The MOST 90s song? - updated

• 192 results
ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Ah, fuck! I can't believe I've done this. The answer was right in front of me all along... THIS is the most 90s song:

Loading Video...

We've got Chumbawamba performing a song that uses Microsoft's slogan from the time while hand-wringing about this whole "internet" thing. It's close to peak 90s.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Onemanarmyy
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Daddy DJ is 2000, but still very 90's

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#103  Edited By Danteveli
Loading Video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo

ultimate 90's song cuz it started 90's

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I posted Lisa Loeb earlier in this thread, but after seeing a different suggestion, I'll all aboard for Ace of Base - All That She Wants.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I change my answer to this because of the 90s were all about boy bands and NSYNC was arguably the biggest. It also introduced the world to the musical treasure that is Justin Timberlake who would go on to basically be my generation's Michael Jackson.

Loading Video...

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since this is now a competition i think my original post wins hands down, I would also add Kriss Kross- Jump.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me the 90s was all about Dance and Rave.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Mirado

The 90s were weirder than most decades when it comes to music, as it probably contains the most (and most popular) instances of new genres (or little known ones from the 80s) blowing up only to all but burn out of the general consciousness within a few years, with grunge at the forefront (it technically started in the mid-80s, but didn't hit the mainstream until the early 90s, but whatever). That makes it kinda hard to nail down a "most 90s" song, as you can get very different answers depending on what part of the 90s you decide to pull from.

Seems like grunge is already covered, but who could forget the swing revival of the late 90s? Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Lou Bega, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy played the fucking Super Bowl halftime show, etc. Actually, most of that is terrible, so I don't blame you for forgetting it.

90s Eurodance/beat was a real staple in my group (a lot of my friends were wayyyyy into rhythm games), so that's probably my go-to for immediate 90s nostalgia. Besides the ones already mentioned (and a big high five to @themanwithnoplan for Running In The 90s and @fisk0 for the 2 Unlimited - No Limit shout out, that one always makes me laugh uncontrollably when I hear it now), I've got a ton of personal favorites (and personal "favorites"). Hope you like Initial D!

But when it really comes down to it, there's only one song that deserves the title of most 90s that hasn't bee/n mentioned yet:

Loading Video...

Right from the bong rip, you know you are getting two minutes and fifty three seconds of pure 90s.

(Actually, I'd argue that Alien Ant Farm's cover of Smooth Criminal is the most 90s song/video ever made, but it came out in 2001. Here's a refresher anyway:

Loading Video...

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#109  Edited By Monkeyman04
Loading Video...

slatterg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Loading Video...
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Its is impossible to say what is the most 90s. At what intersection of music and culture do you want to ponder?

Is that answer a downer? No, because any reductionism of a time when all intersections of society were gaining a voice is in fact uplifting.

madpierrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I've got to say Giantbomb users have pretty much nailed this. Only 3 pages in and it basically feels like the answer is somewhere in here, haha. Sorry if someone mentioned this, I skimmed through so I might of missed it, but the answer the the Friends theme song unfortunately, right? Maybe something Boys 2 Men since they seemed to set record after record for most weeks at #1.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Has anyone mentioned "Nate Dog(g)? & Warren G - Regulate" yet? I don't know if it's just because I'm west coast or not, but that song was inescapable for a while. I'm not even the biggest hip hop fan.

User_Undefined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By User_Undefined

While they may not be the MOST 90's, both of these impacted me due to the movie they were in.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_h: Weren't these only really popular in Canada though? Whenever I talk about this stuff to friends from the US they have no idea about any of the Eurodance/Candance songs that were popular in the late 90s except maybe Barbie Girl and The Vengabus.

renegade1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Now if you're talking 80s I'm in

emphulio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By emphulio
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Bomfunk: never knew if this was big outside of Finland
Cardigans: song was in Gran Turismo 2 intro
Chumbawookiewnpa: song was big during 1998 world cup of soccer

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@onemanarmyy said:
Loading Video...

That appears to be some later edit (Starsplash timeframe perhaps?). Here is the one that was a smash hit around here and which sounds a bit more 90s:

Loading Video...

agentoharah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#120  Edited By agentoharah
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Loading Video...

