Latest PPV and weekly show discussion thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

A friggin' piledriver on Raw

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10652  Edited By papercut

@joshthebear: That was honestly one of the best matches those two have had together and it's a shame knowing that Cena vs Rock 2 will be nowhere as good as that Raw main event.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#10653  Edited By MildMolasses

Its amazing how times have changed that someone breaking out what was once considered a fairly standard move, is treated like the most amazing thing ever.

Supposedly Vince was pissed about it, but the thing I never understood about the ban was that the move that inspired it (Owen v Austin sitdown tombstone) was also a weird version I had never seen anyone do before, which seemed especially dangerous because the receiver's head had nowhere to go. I would have thought the regular kind, like the one last night, would still be fairly safe since the head can move to tuck in and the shoulders would take most of the impact

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#10654  Edited By turboman

A rapist boxer, a real estate mogul who teaches people the president is a shapeshifting reptile born in Israel, a gambling ballplayer, and Drew Carey. Thats some pro wrestling hall of fame, there.

The rapist and the gambler are the only two that belong there.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshthebear said:

Its amazing how times have changed that someone breaking out what was once considered a fairly standard move, is treated like the most amazing thing ever.

Supposedly Vince was pissed about it, but the thing I never understood about the ban was that the move that inspired it (Owen v Austin sitdown tombstone) was also a weird version I had never seen anyone do before, which seemed especially dangerous because the receiver's head had nowhere to go. I would have thought the regular kind, like the one last night, would still be fairly safe since the head can move to tuck in and the shoulders would take most of the impact

The problem is is that it's an incredibly easy move to botch. And if you botch that move, it's very bad (especially in this day and age of concussion awareness and neck injuries.) The WWE is also a lot more family focused these days, and there's always paranoia about kids imitating the moves that they see on the shows (which most of the moves, if imitated, can already be bad enough, but, a piledriver is especially bad for untrained people to try and do.) I mean, look at it this way, with how easy it can be to for a piledriver to go wrong, imagine if last night Punk did something wrong, the move botched, Cena suffered a concussion and severe spinal damage. The WWE's biggest star would be gone. Now, yes, most any move can be botched, but there's a scale of generally how dangerous a move is or can be if it's botched and the piledriver is certainly high on that scale.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So catching up on Raw -

I was surprised to see Swagger there at all. I know that it means odds are he'll just lose to Del Rio at Mania and be suspended for punishment after the fact. Which is really disappointing considering the lengths they're going to to make this a feud instead of just going "these two guys fight so that's why they have a rivalry" like we seem to so often get these days. Also, I really want to get my hands on Swagger's music, that is awesome stuff.

Oh boy. Trips vs Brock. Again. Thrilling stuff. Least trips looked like he pissed his pants.

Why do they hate Ziggler? Why is he being fed to people and being made to look COMPLETELY incompetent? Not only is Ziggler bringing it, but he's bringing it with help from AJ and Big E, and he's still losing while looking like he never stood a chance to win in the first place. Is it just because he's so damn good that he makes everyone else look good by being in matches with them and they feel everyone else needs to win more than him? I mean fuck, he's not even involved in a storyline heading into Mania!

I don't get what's going on with this whole Barrett/Sheamus thing. Do they just have so few faces available to do something with Barrett that they have to spread Sheamus between two stories? And why did Cesaro lose to Orton? Also, if Orton is getting involved in the whole Shield thing, then is it 4 on 3? Or is this setting up Barrett + The Shield vs Orton, Ryback, Jericho, and Sheamus? Furthermore, why are three of the champs on the show involved in no story line to speak of? Barrett's thing isn't really a story or a feud yet. Cesaro is doing nothing at all. And then, you know, Divas. The hell is going on?

SONIC! EAT AT SONIC!

Did Bo Dallas just disappear because he was so bad? I hope so.

FAN DAN GOOOOOOOOO!

Other stars on the roster continue to make Cena's strength look pale by comparison. You have Mark Henry lifting up The Great Khali and walking around the ring with him. You have Sheamus able to white-noise Big Show smoothly. You have Cesaro who is mind blowing. You have Ryback who can lift two men up on his shoulders (as long as they're small men...) And then you have Cena.. who they still try to say has the most amazing feats of strength in the WWE.

Cole - The Crossface =/= STF

Punk and Cena can have seriously good matches. It's such a shame that the main event at Mania instead will be a Celebrity match (because that's all that the Rock is anymore. He's not a wrestler, he's a celebrity, and he fills that obligatory Wrestlemania celebrity match.) Maybe the Rock could have a halfway decent match if he had any cardio to speak of...

So far the road to Wrestlemania seems like a clusterfuck of them having no idea what stories to even pursue yet... paired with the already known matches, means this Mania is looking rather sad.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fateofnever: Oh, I was never trying to imply it couldn't be dangerous. Hell all moves can screw up and hurt someone. It was more a comment on how a move can be made to feel special by its scarcity.

