact same way.

Now, as an adult. Coffee tastes to me like hot salt water. I reflexively spit it out, think its bad for me, think the smell is assoisated with something I am not suppose to consume and would only put in my mouth under dire need, and then expect to spit it out almost immediately. I can barely stand the smell, and the thought of drinking coffee black makes me slightly queasy to my stomach.

Totally psychosomatic on my part I have alway assumed, because if you people drinking your coffee black are actually drinking something that tastes like hot saltwater wtf is wrong with you..

Unrelated note, I've had a similar reaction to other foods over the years. I know I once ate/liked black-eyed peas, now the very smell of them is enough to induce near vomiting reactions in me. Not exaggerating for effect, that is legit the case. No idea when the switch occured but these days I avoid them like the plague.

So cheers to all you coffee drinkers. I'm stuck drinking soda (which is way worse for you) to get my fix.

It's nothing like saltwater, for sure :) A lot of people get this with liquor...drink so much you get crazy sick, then just the smell of it is disgusting from then on. Never heard of it with coffee, but understandable.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Tennmuerti

I drink all kinds of coffee depending on what's on hand or what I feel like it. Really not picky on how it's prepared. Some people are into plain instant coffee so like when it takes an entire process. I just like coffee, all of it (almost), as long as it's with a teaspoon or 2 of sugar (but will do without if none is available). Instant coffee sure, starbucks sure, french press sure, ground and cooked, driped, espressos, whatever, give me that caffeine man. I like good expensive coffee and I like bad cheap coffee, there is a good place for all of them in my book. Used to only drink coffee with milk, but now it's 50/50 and I'll go black when I feel like it.

The only shit I won't touch: decaf - technically not coffee anyway, I can blind taste that pointless shit.

Cypriot/Turkish styles - because holy fuck it's almost like you're drinking the sludge with a bit of water added, not ma thing.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like part of the answers will be heavily influenced by each person's country. On some countries, only one of the options is the most common. Probably most of the western/southern europeans will automatically go to the espresso, for example.

I'm one of those from my example, so for me it's espresso with sugar.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By oldenglishc

Summer time: Aldis German Roast cold brewed in a big mason jar. Over ice with a little bit of milk.

Winter time: Same coffee in a regular-ass coffee maker. Served up black and hot.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Which one of these is 'Sainsbury's instant coffee granules with green milk'?

miserywizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get a double espresso over ice next to the place i work at in the morning, so that's what I drink 5 days out of the week. During the weekend I drink either pour over with some almond milk, or regular ol cold brew that we make overnight.

Before I moved to the US I would make coffee in an old timey percolator and drink it with milk and sugar.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dripped elegantly and smoothly through the orifice of a made in Vermont Keurig machine. Dark roast, and a touch of creamer.

DrFat32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By DrFat32

@triviaman09 said:

instant

Me too. Forget all this fancy ooh-la-la 'I take it with a sprig of wild honey blossom and a smidgen of organic Orca milk' crap. Jar, teaspoon, hot water BAM coffee.

Anyway tea is much better.

Xaopling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Xaopling

Black and strong, borderline dangerous.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black always, and when I am making it myself (most mornings) it's with an Aeropress.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't drink coffee. No option for that, oddly.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Don't water that shit down. Just give it to me straight. I have a traditional drip coffee maker, but sometimes I yearn for something like a french press. Anyone have suggestions?

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was surprised no one posted Rories "I dont get people who drink coffee" video. So much surprised that I decided to post it myself only to find that video has been purged from the internet! The best I could find was this YouTube video that I cant play because it "contains content from Victor Entertainment and is not available in my country" Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??? Does anyone know what that actually means or does anyone have a backup of this video? It must be preserved...for science!

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@drfat32 said:
@triviaman09 said:

instant

Me too. Forget all this fancy ooh-la-la 'I take it with a sprig of wild honey blossom and a smidgen of organic Orca milk' crap. Jar, teaspoon, hot water BAM coffee.

Anyway tea is much better.

On the weekends I'm totally the bullshit fancy pour-over guy, but during the week? Put some instant in that mug pour some hot water on it, that'll do.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@j_unit2008: Get an Aeropress, similar system, makes just a good simple cup of coffee amd seems to remove the bitterness from the coffee somehow.

You don't even need high end beans, though they are good too.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By kcin

@j_unit2008 said:

Don't water that shit down. Just give it to me straight. I have a traditional drip coffee maker, but sometimes I yearn for something like a french press. Anyone have suggestions?