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emphulio: I think the single for Freestyler didn't come out until 2000, which is when everyone actually heard it. It does have that 1990s spirit though.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agentoharah: Those are two more really good suggestions, especially with the references in the second song.

One more from me:

Loading Video...

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Shindig
mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By mrcraggle
Loading Video...

Insert Mr. Six here

Loading Video...

The most 90s? Probably not but I wanted to give this song some love and remind people that No Doubt put ska on the map for America (while not even being a full on ska band).

Loading Video...

Surely I mean 'The Impression That I Get' right? That's the song most people probably associate with the MMBT but I'm choosing Someday I suppose for one reason: it was in Clueless and you can't get much more 90s than Clueless.

Loading Video...

Despite being massively successful in the UK and throughout Europe, Take That may actually be fairly obscure to a lot of Americans but you can't deny the 90s cheese on display here

Loading Video...

We were all clearly having way too much fun in the 90s and the early 2000s. That just seems like a common theme throughout these songs regardless of the songs subject matter. These songs just couldn't be made today because no fun allowed.

Bluprintz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because this is a video game site about video games... I humbly submit MORTAL KOMBAT!

https://youtu.be/EAwWPadFsOA

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Monkeyman04

@bluprintz said:

Because this is a video game site about video games... I humbly submit MORTAL KOMBAT!

Loading Video...

https://youtu.be/EAwWPadFsOA

fixed for the lazy.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224 said:

I change my answer to this because of the 90s were all about boy bands and NSYNC was arguably the biggest. It also introduced the world to the musical treasure that is Justin Timberlake who would go on to basically be my generation's Michael Jackson.

Absolutely, boy bands were representative of the 90s and the combination of homogeneous mass media and CD industry. But by no metric were NSYNC the biggest, this dubious honor probably belongs to either Take That or the Backstreet Boys, but I don't want to debate this. I was sort of disgusted by the pretense and the pandering going on there.

Anyways I saw the remake recently and was reminded of this, also an example of how through dance culture and this music video the anime became popular or at least culturally present.

Loading Video...

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't stop thinking about this thread. I've gone a 90s binge and it's all your fault, @captain_insano!

We already had one Savage Garden song, but this one feels even more 90s to me:

Loading Video...

I forgot all about jam bands and just how big they became in the 90s. The Grateful Dead and their ilk had been around for years, but the 90s saw a whole new generation of jam bands break into the mainstream:

Loading Video...

(or Run Around, whatever one you were more exposed to.)

I think The Offspring takes the crown for "most consecutive 90's-ass 90's albums" with their run of Smash, Ixnay on the Hombre, and Americana. We already had Pretty Fly for a White guy listed, which is probably the most 90s thing they ever did, but Come Out and Play's video is just as "good".

Loading Video...

You better shut this thread down by the end of the week, as the bracket is going to be enormous. The 90s was simply a clusterfuck and you probably could pull "yep, that only could have happened in the 90s" songs for months.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By ShaggE

@mirado: Haha, glad I'm not the only one addicted to this thread. Even with all the songs I've mentioned, I have 100+ more in mind. :P

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, I screwed up. This is the right answer. It might mean absolutely nothing to an english-speaking audience, but if you asked a hundred french-canadians what song better encapsulates the 90's, all hundred of them would chose this.

Loading Video...

"Bientôt disponible bientôt, Kuwait/Irak en Nintendo!"

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

No, wait, hang on a second.

I need to rescind my previous post. This, THIS is the most 90s song ever:

Loading Video...

Good heavens, I never knew that the full edit of the song was 12 minutes long.

FormulaDeuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thought I'd threw in a few that I believe deserve consideration to be in the running of this most 90's-ness of music contest:

Loading Video...

This one got a lot of radio play for what felt like half the decade. It's a pretty easy going song and a little more joyfully to listen to than say: Losing My Religion by R.E.M.

(For the record: I like the R.E.M. song better)

Loading Video...

I fell like one-hit-wonders almost have a larger impact on how we view an era of music, compared to the more successful bands of the time.

Loading Video...

Machinehead also deserves a mention, but this somber song is just so distinctive of the time. I don't think a song like this could really be made outside that decade.

