So, The Trailer for POKÉMON Detective Pikachu is out...

• 54 results
Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

And... what? I'm not sure why, and I haven't kept up with the news, but I always thought this was going to be an animated movie, produced in Japan and localized for the West, just like the other Pokemon movies. I never expected to be live action. Anyway, the CG looks ok, but seeing Pokemon walking around in the real world is... weird / getting too close to the Uncanny Valley effect.

Also... What?!

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Laughed my butt off.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

They blew it.

Loading Video...

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the pokemon look fluffy and huggable.

My hope is that it's either great or so bad it's good. If it's mediocre that would be the worst outcome.

Avatar image for securityguruguy
SecurityGuruGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Shit....I am actually really excited for this now.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't even like Pokemon, but this trailer actually got me excited. It's just weird enough to work.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Looks amazing!

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This actually looks really good. Kind of can't believe it.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh no no no no, No Pokemon with tactile fur.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Me going in: "What's this stupid shit?"

Me after the trailer: "I need this now!!!"

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Looks like that tone could work...though the lack of Dany Devito is troubling...

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess they did the best they could if they were determined to go with the ultra-realistic version of Pokemon, but I still feel like cartoons shouldn't be literally translated to live action. It either comes off super awkward or ends up being horrifying.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Hey man, this looks like it's going to be a blast for a younger audience and maybe even pretty fun for Pokemon fans that grew up a bit in the meantime.

Not too crazy about Ryan Reynolds cause he's so prolific as Deadpool these days thats all I can hear.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you would have told me three months ago that I'd be excited for both the new Transformers movie and the Detective Pikachu movie I would have time travelled into the future and punched myself in the face, but here we are. Now I have to figure out a way to talk my six year old out of his irrational Pokemon hatred because we are seeing this.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I’m kinda losing my shit at realistic CG Pikachu voiced by Ryan Reynolds. This movie could be terrible, but at least they are GOING FOR IT with their translation of Pokémon into a live action setting. At the very least, you don’t have to work super hard to be more interesting than the Detective Pikachu game apparently was.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nicksmi56

I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about this. I like some of the designs (Charizard) and dislike others (Greninja, why does it even have fur?). Realistic Pokémon in general is going to take some getting used to. The movie just looks and feels...odd and because of that I can't really say I'm 100% on board.

But on the other hand, hey, they kept the Jigglypuff gag from the anime! Pikachu is an average Pikachu and not some weird mystic one like the game from what I could tell! Tim being a failed Trainer is a pretty cool angle to go with and fleshes out the universe in a way we haven't seen yet! I wanna see that Charizard vs Pikachu fight for how goofy it'll probably be! Are Greninja actual freaking ninjas here?? And I'm always down for another Lilo and Stitch-esque friendship story as long as it's done well!

So I guess I'll see it (not that I have a choice, my Pokémon mega-fan girlfriend has basically decreed that I'm going XD). I may be utterly baffled by it, but I'll see it for myself.

Also, I'm at least glad that they're going all in and making this an actual Pokémon movie rather than some "Pikachu travels to the real world" deal like the live-action Sonic movie, which will shatter my heart.

mavs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poxéls

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing I know about Pokemon are the ones they put in Smash. But, this movie still looks fun. I won't go to the theater to watch this, but I will definitely watch it at home whenever it is available.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've been imagine Detective Pikachu as Danny Devito for the past 3 years so I think casting Ryan Reynolds as an annoying whiny Pikachu sucks and is so boring. Aside from that I don't hate it, I just think it is so bizarre. The concept is weird and the Pokemon look kind of disgusting but I don't hate it. This is legit something you imagine in a dream and think about all day like how the fuck did my brain come up with that.

Damenco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never liked anime and not understood this culture. It's also not like pokemon

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give me all dem Rare fur effects.

Tunnelman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m excited to see it! It should be a great pick for my monthly movie club ticket. It took a direction that I wasn’t expecting and I wanna know how weird it’ll get with people/Pokémon interactions!

AzlamOrlandu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have kids, so I will be seeing it either way. But this actually looks mountains better than what I expected. *cautiously optimistic*

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MobiusFun

Finally, a "Who framed Roger Rabbit?" for the modern age.

I don't normally care about movies but I'm oddly excited for this one? Not getting Danny Devito was still a mistake though.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have it in me to be cynical about this tremendously batshit film, and am happy to give in to its big, furry yellow balls. If there isn't an internet campaign to get some Oscar buzz going around this, we have failed as a civilized society.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#27  Edited By liquiddragon

This looks fun but psyduck looks fucked up.

No Caption Provided

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@liquiddragon: Psyduck is fucked up.

Personally I think this looks much more interesting than the game it's based on.

I agree that Danny Devito would be better but Ryan Reynolds seems to be doing an okay job.

rabincrabmink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

uhhhh this look amazing? i am 100% into this

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@boozak: Psyduck looks like either it has seen some shit, or has been doing back alley meth.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t care about Pokémon but this movie looks promising with it’s snarky Pikachu wearing a little detective hat.

blackadder88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More reasons to hate Pokemon

blackadder88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By blackadder88

@mobiusfun: Rodger rabbit look way better than the this .. Space Jam look way better than this. Howard the Duck look better than this

Avatar image for deactivated-63c06c6e81315
deactivated-63c06c6e81315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I'm surprised, this looks fucking amazing, I didn't expect them to actually go for it and craft a world around this story. Pikachu looks adorable and I love Ryan Reynolds. I appreciate the Mr. Mime Reflect gag at the end, I hope there are multiple specific references to the games like that.

@nicksmi56 said:

I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about this. I like some of the designs (Charizard) and dislike others (Greninja, why does it even have fur?).

Greninja definitely doesn't have fur in the trailer.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By soulcake

Should pokemon have hair?, should pokemon talk?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This...is...INCREDIBLE. A bunch of people spent so much money to make an honest try of this.

Guaranteed that although Pokemon has of course always been popular (given how long big Hollywood projects take to get off the ground) the massive blow-up of Pokemon Go in the news got this greenlit.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnymyko: I want to live in the universe where that is real.

MaxxCanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never could get into Pokemon, despite several tries, yet I saw this trailer and all of its glorious weirdness and want to see the movie immediately. It's amazing to me that this got made and will exist in 2019.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

seems bland, forgettable and a waste of time. Then again I haven't touched a pokemon game since the 90s, so this clearly isn't for me.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Whatever, it is fine. Once you get over Pikachu talking at all, they next step about who matters a lot less in my opinion.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like a lot of people, I heard they were making this movie and assumed it was an anime they were having Ryan Reynolds dub over. What this ended up being, I am incredibly surprised it ever got made. It doesn't look bad though.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks great so far. I am also highly entertained by all the folks who have extremely passionate opinions on fur. I didn't realize that creatures having fur was such a deal breaker.

Spindini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no connection to Pokemon and I can't wait to see this.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47  Edited By BisonHero

I legitimately cannot tell if the people who chose the music for this trailer are trying to make a callback to the North American N64 Smash Bros. ad, but that has to be the case, right? RIGHT?!

Loading Video...

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

The Pokemon look weird but it seems like it could be a fun kids movie.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

CGI cartoon characters and live action don't mix. It really looks freaky.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I thought it was a fan film or a joke or something for a second but it actually looks like a lot of fun. I don't think I would want to see the anime adapted into a movie, so this is probably the best thing they could do with a live action Pokemon movie. Sign me up.