I understand all the reasons why it's been put on the shelf, but I always felt the catalyst was more of an extremely dangerous variation as opposed to the more mildly dangerous we saw last night. I think I've just seen to many indy idiots doing stupidly dangerous shit to each other that a vanilla piledriver doesn't really seem that bad.

Avatar image for doesitoffendyou_yeah
DoesitOffendYou_Yeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Why do they hate Ziggler? Why is he being fed to people and being made to look COMPLETELY incompetent? Not only is Ziggler bringing it, but he's bringing it with help from AJ and Big E, and he's still losing while looking like he never stood a chance to win in the first place. Is it just because he's so damn good that he makes everyone else look good by being in matches with them and they feel everyone else needs to win more than him? I mean fuck, he's not even involved in a storyline heading into Mania!

I want to know this. I'm losing patience now. I was happy to wait for Ziggler to 'have his time', but it's actually starting to seem like it will never actually arrive. If it does, I'm worried that'll it'll be anti-climactic given we've had to wait this long. Seriously, as soon as I heard Ryback's opponent was Ziggler, I just fast forwarded. It's sad.

Dynablade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Other then that awesome match between Cena and Punk, and Triple H getting into it with Brock Raw this week was kinda plain.

With nearly a month and a half left until Wrestlemania we can safely bet two matches that we've known of for quite a while Cena Vs. The Rock, and Brock Lesner Vs. Triple H will be on the card. The feud so far between Del Rio and Swagger has been a little uncomfortable especially after last night's promo. With Swagger's recent DUI I think he will lose to Del Rio at Mania.

Hopefully the next few weeks will put into perspective what other matches will come to light because it's pretty confusing right now.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10660  Edited By MildMolasses

Is there anyway that we can get Big E. some new ring attire? Particularly for his knees and foot area. His calves look smaller than my arms and are super odd compared to the block of muscle he is otherwise

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So Fox's Vortex twitter account just tweeted this regarding Saturday Morning Slam:

Loading Video...

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@fateofnever said:

I want to know this. I'm losing patience now. I was happy to wait for Ziggler to 'have his time', but it's actually starting to seem like it will never actually arrive. If it does, I'm worried that'll it'll be anti-climactic given we've had to wait this long. Seriously, as soon as I heard Ryback's opponent was Ziggler, I just fast forwarded. It's sad.

Ziggler's master class selling is his own undoing. He's so good at getting beat up that the WWE just wants him to get beat up every week. He's like the greatest Barry Horowitz of all-time.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Fox's Vortex twitter account just tweeted this regarding Saturday Morning Slam:

Loading Video...

Ok we all gotta watch this...

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Saturday Morning Slam has always been awesome.

Also, the first ever GM of SMS was announced:

Booker T named Mick Foley to the job of GM.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drx25 said:

[Rips up WWE hierarchy chart]

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Main Event Cliffsnotes:

• The announcers were Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler.
  • Sheamus defeated Cody Rhodes with the Brogue Kick.
  • Mark Henry defeated Justin Gabriel with the World's Strongest Slam.
  • A video package about Lesnar/Triple H aired.
  • A video package about Ryback aired.
  • Backstage, Cody was pissed about his loss when Kaitlyn consoled him by saying that the 'Stache doesn't give up.

Saturday Morning Slam Cliffsnotes:

• Booker T opened the show and announced that he was naming Mick Foley as the GM of Saturday Morning Slam. Team Rocket AJ, Ziggler and Big E came out and AJ said that she should be the one running the show with Ziggy. Daniel Bryan interrupts with a NO! tirade and Mick books Bryan/Ziggler.
  • Daniel Bryan defeated Dolph Ziggler with a Hurricanrana.
  • Brodus Clay and Tensai defeated Epico and Primo.
FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10669  Edited By FateOfNever
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drx25 said:

The hell is this SMS crap? Did they rebrand smackdown or something or is it just a one night event sort of thing?

Aronleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drx25 said:

Main Event Cliffsnotes:

• The announcers were Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler.
  • Sheamus defeated Cody Rhodes with the Brogue Kick.
  • Mark Henry defeated Justin Gabriel with the World's Strongest Slam.
  • A video package about Lesnar/Triple H aired.
  • A video package about Ryback aired.
  • Backstage, Cody was pissed about his loss when Kaitlyn consoled him by saying that the 'Stache doesn't give up.

Saturday Morning Slam Cliffsnotes:

• Booker T opened the show and announced that he was naming Mick Foley as the GM of Saturday Morning Slam. Team Rocket AJ, Ziggler and Big E came out and AJ said that she should be the one running the show with Ziggy. Daniel Bryan interrupts with a NO! tirade and Mick books Bryan/Ziggler.
  • Daniel Bryan defeated Dolph Ziggler with a Hurricanrana.
  • Brodus Clay and Tensai defeated Epico and Primo.