Loading Video...

I'm pretty sure the bomb crew have mentioned this song and how people confuse it with being by Pearl Jam.

Loading Video...

You know what was popular in the 90s? Skateboarding You know what went well with skateboarding? Punk Rock You know what was a big puck rock song at the time skateboarding was popular? Check Above

Loading Video...

I don't remember this one getting as much radio play as some of the others, but it certainly got its MTV play. You can argue that the video is what made this song so popular at the time, but you can't deny what decade this song belongs in.

Loading Video...

As soon as this one hit, it was just everywhere. This one maybe a little of a stretch as I feel this type of song could work beyond the decade, but it was big in 98-99 so there.

Alright that's enough for one evening. I'll try my best not to add to this already stacked thread.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
@formuladeuce said:

You know what was popular in the 90s? Skateboarding You know what went well with skateboarding? Punk Rock You know what was a big puck rock song at the time skateboarding was popular? Check Above BELOW

Loading Video...

I think you meant this. Seriously, is this or is this not a gaming forum?

My vote still goes to All That She Wants, though. Early 90s Swedish pop masterpiece.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of all the invasive melodies to get stuck in your head, this has to be a top contender. Apologies.

Loading Video...

Slowly turning music videos into tease/softcore. Certainly a formative experience for some.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I saw this poll was a thing this was the first song that came to mind. The second is Two Princes by spin doctors, followed by "Life is a Highway" by Tom Cochrane.

Note:

For people who have already answered, I will pick one or two songs from the lists that you have provided - ideally to cover an area that may not have yet been mentioned.

In a couple of weeks I'll set up a new set of topics with a tournament bracket and polls so we can get to the ultimate MOST 90s song.

The song has to have been released in the 90s to qualify.

What do you think is the MOST 90s song?

Not necessarily the 'best', but the song that really typifies the 1990s for you?

Obviously there's a broad range - you might be into Grunge, so Smells Like Teen Spirit = 90s. Or maybe the rise of pre-fab bands with Spice Girls or Hanson.

My answer, really, has to be:

Loading Video...

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#138  Edited By Tom_omb

@ben_h: Prozzak absolutely belongs on this list, their 98 album Hot Show has some iconic 90s songs.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Also, you Getting Jiggy with it fans are all picking the wrong Will Smith era:

Loading Video...

Just looking for some glaring omissions now, needs more PotUSA:

Loading Video...

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#140  Edited By notnert427

@damodar said:

I don't know if it's necessarily the MOST 90s song, but the thing that instantly came into my head before anything else was this bad boy:

Loading Video...

I....I can't dispute this. It's 90s as fuck. There were more popular and much better songs, but this cheesy/catchy song is quite possibly the best snapshot in time for the 90s as a decade. It has off-the-charts levels of "oh, this song". I never even liked it much, but its presence was/is undeniable, and I think anyone who lived through the 90s knows most of the words to it, whether they wanted to or not. It bored its way into your head via sheer osmosis because it was simply that ubiquitous. If you went to a mall, you fucking heard this song.

TLC - Waterfalls is also a pretty solid answer. There was roughly a 95% chance of that music video being played if you flipped on MTV, and that only increased when MTV later incessantly poured one out for Left Eye like she was Mother Teresa. I like that Seal's Kiss from a Rose is being acknowledged here as well. It is fittingly the sole thing that endures from an era of awful Batman movies. The same goes for Coolio's Gangster's Paradise, which deservedly overshadowed another insufferable "white person saves minority community" movie.

I didn't care much for Spin Doctors, TLC, Counting Crows, et al., and a lot of shit like Hanson, Chumbawamba, the Macarena, Mambo #5, Spice Girls, NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, et al. is indefensible (and was even in its heyday), but some 90s songs are still my motherfucking jams. I loved bands like Soundgarden, Nirvana, AIC, Third Eye Blind, Sublime, Green Day, The Offspring, etc. (and mostly still do), 90s rap/hip hop is still far and away the peak of that genre, and there were so many awesome one-hit wonders like Blind Melon, Harvey Danger, Everlast, etc.

