Question about iTunes

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By choffy21

I'm about to re-format my Hard Drive, and I have all of my Documents, Pictures and everything else I need on my USB Drive, but my iTunes Library won't fit. My friend said he might lend me his External Hard Drive, but there's a chance it won't happen.

I was wondering if there was a way to keep my music without an External Drive at all. I was thinking that maybe if I plug in my iPod, I would be able to just transfer everything back over (purchases and all). I dunno if that's the case or not, but I can't imagine it being that much harder.

Any input / suggestions / corrections you guys can give me would be appreciated
twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By twenty0ne

You can just keep it on your iPod. When you put the songs onto your new computer, you're going to need to authorize the computer to use them. It's free, but you can only authorize three computers (I believe).

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

You can redownload purchases from the iTunes store, but you can't copy music from your iPod back over to another computer.  I've heard that there are utilities available to do this, though.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By choffy21

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. I'll wait for my friends answer, but in case it's still a no-go, nice to know I won't loose everything.

Thanks mang
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Yeah, just disable the auto syncing, and you can drag and drop files into the ipod on itunes and then delete them from your computer and they'll stay on your ipod. Although to get them back onto your computer you can't use itunes, but there are downloadable programs that can do that for you.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By twenty0ne
MB said:
"You can redownload purchases from the iTunes store, but you can't copy music from your iPod back over to another computer.  I've heard that there are utilities available to do this, though."
I've done it before though.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mike
twenty0ne said:
"MB said:
"You can redownload purchases from the iTunes store, but you can't copy music from your iPod back over to another computer.  I've heard that there are utilities available to do this, though."
"
Not with iTunes you haven't.  Of course if your entire library was purchased from the iTunes store then it doesn't matter because you can simply redownload everything whenever you need to, but there is no native way to copy music from an iPod back into iTunes.  You need a third party utlity to circumvent Apple's copy protection measures.
twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By twenty0ne
MB said:
"twenty0ne said:
"MB said:
"
Not with iTunes you haven't."
Yes I have. I just got a MacBook in September and I transferred all my songs through my iPod. All I had to do was authorize the computer to use my songs with my ITunes account.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mike

Look up, I was editing when you replied.  I'm pretty sure that even with iTunes store purchases that they are redownloaded through the store and not copied from your iPod.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By choffy21

It's not a different computer. My same one, I'm just reformatting it.

Shouldn't make a difference, right?
twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By twenty0ne
MB said:
"Look up, I was editing when you replied.  I'm pretty sure that even with iTunes store purchases that they are redownloaded through the store and not copied from your iPod. "
Someday I'll try again to verify, but I'm almost positive I transferred them through my iPod. 

I don't have a storage device large enough to transfer my whole library except for my iPod, and I'm positive I didn't re-download them because that would have taken ages.

In conclusion, Choffy, be cautious with this one.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mike
choffy21 said:
"It's not a different computer. My same one, I'm just reformatting it.

Shouldn't make a difference, right?
"
I don't think so.  Does your entire library consist of music purchased through the iTunes store?
choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By choffy21

No. Mostly CD's

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Wolverine
twenty0ne said:
"You can just keep it on your iPod. When you put the songs onto your new computer, you're going to need to authorize the computer to use them. It's free, but you can only authorize three computers (I believe)."
Its actually up to 5 Computers.
lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By lebkin

On an authorized computer, iTunes will copy any iTunes Store purchased items back into a library that does not have them.  This does nothing for items bought from other stores or imported from CDs.

That said, if you put your iPod in disk mode, you can easily access all the songs.  Access the iPod like you would an external harddrive, and then open up one of the hidden folders (it'll be the largest one).  All the file names will have been changed due to how files are structured on the iPod, but iTunes will still be able to read all of the tags correctly.  You can simply copy this folder of music to your computer and then re-import it into the new install of iTunes.  NOTE: the iPod Touch and the iPhone do not have a normal disk mode, and thus this won't work with them.

Alternatively, there are several 3rd party applications to remove music.  The program I have had the most success with is YamiPod, which can be download from free.  A quick Google search should get you a link.  You also might want to check out iLounge.com.  Its a large website dedicated to iPods and should be able to help you further if you need it.

DavidPalmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By DavidPalmer

I believe you can actually de-authorize computers in order to make sure you still have that 5 limit intact. Otherwise you're going to get screwed over time as you get new computers, etc your music will be invalid.

Well, until the DRM is totally gone for iTunes music that is.