Im so ready for Cody/Kaitlyn power couple, I love AJ and Ziggy but yeah I need this.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Main Event Cliffsnotes:

I'M ALL IN FOR THIS.

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drx25 said:

The hell is this SMS crap? Did they rebrand smackdown or something or is it just a one night event sort of thing?

SMS as in Saturday Morning Slam and not Social Media Smackdown.

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only real Smackdown spoiler you need to know:

Matt Striker messed up the pronunciation of Fandango's name, so he refused to debut.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drx25 said:

[Rips up WWE hierarchy chart]

I'd like to see that flowchart from hell.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10676  Edited By joshthebear

@drx25 said:

Matt Striker messed up the pronunciation of Fandango's name, so he refused to debut.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10677  Edited By musubi

@drx25 said:

Well that....sucks? =\

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10678  Edited By papercut

Damn you Striker!

Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10679  Edited By Hadoken101

@drx25 said:

FUCK

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10680  Edited By Milkman

I told you guys that Matt Striker was a human piece of fucking garbage for the longest time. But nooo, no one wants to listen to me...

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10681  Edited By Oldirtybearon

That Piledriver should have ended the match. It was a thing of beauty.

Dynablade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@drx25 said:

Haha-HAHhaHAHAH! That made my week so far. All because of that lol.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Jericho is my hero.

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10684  Edited By dazzhardy

@drx25 said:

Debuting NEVER

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10685  Edited By papercut
InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

WWE smartly decided the best move was to just put the entire Cena/Punk match on Youtube.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#10687  Edited By turboman

SHEETZ are now saying that CM Punk and/or Arn Anderson(producer for the match) nearly lost their job over the piledriver, and Cena was the one who talked Vince down...

Don't know if I believe that or not. Punk's too big to fire and Arn sounds like he's the best road agent of all time.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

@papercut:

Also I have a question; why are piledrivers banned? I like them :(

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunslingerpanda:

It's always been my understanding that A) that move is really easy to botch and really hurt someone (i.e. Austin) and B) They are more aware now in the PG era of kids replicating moves--see A.

For the longest time I feel like the piledriver and the shooting star press were both banned. With the SSP it was after Brock almost killed himself and Kidman almost curb stomped someone with it, but then Evan Bourne comes along and he's doing it every night. And I seem to remember another famous wrestler who uses the piledriver a lot around Wrestlemania...

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10690  Edited By musubi

Firing Arn would be extremely distasteful. If you have to fire anyone fire punk. I doubt punk would even really care considering how they still treat him.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy fucking shit! Look at Jake!

Jake Roberts is pictured before, left, and during, right, his transformation thanks to his friend Diamond Dallas Page and his DDP Yoga. Roberts has dropped more than 60 pounds since starting the program last year. (Courtesy of DDP Yoga)

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10692  Edited By Wikitoups

Loading Video...

WWE smartly decided the best move was to just put the entire Cena/Punk match on Youtube.

Well now I don't have to download the enitre show!

Bravo WWE!!!

Avatar image for doesitoffendyou_yeah
DoesitOffendYou_Yeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, did I miss something, or was Jericho not on RAW this week?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10694  Edited By musubi
DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, did I miss something, or was Jericho not on RAW this week?

He was totally absent from Raw. It's furthermore why the whole Shield story heading into Mania seems like no one knows what they're doing. Cena abandons 'the good fight' because he has to go wrestle The Rock for the second time in a life time. Sheamus is dividing his attention between Barrett and The Shield. Ryback beat up Ziggler for some reason. Orton attacked the Shield from behind because Orton. Jericho unifies Sheamus and Ryback after Cena leaves just to lose a match and then miss the show the next week. I know we've still got plenty of time before Mania since they give it more time to build up than your average PPV, but, it all seems to directionless.

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stephanie McMahon got an intern to handle her opened a Twitter account.

#WhosTheREALBoss

Also a bit of news.

1) Wrestler Observer is reporting that, since Cara/Mysterio is off for Mania and, as a result, they're putting off the world record attempt for most masked people at the same time, they're thinking of doing the world record for largest Harlem Shake.

2) Maria Menounos' name has been thrown around as the person to induct Bob Backlund as she's good friends with him.

3) Social Media Smackdown will feature live polls, live Touts and Tweets from Superstars and Divas and live commentary from Josh Mathews, Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10698  Edited By papercut

@drx25:

1) Booooo

2) Weird but okay

3) Everyone is ripping off our live polls

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently the commentary for Smackdown will be live. Which is a weird thing.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Triple H and Stephanie McMahon on twitter blows my fucking mind.