Say what you will about 90s music, but they fucking went for it. There was an enthusiasm to it that I still really appreciate. Even fairly terrible shit like Smashmouth kinda owned their crappiness and jammed the fuck out anyway. It all felt so random, too, like music was more open to various bullshit than any other time period in history. Seriously, when people like Alanis Morissette rose to the top out of nowhere, it was a goddamned free-for-all, and it became this glorious shitshow that I still largely have a real soft spot for.

Great thread. All the nostalgia.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

HayFourZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By HayFourZee
Loading Video...

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@notnert427 said:

TLC - Waterfalls is also a pretty solid answer. There was roughly a 95% chance of that music video being played if you flipped on MTV, and that only increased when MTV later incessantly poured one out for Left Eye like she was Mother Teresa. I like that Seal's Kiss from a Rose is being acknowledged here as well. It is fittingly the sole thing that endures from an era of awful Batman movies. The same goes for Coolio's Gangster's Paradise, which deservedly overshadowed another insufferable "white person saves minority community" movie.

This nearly made me do a spit-take. And yes, would they stop making that movie?!

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It's weird that some 90s songs, like "Good Riddance - Time of Your Life by Greenday", I really identify more with the 2000s (maybe because every high school graduation ever used it).

Whereas Blink 182, while they straddle the threshold, have some 90s songs such as

This one I'm not 100% sure on - the album came out in 1999, but the single was released separately in 2000:

Loading Video...

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac said:

@notnert427 said:

This nearly made me do a spit-take. And yes, would they quit making that movie?!

The irony here is that Mother Teresa is a foreign (Albanian) person who went to the poor districts in India not to help people but preside over death houses, and watch people "suffer like Jesus suffered". While the donations her Order received mostly went to recruit and proliferate the mission. At least Michelle Pfeiffer's character brought education and not Raptorjesus. From what I can glean from Gangsters' Paradise, I haven't seen Dangerous Minds.

What these bottom-feeding for-a-laugh comedians don't tell you, is that the Origin of this "person goes to save minority" tale is mostly (Christian) religious mission, that they the comedians somehow twisted into a racist thing against "white" people.

The nineties were of course the time of the multiculturalism lie extended to its furthest. Ethnic mixing was all the rage, hip-hop wasn't just for minorities. Gangster rap and basketball peaked in their popularity. We were all just a big happy colorful family (at least on the TV), then came the age of terrorist attacks and war on terror. People realized that cultures aren't quite as open and welcoming as their restaurants!

The nineties were objectively terrible, we were all subject to the mass media delusion, the lowest common denominator pop culture and people knew it at the time. Nobody felt like music is breaking new ground and those who spoke out or were different were presumably simply excluded. Meanwhile we got shit that is just catchy, harmless or on message. This doesn't change my fondness for the music because of the memories associated with it, but we live in a better more grounded society or at least now there are choices.

Loading Video...

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By penguindust

When I think about the 90's, one song at immediately pops in my mind is 1990's Jesus Jones Right Here, Right Now. I was in college at the time when it started climbing the charts, so it brings me back to those days when everything felt like it was changing like never before.

The 90's are mostly about all of the alternative music and rap I listened to in the 80's going mainstream. These might not be the most iconic of the decade but they're some of my favorites.

Beastie Boys - So What'cha Want (1992)

Halcyon On and On - Orbital (1993)

Loading Video...

Hip Hop Hooray - Naughty By Nature (1993)

Big Empty - Stone Temple Pilots (1994)

Toadies - Possum Kingdom (1994)

No Diggity - Blackstreet (1996)

Criminal - Fiona Apple (1996)

The Crossroads - Bone Thugs-n-Harmony (1996)

Blink 182 - Adam's Song (1999)

Finally, has any high school graduation since 1999 commenced without Vitamin C?

Loading Video...

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

OK, has anyone post Ginuwine's "Pony"? If not, here it is:

Loading Video...

Also Pearl Jam's Alive, only if somebody hasn't mentioned it yet:

Loading Video...

TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By TheKramer89

don't know if it's come up yet, but The Cranberries - Zombie, and Linger

Avatar image for blastprocessing
BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Afro_Stevens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot believe this hasn't been posted yet. This is my vote.

Loading Video...