A French press is a good choice. They are extremely simple. Grind coffee coarsely, pour hot water on it, wait 3 minutes, push plunger down, pour coffee. Other products like a Chemex, V60, or Aeropress are fantastic, but unless you buy a steel mesh filter for them (which misses the point in some cases), you need to buy replaceable paper filters. It doesn't sound like you want to get too involved (yet!), so I'd stick with a French press for now. Bodum is generally recognized as a great French press manufacturer. I have two.

If you want to get into the paper filter stuff, then an Aeropress or a Chemex are great choices. Something like a V60 requires more babying for a good cup of coffee, so I only recommend that if you like the rituals around preparing a drug for consumption (rolling a joint, for example), because that's basically what it becomes. Heh. Having said that, I use my V60 all the time.

Note that French press sizing (3-cup, 8-cup) are not measured by the imperial cup unit; a 'cup' in French press sizing is maybe the size of a completely full espresso mug. A 3-cup press produces a single mug of coffee, and an 8-cup produces roughly 2 mugs of coffee.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone here drinks Instant coffee with milk? anyone??

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoy Turkish coffee. After dinner coffee at Victoria and Albert's was from a vacuum pot. However, since I don't have time to make my own or go drive out to get turkish coffee, the Starbucks on campus is where I get my caffeine...

Weekends is guk bo tea.

@owack6 said:

Anyone here drinks Instant coffee with milk? anyone??

Like cold? Like coffee milk? A few years ago, one of our grocery stores had espresso syrup for making coffee milk and it was stupid good.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Efesell  Online

A Keurig and whatever off-brand medium roast I've gotten a hold of lately. A little cream and sugar usually but I'm flexible. Very sorry to actual coffee enthusiasts.

My grandfather was a huge fan of his very old percolator though so I have a lot of fondness for that too.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Lv4Monk

I used to be so cheap and quick with my day-to-day coffee (fast and straight black) until I got sick of the shit quality and switched to straight caffeine with whatever drink I want. Caffeine's mad cheap, yo.

Nowadays my most regular coffee is from a home cappuccino machine, a little frothed milk and a wee bit of vanilla syrup.

jojjo333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just good old coffee from the coffee brewer with a bit of milk. Can't go wrong with that!

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like to inject the caffeine directly into my bloodstream. But black is good too.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This poll should have had an option that said "black as midnight on a moonless night."

DeepSpace9MM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#95  Edited By DeepSpace9MM

Drip with some creamer.

I ain't got time for nothing fancy, so I just make a big pot in the morning and work on it through out the day. I also can't drink coffee black, because I suck. I've got to use a ton of creamer to sweeten it up, and if I'm at ihop or something I've got to use a ton of sugar and cream. If I'm feeling fancy on the weekend or something I'll break out the french press.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jkz said:

Are Moka pots really that uncommon? All I've ever used at home. And I like darker roasts, always black.

All I can say is from personal experience that Moka pots are likely one of the "less likely choices" in the US. Even the rather niche brand of "Aeropress" is coming up more than a half dozen times here. Of course anyone who walks into a roastery in the US will see Aeropress, Chemex, and a few other things mentioned here including a Moka pot; but that is likely of 1% of coffee drinkers in the US who go to a roastery.

The US has an interesting relationship with coffee. Not an entirely glamorous relationship, but a strong one.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

French press, dark roast, black.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By monkeyking1969
No Caption Provided

If you are from Southern New England, specially in and around Rhode Island, you will be familiar with coffee milk. Coffee milk, or proper coffee milk, is made from pre-sweetened coffee syrup.

As a kid coffee milk was just as big of a staple in our house as tin of Quick. My family didn't allow soda in the house. From 1969 to 1984 the only time I was allowed to have soda was on vacation or at a birthday party. But, we were allowed coffee milk or coffee frappes. I'm sure my mother didn't know this, but coffee syrup has caffeine in it. So as kids our 'caffeine fix' came from coffee milk.

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By btrdeadthanred

Coffee milk is an Australian staple too. We always had that stuff for iced coffee in the summer

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no rhyme or reason to good coffee. I make it daily at work. Sometimes it tastes terrible, other times (like today) I drink the full pot myself. But, drip, black. Although a particularly good cup of coffee paired with proper thick cream is fantastic.

But the difference between a good cup of coffee and a great cup of coffee is so minimal. I glaze over when people start talking about the precise temperature of the water and the exact brand of beans.