audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By audiosnow

At several times in my life, I've been asked, "What are you?"

This question is usually asked in the middle of conversation, which lends context. Whether discussing politics, religion, employment, or whatever, the intent is normally clear based on the topic at hand.

But a couple of times I've been asked what I am without any obvious context. It's usually when meeting someone, during the kitschy small-talk that follows.

When this happens, I'm left thinking about how I, and people in general, think of personal identity.

So, I was curious: What are you? What is the primary identity with which you identify yourself? What's that single categorization label that overrides the rest on the most basic level?

PS: Reading back over this, it looks like the most blatant piece of false-intellectualism I've ever written. Oh, well...

PPS: And if anyone posts to this, let's keep the responses clean and respectful, yeah? Cheers!

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By killacam

i would be like... wha?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I understand what you're getting at. I don't have a answer for you though.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By audiosnow

@killacam: Yeah, it usually leads to me looking confused, and them clarifying. Ninety-percent of the time they're asking what I do for a living.

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nonused

Cougar.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Honestly, if asked outside of any context I'd ask them to clarify what they meant. But, if forced to choose one defining label, I guess I'd say I'm human, anything beyond that would feel too specific.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By GeekDown

Just out of context, I find it impossible to answer. It's also a pretty weird question to just ask someone. I can't recall having someone ask me that actually.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Aronman789

I'm me.

returnofjake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By returnofjake

I'm the dude.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

Ah, now that's a question that's plagued my mind for centuries, and I don't think I've ever come up with a definitive answer. After all, it's quite difficult to do so when you can change so much about yourself with but a mere thought, and everything you would identify with yourself is tied up with so many other entities.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@mlarrabee I'm a cunt...

Ok now that the clean and respectable is out of the way, I don't honestly know how to answer this question.

I could pick the easy answer and say 'writer' as I feel that is a single word answer that describes what I love, my work, and my personality to a certain extent.

But that is almost a cheat, as it ignores the fundamental truths of who I am.

I've always projected an air of slightly self deprecating self-confidence, but just like your favourite movie dickhead with a heart of gold, I'm secretly very unsure of myself and forever questioning my self-worth or why anyone would ever take me seriously or like me (or, at the risk of getting yelled at by my fiancée, why anyone would ever love me).

I'm cold and distant naturally, yet warm and tender with a select few. I'm naturally peaceful, but have been horribly violent. I'm a fantastic liar, and take some pleasure from it which probably makes me morally bankrupt, yet it's that same ability channelled that allows me to write.

I think I'm just rambling at this point haha. Short answer is, honestly, I don't even know. Functional, maybe?
Irishranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Irishranger

"Just a hard-working guy trying to get through life."

I've actually started saying this to people who want to know more about me. Some are confused by it, some laugh and it works well as an ice breaker. I find it's a good opener for people to get to know my personality. If they aren't too uptight, it usually leads to us becoming good friends.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Jeust

I am my very own idea of a man.

Irishranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Irishranger

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@mlarrabee I'm a cunt... Ok now that the clean and respectable is out of the way, I don't honestly know how to answer this question. I could pick the easy answer and say 'writer' as I feel that is a single word answer that describes what I love, my work, and my personality to a certain extent. But that is almost a cheat, as it ignores the fundamental truths of who I am. I've always projected an air of slightly self deprecating self-confidence, but just like your favourite movie dickhead with a heart of gold, I'm secretly very unsure of myself and forever questioning my self-worth or why anyone would ever take me seriously or like me (or, at the risk of getting yelled at by my fiancée, why anyone would ever love me). I'm cold and distant naturally, yet warm and tender with a select few. I'm naturally peaceful, but have been horribly violent. I'm a fantastic liar, and take some pleasure from it which probably makes me morally bankrupt, yet it's that same ability channelled that allows me to write. I think I'm just rambling at this point haha. Short answer is, honestly, I don't even know. Functional, maybe?

Wow, it's like I just looked in a mirror. No bullshit. Honestly.

tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@Irishranger

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@mlarrabee I'm a cunt... Ok now that the clean and respectable is out of the way, I don't honestly know how to answer this question. I could pick the easy answer and say 'writer' as I feel that is a single word answer that describes what I love, my work, and my personality to a certain extent. But that is almost a cheat, as it ignores the fundamental truths of who I am. I've always projected an air of slightly self deprecating self-confidence, but just like your favourite movie dickhead with a heart of gold, I'm secretly very unsure of myself and forever questioning my self-worth or why anyone would ever take me seriously or like me (or, at the risk of getting yelled at by my fiancée, why anyone would ever love me). I'm cold and distant naturally, yet warm and tender with a select few. I'm naturally peaceful, but have been horribly violent. I'm a fantastic liar, and take some pleasure from it which probably makes me morally bankrupt, yet it's that same ability channelled that allows me to write. I think I'm just rambling at this point haha. Short answer is, honestly, I don't even know. Functional, maybe?

...what if I'm another personality living in your head?

Think about it
Irishranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Irishranger

@Tim_the_Corsair: Lol, yeah, I hope so. It would make my life more interesting!

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Enigma777
@Nonused

Cougar.

Panther
jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By jimi

Nerd

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MikkaQ

Usually when people ask that out of the blue, they're asking what your occupation is, so I tell them I'm a student.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Chop

God

To be serious, the first thing that pops into my head and the first thing I tell people is "asshole". Strange, I know, but that's how it goes.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By audiosnow

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@mlarrabee I'm a cunt... Ok now that the clean and respectable is out of the way...

