Pitcher robbed of a perfect game by a bad call.

• 58 results
Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Ace829
Link.
I know there's already a topic on this, but the OP didn't even explain what he was talking about so I decided to make a proper thread about this.

This is one of the biggest blown calls in the history of baseball. I don't even know where to start except MLB needs to get out of the stone age and implement some instant replay.
This is why we need it so bullshit like this doesn't happen in the future.
What are your thoughts on this? Also, if you don't care then don't bother replying.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

Didn't someone just post this?  >.>

EDIT:  TC makes a good point.  My bad.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Edit: Ah, true.  I had no idea what the OP was talking about before reading the comments.

Avatar image for natural_deadhead
natural_deadhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By natural_deadhead

I don't care.
fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fini_fly
@Ace829 said:
I know there's already a topic on this, but the OP didn't even explain what he was talking about so I decided to make a proper thread about this. 
So why start a second topic? It just fragments the conversation.
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By DanielJW

I don't really care about baseball, but having played a lot of sports I can understand the frustration when a ref makes a bad call. Judging by the boondoggle here I imagine nobody was very happy, especially the pitcher. Poor dude. 

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ace829
@fini_fly said:
" @Ace829 said:
So why start a second topic? It just fragments the conversation. "
True, but someone who clicks on the other thread will read the OP and be left confused whereas this thread will give you an idea as to what happened.
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cstrang

It's bullshit.  He should have gotten the stat.

Garfield01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Garfield01

No Caption Provided
The runner was clearly safe.

/sarcasm
Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Castro

Yeah, I totally had a joke response in the other thread. I don't know much about baseball and everything I know about it I learned from Bases Loaded. This is pretty fucked up though.

Garfield01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Garfield01

Yes. Yes I did.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By natetodamax
@Ace829: When you say instant replay, do you mean reviewing the plays during the game like they do in football? Because on TV they do instant replays all the time.
cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By cap123

soccer/football has the same problem, all the fans and players are calling out for the referees to be given replays during the game, but the FA (football association) are not listening to them. One arguement is there will be less stuff to argue and talk about if the calls are mostly always right, and referees decisons are part of the game. It's understandable even if it is a bit silly, but the pain of an awful decision totally outweighs that.

There was a recent event in the soccer world where a player was hugely offside (a place where there not allowed to be) but the goal was given. We're talking a huge margin.

the no.18 in white is meant to be behind those purple guys.
C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By C2C

With a sport like baseball, I think that instant replay to aid refs in calling this sort of thing out is warranted.  

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ace829
@natetodamax said:
" @Ace829: When you say instant replay, do you mean reviewing the plays during the game like they do in football? Because on TV they do instant replays all the time. "
Yeah, like they do in football.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@natural_deadhead said:
" I don't care. "
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#17  Edited By AgentJ

Bad day for baseball. Ken Griffey Jr retired and a perfect game was blown by an umpire. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By jakob187

The rule is that you have to have complete control of the ball by the time that your foot is on the base, right? 

That is not COMPLETE control of the ball.  That was at the tip of the glove working its way into the glove. 

HOWEVER...if you look right after that, there was complete control of the ball.  That was a bad instant replay freeze to look at.  Instead, go to where the foot is about to touch the bag.

CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By CSXLoser

Just came back from 10 minute rant by my friend about this. When he finally finished, I told him " I dont watch baseball"

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By FireBurger

Yeah, they need to institute insant replay to more sports. Either put it at the discretion of the umps/refs or give the coaches a certain number of challenges like American football or tennis. 

The people who make the claim that ump/ref calls are "part of the game" have an incredibly stupid argument. Yes, it's part of the game, but only because it was instituted that way due to technological limitations of the time. Clearly, the intent from the beginning was to have the most unbiased, accurate calls (or they would let the players dispute it), so instant replay is simply the logical next step on that same path.  

Besides, the game should come down to and be decided by A) What actually happened, not what someone thought happened, and B) The actual actions of the players who have practiced their whole lives to perfect their game and not some fat slob of a ref who can't see straight. It's absurd.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Milkman

Even the runner knows he was out immediately. 

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ace829
@Milkman said:
" Even the runner knows he was out immediately.  "
Hah! Yeah I noticed that too. If that happens then you know the ump fucked up big time.
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dany

That is complete bullshit.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Skytylz

Yah, I saw this on SportsCenter, I would have been pissed if I was him.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By Claude

MLB is worried about slowing the game down. But if you notice on disputed calls, the game slows down anyway as the manager comes out to dispute said call. If MLB had instant replay for close calls like this, not just home runs which they do use instant replay, baseball fans would have three perfect games this year and within a month of each other.

Hell, it might speed the game up, manager disputes call, umpires look it up and then you're done. At least give the managers three chances to use instant replay, something like the NFL but with no penalties.

I thought the umpire should be fired or suspended in the other thread, but now I realize he has to live with this the rest of his career and life. The whole thing sucked wasn't even really a close call.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By yakov456

What are the odds that this ump gets death threats? The guy should have practically started the out call before he even got to the bag, 9th inning, 2 outs, does he have a personal vendetta towards this pitcher? Seems the only possible explanation.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FrankCanada97

Even the ump later said he made the wrong call.

Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cazamalos

i'm from the same country as the pitcher, i don't understand how a long time MLB umpire could miss an out like that, it's not even a "close call" ,but  for me Armando pitched a perfect game :)

you Americans capitalist you just want to sabotage Venezuela like you did with Cuba and Castro, that umpire is from the CIA and wants to kill my president (<--- obviously a joke) 

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By mosespippy

Instant replay is simply needed sports. If it weren't for instant replay the Philadelphia Flyers would have lost tonight and gone down 3-0 in the stanley cup finals. The refs made the right call twice tonight because of instant replay, and there is no outrage or drama unlike in soccer or baseball when refs make the wrong call.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Milkman said:
" Even the runner knows he was out immediately.  "
And even he was visibly saddened by the call. What horseshit. 
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By apathylad
@Ace829:  
So, what does this "perfect game" business mean? I don't know what's going on and why people are upset? Which guy was the quarterback? 
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Milkman

They keep showing the replays on TV and every time I see it, I just feel sick to my stomach. It's one of things where every time you see it you are hoping that he just signals out. Just terrible. Feelings go out to Galaragga and that umpire. That call will hang over his head for the rest of his life.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Crono11
@Milkman said:
" They keep showing the replays on TV and every time I see it, I just feel sick to my stomach. It's one of things where every time you see it you are hoping that he just signals out. Just terrible. Feelings go out to Galaragga and that umpire. That call will hang over his head for the rest of his life. "
Yeah but at least the Ump admitted it was a bad call.I don't know if anyone has seen what Galagagga had to say afterward but I have a lot of respect for him. He could have lost it on the Ump but he kept his cool and props to him for that.
lmenzol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lmenzol

baseball is boring

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ace829
@Apathylad said:

" @Ace829:  So, what does this "perfect game" business mean? I don't know what's going on and why people are upset? Which guy was the quarterback?  "

A perfect game is defined by Major League Baseball as a game in which a pitcher (or combination of pitchers) pitches a victory that lasts a minimum of nine innings and in which no opposing player reaches base. Thus, the pitcher (or pitchers) cannot allow any hits, walks, hit batsmen, or any opposing player to reach base safely for any other reason—in short, "27 up, 27 down". The feat has been achieved 20 times in the history of major league baseball—20 times since the modern era began in 1900.
Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bluethunder35

Total bullshit. Armando got screwed over and the umpire admitted it. If there's any justice, they give him a Perfecto but they won't have the fucking balls to reverse the decision. As far as I'm concerned, that's Perfect Game #3 regardless of what MLB says. 

Yes, I'm a Tigers fan.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By elko84

hahaha what an idiot umpire.  fire that dude.  yes the mlb needs to instate instant replays for this exact reason.  stupid umpires.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#38  Edited By armaan8014
@cap123:  I know! It's SO irritating when referees make wrong decisions in football!
Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ace829
@Bluethunder35:  Look on the bright side. He's the first pitcher to record a 28 out perfect game. XD
Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Quacktastic

Well, he's still a millionaire and professional athlete.  So, I don't feel too bad for him - but I bet that ump feels like crap after seeing the replay.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JoelTGM

Can't they just like, redo the call and fix it? 

riffingt0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By riffingt0n
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" Can't they just like, redo the call and fix it?  "
They're apparently discussing that now.  I hope they make the right decision and reverse that one.  The only people in favor of not reviewing this seem to be folks who feel this kind of human error adds to baseball in some way, which is a pretty poor argument.
carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By carlthenimrod

Hopefully they will reverse the call. This is a special enough circumstance to do so. It is not like Cleveland would have won otherwise.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Perfect games are becoming a common occurrence these days, no big loss

threeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By threeve

@cap123 said:
" soccer/football has the same problem, all the fans and players are calling out for the referees to be given replays during the game, but the FA (football association) are not listening to them. One arguement is there will be less stuff to argue and talk about if the calls are mostly always right, and referees decisons are part of the game. It's understandable even if it is a bit silly, but the pain of an awful decision totally outweighs that.

There was a recent event in the soccer world where a player was hugely offside (a place where there not allowed to be) but the goal was given. We're talking a huge margin.

the no.18 in white is meant to be behind those purple guys. "

I can't believe actual fans of the game would request instant replay.  Soccer/football is a game that doesn't stop.  It's 90 minutes continuous.  I don't know of a way to implement a replay without slowing the game down too much.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By crusader8463

Two things surprised me about this.

One, that base ball doesn't have an instant replay rule,I always assumed they did. And two, that people actually watch base ball anymore. Not saying anything against it, I played softball my entire childhood until I broke my ankle and couldn't play anymore, but I just thought baseball was having huge problems with attendance in the stadiums and what not. Like even the world series games had tons of empty seats kind of problems.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ace829
@crusader8463:  There is instant replay in baseball, but it is only to determine whether or not a ball is fair or foul, or whether a ball is a home run or not. Unfortunately, it doesn't affect the more important parts like whether a runner is safe or out. This may be the catalyst needed to get instant replay expanded even more. As long as Bud Selig isn't a stubborn fool about it.
cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By cap123
@threeve:  We don't expect it to be every time there's a call to be made, but if the managers and players and the whole rest of the bloody world saw something the referee didn't he should have the ability to look at the replays. It should be implemented on the goal lines in my opinion, and for general play in special circumstances (i.e a sneaky elbow away from play, or maybe even if a fight breaks out, see who was doing all the fighting. Too many times do players get red cards when they were just trying to break things up for example.)

By all means just tell the players to shut up and play the game if they're asking for a replay because they think it was a corner rather than a goal kick.
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@Godlyawesomeguy said:
" @natural_deadhead said:
" I don't care. "
"
But I see you care about pimping your post count. Good job. 

Yeah, baseball needs to drop this tradition of no replays and get with the times.
btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By btman

I almost feel as bad for the umpire as I do for Galarraga.  Still sucks real bad for him knowing you DID pitch a perfect game and you won't go down in history because of a botched call.  I hope the MLB decides to reverse the call and give him the perfect game.  And they badly need instant replay.