Oh, I'm totally cool with that. I'm just trying to keep the "I'm a Buddhist/Christian/Democrat/Republican/Pro-choice/Pro-life" posts from being followed by terrible @replies.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By Dagbiker

BATMAN

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By UnrealDP

@Gamer_152 said:

Honestly, if asked outside of any context I'd ask them to clarify what they meant. But, if forced to choose one defining label, I guess I'd say I'm human, anything beyond that would feel too specific.

Totally. It's a super boring answer, but the only thing that comes to mind is "human", also "you first".

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Scooper

I am.... annoyed by that ridiculously vague and pointless question.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BoOzak

@Jimi said:

Nerd

That's a pretty broad category, but I cant think of any other way of describing myself without going into depth...

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By jimi

@BoOzak: I'm a pretty broad guy.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By benspyda

I hate people who ask that question because they judge people on their career path (or hobby) and not them as a person.

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BrickRoad

I'm the heir to the Luna Throne. Well, I will be once I *wink* knife *wink* those who stand in my way. Oh wait, I winked but still said the incriminating word. Ah whatever, what happens on the Moon stays on the Moon.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By WickedCestus

Some guy once asked me "What's your thing?", and I responded with, "I...like...videogames?". As for what I am, I am an anime character. You can tell because I'm crazy.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not a human

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By Jeust

@BrickRoad said:

I'm the heir to the Luna Throne. Well, I will be once I *wink* knife *wink* those who stand in my way. Oh wait, I winked but still said the incriminating word. Ah whatever, what happens on the Moon stays on the Moon.

You're Video Game King's son! Nice to meet you!

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By beeftothetaco

My friends call me Edge, because I live on it.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By habster3

Time bomb

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By audiosnow

@Video_Game_King: You should watch out. This guy wants to kill you and take your moon throne:

@BrickRoad said:

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ajamafalous
@Tim_the_Corsair said:
I've always projected an air of slightly self deprecating self-confidence, but just like your favourite movie dickhead with a heart of gold, I'm secretly very unsure of myself and forever questioning my self-worth or why anyone would ever take me seriously or like me (or, at the risk of getting yelled at by my fiancée, why anyone would ever love me). I'm cold and distant naturally, yet warm and tender with a select few. I'm naturally peaceful, but have been horribly violent. I'm a fantastic liar, and take some pleasure from it which probably makes me morally bankrupt, yet it's that same ability channelled that allows me to write. I think I'm just rambling at this point haha. Short answer is, honestly, I don't even know. Functional, maybe?
Are you me?
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ajamafalous
@beeftothetaco said:

My friends call me Edge, because I live on it.

Man I just laughed super hard.
Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Patman99

Depends on the context. If I was talking to a person outside of my country I would say that I am a "Canadian". If asked inside Canada, I would say that I have a French and Irish heritage. If talking about occupations I would say archaeologist. Really depends on the context. I dont think I could sum up my existence with only one word.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jrinswand

I don't know. I'm a lot of things. What a silly question.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By TehFlan

I'm christian.

tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@ajamafalous
@Tim_the_Corsair said:
I've always projected an air of slightly self deprecating self-confidence, but just like your favourite movie dickhead with a heart of gold, I'm secretly very unsure of myself and forever questioning my self-worth or why anyone would ever take me seriously or like me (or, at the risk of getting yelled at by my fiancée, why anyone would ever love me). I'm cold and distant naturally, yet warm and tender with a select few. I'm naturally peaceful, but have been horribly violent. I'm a fantastic liar, and take some pleasure from it which probably makes me morally bankrupt, yet it's that same ability channelled that allows me to write. I think I'm just rambling at this point haha. Short answer is, honestly, I don't even know. Functional, maybe?
Are you me?
Maybe I am
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By penguindust

I am what others perceive me to be.

Avatar image for thewholedamnshow
TheWholeDamnShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheWholeDamnShow

I wanna be the very best, that no one ever was.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ajamafalous
@Tim_the_Corsair said:
@ajamafalous
@Tim_the_Corsair said:
Are you me?
Maybe I am
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#44  Edited By Little_Socrates

We all operate in multiple identity circles. To describe myself as simply "white", "straight," or "male" would be inappropriate, as in circles filled with straight white males I might take on the identity of "pop culture consumer," or I might take on the role of "grieving youth," or I might take on the role of "social liberal." We all have multiple social identities, as much as social institutions ask us to boil ourselves down further.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#45  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Jeust said:

@BrickRoad said:

You're Video Game King's son! Nice to meet you!

Not exactly. I have no children, and ever since the Kingdoms united, inheritance of the throne was abolished in all its forms. Besides, even if he were to kill me (and that's a great if), that is no guarantee that he would become King. Very few are capable of handling the powers of the crown, and those who seek it and can't are doomed to death.

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By OmegaChosen

@Enigma777 said:

@Nonused

Cougar.

Panther

Tyrannosaurus.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@Aronman789 said:

I'm me.

Me be.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By sweep  Moderator

A slice of lemon, wrapped around a large gold brick.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By Justin258

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@Irishranger

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

...what if I'm another personality living in your head? Think about it

Strangely enough, you described myself as well. Only I don't have a fiancee.

Which is weird...

tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@believer258

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@Irishranger

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

...what if I'm another personality living in your head? Think about it

Strangely enough, you described myself as well. Only I don't have a fiancee.

Which is weird...

What if we're all personalities inside someone else's head?

Maybe we are the darkness behind Brad Muir's omnipresent smile